Can we catch them?

Dazza82

I think we will beat them easily at their place but by then they will already be promoted. They have been a model of consistency and I cannot see them slipping up and this is a remarkable achievement for a barely average squad. Fair play to them and their manager.

I think we will beat them easily at their place but by then they will already be promoted. They have been a model of consistency and I cannot see them slipping up and this is a remarkable achievement for a barely average squad. Fair play to them and their manager.

I expect this comment to be picked up and plastered all over the Brighton forum with comments about how arrogant we are etc. :)

I expect this comment to be picked up and plastered all over the Brighton forum with comments about how arrogant we are etc. :)

...Maybe but I have no problems with it as I am all for arrogance...I think it is great. Although the silly comment about having an "barely average squad" might get a few laughs considering we are the best team in this division by a country mile...

Anything is possible in Football: they have just lost their captain for the next 3 games for a straight red. They know that 3 points has them over the finish line promoted, there alone are 2 little triggers that could cause anything to happen in the minds of their players till the end of the season.

I have a mate who has been a Blackpool fan all his life, earlier this season the chat was that they only needed 4 wins to almost certainly secure another season in the prem, I said getting through 30 points would be a hurdle, then from 35 to 40. Now what looked like a breeze of a hurdle with games to spare is a massive wall for them............ How Brighton view the final hurdle we will just have to wait and see: I can't see them stumbling, Poyet (who made Wise look better than he proved to be in management) will not let it happen.

A few months ago I thought the wheels would come off at Brighton but they seem to have ridden through dodgy spells relatively unscathed.

Poyet has them well drilled and I think their style is uncomfortable (patient or frustrating) for many teams to play against. I base most of my knowledge of how they played in the game against us at SMS and a few highlights here and there. I don't know if they always play like that?

One thing I don't like is the South American mentality that seems to encourage the dive, nudge and carding of the opposition. That certainly happened in our game and also in the Huddersfield game shortly after. I know Barney's makes a meal out of things but it is quite isolated in our team.

No doubt Poyet is good (he made Dennis Wise look effective), but it will be interesting if his style works as well in the Championship. Certainly against quicker players they may struggle (as they did against Stoke).

I don't buy their ground being much of an influence. It's not like the Dell which had an intimidation factor, it is a bit too open and their not playing against prima donas every week.

FWIW I think we have a stronger depth of squad, better individuals in most areas but they have a better team - and certainly have the results to back it up. They probably have a better manager too but I prefer Nige (less of a tosser).

Poyet has them well drilled and I think their style is uncomfortable (patient or frustrating) for many teams to play against. I base most of my knowledge of how they played in the game against us at SMS and a few highlights here and there. I don't know if they always play like that?.

No doubt Poyet is good (he made Dennis Wise look effective), but it will be interesting if his style works as well in the Championship. Certainly against quicker players they may struggle (as they did against Stoke).

QUOTE]

Agree. Poyet's success now finally explains how someone as thick as Wise was briefly successful as manager when presumably Poyet was really doing the work.

I've only seen them in the game at St. Mary's so there may be more to them than I know, but if that game is typical they seemed to rely so much on slowing the game down, frustrating the opposition and trying to score on the break, that I think they may struggle at a higher level unless their bigger (but still small) new ground means they will have some money to spend next year. More talented players than they've had to deal with in L1 will give them more problems, so they'll need more than the one trick style they showed against us.

I do not see us catching them this season, but I do see us finishing above them next season.

...Maybe but I have no problems with it as I am all for arrogance...I think it is great. Although the silly comment about having an "barely average squad" might get a few laughs considering we are the best team in this division by a country mile...

You're certainly 1 goal better than most of the last 10 teams you've played, yes.

...We certainly start off slow in our build-ups but then zip it about with our passing when in attacking positions. We have barely had a chance to "play on the counter-attack" as most of the teams we have played this season have parked the bus even when they have been at home! This has been especially in evidence since Christmas and games have been extremely difficult to break teams down hence the narrow suggesting score-lines despite us being clearly superior. Would you rather have beaten Charlton 1-0 or drawn 1-1?...Not that it mattes now as I fully expect you to be promoted.

It may looked like we played on the counter at your gaff because in the first-half, you gave a real do-ing...I was thankful in getting to half-time at 0-0 and was equally thankful that the first-half threat did not materialise in the second period.

As for next season we can take heart from teams like Norwich & Swansea who also play passing attacking football so I am quietly confident...Also, I expect the chairman to splash the cash to bolster an already decent squad to make us even more competitive. Now, I am not predicting a promotion push (despite it probably being what the chairman wants) as that would be nonsense, but we should easily see ourselves sitting comfortable in mid-table...

Well thats our slim hopes over now then, A win for Brighton against Walsall and they will win the league.

Can lock this thread now i suppose.

So when we play them they will be champions and our squad will have to give them a 'guard of honour' as they take to the field.

Just a tad galling, and their fans will love that i'm sure.

So when we play them they will be champions and our squad will have to give them a 'guard of honour' as they take to the field.

Just a tad galling, and their fans will love that i'm sure.

But we can make ourselfs feel better by taking their unbeaten home record off them ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Brighton have got:

Dagenham & Redbridge (H); Walsall (A); Southampton (H); Colchester (A); Huddersfield (H); Notts County (A)

If they lose to us and Huddersfield, and draw at Colchester (who could still make play-offs) and Notts county (who are fighting to survive) and they beat daggers and walsall that will put them on 95 points

If we win all our games we will be on 95 points so would go down to goal diff.

But they could lose to us,Huddersfield and Colchester drawing with Notts county putting them on 94 points.

The race for the title is far from over imo.

Not a bad shout.

Could of been interesting if we had beaten Rochdale

Now that is one hell of a call, but still think it could have been much different if we had beaten Rochdale as Brighton could have been crowned champions if they had then beaten us and in turn I think Huddersfield would have got second place. I am very happy the way it turned out!!

Now that is one hell of a call, but still think it could have been much different if we had beaten Rochdale as Brighton could have been crowned champions if they had then beaten us and in turn I think Huddersfield would have got second place. I am very happy the way it turned out!!

Indeed. The loss to Rochdale could have actually been a blessing in disguise.

Not a bad shout.

Could of been interesting if we had beaten Rochdale

Tough to say tbh. If we really could have threatened Brighton for the title I think they'd have won the games they lost, including our one. Possibly to our benefit, they had nothing to play for when we met them.

For what it's worth, I think your lot did remarkably well getting so close in the end. I am slightly irritated by it, because we had absolutely ****ed the league until the final month, yet the records will show that only 3 points separate the top two teams in the end. Obviously, I suspect our lads were on the beach for the last 3 games but were very much bang up for the Southampton game with an unbeaten home record to protect, which you saw fit to end, so don't let any of my fellow Albion fans tell you otherwise. :( Once that had gone, I suspect all motivation went too.

Congratulations on your promotion by the way, I haven't been on here for a while. See you next season in our shiny new stadium, for which, incidentally, we sold the last of our 18,400 season tickets two days ago. The place is going to be absolutely rammed for most of next season, and I can't wait. It's been a long, long wait to finally be a proper football club again.

For what it's worth, I think your lot did remarkably well getting so close in the end. I am slightly irritated by it, because we had absolutely ****ed the league until the final month, yet the records will show that only 3 points separate the top two teams in the end. Obviously, I suspect our lads were on the beach for the last 3 games but were very much bang up for the Southampton game with an unbeaten home record to protect, which you saw fit to end, so don't let any of my fellow Albion fans tell you otherwise. :( Once that had gone, I suspect all motivation went too.

Congratulations on your promotion by the way, I haven't been on here for a while. See you next season in our shiny new stadium, for which, incidentally, we sold the last of our 18,400 season tickets two days ago. The place is going to be absolutely rammed for most of next season, and I can't wait. It's been a long, long wait to finally be a proper football club again.

That's fight talk Sim. You shouldn't come on other teams boards and wind up their fans.

Good luck next season, exciting times on the south coast.

Thank God you are back. I was getting worried about you. We haven't heard from you since 21 April. Did anything happen that weekend to stop you posting your normal 3 posts a day?? Some how I think that if BHA had won a football match on 23 April we would have heard a lot more from you.

You and your team are really fairweather, flat track bullies. You love it when your team hammers the dross in the league.You enjoy it when things are going well but at the first sight of difficulty you disappear. You can beat the likes of Dagenham & Redbridge. It is teams like Saints andHuddersfield that you have trouble with.

I wonder how many season tickets you will sell in 2012/2013. Even if you stay up and even if your unpleasant, ungracious manager has not jumped ship by then, I think that many of the JCL's that have attached themselves to your club will be finding other ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Thank God you are back. I was getting worried about you. We haven't heard from you since 21 April. Did anything happen that weekend to stop you posting your normal 3 posts a day?? Some how I think that if BHA had won a football match on 23 April we would have heard a lot more from you.

You and your team are really fairweather, flat track bullies. You love it when your team hammers the dross in the league.You enjoy it when things are going well but at the first sight of difficulty you disappear. You can beat the likes of Dagenham & Redbridge. It is teams like Saints andHuddersfield that you have trouble with.

I wonder how many season tickets you will sell in 2012/2013. Even if you stay up and even if your unpleasant, ungracious manager has not jumped ship by then, I think that many of the JCL's that have attached themselves to your club will be finding other ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Unfair I think. Brighton are a proper club and I think their promotion and their shiny new stadium will attract fans in large numbers. Yes, Poyet has been ungracious. And, yes, one or two of their fans couldn't resist having a pop at us when they were so far ahead. But, I'm sorry to say, some of our fans can be idiots too. And, in the end, it was pretty close between the two teams. I hope they do well in the Championship (but not quite as well as us).

Unfair I think. Brighton are a proper club and I think their promotion and their shiny new stadium will attract fans in large numbers. Yes, Poyet has been ungracious. And, yes, one or two of their fans couldn't resist having a pop at us when they were so far ahead. But, I'm sorry to say, some of our fans can be idiots too. And, in the end, it was pretty close between the two teams. I hope they do well in the Championship (but not quite as well as us).

Possibly an unfair response to Simster, but not to 95% of the berks on NSC.

I will enjoy them returning to their status as a no-mark nonentity struggling against relegation in the Championship again next season.

Interesting to note that they have 18,400 ST holders, I'm assuming that means there will be about 2000 away seats and a tiny number of on-day home tickets on sale (can't see there being 4000 away fans). That's going to make for some empty-looking grounds if Brighton carry on their end of season form, which was scraping one goal wins against the bottom half, followed by only drawing against mid-tablers and losing to their nearest rivals.

It'll be an interesting experiment actually, to see how many ST holders they will have not bothering to go by the end of 2011/12. They won't be going for their exciting, expansive football, as it only exists in Poyet's head. As soon as it gets tricky they resort to gamesmanship and Calderon wanging it up the wing, which doesn't work.

On a slightly different note "the Pink" had a list (p 21) showing what happened to the automatically promoted sides in following season in the CC.

Now if you remember last week "the Monkey" was going on about "in ten years time people will remember who is champions etc. etc..".

Well in the 2001/2 season the Seaweed were also Champions on L1 (which I didn't know 9 years later) and they finished 23rd in the CC and were relegated the following season. The runners-up that year were Reading who finished 4th and were in the playoffs.

IMO it is funny how history COULD repeat itself.

On a slightly different note "the Pink" had a list (p 21) showing what happened to the automatically promoted sides in following season in the CC.

Now if you remember last week "the Monkey" was going on about "in ten years time people will remember who is champions etc. etc..".

Well in the 2001/2 season the Seaweed were also Champions on L1 (which I didn't know 9 years later) and they finished 23rd in the CC and were relegated the following season. The runners-up that year were Reading who finished 4th and were in the playoffs.

IMO it is funny how history COULD repeat itself.

I've been banging on for months that their highest Football League finish in nearly 20 years is 20th in the Championship, I'm not sure what makes them think next season will be any different.

The overheads of a new ground and the loss of any home advantage they may have had will both conspire against them in terms of winning matches and squad-strengthening (though I think they had the worst home record in League One in 2009/10 so whatever there was about Withdean was hardly long-established). You could see how their results dropped off at the end of the season already, such are the fine margins in professional football.

Yes ..some of the posters on here are too young to remember the old Brighton of the Goldstone ground. They are inherently a solid second division (ie NPC) club, who will have odd excursions to the premier league or a good cup run, and odd times spent below in L1. Their biggest problem for the near future is that their ludicrously expensive new ground is simply too small to allow them to break out of their historical second division level. 22.5k is not enough to support anything more than NPC at best. Even our 32k is only just enough for the premier league. (I wonder when we will expand to more than 32k btw?)

Too funny. Christ on a bike, I came on here and congratulated you on your promotion. What more do you want? It's not like I've spent months on here winding you up is it? And I'm not quite sure how a Southampton fan can accuse a Brighton fan of being fairweather. I'm not saying your support is fairweather, but given what we've been through over the past 15 years I'd say our support has held up well. We played two seasons in Gilingham (170 mile round trip), and yet the second season saw an average gate of 3,000, for our third successive season of being the 2nd shìttest team in the entire league. Withdean gates have been mediocre, but it is a dire place to watch football and the perception has always been that tickets were difficult to obtain because they were not sold on match day, and you couldn't pay on the gate. On the other hand, you've "suffered" two seasons at this level in living memory, and one of those ended up in promotion. You're in no position to talk about fair weather support, because you really haven't had many bad times to put up with.

Don't really care what you think of our manager, tbh.

Possibly an unfair response to Simster, but not to 95% of the berks on NSC.
Thank you. I agree there are a large number of muppets on NSC, as there are on most message boards. I see you have a few resident dorks on here. "Lets just settle for the playoffs" - top drawer thread there after losing one game AGES ago! :)

But yes, our NSC Southampton threads have been tiresome, embarrassing, grossly unfair and made our support look feckin small-time. The fact is we've never really had a nasty rivalry with Southampton, and historically we've actually quite liked you, especially as we don't much like the skates either.

I will enjoy them returning to their status as a no-mark nonentity struggling against relegation in the Championship again next season.

Interesting to note that they have 18,400 ST holders, I'm assuming that means there will be about 2000 away seats and a tiny number of on-day home tickets on sale (can't see there being 4000 away fans). That's going to make for some empty-looking grounds if Brighton carry on their end of season form, which was scraping one goal wins against the bottom half, followed by only drawing against mid-tablers and losing to their nearest rivals.

It'll be an interesting experiment actually, to see how many ST holders they will have not bothering to go by the end of 2011/12. They won't be going for their exciting, expansive football, as it only exists in Poyet's head. As soon as it gets tricky they resort to gamesmanship and Calderon wanging it up the wing, which doesn't work.

2,300 away fans, 1,800 tickets for general sale and club guests apparently. It's an interesting model, but hasn't done Norwich City any harm. They had 21,000 STHs in league 1 and retained them all this season. We won't be returning to no-mark relegation struggler status I'm afraid. We've got money in the bank, thanks to cash up front from those season ticket sales. We do have a stadium to pay for, but Bloom bleeds blue and white and is made of money - the loan is interest free and if not paid back, he gets the value of the club in shares or something. Basically, we're OK there. I am expecting a top half finish, but through gritted teeth will have to admit that I expect you to finish above us.

I've been banging on for months that their highest Football League finish in nearly 20 years is 20th in the Championship, I'm not sure what makes them think next season will be any different.
We'll have above average Championship gates, a brand new stadium, and a war chest to spend on players thanks to those season ticket sales. Slightly different from the past 20 years really.

And Ken, you are right - 22,500 has proved to be too small, but I'm pleased they've done it that way as restricting supply fuels demand. The ground has been built so that seats can be bolted into the corners and into an unused tier in the East stand to bring ground capacity up to 31,000 which I should imagine would be fine. No structural alterations are necessary to make this happen, it is literally a case of bolting in seats if the demand is there and planning permission is granted. I'd rather the club didn't get ideas about lifting the roof at either end and raising it still further, because we're not going to spend every season in the Premiership or even the Championship and 10,000 rattling around in a 40,000 arena is a horrible thought. We're going see this scenario on a bigger scale with West Ham, aren't we?

Best of luck mate, must have been hard watching your team in that shocking ground for the last few years! Great season for both teams!

Just out of interest, has any team ever done well in their first season in a new stadium?

My perception (and nothing more) is that half the teams do about the same as they were before, and half the teams have stepped back a level in their first season in a new stadium.

I guess Brighton fans should be optimistic about playing in a shiny new stadium in front of bigger crowds, but is there any reason to think their team will 'automatically' step up a level?

Too funny. Christ on a bike, I came on here and congratulated you on your promotion. What more do you want? It's not like I've spent months on here winding you up is it? And I'm not quite sure how a Southampton fan can accuse a Brighton fan of being fairweather. I'm not saying your support is fairweather, but given what we've been through over the past 15 years I'd say our support has held up well. We played two seasons in Gilingham (170 mile round trip), and yet the second season saw an average gate of 3,000, for our third successive season of being the 2nd shìttest team in the entire league. Withdean gates have been mediocre, but it is a dire place to watch football and the perception has always been that tickets were difficult to obtain because they were not sold on match day, and you couldn't pay on the gate. On the other hand, you've "suffered" two seasons at this level in living memory, and one of those ended up in promotion. You're in no position to talk about fair weather support, because you really haven't had many bad times to put up with.

Don't really care what you think of our manager, tbh.

You may not have been one of the wind up merchants but you posted on this forum on several occasions leading up to the match at the Withdean. Amongst other things, you called our manager a mong and predicted a victory for your team. After the match , you did not appear here for nearly 3 weeks but then object when I tease you about your silence. Jesus wept!! Somehow I think that if you win the corresponding fixture next season , you will be on here pretty sharpish!! Perhaps our manager will be a mong again!!

I do not understand your dig at Southampton having fairweather fans. Over the last 5 years or so our average attendance has remained in the 18k - 22k range. I don't see any sudden rush of new fans at SMS. Qhat do you mean about Southampton fans being fairweather? (Unfortunately) Southampton fans are rarely accused of being glory hunters!!

Don't you wonder where the new season ticket holders have come from? For the last couple of years the Withdean has been big enough for your needs as you have averaged barely 6,000 fans per season. Even at the start of the season just finished you were still not getting crowds of 7,000. Now all of a sudden you have over 18,000 season ticket holders. Your fans who kept the club going during the Gillingham years earn my admiration. The new season ticket holders do not. JCL's like them could well disappear as quickly as they appear.

I am pleased that at least you think like me about next season. We will probably finish above you. :-)

Can you catch us ? Boasted the front cover of their programme. Too bloody right we will, and some.

Actually it was "Champions... can you keep up". I'm keeping my powder dry and hoping for another late season visit to Brighton next season, where we can taunt from significantly above with "nanananananananana are you keeping up?" or some more witty retort. That bloody tune's been stuck in my head for weeks now, and we WON.

Nice to see that Simster thinks selling 18,000 STs will fund good enough players to keep them up, it'll probably get sunk straight into just trying to keep the players they have on new deals.

Edited by The9

I'm not saying your support is fairweather

I do not understand your dig at Southampton having fairweather fans...blah blah
READ what I said, FFS. I actually said you were in no position to call us fairweather until you've spent a good 15-20 years in league 1 or league 2. I explicitly said I wasn't calling your support fairweather.

READ what I said, FFS. I actually said you were in no position to call us fairweather until you've spent a good 15-20 years in league 1 or league 2. I explicitly said I wasn't calling your support fairweather.

Are you still here Simster? This point scoring is getting old between Brighton and Saints.