plans for next season

JustMike

heard from someone that works at SMS that they are getting shot of the current catering company and going in house. Plans to revamp the concourse catering outlets and improve food, which inlcude, amoungst other things, going organic and have salad available. :-)

heard from someone that works at SMS that they are getting shot of the current catering company and going in house. Plans to revamp the concourse catering outlets and improve food, which inlcude, amoungst other things, going organic and have salad available. :-)

I heard this last week from a couple of lads who work there as well. Compass are the catering company and their contract is up at the end of the season so Cortese has decided not to renew and bring it in house. Apparently he wants gourmet food and people served twice as fast. They were also talking about a "super bar" which would have about 20 tills and just sell beer. There wasn't any talk about what beer they'd be selling though.

I heard this last week from a couple of lads who work there as well. Compass are the catering company and their contract is up at the end of the season so Cortese has decided not to renew and bring it in house. Apparently he wants gourmet food and people served twice as fast. They were also talking about a "super bar" which would have about 20 tills and just sell beer. There wasn't any talk about what beer they'd be selling though.

If they don't start stocking real ales, I'm not renewing my ST.

Was this linked to the cash-card idea?

Don't think so but lads I spoke to weren't sure. They also mentioned they were thinking of a system where you could pay for your halftime pint before the match, get a ticket and then pick it up quicker at half time - bit like they do at theatres. This was only an idea though - don't think it's definite.

When I went for a run yesterday there were 2 people in a car conducting a survey by the footbridge over the railway line on the SMS side.

Does anybody know what this is about ?

I think I saw the word "Sustrain" on a piece of paper, but cannot be sure.

Could this be the 1st step towards trying to get a Station at the ground ??? (x number of people use this route during the week etc.)

p.s. Nicola, the Charlie Millar mural on the Footbridge could do with a touch up of paint in certain areas if you have a few bob spare.

Very good. You're on form early in the morning! Shouldn't you be sewing on that 'Motorhead' patch to the back of your leather jacket???

Highway to hell mate! Oh and spoke to Gareth yesterday - he's up for a ST next year as well (beardy weirdy ales permitting of course).

When I went for a run yesterday there were 2 people in a car conducting a survey by the footbridge over the railway line on the SMS side.

Could this be the 1st step towards trying to get a Station at the ground ??? (x number of people use this route during the week etc.)

p.s. Nicola, the Charlie Millar mural on the Footbridge could do with a touch up of paint in certain areas if you have a few bob spare.

More likely "Sustrans". Usually linked with cycle routes.

http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

Could it have been "Sustrans" which i thought was to do with promoting more use of bicycles?

edit - what vectissaint said, oops

A few years back they used to have a separate bottle bar; it only sold half litre bottles of Carlsberg for £3 or £3.50, can't quite remember. Cash only. It was a great idea and meant you didn't have to queue for ages for a very poor pint. They should give it another go.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
A few years back they used to have a separate bottle bar; it only sold half litre bottles of Carlsberg for £3 or £3.50, can't quite remember. Cash only. It was a great idea and meant you didn't have to queue for ages for a very poor pint. They should give it another go.

No, it meant you had a much shorter queue for a very poor pint...

Because the average football fan is known for his love of a health diet. :smt120

No, it meant you had a much shorter queue for a very poor pint...

Admittedly Carlsberg in a bottle is not the best; but its infinitely better than the stuff that comes out of the taps at SMS. That barely qualifies as lager, and having to wait 15 minutes for the "pleasure" of drinking it just adds to the insult.

More likely "Sustrans". Usually linked with cycle routes.

http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

Could it have been "Sustrans" which i thought was to do with promoting more use of bicycles?

edit - what vectissaint said, oops

Thanks to both of you for pointing me at Sustran, (i could have sworn it was Train).

Anyhow I've now found this, which may be of interest to some who park in the St Denys area on match days.

http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/news/news_detail.php?item=Work+starts+on+new+riverside+route+for+Southampton

They were sussing out how many people go running near the footbridge over the railway line, hence "Sustrain"

Admittedly Carlsberg in a bottle is not the best; but its infinitely better than the stuff that comes out of the taps at SMS. That barely qualifies as lager, and having to wait 15 minutes for the "pleasure" of drinking it just adds to the insult.

Quite!

Would be a nice touch to bring in some good local ales, possibly ringwood brewery?

Or Hop Back Brewery, or Cheriton, or... come on.. I don't live in the UK anymore...

Does anyone at the club realise why people arrive at the ground so late? It's because we've sprinted from The Junction, Castle, Guide Dog, etc etc after having a final swift pint. The potential turnover with a decent pint is massive. Let me talk to Mr. Cortese: I speak Italian and French and will explain to him the full implications!

Actually, 5000 turning up earlier and having an average of 2 pints is a decent bit of turnover. Definitely worth a few barrels on stillage, I'd say!

Indeed, especially if all the food is in house now so all profit will be going straight to the club.

i stopped and answered his questions - he was a swindon fan from devizes. hairy bloke.

Still do mate. In block 41 at least.

If you want to wear a chunky sweater and drink glasses of foul-smelling ditch water, grow a beard and find your local glee club where you can "hey-nonny-nonny" to your hearts content.

On the other hand if you want to drink sterile fizzy ****, wear strange leather shorts, grow eidelweiss and yodel then stay in Austria.

Had a weird dream last night. Saints had modfied the stadium in preparation for the new season and the fans were invited to an open day to look around. You had to get into the ground using ladders up the side of the stadium and the pitch had been replaces by a massive swimming pool. We were all complaining because the water was too cold, the water slides blocked our view of the pitch/pool. The beer was still crap and Mike found an anaconda in the shallow end. We all went outside and started singing "Cortese out"

Not sure if any of this will come true...

I would agree with the idea of bringing in Ringwood bitter - good pint that.

Always wondered why footie clubs don't offer grub franchises to the likes of Burger King or McD's and KFC. Not saying I would buy the stuff they serve up, but it would be a win-win situation. It would also offer them a chance to expand their range of grub with a BK-Pie or McBalti-Pie!

Give me a good pint of real ale and I'll have a half time pint. Why not get Ringwood in as a supplier? Keep it nice, keep it local.

Marstons have developed fastcask - a bright-ready way of serving real ale that is much better suited and less tempremental for large-scale events including sports events. They have patented it and now supposedly licencing to other smaller local brewers.

I'm all for a revamp of the catering. When I buy my pasty at half-time I have to wrap it in a half-dozen serviettes an stuff it in my pocket until near on the final whistle. Only then has it cooled down enough to eat. Do they have a thermonuclear reactor in the oven in the Northam end or what???!

And let's get rid of the sh!te lager.

But the most important thing next season......

Is to win the bloody division!!