Can we catch them?

Dazza82

Over the first 7 games of the season

Brighton: Won 4, drew 2, lost 1.

Saints: Won 1, drew 2, lost 4.

We've been neck and neck ever since.

The difference between us is that we had our usual poor start and they had a good one.

We must work on pre season and get our heads in the right place from day 1.

so were 9 points behind after 7 games, win our game in hand will be 10 behind - shows what good impact Adkins has had

Brighton have got:

Dagenham & Redbridge (H); Walsall (A); Southampton (H); Colchester (A); Huddersfield (H); Notts County (A)

If they lose to us and Huddersfield, and draw at Colchester (who could still make play-offs) and Notts county (who are fighting to survive) and they beat daggers and walsall that will put them on 95 points

If we win all our games we will be on 95 points so would go down to goal diff.

But they could lose to us,Huddersfield and Colchester drawing with Notts county putting them on 94 points.

The race for the title is far from over imo.

I would be much happier to see them beat Huddersfield. Promotion is our first priority!!!

I thought Brighton might have been a play off side this season, but all credit to them they've been exceptional! with 14,000 season tickets sold in their new stadium for next season already and a really good manager in charge they can push on next season.

A far cry from their dark days.

I expect us to finish above them next season if we both get promoted though...

We need to concentrate on 2nd,end of.

WHY? whats wrong ? our aim is only to keep winning .. this dosent alter that so why does it matter that we "focus" on 2nd?

dont underestimate how much a role confidence plays in football & nerves .. few more shocks yet to come this season .. indeed if they win & are promoted, & do let that get to them it's very easy to take foot off pedal, without wanting to & then be unable to find the pedal again ..

I'd say it's deeply, deeply unlikely.

They've been amazingly consistent and there just aren't enough games left to catch them really.

It's maybe a 1% or 2% chance...no higher.

May as well aim for it. But I agree with those who will be cheering Brighton on against Huddersfield.

I would much rather Brighton win against Huddersfield and we can finish second comfortably than worry about being champions. It's virtually undoable anyway imo, Brighton deserve to be up there with their consistency. Getting out this league is priority number one, second place gives us this, and I'd take it with bells on.

But all we can do is keep winning...

Of course we can catch them - but not until next season. They are home free now (and thoroughly deserve to be), let's just concentrate on not blowing 2nd place and then see who's top dog next year - should be interesting.

We dropped 10 points at home in our first four home games though. Our away form wasn't too bad but those four results in hindsight are massive anomalies when you look at our home record between then and now.

Thinking back to that period, it doesn't feel like that spell was this season. My f*****g god we were shít then.

we can but we wont. we dont deserve it, too many silly results over the season.

This sort of thing confuses me, Mathmatically we can catch them so if we do and finish top we deserve to because we would of got there over 46 games.

I agree very unlikely. Interesting However that over the last 8 games we have gained 17(!) points on another south coast team beginning with B who were flying and very consistent etc.

Indeed. Had there been a thread entitled: "can we get 17 more points than Bournemouth over the next 8 games?" you'd get pretty much the same spread of answers you see on this thread...

It's a funny old game Saint...

Aim for 1st - worst can happen is 2nd. Aim for 2nd - worse that can happen is playoffs.

So let's aim for 1st. Whilst it is mathematically possible that can be the only target. When it is mathematically impossible we settle for 2nd which I will be quite happy with.

Aim for 1st - worst can happen is 2nd. Aim for 2nd - worse that can happen is playoffs.

So let's aim for 1st. Whilst it is mathematically possible that can be the only target. When it is mathematically impossible we settle for 2nd which I will be quite happy with.

Yes, we are probably all agreed on this. But the specific question that the OP raises is (I think), can (will) we catch Brighton, can (will) we overhaul them, will we win the league?

Yes, we are probably all agreed on this. But the specific question that the OP raises is (I think), can (will) we catch Brighton, can (will) we overhaul them, will we win the league?

I can confirm Mick, that come the end of the season when all games have been played, we will know whether (or not) we have won the league.

It also doesn't account for the huge advantage they have in that ground. Teams HATE going there because it's a horrible experience in all ways

Teams may hate going there but it's not really an advantage for us. Last season we lost more games at home than any other team in league one. In previous seasons we've alternated between mediocrity and so-so at home. This season we've been superb at home but our away form this season is also the best in League One and both home and away can be attributed simply to our management team of Poyet and Tarricco.

fans hate it too

Absolutely. In years to come, when people on this board talk about tinpot little grounds they've watched the Saints at, I fully expect Withdean to be pretty high on everyone's list. And believe me, us Brighton fans hate it as much as you do.

They could get a big shock in a new ground when teams enjoy going there.

Yep, this does worry me....as does losing Poyet.

You're 16/1 for the title which is probably about right.

However, Gus will decide whether that represents good value or not. I'm half thinking that he might play his fringe players once automatic promotion is secure, and if that happens then 16/1 would certainly look like a value bet, especially given our fixture list. I'm saying it would make you favourites as we would still have to collapse ridiculously to let you in, but if the odds drift even further after we've beaten Dagenham tomorrow night, I might have some of that as a hedge against being massively disappointed.

Up until now, you've been the second best team in the league and I'm pleased you'll probably join us in the Championship. In fact Albion v Southampton on August 6th would be perfect, and a neat symmetry with us being your last opponents at the Dell. :)

I think you will find that our last opponents at the Dell were Arsenal ,we won 3-2 with Matt Le tiz scorring the winner.

OOPS youre right I think there was a friendly the following week. There can't have been many seats left.

Edited by OVER THE HILL
old age

I'm with nervous Nige on this; we've just got to keep chipping away, the lads are taking care of business, they've worked fantastically hard and as you can see, they're together as one. We've just got to keep chipping away and see where it takes us as we'll keep chipping away and taking one game at a time. It's as simple as that.

;)