Puncheon Bust-up Rumour

sfc1971

I have been told by a fairly reliable source that on Friday when Adkins told the squad who would be playing Sat that Puncheon threw a tantrum and refused to travel after being told he was on the bench.

If this is true this guy needs to be got rid of ASAP. ***t

NA said that JP has not been right since thursday, after mentioning agents etc etc

I am sure promises were made to Puncheon by Pardew. I am sure promises were made to Puncheon by Adkins. Managers often encourage players they want to keep.

When Drew Surman was with Wolves he was made the same promises. Mick McCarthy often said to him that he was a good player and part of his plans BUT "we are in a relegation scrap and I need a different sort of player"

In the end Drew got fed up with not playing and told the club he would rather play elsewhere. McCarthy insisted he still had a future with the club but understood his wish to play regular football.

Drew tok a drop in wages to play for Norwich but is still in touch with McCarthy as a friend.

That, in my opinion, is the difference. Drew went about it the right way and still has respect. Puncheon has a hissy fit because he thinks he deserves to be part of the team on the pitch.

I don't think Puncheon has that respect of his peers.

Watching JP I like the player but from reading the various comments over the last few weeks, it seems to me JP is a very high maintenance player who occasionally gives you a good game, but a fair amount of disruption, hence he is always on the move as a journeyman.

He's certainly not a consistent player who gives an average 7 out of 10 every week and is therefore difficult for a manager to fit into a game plan.

Probably an impact player who could add something different off the bench. That seems to be where NC is with him.

So in NC speak he's in the rotating door of the lobby of the building but certainly not on the bus.

Bearing in mind that to play him in the Blackpool game was strange..

To sub him was even stranger when AOC had run out of steam...and Punch was effectively covering two positions and helping the full back....

If it is totally true what fans hear or want to hear then off load and why the hell bring him back...

Some of this does not make sense to me..

But then again I have not heard the full story and never will..But then again I have learnt that posters do tell porkies sometimes..

Personally I would have played/subbed AOC more astutely and utilised Punch to the benefit of the team using his undoubted talent.

If we have another winger like Paine, Mathews, Finney, Bale or Walcott then I will be as pleased as Punch..:rolleyes:

Are you Puncheon's agent or something? He's got a history throughout his career of things starting out well at clubs then going sour. The common factor is all those recurrences is .. Puncheon. As for him covering 2 positions etc against Blackpool, what game were you watching? I saw the usual Puncheon .... lots of bits of skills spoiled by lots of bits of rubbish, beating his man only to pass to the opposition etc, and some shockingly poor shooting.

I never boo any of our players and have never booed Puncheon, but frankly I would be perfectly happy to see him go, especially if we can sign a decent replacement as cover for AOC and/or Lallana.

:rolleyes:

Are you Puncheon's agent or something? He's got a history throughout his career of things starting out well at clubs then going sour. The common factor is all those recurrences is .. Puncheon. As for him covering 2 positions etc against Blackpool, what game were you watching? I saw the usual Puncheon .... lots of bits of skills spoiled by lots of bits of rubbish, beating his man only to pass to the opposition etc, and some shockingly poor shooting.

I never boo any of our players and have never booed Puncheon, but frankly I would be perfectly happy to see him go, especially if we can sign a decent replacement as cover for AOC and/or Lallana.

Agent ottery ...has an opinion but obviously not as good as yours fella...:rolleyes:

PS His Auntie assures me he is a lovely boy but very misunderstood..:p

Edited by ottery st mary

Rumour true or totally over the top..Peeps have made their mind up..

Management have their scapegoat for short comings or the player is impossible to handle...

I have heard the other side of the coin where he has been messed about and many false promises..

Not sure of the truth ..but feel he is a very talented player when you look at some of the half hearted

players who seem to have an attitude of play, when I want to play.. in our side..

A career in sports punditry beckons, methinks.

If true he is a fool. He had a chance to play against Man U next week and show off his talents, On the bench is better than not on the bus and what ever club he is at he will have to put up with what the manager says! End of!

That said, he may have crossed the line but is it better to have players that are happy to warm the bench or players that want to be in the starting line up every week?[/QUOTE]

Surely it would be best to have a player who desperately wants to be in the starting line up every week and is prepared as a professional to "warm the bench" if that is what the interest of the team (and his boss) demands?

The more important point in all this is that if we're about to lose Puncheon and OC permanently, and Lallana with a medium term injury, we are seriously knackered for wingers for the rest of this season. At least one, probably two, pacey wide payers must be top of Adkins's shopping list.

Are you Puncheon's agent or something? He's got a history throughout his career of things starting out well at clubs then going sour.

no he hasn't.

At Barnet he was fantastic right up to the point Plymouth signed him. He got 6 games at the start if the season under Luggy and he was dropped for being crap. He was loaned out because he was not in Luggys plans. He was great at MK Dons throughout the two loans spells. Then he came to us.

Where is this history of starting well before going sour?

He may have a bad attitude. He may be having a tantrum because he is second fiddle. He may be unhappy at not getting his move to Millwall. He may not have his head right. He may be a spoiled brat. All these things MAYBE possible. But let's not start making stuff up about how he started well everywhere he's been before ****ing everyone off at that club before being chased out of town.

Edited by Chez

no he hasn't.

At Barnet he was fantastic right up to the point Plymouth signed him. He got 6 games at the start if the season under Luggy and he was dropped for being crap. He was loaned out because he was not in Luggys plans. He was great at MK Dons throughout the two loans spells. Then he came to us.

Where is this history of starting well before going sour?

He may have a bad attitude. He may be having a tantrum because he is second fiddle. He may be unhappy at not getting his move to Millwall. He may not have his head right. He may be a spoiled brat. All these things MAYBE possible. But let's not start making stuff up about how he started well everywhere he's been before ****ing everyone off at that club before being chased out of town.

Released by MK Dons, had unsuccessful stints at two non league clubs. Success with lower league Barnet, failed at Plymouth.

I will give him a little credit last season during the pre match warm up he took a shot at goal missed and the ball hit a young lad full in the face, he came straight into the stand and made sure the youg lad was ok and got treatment for a split lip, at the end of the game he came back into the stand and gave his shirt to the lad.

I would be surprised if a player didn't get ****ed off about being on the bench....it shows that he is hungry to play for the club.

Would you rather he didn't give a toss and just collected his wages????

So every player who is told he will be on the bench can throw their toys out the pram and be omitted altogether cos "his head isn't right" can they ?

Jason Puncheon is not hungry to play for Southampton F.C., that much is obvious.

So every player who is told he will be on the bench can throw their toys out the pram and be omitted altogether cos "his head isn't right" can they ?

Jason Puncheon is not hungry to play for Southampton F.C., that much is obvious.

Perhaps I should of said it shows that he wants to play football,it may not be for us but I would rather he threw his toys than go on strike.

Tbh He will get over himself and Adkins would do well to try and hold onto him if oxo is doing a bunk,he may not want to play for us but how many players do you know play for anything other than money and i doubt there are many clubs who could offer him more than us.

Get rid imo, his bad attitude can only disrupt the club. Still not forgiven him for turning up in jeans for Markus' memorial service. C*nt.

I'm immediately remind of two posts. The first by Saint_Clarke that went:

"People are STILL saying that Puncheon was wearing disrespectful clothes, but;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70xt5Q_pS4s

Look 5 seconds in. Black trousers, black shirt. Not white shirt and jeans as people keep saying."

and the second a wonderful post by The9 that went along the lines of:

"That won't stop people going on about it forever though, this is one of these facts that we need a section in SaintsWeb to hold, so it can be linked every single time someone perpetuates the same old incorrect argument."

Either people get their facts right about the guy or let's just stick to your opinions about him shall we.

Well found, saved me looking. ;)

As for ottery's finding of Puncheon playing against Blackpool as "strange", let's bear in mind that we changed 8 or 9 starting players for that match, so Puncheon was being regarded as backup even then - though he did play reasonably well in a formation that seemed to be a little reworked to enable him to play more centrally as he did at Millwall.

Adkins will not be our Manager if/when we reach the Premier league he is nowhere near Prem calibre.

Reluctantly have to agree. Interesting that Pardew has eased back into the Prem quite easily but can't see Adkins doing the same.

We have a large squad of largely squad players, of which Puncheon is just one more. If he goes we need a clear first choice player to replace him, not another 'impact sub'. As far as the project is concerned, this team might sneak into the Championship, but at the moment that doesn't look certain and if we do go up, this doesn't look like a team that will set the Championship alight.

if a player feels the manager doesn't rate him and the crowd has got on his back he has two choices -

a. Play really well for himself and the team, then score and run to the crowd/dugout for a pointed celebration that says 'you were wrong'.

or

b. Put little effort in, refuse to travel, sulk and leave.

Having had great support from the fans since his return, a neutral might observe that Puncheon seems to have dismally failed the attitude test.

he doesn't look mentally strong enough for what we are trying to achieve.

byebye