New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

If MON really wants to follow the same path as his mentor Brian Clough then that must include dropping down the divisions to earn a lot of money managing a south coast club funded by an ambitious owner. And then leaving after a few months including a home thrashing by Bristol Rovers.

I HATE win percentages. Is there a worse form of evidence in football argument? They do it in the papers too. I can only assume this means winning the conference is better than coming mid-table in the premiership. Although to counter that, mid-table with chelsea would be awful, while winning the conference with eastleigh would be very good.

Liverpool won more than fulham last season. One had a great season, one had an awful one. Win ratios are just for people who can't comprehend there are different leagues, fixtures, squads, expectations, resources and so on.

Oh yes indeed: percentage of possesion, which means total zero, not even points. Then come shots on goal/off goal.

Last season Chelsea away stuffed some team 4-0 i think, yet those stats had then down as less of the play and about one third of the goal attempts. the fact that they just won the ball and passed it into the opponents net doesn't count: ******ing around with the ball for 5 minutes then shooting into row Z seems to count for more.

OK - its nothing too ITK but to avoid a million PMs: Someone I know was talking to Gus Poyet when the conversation turned to Saints. Referring to the quality of our squad GP said that if he managed saints he would not take his years salary if he could not get us promoted. It was not a pitch for the job - simply a comment on how he viewed our squad. That said we could do a lot worse than him but I doubt if he would leave Brighton.

OK - its nothing too ITK but to avoid a million PMs: Someone I know was talking to Gus Poyet when the conversation turned to Saints. Referring to the quality of our squad GP said that if he managed saints he would not take his years salary if he could not get us promoted. It was not a pitch for the job - simply a comment on how he viewed our squad. That said we could do a lot worse than him but I doubt if he would leave Brighton.

That was put on this thread like ages ago....

EDIT:

BY YOU FFS!

Unlikely to happen I know, but I think that Gus Poyet could tick a lot of boxes from NC's point of view. I have also heard that he said that if he were managing Southampton he wouldn't take his salary if we were not promoted. He was not angling for the job - more commenting on the circumstances.
Edited by Pancake

Interesting.

If nothing else it further underlines how far we have come in little over a year.

That was put on this thread like ages ago....

EDIT:

BY YOU FFS!

I know, I know, but Deppo asked me where I had heard it. I PMed him a reply and suddenly everyone wanted one. So I reiterated a little more exactly how I had heard it. Sorry it upset you :(

I'd like a PM - about anything. :) I've never had one .. never.

There was a time when you only had to say something negative about the Saints Trust to get a PM or two...in fact it would bring every butcher, baker and candlestick maker out of the woodwork....Hell, you could even get infractions pm'd to you for that too.....I'm sure the first Ted Bates statue was designed and approved by pm.

If it's to be Zola - pleeeease bring your boots with you.

Replace Hammond and you could be captain and manager.

Would still be amazing in this league.

I remember reading an interview with some West Ham player a few weeks after Zola took over, talking about how things were going. Apparently if Zola joined them for training, he would run rings around all of the players and quite often the squad would just stand and watch him in awe of his technique and skills. The player remarked that Zola was probably still as technically gifted than most 'quality' Premiership players!

Boring. Would of thought NC would have had someone lined up straight away

As I'm guessing AP sacking wasn't a quick fire decision, my instinct points to the x Bristol city manager.

Coppel ??? I was wondering that too. It seems strange that someone who has lived and breathed Football all his life could suddenly not care a toss about it

He should have been appointed before Pardew IMHO, I think he would be the one to please most Saints Fans

Coppel ??? I was wondering that too. It seems strange that someone who has lived and breathed Football all his life could suddenly not care a toss about it

He should have been appointed before Pardew IMHO, I think he would be the one to please most Saints Fans

What and resigned 2 games into the season!