Saints 2 Preston 1 Match & Reaction Thread

St Chalet

Just back - one thing very evident we need back up forwards who can score goals.

Forte - I just don't see the poimt - he is not a footballer full stop.

Fast maybe but on tonight's showing forget it!

Sadly Jonno is not for me either but what about young Ben Reeves then? I detected a bit of a tenacious streak in him and certainly an eye for openings. One most definitely for the future. Well played Ben!

terrible, by far and away his worst display in a Saints shirt and that's from someone that has praised him a lot against the tide.

Thanks Chez. Have always considered you to have a more realistic outlook than some so I trust what you say. Can't say he's ever been my favourite player and I'm surprised he wasn't sold in the summer. How did Jos do? Sounded pretty solid and hope he continues his progress. Also hope he is OK for Saturday though it sounds like Martin could do a job if needed.

Isn't Ben Reeves a left back? At least he has been in the couple of Academy games I've seen.

Aldershot away next please.

I thought he was too, but he looks very comfortable in midfield. He could be wasted at left back, where you need pace IMO. He doesn't seem like an up and down man, he was busy, and neat and tidy and very happy to take the ball with his back to goal and with players up his backside. I want to say Paul Scholes-like, but I know someone will jump all over that, but certainly he reminded me of Scholes when he was first starting out. We may have found a gem - although I know he has been talked about for quite a while now - but not as a midfielder.

Aldershot away for me.

Thanks Chez. Have always considered you to have a more realistic outlook than some so I trust what you say. Can't say he's ever been my favourite player and I'm surprised he wasn't sold in the summer. How did Jos do? Sounded pretty solid and hope he continues his progress. Also hope he is OK for Saturday though it sounds like Martin could do a job if needed.

I love Dickson's endevour (spell) and hard running, but he looked very deflated and every time his touched it it went wrong. I hate people that say a player looked like he wanted out or whatever, but he played so poorly it crossed my mind. He clearly was rusty, but he also looked flat and not really up for it.

I thought Jos looked good again. I thought he was excellent on Sunday and there was more of the same here. He even shot from 25 yards with the keeper saving well, so confidence is high. I don't think he is the complete answer, he lacks pace and is not quite nasty enough or sharp enough, but he will do fine till Jaidi/Seaborne come back then we can argue who is the best or worst as they all are going to divide opinion.

This cup is definitely not our priority but we keep winning! Going out to a big team in the next round would be no shame at all, but I'd like to think we'd give them a game.With all the B teams being fielded, I wonder if our A team could win this competition? Man City's B team looks impressive though!

I love Dickson's endevour (spell) and hard running, but he looked very deflated and every time his touched it it went wrong. I hate people that say a player looked like he wanted out or whatever, but he played so poorly it crossed my mind. He clearly was rusty, but he also looked flat and not really up for it.

I thought Jos looked good again. I thought he was excellent on Sunday and there was more of the same here. He even shot from 25 yards with the keeper saving well, so confidence is high. I don't think he is the complete answer, he lacks pace and is not quite nasty enough or sharp enough, but he will do fine till Jaidi/Seaborne come back then we can argue who is the best or worst as they all are going to divide opinion.

Yes I agree and it's the main reason that I really feel we need a CB who has that position nailed on like Fonte does. Could it be Jos? Maybe, but as you say he has his weak points and may be too early to tell.

This cup is definitely not our priority but we keep winning! Going out to a big team in the next round would be no shame at all, but I'd like to think we'd give them a game.With all the B teams being fielded, I wonder if our A team could win this competition? Man City's B team looks impressive though!

Man city doesn't have a "B" team... They have 11 phenomenal individuals and another phenomenal individuals. I'm yet to be convinced they have a single team. They're going to win the cup this year though looking at the other teams competing :D

easy game in full control for first half (even though bart still managed to flap at a corner for some reason). second half needed to bring on lallana or lambert to bag us a goal as the team never really looked like putting the ball in the back of the net.

players did work hard though, both morgan and chaplow ran themselves ragged hence why we lost the midfeild in last 10mins. saying that defence never really looked like being beaten for a second time.

i called for him to be selected and i'm glad ben reeves started, looked very good and used the ball well. nice surprise to see him targeted with the deep cross to the far post at corners and him getting a assist.

Football is all about opinions, I know, but I must have been watching a different match to some of you!

Why the hate for Dicko? I thought he was one of our better players tonight. Linked well with Holmes in first half, always keen to get forward. A decent backup at LB and can play LM as well, so I would want to keep him.

I can't understand the support for Ben Reeves. I know he's young and it was his first game, but honestly - all huff and puff, no end product. Yes, we don't need any more left backs, but playing him up front was bizarre,

But I do agree about Forte. Oh dear. He's not a central striker, not sure he's a winger, he's just another body in the box.

Overall, Holmes and de Ridder played well first half, lots of crosses that Lambo would have put away, had he been on. But Forte doesn't know how to head it and Reeves is too small. Took Hoovield to show them how to put it away.

So - defence - all fine.

CM - Morgan and Chappers - fine.

Wingers - de Ridder and Holmes - only play Holmes if Lambo getting on the end of the crosses, otherwise no point.

Strikers - Forte and Reeves - makewieghts, sadly. Can't play either of these up front in the 4th round.

The whole evening had the feel of watching a training session - tippy tappy passing, no one making lung busting runs or desperate to score. Came home wishing I'd stayed in and watched Location Location ...

terrible, by far and away his worst display in a Saints shirt and that's from someone that has praised him a lot against the tide.

Sorry to read this. I've got a lot of time for Dickson. I am sure he is both game rusty and a little deflated at being down the pecking order. Of all Nigel's assessment of our squad and their place in the bus, I reckon this is his only error.

Poor game. Can't really agree with Nigel that we have strength in depth. Has Forte ever won a header in his career?

As a side note, I have been informed there will be an announcement tomorrow. Not sure what it is or what kind of announcement, just passing it on.

I'll take a guess, its an update on Dan Seaborne. It would be good to hear how he has been since leaving hospital as its been quiet of late regarding his recovery.

I was very impressed with Ben Reeves, he seemed like he was everywhere all game, and amazingly confident as well which was pleasing to see! Jos was solid again and Martin seems to be improving each game. Although second half i felt we took our foot off the gas and let Preston back into it. They had more of the ball and looked rather threatening until Adkins brought on the "big guns!". Good win and i look forward to seeing the draw on Saturday.

Only negative - im not sure if anyone else gets annoyed by this, maybe its just me but here goes... why do the saints fans sing "Adkins, Adkins give us a wave" 10 times in a game?! I understand if we're 4-0 up but why sing it in the 90th minute when hes screaming from the touchline to his players, ensuring his message gets across in the dying minutes of the game so we see out the win. Surely we should be singing our hearts out for the lads, not asking Nigel to wave to us... Let him get on with the job in hand then get him to wave as much as you like after the game ffs!! Ok rant over...

Anyway Aldershot or Arsenal away would be perfect!

A interesting game that we were always in controll of Preston goal flatered them we should have won by a bigger margin would have if we had anyone other than Forte up front.

I thought Deridder looked very good Holmes did well Reeves looks like a good prospect Chappers had a good game as did Morgan I also thought Butterfield was quality.

The game was very low key like a training match really poor attendance which I dont understand we are playing really good football that is a pleasure to watch I am glad I went it seems we do have some very good squad players we also have some dead wood that needs clearing out Dickson & Forte for a start.

We need to get a centre forward in on loan & also buy 1 in Jan our wingers were tearing Preston apart but there was no one to take advantage with Barnard looking like he will be away for some time we have no options & need to wrap DC & Lambo in cotton wool & look after them hope Nigel sorts out a striker pronto.

what's the name of the bloke on solent radio.. not merrington?

feking wish he would pronounce Southampton properly. It is not 'sthhamton'.

Are you from the city? I'm not originally and so pronounce it fully, my son on the other hand is, and regrettably says 'sthhamton' (though with silent second 'h' and second 't' - 'sutham'n).

Football is all about opinions, I know, but I must have been watching a different match to some of you!

Why the hate for Dicko? I thought he was one of our better players tonight. Linked well with Holmes in first half, always keen to get forward. A decent backup at LB and can play LM as well, so I would want to keep him.

I can't understand the support for Ben Reeves. I know he's young and it was his first game, but honestly - all huff and puff, no end product. Yes, we don't need any more left backs, but playing him up front was bizarre,

I am Dickson's number 1 fan on here I think, but he was terrible. His first touch was poor, his distribution woeful, when he did make a run forward he ran straight out of play. He made poor decisions when to let it bounce when not to and overall gave the ball away a lot. If you didn't see any of that you must have had blinkers on.

Forte is not adept at playing the lone frontman role - had Lambert been up top with him he may have been a different story last night.

However, saying that he may lack the positional sense in the Championship to be in the right place at the right time - and it is that that makes me feel we still need that pacey striker from elsewhere.

Ryan Dickson I think is playing with a slight fear over his status within the group. If you look up in the stands you have both Fox and Harding above him in the pecking order.

Look further forward on the pitch last night you had Ben Reeves, and on the bench Luke Shaw - all champing at the bit to take his spot in the squad.

I think he'd still benefit (as would Reeves) with a loan move to L1 to boost his confidence and open up possible permenant moves away if he then decides he wants it.

Lessons I learnt last night -

1 Forte is no centre forward

2 It is a worry that we have no ready made replacement for Ricky should the unthinkable happen

3 Just how good is Lallana

4 Reeves made a really good debut & could play the 'Connolly' role

5 It was unfair on him & Forte, because both would have looked better for Sir Ricky's presence

6 Martin could step into our back four at any time without looking out of place. He looked assured on the ball, commanding & more physically developed than a year ago. for someone playiong non-league not long ago, he really looks like he the potential to a long way

7 I thought Dickson was okay, but he, Holmes & De Ridder all seemed to be trying 'too hard' and didn't have the confidence that those in the team have - RD by being too ambitious, LH by always taking an extra touch & SDR by trying to do the wonder shot/pass, not the easy thing

8 Bart is not going to displace KD any time soon on that showing

9 Preston must be p**d off to have let Chaplow go for nothing

10 Overall, stick a half decent centre forward in that team & it would be good enough to beat a lot of teams in the CCC.

Just back - one thing very evident we need back up forwards who can score goals.

Forte - I just don't see the poimt - he is not a footballer full stop.

Fast maybe but on tonight's showing forget it!

Totally agree, maybe he has some hidden qualities but on the evidence I have seen there are none. He has no vision and no movement off the ball. Yes, he is quick, but from a flat-footed standing start that does not help. At school we used to play statues, I think he would have won hands down every time. I have never seen a player who so evidently does not seem to know what to do when he does not have the ball, and hasn't much more idea when he does have it. Our game is so much about movement off the ball and finding space, sadly he does not fit into this style in any way, shape or form. I think we have a very strong squad, but for me Jonno really is the weakest link, and as such we have no backup for Lambert.

Poor game. Can't really agree with Nigel that we have strength in depth. Has Forte ever won a header in his career?

As a side note, I have been informed there will be an announcement tomorrow. Not sure what it is or what kind of announcement, just passing it on.

Any news on what this announcement might be? Decent loan striker would be nice...

Lessons I learnt last night -

1 Forte is no centre forward

2 It is a worry that we have no ready made replacement for Ricky should the unthinkable happen

3 Just how good is Lallana

4 Reeves made a really good debut & could play the 'Connolly' role

5 It was unfair on him & Forte, because both would have looked better for Sir Ricky's presence

6 Martin could step into our back four at any time without looking out of place. He looked assured on the ball, commanding & more physically developed than a year ago. for someone playiong non-league not long ago, he really looks like he the potential to a long way

7 I thought Dickson was okay, but he, Holmes & De Ridder all seemed to be trying 'too hard' and didn't have the confidence that those in the team have - RD by being too ambitious, LH by always taking an extra touch & SDR by trying to do the wonder shot/pass, not the easy thing

8 Bart is not going to displace KD any time soon on that showing

9 Preston must be p**d off to have let Chaplow go for nothing

10 Overall, stick a half decent centre forward in that team & it would be good enough to beat a lot of teams in the CCC.

Agree with all this .A first game for Dickson and Butterfield I think and although they tried hard neither looked ready for the first team.

He looked very low on confidence and to be honest like he was trying too hard to impress. Guess thats inevitable from someone who has dropped down to 3rd choice.

Any news on what this announcement might be? Decent loan striker would be nice...

No idea I'm afraid, I just heard that something will be announced today and it was requested that the news was not made public last night.

I apologise in advance if people wear out their F5 keys, for what it's worth I don't think it'll be anything big.

Are you from the city? I'm not originally and so pronounce it fully, my son on the other hand is, and regrettably says 'sthhamton' (though with silent second 'h' and second 't' - 'sutham'n).

I prefer Southampton, but don't mind any of these or even 'Saampton' - so long as its not 'Soton' as the press disdainfully

abbreviate us.

Well done to all those people who came along, what a great game of football even with our reserves. I have more admiration than ever for Adders after Brown's irritating effing barking all night long aided by his witless assistant. I'd have thought if they'd done their job right on the training ground there would have been no need to constantly shout at players on the pitch, poor sods must have been really ****ed off. I much preferred the quiet approach of Adders, hardly needed to say anything and when he did it was "Adam" or "Morgan" not "OI! Mellor get up the effing field"

2-1 was not the right scoreline for all our dominance that's the only grumble.

Morgan was magic and gives Adders a real headache, how do you fit them all in?

Ben Reeves looks like the real deal, maybe not as instinctively gifted as that little Gooner turd but definitely better than some on there last night.

Well done to all those people who came along, what a great game of football even with our reserves. I have more admiration than ever for Adders after Brown's irritating effing barking all night long aided by his witless assistant. I'd have thought if they'd done their job right on the training ground there would have been no need to constantly shout at players on the pitch, poor sods must have been really ****ed off. I much preferred the quiet approach of Adders, hardly needed to say anything and when he did it was "Adam" or "Morgan" not "OI! Mellor get up the effing field"

2-1 was not the right scoreline for all our dominance that's the only grumble.

Morgan was magic and gives Adders a real headache, how do you fit them all in?

Ben Reeves looks like the real deal, maybe not as instinctively gifted as that little Gooner turd but definitely better than some on there last night.

Thank God - for a moment reading all the other garbage on this thread I thought I had crashed last night and been in a coma until right now...

Last night was too easy for us, that was the only issue and we must guard against complacency.

It felt like a training game because no-one sung a bloody song all night - Northam where were you? At home watching Location Location...? ;)

Reeves looks a right gem - had quiet spells of course, he is only 12 for feck's sake!!

Jos the Boss looked the part. Swept up well and had the confidence to run half the field and have a crack. Absolutely good enough for the Championship.

Look, some of you miserable bankers need to wake up and appreciate that this was our reserve team (youth and 3rd reserve in some cases) handing out a footballing lesson.

I have watched some right old b o ll o x football over the past 30 years.

Last night we played some great football and only lacked an end product because most of the guys last kicked a ball in anger a month ago!!

If this is a bad as it gets, give me 30 more years of this and not watching committed cloggers create an occasional upset.

The bottom third of the Premiership would struggle to defend against us right now. We have so much confidence on the ball. I love it.