New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

FWIW I was told Curbishley,last monday

I was told by an ex player it would be curbishley because he said No when Pardew got the job, another connection I spoke to today said that NC had already got his man in place but Martin Oneil became available so he has been contacted, he also said it will be a Big name and that all these bookies odds are rubbish. think Bigger? It will have to be HUUUGE after todays debacle.

6ish years running and still praying for Lord Hoddle to return, nutter.

Calm down. I will tell you truthfully, I would be very surprised if Hoddle was offered or even wanted the job.

However, we need a big name manager, i would hate to make the same mistake as we did in 2004 when we appointed Sturrock !

Heard some gossip today from someone who met someone on Friday who was on the pitch for the Swindon game.

Atmosphere in the dressing room was "like a morgue", many players disappointed that AP had gone. No one knows why, lots of rumours. But those rumours of a bust up / sex / drinking don't have anything behind them - the suggestion being they've been put about to justify the decision. It's an open secret inside the club that NC and AP weren't getting on.

No news on the new guy but, judging by today, ASAP is necessary.

Just had exactly this confrmed by someone today .......so much for all the crap talked on her about why AP left. FACT AP and NC did not get on ....move on.

Edited by saintsub
sp

I got told some rubbish today (not even a reputable source) that we're waiting to see if Capello gets fired from England after Tuesdays game, if he is O'Neill will take over the England job, if not then we'll get O'Neill. Is worth pointing out I in no way believe this, just another piece of worthless gossip I imagine!..

I got told some rubbish today (not even a reputable source) that we're waiting to see if Capello gets fired from England after Tuesdays game, if he is O'Neill will take over the England job, if not then we'll get O'Neill. Is worth pointing out I in no way believe this, just another piece of worthless gossip I imagine!..
Not worthless - you have used up valuable bandwidth to post it....you shouldn't have bothered.

I have to admit this thought very briefly crossed my mind.

Calm down. I will tell you truthfully, I would be very surprised if Hoddle was offered or even wanted the job.

However, we need a big name manager, i would hate to make the same mistake as we did in 2004 when we appointed Sturrock !

I'm calm, just this last week has reminded me of the previous forum just without keith.

I was one of the few supports like you that wanted Hoddle to return, however I feel he is tied up with his academy.

Antonio? Do you really think this is true about cortese meeting him? Also, did anyone hear radio 5 saying that we are getting a manager with a wow factor? Surely this rules atkins out?

A friend of mine said that 5 Live mentioned that there was likely to be a midweek appointment which would prove to his doubters that Cortese knows what he is doing.

If the above and my friend are right and this happens then as long as the 'Wow' factor stabilises this listing ship AND gets it promoted I shall be happy.

Today was a disaster IMHO with two players substituted who were giving their all.

There are times when that big lightbulb goes 'PING' and you just know the obvious was sitting there trying to jump out in front of you. 5 Live were saying that there's an announcement mid-week with a 'Wow' factor about the new manager.. I've figured it out. NC is going to announce that him and AP have kissed and made up and AP is the new manager.

That'd tick the 'Wow' box wouldn't it?

There are times when that big lightbulb goes 'PING' and you just know the obvious was sitting there trying to jump out in front of you. 5 Live were saying that there's an announcement mid-week with a 'Wow' factor about the new manager.. I've figured it out. NC is going to announce that him and AP have kissed and made up and AP is the new manager.

That'd tick the 'Wow' box wouldn't it?

Errmmmmm....no

Personally I would be quite happy with Curbishley given our league status.....how many other ex-Charlton employees will be coming to St Marys?

I would be devastated if we appointed that slimey creep as manager.Did a worse job at West Ham than either Pardew or Zola.

Even Paul Hart would be more palatable.

I actually don't think Curb's is a bad shout if im honest.

He ticks a few boxes in that he's got promotions in the football league, he's had consistent solid seasons in the top flight and he's experienced throughout english football. Sounds like the sort of guy that could take us right through to the PL, which is what we need now.

Some people have never taken to Curbs though and i'm not sure why, i actually think he'd be one hell of a coup at this level.

He ticks a few boxes in that he's got promotions in the football league, he's had consistent solid seasons in the top flight and he's experienced throughout english football. Sounds like the sort of guy that could take us right through to the PL, which is what we need now.

Some people have never taken to Curbs though and i'm not sure why, i actually think he'd be one hell of a coup at this level.

Didn't you realise that we are Barcelona. 99% of the idiots on here wouldn't be happy with Mourinho. I'd jump at Curbishley.

ok wait for it...................................LAMO I cant beleive Im writing this.

ERIC CANTONA lamo! Someone just text me to say he is staying the Chilworth Manor (just to add I dont beleive it but its worth a laugh)

He certainly seems confident...(two years ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/27/france.englandfootballteam

I would be devastated if we appointed that slimey creep as manager.Did a worse job at West Ham than either Pardew or Zola.

Even Paul Hart would be more palatable.

Sheesh. Consistent Prem mid-table finishes for several seasons on low budgets for two clubs. Time and time again Curbishley delivers.

Zola leeched off the foundations Curbs had built - once Zola had a full season you could see how dreadful a manager he really was.

Absolutely agree. Would be a great choice.

He has two promotions to his name,no more than Adkins or Tisdale.

I accept that AC did it at a higher level and maintained Charlton in the top flight for a number of years on a small budget.That is admirable and a commendable achievement.In retrospect though he did build the club for a number of years, so as a "name" he will not have the same immediate impact as MON.

I have never taken to Cubishley as I remember our "great escape season" in which Dave Jones made frequent references to the fact that 'Alan is a personal friend' and did not really want him to be relegated.Yet that c^nt still made disparaging remarks about us going into the final game. I have never undrstood how it was his cohort in joint management at Charlton- Steve Gritt- was conveniently jettisoned for Curbishley to take sole command, and Gritt seemingly never credited for his part in the rebirth of Charlton.

At West Ham - "his club" let us not forget- he was worse than AP or Zola.

Curbishley was once a young prospect.I don't want us to appoint another manager whose best days are behind them.

He has two promotions to his name,no more than Adkins or Tisdale.

I accept that AC did it at a higher level and maintained Charlton in the top flight for a number of years on a small budget.That is admirable and a commendable achievement.In retrospect though he did build the club for a number of years, so as a "name" he will not have the same immediate impact as MON.

I have never taken to Cubishley as I remember our "great escape season" in which Dave Jones made frequent references to the fact that 'Alan is a personal friend' and did not really want him to be relegated.Yet that c^nt still made disparaging remarks about us going into the final game. I have never undrstood how it was his cohort in joint management at Charlton- Steve Gritt- was conveniently jettisoned for Curbishley to take sole command, and Gritt seemingly never credited for his part in the rebirth of Charlton.

At West Ham - "his club" let us not forget- he was worse than AP or Zola.

Curbishley was once a young prospect.I don't want us to appoint another manager whose best days are behind them.

So Zola was better than Curbishley at WHU, despite Zola's only decent season was when he had the team and the foundations that Curbishley had left him.

But you're upset that Steve Gritt doesn't get any credit for Charlton, despite Curbishley promoting them just the three years after Gritt had left and then establishing them as a Prem club in the following eight years without Gritt.

Zola with a full season with his own team not quite as successful as Curbishley for a decade without Steve Gritt.

Nice to see you being so consistent.

Has to be KK or MoN for me to get excited again, but do not think it will be. my money would be on Zola or Phil Brown.

Cortese and KK spoke Friday morning, BUT Cortese has spoken to loads of guys now and I believe his decision comes down to 'How Reed let's them fit in his way.'

My outside bet is Leonardo for that wow factor and the Reed way.

Cortese and KK spoke Friday morning, BUT Cortese has spoken to loads of guys now and I believe his decision comes down to 'How Reed let's them fit in his way.'

F*ck Reed. I suspect he's got way too much power for a man who has achieved the square root of f*ck all in the game.

No wow factor from me for Leonardo, it would be a disaster.

So the big problem at SFC now is Reed, i'm not surprised when he was appointed i thought this might not work with AP it seems that my doubts have proved to be right ...

Why can't we just have a normal situation for once .....

My other question is and it's very long shot wha

So the big problem at SFC now is Reed, i'm not surprised when he was appointed i thought this might not work with AP it seems that my doubts have proved to be right ...

Why can't we just have a normal situation for once .....

My other question is and it's very long shot wha

The position Reed holds now is the future tbf, Chelsea do it, Barca do it, I expect Arsenal and Manure do it.

Pardew is head strong, always has been (re. Tevez and Masch) everywhere he has gone has been marred by some sort of dispute. But he seems a god down here, he bought well, he planned well but TBF anyone could have got a decent achievement out of this team. Tactically inept.

So Zola was better than Curbishley at WHU, despite Zola's only decent season was when he had the team and the foundations that Curbishley had left him.

But you're upset that Steve Gritt doesn't get any credit for Charlton, despite Curbishley promoting them just the three years after Gritt had left and then establishing them as a Prem club in the following eight years without Gritt.

Zola with a full season with his own team not quite as successful as Curbishley for a decade without Steve Gritt.

Nice to see you being so consistent.

I don't dispute AC did a good job at Charlton for which he is rightly credited.But is that something he is likely to repeat a decade later, just as Burley did not repeat his success elsewhere.

As for West Ham...AC got off to a flyer beating ManU at home but then took it to the last game to save them. Did they ever get so close to the drop under Zola?

F*ck Reed. I suspect he's got way too much power for a man who has achieved the square root of f*ck all in the game.

What exactly has Leslie THeolonius Reed achieved in the game?

Parodied as:

. Reed's spell at Charlton became infamous as certain sections of the media attacked him on a regular basis, nicknaming him "Les Misérables" and "Santa Clueless

Source:Wikipedia

I wonder what SCW or Simon Clifford might have to add.Perhaps Cortese should give them a bell.Probably every bit as useful as Reed.

Is Reed really a Technical Director or Director of Football then.

Reminds me a bit of the Sir Clive Woodward situation where no one seemed to know what his role was at the club - he just seemed to cause confusion and then chaos and dismay

I'd be concerned if Reed was having that much influence but KK's name coming up is interesting as wasn't Reed part of his England set-up? If so Reed might not be a stumbling block. With KK it purely comes down to his level of motivation for the task ahead but we know Saints are genuinely special to him and it would help to heal the rifts with some of our club's famous faces which would aid Cortese. He also has the gravitas in the game to bring in 4 or 5 quality loans quickly which we need - a CM, maybe 2 if we go for one old head as leader to build around (someone like Nicky Butt, he can't be any slower or worse than Hammond!), 2 wide players with pace, a back-up CB to Martin and Fonte and a forward with physical presence as I think Rickie needs surgery.

KK would also get the stadium full and give the club a huge lift which after all the recent events it so badly needs. My favourite would have been Sean O'Driscoll but after today the whole club badly needs a lift which a charismatic figure like KK would give it. A highly respected former player - Southgate for example - might also do this if KK couldn't be talked into it.

I'd be concerned if Reed was having that much influence but KK's name coming up is interesting as wasn't Reed part of his England set-up? If so Reed might not be a stumbling block. With KK it purely comes down to his level of motivation for the task ahead but we know Saints are genuinely special to him and it would help to heal the rifts with some of our club's famous faces which would aid Cortese. He also has the gravitas in the game to bring in 4 or 5 quality loans quickly which we need - a CM, maybe 2 if we go for one old head as leader to build around (someone like Nicky Butt, he can't be any slower or worse than Hammond!), 2 wide players with pace, a back-up CB to Martin and Fonte and a forward with physical presence as I think Rickie needs surgery.

KK would also get the stadium full and give the club a huge lift which after all the recent events it so badly needs. My favourite would have been Sean O'Driscoll but after today the whole club badly needs a lift which a charismatic figure like KK would give it. A highly respected former player - Southgate for example - might also do this if KK couldn't be talked into it.

KK would be the big name everyone craves, but as far as managing goes, he isn't up there for me as a 'good' manager, only manages teams with money and backing and fails a lot of times.

We need someone with hunger, not an old name who believes they no longer need to work for it.

WOW factor in descending order = MON, KK, Leonardo, Hoddle, WGS, Mowbray, Zola, Coppell, Brown, Curbishley, Blackwell, Adkins, Howe, Hart.

Not attempting to rank them in order of ability but simply what's likely to make the archetypal fat f**k who lives on an IV drip of Sky Sports, FIFA 10 and Prem Big Four games scratch his ignorant, fairweather head and go "WOW".

Edited by shurlock

KK would be the big name everyone craves, but as far as managing goes, he isn't up there for me as a 'good' manager, only manages teams with money and backing and fails a lot of times.

We need someone with hunger, not an old name who believes they no longer need to work for it.

we have money and backing I guess but anyway we don't need them, we have good players, the coaching was wrong; can't harp on about that enough times it would seem:smug: really am not convinced AP got the best out of what he has,mainly because of that.Maybe NC (and Reed I suppose) saw that and asked AP to change his coaching staff a bit,he said no and the all got the boot, how's that for a scenario?

Wow factor definitely MON for me! I have just got visions of him running up and down the touch line and passionately involved in the game! I think the fans would that love that! I certainly loved WGS's passionate approach when he was here! Said this about two years ago that we ne need to reinvent the spirit of Southampton. MON would do that for me!! KK 2 years ago would also have ignited the spirit again, just not sure he is ready to come back. Saw him on tv in summer. and he looked too happy with life outside football, not sure he needs the hassle anymore! Only one choice for me.....its not too late to turn things around, but we need to make the right choice now!

The concern I would have with Curbishley is that it has now been 2 years since he left West Ham, and he's shown little intent to get back into the management game since then. He has become another George Graham character (surprised no one has mentioned him as he always seems to crop up when we need a manager) who appears to be happy with life on the TV as an occasional pundit.

So my list would be:

MON, SOD, Adkins, Howe, Mowbray, Zola/Clarke