New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Steve Williams wanted to leave, and Case was a great signing for us. Nicholl's achievements as Saints manager were considerable when you look at the budget he had. Unlike Lawrie, who had a top chairman in Woodford, I think Nicholl had to work under the odious Askham.

Agree - Williams left for Arsenal for big money and Lawrie paid Brighton peanuts for Jimmy Case who was brilliant for us.

Chris Nicholl was cursed by following Lawrie, if he had followed Branfoot he would have ended up as one of the clubs great. i also recall the fans getting all upset as he got players like Gerry Forest and there were comments that he was buying a division 2 side. We had been spoilt by having high profile players and the grumbles continued. I still believe that the Rod Wallace MLT and Shearer forward line was the best i ever saw. Wallace and MLT scored some terrific goals together and their golden performances away to QPR and home to Liverpool were outstanding. They linked together superbly and it is sad that the pairing split too early by the club not paying Rod a decent wage and him having a rift.

Agree and it was a 4 man attack by the way, you left out Paul Rideout! I was at both those games and that team was bloody brilliant!

O'Neill (although unlikely of course),Mowbray,Tisdale,Howe,Adkins would be my order of preferences.

Might fit KK in there somewhere but again can't see it happening.

Would agree with your list until you mentioned KK - but I would also add Sean O'Driscoll into that list. On the face of it, pretty unlikely but I think he's taken Doncaster as far as he can go with them & he may see us as a better long term prospect (and we will probably pay better as well)

Would agree with your list until you mentioned KK - but I would also add Sean O'Driscoll into that list. On the face of it, pretty unlikely but I think he's taken Doncaster as far as he can go with them & he may see us as a better long term prospect (and we will probably pay better as well)

Fair point on SOD.

Fair point on SOD.

Of course if we do appoint O'Driscoll it will seem bizarre typing SOD to be an inoffensive term.

And if we appoint Zola, may I be the first to chant Zod off Zola if we are not ten points clear by the new year ?

Ok being as pedantic as ever. I was meaning in the last 10 or so years. Pearson didn't really stay long enough to have a long term impact but fair point.

Would be good to have someone with ambition and drive, not just someone who couldnt really care about the club looking for a pay day.

So only young managers have ambition and drive do they? I think Mr Ferguson might disagree with you.

Heard some gossip today from someone who met someone on Friday who was on the pitch for the Swindon game.

Atmosphere in the dressing room was "like a morgue", many players disappointed that AP had gone. No one knows why, lots of rumours. But those rumours of a bust up / sex / drinking don't have anything behind them - the suggestion being they've been put about to justify the decision. It's an open secret inside the club that NC and AP weren't getting on.

No news on the new guy but, judging by today, ASAP is necessary.

Out of the current crop of alleged candidates I'd go for Adkins. Strikes me as an intelligent guy, plays good football (on a shoestring budget), and probably has his best years ahead of him.

I agree he has the experience of guiding team out if this league whilst playing good football. My only concern would be whether he can handle the pressure of managing 'big club'. But i guess only one way to find out !!

Les Reed, apparently choosing manager says

I have also mentored some high profile names in coaching including Alan Curbishley, Peter Taylor, Stuart Pearce, Gianluca Vialli, Sammy Lee, and Mark Hughes. I was the original designer of the current UEFA pro Licence

I have trained and qualified a number of the game’s current managers and coaches at that level including the likes of; George Burley, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, David O’Leary, Gary Mc Callister, Steve Bruce, Gary Megson, and have tutored a group which included, Steve McClaren, Peter Reid, Iain Dowie, Phil Brown, Gordon Strachan, Dario Gradi and many other current managers and coaches. I have conducted countless coaching courses at National and International level at home and abroad, qualifying and influencing over 2000 coaches world-wide from novice to International standard.

During his six-week spell in charge, Reed managed just one victory and his Charlton side were knocked out of the Carling Cup by Football League Two side Wycombe Wanderers. Reed's spell at Charlton became infamous as certain sections of the media attacked him on a regular basis, nicknaming him "Les Misérables" and "Santa Clueless"

Les Reed's win % = 14.28% Almost as bad as the worst Saints mgr since 2000, Steve Wigley.

However, in his CV he says 'My win- tie-loss ratio is 70%-15%-15%'

Yes I think that ratio is from some junior england sides. We generally pick the big guys who can bully the smaller opponents at that age.

He also was the Technical Director at the FA for many years and was responsible for all the fine well coached England players that have been winning all the World Cups and European Cups for us these past 12 years...... (Shurely schome mistake? Ed). He took over from Howard "long ball" Wilkinson...

Les Reed, apparently choosing manager says

I have also mentored some high profile names in coaching including Alan Curbishley, Peter Taylor, Stuart Pearce, Gianluca Vialli, Sammy Lee, and Mark Hughes. I was the original designer of the current UEFA pro Licence

I have trained and qualified a number of the game’s current managers and coaches at that level including the likes of; George Burley, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, David O’Leary, Gary Mc Callister, Steve Bruce, Gary Megson, and have tutored a group which included, Steve McClaren, Peter Reid, Iain Dowie, Phil Brown, Gordon Strachan, Dario Gradi and many other current managers and coaches. I have conducted countless coaching courses at National and International level at home and abroad, qualifying and influencing over 2000 coaches world-wide from novice to International standard.

who from that list? Maybe that Pardew bloke? ;)

I have heard tonight that Alan Curbishley will be appointed early next week. Just got a text saying hot tip, and I'll buy you a pint if I'm wrong but Curbishley will be appointed early next week. From a guy never ever known to have bought a pint for anyone in his life.

I have heard tonight that Alan Curbishley will be appointed early next week. Just got a text saying hot tip, and I'll buy you a pint if I'm wrong but Curbishley will be appointed early next week. From a guy never ever known to have bought a pint for anyone in his life.

One of my worst fears. Turdishley is like a shorter version of Pardew but without the personality.

As I said on a previous post last night he is another Burley - did a good job once but probably won't repeat it again.

That is a hit tip.

I predict Glenn Hoddle. by the law of averages I might be right for one !

Great! :facepalm: