New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Adkins was a guest on a Sky Sports show on Friday evening. They were talking about Southampton and asked him directly 'So are you going there then?' With the style of a politician he skirted the question completely. Didn't say yes or no.

.... The presenter was heavily suggesting that it would be him.

The more I find out about Adkins the more I like the idea of him coming to Saints. He is obviously a very intelligent guy who understands people and how to get the beat out of them. He has served a real apprenticeship in football, as a player, back room boy and manager and should have his feet on the ground and his mind focused on success. From knowing little about him at the start of this week I would now be delighted if he came to us.

I will get my moan out of the way now.

Niether Howe or Adkins are better than AP.

AP is gone so i will just have to put up with that,but that does not mean i should be happy with a appointment that is lesser than the original incumbant of the position.

Whoever is installed will get my support,as will Wilkins will today.

But that does not mean i am enthralled with the prospect of having one of the many inferior names,thats banded about, put in place.

Apathy reigns for me at the moment.

All imo.

Edited by saint lard

we may not like it, but it is vital that a manager has a good working relationship with the chairman, therefore if one of these other names is similar to Pardew in other respects, but has a very good relationship with Cortesse - they may actually be a better manager - for us now.

AP is gone so i will just have to put up with that,but that does not mean i should be happy with a appointment that is lesser than the original incumbant of the position.

But that does not mean i am enthralled with the prospect of having one of the many inferior names,thats banded about, put in place.

All imo.

A position I have totally empathy for and have been there all week but am now relenting a bit. That may be due to all the propaganda coming out of the club but we will never know the truth behind Pardew going.

Some rumours maybe true some not ..last night I was told by a good source that Downes never spoke to Wilkins for the whole time he was here...

Who knows what Pardew would of done for the rest of the season but pre-season didn't go too well, players were not added to the squad that needed to be i.e pace, width and Lambert cover.

Maybe a new face will come in and finish the job Pardew started lets all hope so....as long as we don't go for the cheap Wilkins option.

I think Cortese's options are split into two categories.

The up and coming young mangers -

Atkins, Howe, Tisdale, Zola.

or the experienced, been there and done it managers:

Curbs, MoN

I honestly don't think the likes of Brown, Dowie or Magilton even feature in his mind IMO.

Cortese is at a bit of a cross roads, we really need to get up this year - so do you risk going for an unproven but up and coming manager in the hope he'll grow with the club...Or do you go with someone who's had consistent success in varying leagues with their previous jobs?

Personally i'd go for an experienced ''big'' name, someone that will get the fans on side straight away and should command instant respect from the players we have. I think the two names I've mentioned are the 2 names that could realistically go all the way with us. We've always spoke about having to replace the manager half way through the 5 - year plan so we can get someone good enough for the PL....so why not do it now? They're both clearly good enough.

every manager is a dead man walking.

I dont think you are a messiah by stating so.

Sorry I do not agree, any manager taking the position has a great group of players that are by far the best in this league. He needs to get them playing good football, but be able to have a plan B to unlock teams that come to St Mary's for the draw.

I still think this is why we are better away as teams have to come at us. If a manager comes in and plays the game the right way, they have the money to get us up through the CCC, and into the premier league. If a young manager they can only improve there career and have on their cv that they took Saints from league 1 to the premier league. Not bad really! There are far worse jobs out there.

Edited by Dr Who?

Employ Howe or Adkins and the revolving door will be in operation sooner rather than later,imo.

That's why i think we'll see a big name come in.

That's no disrespect to adkins and howe who i believe are decent managers, but i cannot see them commanding instant respect and getting all fans on side at once.

All imo.

I have to agree with your sentiments Saint Lard.

Choosing a new manager is always a tough one, who'd have thought Holloway would have taken Blackpool up after his spell at Leicester. Same with Phil Brown, failure at Derby yet took Hull up, and kept them there.Personally I'm always weary of people like Curbs who have been out of the game a while, they seem to lose their hunger. George Graham was another one who just seemed to drift into a media career, without exactly retiring. I cant think of an example of a guy whose done well after this happens.

Who is advising NC on his appointment, that's really important in my opinion. Fergie advised Preston to take Moyes and has championed good up and coming young Managers over the years. I also read that Don Revie advised the Saints board to take Lawrie Mac, who was hardly a big name.I just feel most supporters and Chairman become a bit star struck and have to have a big name nowadays. Harry Redknapp was a big name who looked perfect for a relegation battle and look what happened.I would like us to find our own David Moyes, our own Eddie Howe or Nigel Adkins.The most important thing in taking a step up is being able to deal with bigger players and bigger expectations and this is where people in the game play a big part. Can Eddie Howe step up and handle that, nobody on a forum will know, people in the game will. Because of our crazy last 15 years, we've no old heads around the club, no football people to advise and help NC, and what contacts has he got in the game.The past 10 years John Rudge has been behind the scenes at Stoke,we have no such figure, we just seem to have a constant stream of advisors and Les Read type people who come and go (Dave Merrington would have been ideal).If Merrington was in this role, he'd know from various contacts whether Howe was ready for an upward step or whether he's now at his level, he'd know whether Adkins could do a Jose, from Physio to top flight Manager or whether he just suits Scunny and would be lost elsewhere.Don Revie must have seen something in Lawrie, and the more high profile players he managed the better he got, the more expectations went up the better he got.

I would love to see an Adkins, Howe or O'Driscoll take over, but they could be a complete disaster.If we want promotion this season NC should get on the phone and tap Billy Davis up,Forset aren't going anywhere this year, and there's stuff going on behind the scenes (although there always is with Davis). Let's get out of this poxy league and I've no doubt he'd manage it. Had he taken over instead of Pardew, I've no doubt we'd have made the play offs last season, and would do a Leicester this. It will end up in tears(it always does with Davis), but they'll be tears in the Championship.

While I think Adkins could do a good job here, I still think that Mobray makes more sense. He plays the kind of football Cortese wants and he's proven at Championship level... something which (hopefully) will benefit us in 12 months time.

I'd agree with this and Mowbray has the advantage of having managed a club of similar size to us. I get the impression that we've probably got more coaches than Scunny have players so it might be a bit of a culture shock for Adkins coming here. Everything I've read about Adkins suggests he could do well here but we face a different set of challenges to the ones he faces at Scunny - everyone talks about having a plan B to break teams down but I doubt that's something he's had to worry about much before. Having a small but talented squad might work in his favour though as it looks as if that's when he's at his best.

I'd be happy with either but we'll probably have a new favourite come tomorrow - if I lumped £50 on Leonardo we'll probably be talking about him instead.

While I think Adkins could do a good job here, I still think that Mobray makes more sense. He plays the kind of football Cortese wants and he's proven at Championship level... something which (hopefully) will benefit us in 12 months time.

I really admire what Adkins has done at Scunny - its amazing. Cant help thinking the jump into a more complex club like Saints might be too much tho and Mowbray would b a safer bet.

I think my decision is made as to who i would like to see installed,Martin O'neil is going to be a pipe dream unfortuanately, although more than happy to be proved wrong,therefore....Zola and Clarke.

Will don tin hat and head to the bunker.

I think most supporters would bite your hand off for those 2 at the moment.

Adkins, Howe, Davis - no thanks.

Adkins has done a great job as has Howe. Would be a refreshing change and I think both these have the personality to succeed at Saints and climb up the leagues with us. Howe certainly will get a Prem job at some point in his career so we might as well rise up the leagues with him. Just because someone hasnt been given a chance up their it doesn't mean they couldn't do it. Just needs the right type, which Sturrock clearly wasn't.

Howe would be a breath of fresh air IMO and with bettter players at his disposal would work wonders. Much preffered to a merry go round manager who has managed, but ultimately failed in the Prem ie Dowie, Hart, Brown.

We have never really had a young up and coming manager so bring it on.

We have never really had a young up and coming manager so bring it on.

Pearson :(

Chris Nicholl was 39 years old when he took over at Saints. He did very well, taking Saints to a 7th place finish in the top flight in 1990. He was then sacked a year later and Ian Branfoot appointed and thus started the Saints merry-go-round. :(

Saint Charlie has a short memory to say "never had a young manager"! ;)

Chris Nicholl was 39 years old when he took over at Saints. He did very well, taking Saints to a 7th place finish in the top flight in 1990. He was then sacked a year later and Ian Branfoot appointed and thus started the Saints merry-go-round. :(

Saint Charlie has a short memory to say "never had a young manager"! ;)

Ok being as pedantic as ever. I was meaning in the last 10 or so years. Pearson didn't really stay long enough to have a long term impact but fair point.

Would be good to have someone with ambition and drive, not just someone who couldnt really care about the club looking for a pay day.

I think most supporters would bite your hand off for those 2 at the moment.

Adkins, Howe, Davis - no thanks.

Absolutely spot on. The guys you mention would not succeed - they have one thing in common, their success has come about by building their own team and getting their players on-side. Totally different concept to what's needed at Saints for this season and beyond IMO. Zola/Clarke combo would be outstanding for us all the way through to the Prem providing NC backs them completely and gets some much needed consistency and stability back into the club.

Absolutely spot on. The guys you mention would not succeed - they have one thing in common, their success has come about by building their own team and getting their players on-side. Totally different concept to what's needed at Saints for this season and beyond IMO. Zola/Clarke combo would be outstanding for us all the way through to the Prem providing NC backs them completely and gets some much needed consistency and stability back into the club.

You seem certain they won't succeed. Howe didn't really build a team, did he? He just took over an ever-dwindling group of players and had a transfer embargo in place. He just had to motivate what he was given. Isn't that what we are asking? What if he was given some money too? Maybe he could achieve even more than he did at Bournemouth?

Somebody mentioned Chris Nicholl took us to seventh in the league, that just shows what any manager at this club is up against as i remember Nicholl getting so much abuse from those in the west stand at the dell for a while before he was sacked.

And then they appointed Branfoot, i bloody hope a similar pattern doesnt occur here.

But Howe has been in and around the bournemouth team for years

Wasn`t he the youth team coach?

Makes the job even harder, IMO. He has to work a lot harder to gain respect as manager from being 'one of the lads'. See Wigley, Gray, etc.

But Howe has been in and around the bournemouth team for years

Wasn`t he the youth team coach?

Hes only been in coaching and management for 3.5 years, no experience above lg1 (and that only 4 games) and hes still only 32. FWIW I think he may become an outstanding manager, but would be too much of a risk for Saints at the moment. Adkins and Mowbray better bets imo.

Edited by buctootim

You seem certain they won't succeed. Howe didn't really build a team, did he? He just took over an ever-dwindling group of players and had a transfer embargo in place. He just had to motivate what he was given. Isn't that what we are asking? What if he was given some money too? Maybe he could achieve even more than he did at Bournemouth?

Sure I see your point, however I would suggest someone taking over our squad is faced with a different set of issues. Howe built his own team in the sense that they were all in it together with their backs to the wall - kind of seige mentality. That's not really the case here - let's face it most of our squad could walk straight into any L1/nPC team they wanted (if they wanted/needed to leave) - the mentality is quite different I would suggest.

Hes only been in coaching and management for 3.5 years, no experience above lg1 (and that only 4 games) and hes still only 32. FWIW I think he may become an outstanding manager, but would be too much of a risk for Saints at the moment. Adkins and Mowbray better bets imo.

My point exactly.

Id like to see Zola BUT only if Clark was his No2.

Clark was VERY highly rated by the Chelski team/managment, and Zola would have the repect.

Somebody mentioned Chris Nicholl took us to seventh in the league, that just shows what any manager at this club is up against as i remember Nicholl getting so much abuse from those in the west stand at the dell for a while before he was sacked.

And then they appointed Branfoot, i bloody hope a similar pattern doesnt occur here.

Chris Nicholl was cursed by following Lawrie, if he had followed Branfoot he would have ended up as one of the clubs great. i also recall the fans getting all upset as he got players like Gerry Forest and there were comments that he was buying a division 2 side. We had been spoilt by having high profile players and the grumbles continued. I still believe that the Rod Wallace MLT and Shearer forward line was the best i ever saw. Wallace and MLT scored some terrific goals together and their golden performances away to QPR and home to Liverpool were outstanding. They linked together superbly and it is sad that the pairing split too early by the club not paying Rod a decent wage and him having a rift.

Now that we are starting to talk about serious possibilities not like MON, does anyone else feel ****** off that we are not actually moving forward after Pardew. Howes, Adkins, Brown, Hart WTF!!!! No disrepect to them but FFS that to me is not moving forward or progression in anyway. I know there are probably better managers available but I would love it if Keegan was our man. The feel good factor would certainly be back - for how long is another question.

Chris Nicholl was not a great manager for Saints, he presided over the slump in our fortunes where we went from 8 years as a class team to struggling Saints, then the all too familiar managerless Saints. Sure he had some success - cup semis etc. - but Jimmy Case rather than Steve Williams was the start of the downward spiral.

Chris Nicholl was not a great manager for Saints, he presided over the slump in our fortunes where we went from 8 years as a class team to struggling Saints, then the all too familiar managerless Saints. Sure he had some success - cup semis etc. - but Jimmy Case rather than Steve Williams was the start of the downward spiral.

Steve Williams wanted to leave, and Case was a great signing for us. Nicholl's achievements as Saints manager were considerable when you look at the budget he had. Unlike Lawrie, who had a top chairman in Woodford, I think Nicholl had to work under the odious Askham.

Now that we are starting to talk about serious possibilities not like MON, does anyone else feel ****** off that we are not actually moving forward after Pardew. Howes, Adkins, Brown, Hart WTF!!!! No disrepect to them but FFS that to me is not moving forward or progression in anyway. I know there are probably better managers available but I would love it if Keegan was our man. The feel good factor would certainly be back - for how long is another question.

Why would we want a guy like Adkins that has won promotion twice and is actually managing in a league above ours?

Why do ppl want Zola? he's done nothing, struggled at west ham with a team far better than where they finished and he resigned at the end of the season as he was too stressed. I loved Zola as a player but i really dont think he's a good manager. I think Howe would be a good shout, nice style of football (uses the wings alot) always seems to get important points & got Bournemouth up without buying anyone. Ok he might have to get his type of players he likes in January but im sure with the team we have now he'll do fine.