New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

NC statement included the fact we needed continuity so I am not just expecting a manager to get us out of league 1 but also be here when we are in the premiership. Or at least with that in mind. I expect a big name manager (I know we are league 1 but that is what I read into statemant)

You mean the same sort of continuity he would have been thinking about when Pardew was appointed ?

I'm basically against Foreign Managers running supposed English Teams, and I am against the mass influx of Foreign players that play for supposed English Teams, so does that make me racist ?, or just that I prefer English Teams to be run by English people, and have English players in them. At present, the ENGLISH PL isn't

For example, the easiest job in the world is being England Manager, you only have circa 30 English players left in the Prem. The Squad forms itself, and yet English people are the first to moan if the England National Team do not perform well

So you would be absolutely livid if any of the following were to be our manager: Maurinho; Wenger; SAF; O'Neill; Bilic; Strachan; etc; etc?

I guess you never, ever, cheered Marion or Killer or Claus or Bale, etc?

And this also goes a long way towards showing why you dislike Cortese so much. You must also be disgusted that we are owned by a German/Swiss family.

Come back Rupert and the PLC, all is forgiven!!!!!!

Rolly eyed smillie thingy.........

So you would be absolutely livid if any of the following were to be our manager: Maurinho; Wenger; SAF; O'Neill; Bilic; Strachan; etc; etc?

I guess you never, ever, cheered Marion or Killer or Claus or Bale, etc?

And this also goes a long way towards showing why you dislike Cortese so much. You must also be disgusted that we are owned by a German/Swiss family.

Come back Rupert and the PLC, all is forgiven!!!!!!

Rolly eyed smillie thingy.........

No, you are wrong in your assumptions. We ALL have to accept how English Football is run, until the powers that be change it

On match days, I cheer ALL Saints players, whether they be English, Foreign, or Intergalactical

I fully supported the Leibherr takeover, and in general have supported Cortese

BUT NOT BLINDLY, Everybody makes mistakes, but not all recognise them or admit to them

Given a choice, I would have much preferred to be taken over by UK people, but that was never going to happen

If I see something that I consider wrong, or not in the best interests of Saints, then I will speak out about it. It does not matter whether they are from this country or not. It comes under the heading of Free Speech.

But, as I have said many times past, I have a rant on THIS site, come match days I am firmly behind Owner, Manager, and Team

Rupert Lowe ??? You really do not know me. If for no other reason, I am well known on here for detesting the man and all he stood for

No, you are wrong in your assumptions. We ALL have to accept how English Football is run, until the powers that be change it

On match days, I cheer ALL Saints players, whether they be English, Foreign, or Intergalactical

I fully supported the Leibherr takeover, and in general have supported Cortese

BUT NOT BLINDLY, Everybody makes mistakes, but not all recognise them or admit to them

Given a choice, I would have much preferred to be taken over by UK people, but that was never going to happen

If I see something that I consider wrong, or not in the best interests of Saints, then I will speak out about it. It does not matter whether they are from this country or not. It comes under the heading of Free Speech.

But, as I have said many times past, I have a rant on THIS site, come match days I am firmly behind Owner, Manager, and Team

Rupert Lowe ??? You really do not know me. If for no other reason, I am well known on here for detesting the man and all he stood for

Very good - so what exactly is your problem with foreign players or managers? And I only ask out of interest, I am not trying to denegrate your human rights.

I am not against Foreign managers, but I would be slightly concerned with how much someone like Vialli or Zola know about League one football..

I'm sorry but this is simply rubbish. It's football. Over a large number of games better teams with better players win more matches as long as someone competent is in charge that doesn't put square pegs in round holes. Anyone that has managed at the top level I'm sure would be capable of using our players to win promotion this season including the likes of Zola.

The key to winning the league is playing good football that had a bit of invention to break down the proverbial buses in front of the goal.

I think it all came down to a disagreement about transfers between Cortese and Pardew

Pardew wanted more money to spend and Cortese basically said no - and that led to a major disagreement about they way forward and results on the pitch and a parting of the ways!

It seems we missed out on nearly all of our transfer targets this summer - partly because we lost out to teams higher up the league (Matt Phillips to West Brom, Nicky Bailey, Simeon Jackson,etc) or refused to pay the money clubs or players were asking for (Michail Antonio, Adam Le Fondre).

It also sounds like Cortese wanted to bring back Waigo - but for some reason to do with Pardew it wouldn't happen - either Pardew didn't want him or Waigo wouldn't come back if Pardew was still there. I think it will tell us a lot if Waigo rejoins us in the loan Window.

The Do Prado - or Guly deal - sounds like it was done by Cortese and not Pardew to make a point.

Thing is if Pardew said we needed to spend more money to bring some new players in to guarantee promotion he was probably right - at the moment without Waigo and Antonio we are considerably weaker than last season - we have no pace in the team and nothing on the bench that is going to change a game.

We are short a striker, a winger and a central midfielder at the moment. But perhaps Cortese doesn't see it this way and thinks the team we have is good enough. If that's the case the next few weeks with Lambert off form, unfit and carrying an injury, Lallana out injured, Barnard banned and Jaidi over the hill the next few weeks will prove him sadly wrong.

If we are going to mount a real promotion push we need a decent manager and some new players in pretty quickly - lets hope we get a manager in place before the loan window opens and he brings in the players we need on loan pretty quickly.

having said that i think we may need to accept that the money we need to buy our way out of League 1 just isn't there - perhaps Marcus Liebherr passing away changed things - or perhaps the budget originally set was simply never going to be enough

it may be a case of wages or it may be a case of lack of transfer funds - only time will tell us if we're lucky

the frustating thing is this is a League you can buy your way out off - unlike the Championship

what worries me is that if we are not in the top six by January and looking like promotion contenders players like Lallana, Schneiderlin and Lambert will look to move to a club higher up the league in the transfer window - and if we are still in League 1 next summer they will definately look to move if they are still here

all we can hope for then is that we are allowed to reinvest all the money we make from selling them back into the squad - and have a manager that can build winning teams by picking gems from the lower leagues and taking great youth players on loan

I've also heard a rumour that one of the reasons that Christian Gross is set to became Saints manager is because he is related to the Liebherr family through marriage.

Yea and so is Rapunzel. She would be almost be as crap a manager as Gross for us.

Mmm, have just read Gross' bio and it does show him to be more competent than I thought him to be. He must be in with a shout assuming he's applied.

Lol. Hes manager of Stuttgart in the Bundesliga and in the Champions League this year. Im sure he'd be very gratified to think he was 'in with a shout' at a British 3rd division side or might be able to slip in on nepotism.

I'm sorry but this is simply rubbish. It's football. Over a large number of games better teams with better players win more matches as long as someone competent is in charge that doesn't put square pegs in round holes. Anyone that has managed at the top level I'm sure would be capable of using our players to win promotion this season including the likes of Zola.

The key to winning the league is playing good football that had a bit of invention to break down the proverbial buses in front of the goal.

Sure, Zola probably knows what playing good football is about, but thats not the whole aspect of managing a team. I bet he doesn't know too much about the strengths and weaknesses of Rotherams players are and how they play. Seriously, I bet he doesn't watch much League one footy so he would not know much about the strengths and weaknesses of other teams.

Sure, Zola probably knows what playing good football is about, but thats not the whole aspect of managing a team. I bet he doesn't know too much about the strengths and weaknesses of Rotherams players are and how they play. Seriously, I bet he doesn't watch much League one footy so he would not know much about the strengths and weaknesses of other teams.

Is this not why Alan Pardew set up a scouting network?

Can he not send some scouts to watch the Rotherham players and then get an idea or is it essential that he knows all of this before he is given the job?

Lol. Hes manager of Stuttgart in the Bundesliga and in the Champions League this year. Im sure he'd be very gratified to think he was 'in with a shout' at a British 3rd division side or might be able to slip in on nepotism.

:lol: Indeed, it is unbelievable on here sometimes, it really is.

Pardew didn't have experience of L1 football did he??? He wouldn't know about Rotherhams players, that's why you have scouting reports etc.

Sorry dude but Pards had experience of League 1 and League 2 footy, he took Reading up from Div 2. Granted, he had spent time at Charlton and Wet Spam in between Reading and us, but he deffo had prior experience of the lower leagues.

Argghhhhh why do some people on here think we need MORE players. With the squad we have in LEAGUE 1..yes LEAGUE 1 the squad we have now should be MORE THAN CAPABLE of getting promoted. Other squads spend hardly any many, play players out of position etc but they have the fighting spirit to frind out results or just play effectively as a team.

WE DO NOT NEED MORE ADDITIONS. People are just getting greedy. Money isn't the answer to everything.

I'm sure some fans understand this. I HOPE most do.

Funny isn't it. People seem to forget that Eddie Howe's experience of L1 football is what, 4 games?

Managers succeed and fail at all levels and with all ranges of experience. I'd say at international level, you should have experience of that nations leagues certainly, which is why I believe Capello struggles. He's gone from excellent club manager to clueless joke with England, but that isn't because he's foreign. I have no doubt Mourinho, Wenger or Fergurson would do an excellent job for england despite not being english.

So I'd prefer someone who knows English football, but that doesn't mean English necessarily. I mean, we're talking long term, so do we plan to be in L1 forever? Is there a manager with experience of promotion from L1, quick promotion from the championship and then progress in the top flight? Probably not, so let's just concentrate on a decent manager with a bit of intelligence and hopefully some decent contacts in the game.

I'm in agreement with everything you say there. I'm happy to get the person you describe and therefore feel someone like Tony Mowbray would be an excellent appointment (as your description matches him perfectly) but I still think people like Zola, with recent experience managing in the English PL would be very capable if appointed as he is clearly an articulate guy who knows English football well.

What I wouldn't necessarily want is someone that has shown some promise but never managed in the spotlight (Eddie Howe fits in here).

For me, any new appointment must have at least the pedigree to get us to the PL, at which time they will be under pressure to stay there but should be given an opportunity to show they can do so.

With Hammonds comments about Wilkins I fully expect there not to be an announcement before the Rochdale game. If we play very poor then I can see the manager being named early next week though. If we win and play well then I suspect it could be a little longer.

But do you not think that he would be easily able to identify this from watching the teams we are due to play against on videos and getting reports from those within the club that have watched these teams or played against these teams and so on?

I expect it is quite easy to gain the knowledge of what teams are about, how they play, who their key men are, strengths and weaknesses etc. It's just about assessing the information freely available in advance of the planning for games. I'm sure an ex PL manager is capable of doing this in an orderly and sensible manner.

Can he not send some scouts to watch the Rotherham players and then get an idea or is it essential that he knows all of this before he is given the job?

Rotherham are in the league below us. Why should they be the yardstick for selecting our manager?

But do you not think that he would be easily able to identify this from watching the teams we are due to play against on videos and getting reports from those within the club that have watched these teams or played against these teams and so on?

I expect it is quite easy to gain the knowledge of what teams are about, how they play, who their key men are, strengths and weaknesses etc. It's just about assessing the information freely available in advance of the planning for games. I'm sure an ex PL manager is capable of doing this in an orderly and sensible manner.

I'm sure you're right. Dunno what I'm banging on about really. I'll step aside with my head held high on this one.

With Hammonds comments about Wilkins I fully expect there not to be an announcement before the Rochdale game. If we play very poor then I can see the manager being named early next week though. If we win and play well then I suspect it could be a little longer.

If NC is truly serious about taking his time to find the right man, how would we feel about Wilkins being in the job for the season and re-evaluating his performance and the situation re: other managers availability, at the end of the season...?

If NC is truly serious about taking his time to find the right man' date=' how would we feel about Wilkins being in the job for the season and re-evaluating his performance and the situation re: other managers availability, at the end of the season...?[/quote']

there's taking your time and there's taking your time...!

F*ck me - a year to do interviews. What is this? MI5?

If NC is truly serious about taking his time to find the right man' date=' how would we feel about Wilkins being in the job for the season and re-evaluating his performance and the situation re: other managers availability, at the end of the season...?[/quote']

Interesting proposition. If we play well and win and carry on playing well and go up (automatically), would we really need to carry on looking for a manager, or would Wilkins "do"? It's a dangerous game to play, but then, whose to say that Martin O'Neill (for example) would do a better job in this league than Wilkins?

It's really a very tough call, I wouldn't want to the person making the final decision. Perhaps with that thought in mind, I think we'll see an experienced "name" come in so that "name" can be blamed if it goes wrong.

How many managers, in the top half of the premiership had managed there before getting their current job?

Don't get this "must know league 1".

Sure we wouldn't be gutted at getting Jose M and he probably doesn't know a single player in this league.

A good manager is what we need. Not a league 1 expert.

Why would the result change anything mate? Cortese is going to get hid man whether it takes a week or three and a result will not change that!!

there's taking your time and there's taking your time...!

F*ck me - a year to do interviews. What is this? MI5?

Reminds me of the time a previous boss was recruiting. He took so long to draw up a shortlist that by the time the interviews came around one candidate had died, one had decided to emigrate, two had found other jobs, the fifth wasnt interested anymore and the final one turned out to be crap!