The official unofficial January transfer targets thread..

SB

who is they... in letting him go..?

Errr... Celtic fairly obviously?

We will not be signing Gary Hooper. We will not be signing anyone like Hoillet or Rodallega. All of these player will have premiership clubs after them which will be much more attractive draws than us.

Commons I could see making sense, hopefully on loan with a view to a permanent deal. Can play in a few different position and would create some nice competition for places in the squad. He has a decent Championship goalscoring record as well. I have no information as to his character, whether he would fit in here etc. Nor do I know anything about his injury record or what kind of wages he is on / would want. I imagine he wouldn't come cheap though. The only thing I would add on it is that our deals tend to be kept very quiet, so open speculation (in a national paper nonetheless) is unlikely to come to anything. The Don likes to do his deals in private!

Big weird if they get big money for Ba. He's been excellent, but I never understand why clubs are content with half season form. If you're paying a fortune, don't you want a striker who can do it all season, or for a few seasons? Same with Carroll, good for 15 games or so, massive transfer fee. If they'd waited til summer, I bet they'd have reassessed it as his form just wouldn't have continued. More extreme example of Michael Ricketts, but he was great for 15 games too.

With someone like Ba, I'd say he'd playing beyond his level. He's still very good, but he's not going to carry on and score 30+. So he'll drop back to his normal level at some point. Still impressive if he score 20+ of course, I just don't know why it's always judged on half seasons. Makes sense for the seller though, if someone wants to pay big for a player with a bad injury record and a half season's form, go for it.

Did pretty well in a **** poor West Ham team in the first half of 2011...

Ba is the real deal. The only reason he won't leave Newcastle any time soon is because his form and record would command a fee north of £20m but no one will take a punt on him for that sort of money with his dodgy knee.

This is right. He was going to sign for Stoke before he went to the Hammers but they refused to pay because of the knee issue. WHU then took a punt on him as they were desperate to stay up. I think (IIRC) that he signed for Newcastle on a free as he was on huge wages at West Ham.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was in Southampton today...Lallana saying on Twitter it was nice to see him....potential loan until the end of the season? He doesn't make the Arsenal matchday squad at the moment. Stranger things have happened.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was in Southampton today...Lallana saying on Twitter it was nice to see him....potential loan until the end of the season? He doesn't make the Arsenal matchday squad at the moment. Stranger things have happened.

He'll probably get a run in the Arsenal side soon because Arsenal will lose a few players for the Africa cup of nations.

I'd love to see Saints make a strong bid to get Onuoha ... every time I've seen him play he's been excellent ... don't know why Mancini doesn't rate him, but I do ... getting him would be a real coup, a real statement of intent!

I know that clubs like Wolves & Bolton & QPR are reported to be after him, but I'd think Saints could make a pitch. Those clubs are Prem League bottom feeders after all: is it better to play 5 months in the Prem & get relegated or 5 months in the Championship & get promoted? Is it better to join a club on the way down or one on the way up?

People will say his wages are too high, but if saints are going to be truly ambitious, we're going to have to pay serious wages for serious players. And Onuoha would make our defence much much better, imo.

In terms of transfers incoming, Adkins latest interview is very positive.

Spoke about Lee, which included pictures of him training in saints kit etc - so that's pretty much done bar the shouting. He also said that Lee was shown to the players last year, after he scored in the Asian cup final...so he's obviously one we've been after for a while. Also was asked if there will be any more movement....and he said yep, we want more players in here sooner rather than later and the chairman is working hard behind the scenes to do that.

He said we won't have anyone in for Saturday, but the target is to have new faces in before the Forest game...and then the Leicester game. Sounds like we're tracking quite a few players.

When asked about the FA Cup he seemed pretty adamant that all focus is on the league, and improving the squad to make sure we make the best of our position and get promoted to the premier league. That's now the target and goal for this season without a doubt.

No 17th placed finish Dalek.

Kris Wood's loan finishes at Brum today. Someone on twitter reporting that he will probably go to another NPC club on loan. Definitely worth a loan for the rest of the season IMO.

Yes please, would be a quality signing, even if on loan. My Brum supporting mate who goes to Saints games with me reckons he's one of the best strikers in England outside the PL, good stand-in for Rickie as well (although he's too good to just be a back-up!).

You still think bart will leave on loan - before the 10th ?

With Adkins saying we will have some guys in after the Coventry game then I expect it will be delayed.

Of course we need another keeper in but I've not spoken to the girl since last week. (never heard gossip from her before so we shall see.

Yes please, would be a quality signing, even if on loan. My Brum supporting mate who goes to Saints games with me reckons he's one of the best strikers in England outside the PL, good stand-in for Rickie as well (although he's too good to just be a back-up!).
my brum season ticket holder mate thinks he's very, very average. Not sure how he can be one of the best outside the Prem when he's only third choice at Brum FFS.

From Twitter:

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

For those asking if #SaintsFC are one of the three clubs interested in Andrew Johnson, I honestly do not know. Would be a decent signing

He's a Saints supporting Journalist based in london. seems to do a lot of coverage of Fulham

From Twitter:

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

For those asking if #SaintsFC are one of the three clubs interested in Andrew Johnson, I honestly do not know. Would be a decent signing

He's a Saints supporting Journalist based in london. seems to do a lot of coverage of Fulham

I think Johnson is on 40k a week or some such at Fulham, a championship club would have to be mental to sign him. Besides, he's the sort of player who will attract the attentions of lower PL sides, probably end up at QPR or Blackburn or something.

I think Johnson is on 40k a week or some such at Fulham, a championship club would have to be mental to sign him. Besides, he's the sort of player who will attract the attentions of lower PL sides, probably end up at QPR or Blackburn or something.

Neither of whom will probably be in the PL beyond the end of this season, still parachute payments should pay for the likes of Johnson for a couple of weeks.This is a fault of so many premier league clubs,the time to strengthen is in the summer when you've got a clean slate not on the 31st January when you're in the crapper.

From Twitter:

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Also:

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Led to believe #SaintsFC do not harbour any serious interest in #DRFC striker Billy Sharp, who has been offered £28k per week by #LCFC.

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

I also understand Jason Puncheon will be sitting down with the powers that be at #SaintsFC once the FA Cup tie with Coventry is out the way.

Nearly £30,000 a week for Billy Sharp? **** me, Leicester can have him!

If that's true, please let that be the end of any speculation linking us with him. The guy is just not worth it.

In fact I would doubt that any player gets a base salary exceeding 20K/week at SFC.

With bonuses (when we win) they might make a good screw but if we lose to Brizzle or Donny the old pay packet is slender.

Anyway what happened to 20K a week and I'm yours that we read about Sharp a few days back...inflation??

In fact I would doubt that any player gets a base salary exceeding 20K/week at SFC.

With bonuses (when we win) they might make a good screw but if we lose to Brizzle or Donny the old pay packet is slender.

Anyway what happened to 20K a week and I'm yours that we read about Sharp a few days back...inflation??

On top of that, it's obvious they've just not learnt at Leicester. I can't see them being anywhere but the Championship next season.

Interesting though. I wonder what our wage structure is really like? And what a Championship club has to pay these days?

Blackpool famously had their 10k per week limit and look how theat panned out...

If we're serious about promotion and then serious about the Champion's League (quoted from someone quoting Liebherr/Cortese), at some point we have to start paying what is considered real football wages.

(Yes, I know 20k a week seems like a lot of money but it's not really in the world of football is it? - that's a question not rhetorical...)

On top of that, it's obvious they've just not learnt at Leicester. I can't see them being anywhere but the Championship next season.

Ah,I don't know, they're 4 points off the play-offs and results are getting a bit better, don't think they'll be automatic contenders but they might have a squad to steamroller the play-offs by then.Which is why staying out of the play-offs is primordial for us.

I think some of you are underestimating the Saints wage bill.

I'm led to understand Fox is on circa £20k p/w. Players like Lambert, Fonte, Cork, Lallana all on recent contracts with all be on more than that probably upto £25k p/w.

The Japanese press have reported Tadanari Lee is going to be on £15k rising to £23k p/w if promoted.

Edited by Matthew Le God

@SimonPeach

Simon Peach

Sharp willing to accept £20k per week & £30k upon promotion should #SaintsFC decide to make a bid. #LCFC in driving seat, though.

Have we not said that we're just not interested?? I thought I heard that on Solent, you don't refuse Saints and get another bite of the Cherry with NC I'll be bound. Anyway we've got Tadanari San.

Ah,I don't know, they're 4 points off the play-offs and results are getting a bit better, don't think they'll be automatic contenders but they might have a squad to steamroller the play-offs by then.Which is why staying out of the play-offs is primordial for us.

Agreed, there's half a season to go yet - claims Leicester are out of it are a bit premature! All depends whether Pearson can bring together a group of talented footballers and make them a team. Would you back against him?

I think some of you are underestimating the Saints wage bill.

I'm led to understand Fox is on circa £20k p/w. Players like Lambert, Fonte, Cork, Lallana all on recent new deals with all be on more than that, upto £25k p/w.

The Japanese press is reporting Tadanari Lee is going to be on £15k rising to £23k p/w if promoted.

Wouldn't surprise me. If you think about it, even an average Premiership Player is now on 50K per week.

I would find it hard to justify offering Sharp near £30k. Maybe his demands were the reason we didn't sign him after all.

Look at it this way, Lambert is near 30, when wages go up and transfer fees go down.

Sharp is mid 20s exactly, so to want more than a player near 30 with less chance of getting into our starting XI, which I think would be the case, is a bit silly. I'm not even totally convinced by the guy - Sheffield United paid £2 million for him and his goalscoring form went missing. The fact that he stands out at Doncaster isn't that much of an achievement when their team isn't that much cop.

Edited by Crazy Diamond

not so much, just under a year ago the average at Man U was about 51K/wk,Arsenal a bit over 50K and Liverpool at 48K.

Plenty of players still under 20K/wk basic in the PL,

Sorry wrong use of the word average - what I meant was a very average player can end up on £50k per week!! So if you're a player like Lallana, Sharp, Lambert and have a desirability factor just being in the Championship doesn't mean you can't command a high wage. Does that make sense??