New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Zola now into 6-4 with VC and 7-4 with Skybet with Adkins slightly odds on! Sounds like concerted money for Zola ( alibeit it doesnt take a lot to move these markets) what I really want to know is, who is Rolf Fringer at 12's!?????????

He managed the Switzerland national team along with numerous Swiss football clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Fringer

there is nothing to this "wow" rumour - if they knew it was a wow apoointment then radio 5 would know who it is and would have said.

Not really, it is conceivable that some of the media were simply given the nod that the new manager would be appointed next week and would provide a wow factor.

there is nothing to this "wow" rumour - if they knew it was a wow apoointment then radio 5 would know who it is and would have said.

Go to 1:21:20

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tmdtb/5_live_Sport_04_09_2010/

Five Live didn't say "wow factor". People have made that up in a game of Chinese whispers on this forum.

Ian Dennis said he recieved a text that it is an appointment that will be "someone that will prove to the fans that Cortese knows what he is doing" and will be by the middle of next week.

Ian Dennis said he recieved a text that it is an appointment that will be "someone that will prove to the fans that Cortese knows what he is doing" and will be by the middle of next week.
So a friend of Ian Dennis rates him. Wow, he must be brilliant then.

My random thinking....

Young, English, success on CV, possibly player-manager.

(Ignoring the 'Wow' bit for now - although there was that comment from the twitter agent that said Saints fans would be happy).

Wonder if the 'success on CV' has to refer to management success? Maybe a well known player having his first management job? Could fit with Reed's 'guru' position *cough*. Maybe he might be a mentor to someone.

Any fading players around who have had previous dealings with Reed?

Is it too much of a stretch to think we might get a former 'big name' player in their first management role?

Pardew was a "wow" appointment, certainly at the time for most people. Will do very well to get a similar profile person

no he was not......I remember so many saying "im underwhelmed" when pardew was announced..mostly because of his terrible record previously with charlton

pards turned out to be good for us...however, life goes on and he 18 months or so is pretty average life span for a league manager to keep his job

Pardew was a "wow" appointment, certainly at the time for most people. Will do very well to get a similar profile person

For me, Pardew came to us having been a failure at West Ham and Charlton, so the impression given was of somebody who had been a reasonably big fish, having to drop down the divisions to re-establish his credentials. At the time, I would have much preferred Curbishley and that is where I am at now too. Pardew has to a certain extent raised his profile again, but the sceptics who might offer him a job now will cite his failure to get us into at least the play-offs with the largest budget in the division and the assumption will be made by many that if he was so employable and indispensible, why is he not still here? Rumours that have surfaced on here, will have surfaced elsewhere, so to a certain extent, he is damaged goods, rightly or wrongly.

Frankly.......I feel Saints are becoming an unattractive position for many managers. There is little stability. There is little opportunity to attract new players even on loan. Anyone with another option would take it rather than manage at SMS at the present time. The new manager will , in my view, fall well short of a "WOW" from the vast majority of fans.

Frankly.......I feel Saints are becoming an unattractive position for many managers. There is little stability. There is little opportunity to attract new players even on loan. Anyone with another option would take it rather than manage at SMS at the present time. The new manager will , in my view, fall well short of a "WOW" from the vast majority of fans.

where is there any stability in football..?

why cant someone bring in loans here..?

why...?

again...where has this "wow" thingy come from?

where is there any stability in football..?

why cant someone bring in loans here..?

why...?

again...where has this "wow" thingy come from?

If only I knew why! Just seems Saints are media "unfriendly" for whatever reason, right or wrong. That doesn't help a new incumbent. Maybe nobody would attend the "unveiling" whenever it occurs.

I think the "WOW" thing was from a pundit on BBC5Live allegedly "in the know"......maybe others can clarify if not

Am I the only one who doesn't want Howe?

I just don't think our players would take to him and also would struggle to get a high standard of players in.

Can't really knock his record but it's all in League 2.

No you're not the only one. Howe may walk on water at Bournemouth, but here he would more than likely be a failure. Remember we're talking Bournemouth FFS! That's not to diss what he's achieved at L2-L1 level - it's great. But to take Saints through to the Prem (the key stated aim) would need a HUGE leap of faith from NC frankly and so I see him as an 'also ran'.

No you're not the only one. Howe may walk on water at Bournemouth, but here he would more than likely be a failure. Remember we're talking Bournemouth FFS! That's not to diss what he's achieved at L2-L1 level - it's great. But to take Saints through to the Prem (the key stated aim) would need a HUGE leap of faith from NC frankly and so I see him as an 'also ran'.

again...why does the person we appoint now HAVE to be the one to take us to the prem...

blackpool got out of this league...was holloway their manager

forest got out of this league..was davies their manager.

I would be surprised if who we appoint in the week would be the manager should we get to the prem...

I disagree.

There is plenty of managers licking their lips at the moment, just look at the list of names linked, I grant you though, a third of them are imo not up to it. I suppose the leading question is how much control does the manager actually have and that is a question we do not know the answer to.

The finances are there, the stadium, the infrastructure, a team until recent years that was in the top flight for nearly 30 years, to me this is a great opportunity for the right person although the demands on him will be great.

To me it is a job that will either make or break a manager but I recon there is a whole bunch of them out there chomping at the bit.

again...why does the person we appoint now HAVE to be the one to take us to the prem...

blackpool got out of this league...was holloway their manager

forest got out of this league..was davies their manager.

I would be surprised if who we appoint in the week would be the manager should we get to the prem...

Simple - the club have quite clearly stated that it is recognised that managerial continuity is important. While it may not happen in practice (and who can predict these things?), the aim must surely be to attempt to get a manager that can provide as much continuity as possible. Otherwise, why plan for anything?

Appoint a L1 Manager and I would wager he will deliver L1 to you. And before you cite someone like Pearson for Leceister, he had effectively come from the Prem at Newcastle and succeeded at Saints in CCC. There are just too many other better qualified candidates for Howe to be selected and his interview with Solent at the weekend would suggest he has already been told he's not made it to the short-list.

Simple - the club have quite clearly stated that it is recognised that managerial continuity is important.

Continuity is desirable, the ONLY important thing at the moment is promotion to the Championship.

Hiring someone because you think they might do a job if one day we make it back to the Prem in nonsense, it's going to be hard enough getting out of this league let alone the Championship.

My random thinking....

Young, English, success on CV, possibly player-manager. Wonder if the 'success on CV' has to refer to management success? Maybe a well known player having his first management job? Could fit with Reed's 'guru' position *cough*. Maybe he might be a mentor to someone.

Any fading players around who have had previous dealings with Reed?

Is it too much of a stretch to think we might get a former 'big name' player in their first management role?

Been thinking along same lines. Paul Scholes keeps popping into my mind for some reason.

no he was not......I remember so many saying "im underwhelmed" when pardew was announced..mostly because of his terrible record previously with charlton

pards turned out to be good for us...however, life goes on and he 18 months or so is pretty average life span for a league manager to keep his job

18 months? Really?

We need someone with a proven record, which is why Zola, great guy that he is would not be a safe choice. Howe i also feel is a risk although his credentials at the moment are probably better than Zola. Brown has shown what he can do but is it enough? Keegan if he was interested would be a good choice right now as the players need a lift and he could certainly get the feel good factor back, but could this be one return too many for him, would he be hungry enough? 100% no chance M.O.N. who are we kidding. Hope we can get new guy in tomorrow, have a sneaky feeling it will be a surprise. Please be a good surprise!!