The official unofficial January transfer targets thread..

SB

Heard tonight that we had talks with Sharp before Xmas and he made it very clear to the club he wanted to join us if we paid him 20k.

Saints have since told him they will not pay him that much.

Apparently the same thing has happened to Maynard which is why we last week said that they are not interested in these two.

I'm guessing that the club speak to agents first to see what they want in wages before they approach the club with a bid, thought this was tapping up?

Also this might suggest that we have a big interest in Hooper & that he would be willing to join us, that deal could depend on what Celtic will take as a transfer fee?

Edited by Pilchards

Not sure if anyone else shares my opinion on this, but I really rate Emile Sinclair from Peterborough. Scored Boro's consolation goal this season at SMS with a good run and finish. He's very quick, tall, good with the ball and would be a good option to have in the team I think. Whether Boro would sell him or not is another thing, really we should have nipped in for him when he was at Macclesfield as we would probably be forced to pay over the odds for him now.

I am not in the know, or do I have a source at the club, but I was at an hotel for a conference yesterday where I'm 99.99% Sure was Carlos vela of arsenal, might have nothing to do with us I am just hoping, could also be that he was on a leisure Break?! Just thought it was weird to see a arsenal player in a Hampshire hotel!

I am not in the know, or do I have a source at the club, but I was at an hotel for a conference yesterday where I'm 99.99% Sure was Carlos vela of arsenal, might have nothing to do with us I am just hoping, could also be that he was on a leisure Break?! Just thought it was weird to see a arsenal player in a Hampshire hotel!

It depends what hotel you are talking about?

Not sure if anyone else shares my opinion on this, but I really rate Emile Sinclair from Peterborough. Scored Boro's consolation goal this season at SMS with a good run and finish. He's very quick, tall, good with the ball and would be a good option to have in the team I think. Whether Boro would sell him or not is another thing, really we should have nipped in for him when he was at Macclesfield as we would probably be forced to pay over the odds for him now.

A good shout, but hasn't he already played for 2 teams this season?

Vela is playing with Real Sociedad in Spain on loan for the season so I can't really see why he'd be hanging about a Southampton hotel in mid-January.

Vela is playing with Real Sociedad in Spain on loan for the season so I can't really see why he'd be hanging about a Southampton hotel in mid-January.

Puncheon was on loan with MK Dons when we signed him.

Not that I think we could get Vela to drop down to Championship when he is playing in La Liga

Puncheon was on loan with MK Dons when we signed him.

Not that I think we could get Vela to drop down to Championship when he is playing in La Liga

The point here being that Vela played for Sociedad at Mallorca yesterday in the Spanish League Cup( they lost 6-1) so he couldn't possibly have been in a Southampton hotel.

wow have to say i am getting seriously worried by the lack of activity...now i know its not for the want of trying but at what point do we have to say that Cortese is not getting these deals done??

Lee should be a decent signing but im not convincd of his impat this season due to integration etc...Saints look to be dragging there heels yet again in the market when we are in desperate need of revitalisation...

Norwich last year were very quick to do deals...they got them in early and did so again in the jan window...yet here we are 3 days from the forest game with no one on the bus.

With our away form, current form and everything else considered, we are looking at another loss or maybe a draw...i just think the longer we wait, the season will be flushed down the toilet.

Anyone who watches saints can see what we need, we have done our part 30k attendences regularly etc...its time Nicola pulled out the stops and got some deals done...

yes its tough, but waiting until the 11th hour will be too late

wow have to say i am getting seriously worried by the lack of activity...now i know its not for the want of trying but at what point do we have to say that Cortese is not getting these deals done??

Lee should be a decent signing but im not convincd of his impat this season due to integration etc...Saints look to be dragging there heels yet again in the market when we are in desperate need of revitalisation...

Norwich last year were very quick to do deals...they got them in early and did so again in the jan window...yet here we are 3 days from the forest game with no one on the bus.

With our away form, current form and everything else considered, we are looking at another loss or maybe a draw...i just think the longer we wait, the season will be flushed down the toilet.

Anyone who watches saints can see what we need, we have done our part 30k attendences regularly etc...its time Nicola pulled out the stops and got some deals done...

yes its tough, but waiting until the 11th hour will be too late

There has been hardly any activity from any of our rivals so far, just because we aren't saying we have 400 players on our shortlist like West Ham doesn't mean we aren't in the process of getting deals done.

Norwich really didn't sign that many players last Jan, that is a myth.

Appy it's not a myth...they signed Simeon Jackson who helped transform their season...they also signed Surman, Elliot Ward, Zak Whitbread and Marc Tierney if memory serves me...besides it's got nothing to do with our rivals and what they are doing...

we have a small squad in tems of quality and we have run out of steam...every game is vital and another 2/3 games without a win and we are out the top 4, let alone top 2..

Understand the gravity of the situation...this window shapes whether we get promoted or not...no question

Appy it's not a myth...they signed Simeon Jackson who helped transform their season...they also signed Surman, Elliot Ward, Zak Whitbread and Marc Tierney if memory serves me...besides it's got nothing to do with our rivals and what they are doing...

we have a small squad in tems of quality and we have run out of steam...every game is vital and another 2/3 games without a win and we are out the top 4, let alone top 2..

Understand the gravity of the situation...this window shapes whether we get promoted or not...no question

Not in Jan they didn't, they signed Wilbraham and Tierney, thats it.

my knowledge of carlos vela can not be correct as it cant of been him as he played last night in spain, sorry guys i think its all the jan transfer madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree that we really need a few signings sooner rather than later...ideally before this weekend to replace Rickie's absence or give us another option.

Absolutely. Was kind of hoping something would be done early this week to at least allow a small period of integration before the Forest game. Still, in NA we trust; not got much wrong so far, has he?!

Absolutely. Was kind of hoping something would be done early this week to at least allow a small period of integration before the Forest game. Still' date=' in NA we trust; not got much wrong so far, has he?![/quote']

i think realistically the January transfer window tends to have moves happening in the last week where the selling team holds on to get the best price, I doubt we’ll even have in a new player for Leicester game so will feel the full loss of having Lambert out – not too bothered about the cup game as we’ll probably rest players anyway but would be great to have a morale boosting couple of signings in for the Cardiff game which is also on deadline day!!!

Absolutely. Was kind of hoping something would be done early this week to at least allow a small period of integration before the Forest game. Still' date=' in NA we trust; not got much wrong so far, has he?![/quote']

Quite - he said things tend to happen at the end, and we're not at the end.

Would I like to see some signings already in? Of course, but if we're made to wait until the last few hours to bring in real quality, that's fine by me.

Isn't tomorrow supposed to be work permit day? Perhaps it's only work permit panel hearing day though.

That's what I gather, though didn't enquire into the ins and outs. What he made clear is that he didn't have a cat in hell's chance of being ready for Forest (and that was early last week).

Which is what I have been saying for days and got lambasted by the usual suspects.

I think you're quite right. Consider your comments approved by at least one other person.

It's not really about when the J league season finished either - De Ridder had a pre-season as normal but still ended up taking a while.

2 signed??? who ???

Don't tell me Jos as he wa signed months ago...

Some of you lot need a reality check....frankly we have over-achieved with the players we have...we have a cracking starting eleven but not much after that...our bench against Brighton was a disgrace and had no one who could change a game...

Simply put...we will not go up if we don't add 3-4 quality additions in this window...anyone who says otherwise doesn't have a clue about football, the championship or the strenght of the saints squad

2 signed??? who ???

Some of you lot need a reality check....frankly we have over-achieved with the players we have...we have a cracking starting eleven but not much after that...our bench against Brighton was a disgrace and had no one who could change a game...

Simply put...we will not go up if we don't add 3-4 quality additions in this window...anyone who says otherwise doesn't have a clue about football, the championship or the strenght of the saints squad

Crikey, I reckon you're the only one who has noticed.

2 signed??? who ???

We signed Jos, lee and NA has said he's working on 2 or 3 more so why are you *****ing?

2 signed??? who ???

Why can't you include Jos Hooiveld? Had he not signed permanently, he would have left at the turn of the year when his loan expired.

Tadanari Lee is extremely close to signing now the work permit situation has been resolved and Adkins has stated they are looking for a number of other players. Neil Lennon confirmed enquires for Gary Hooper and Kris Commons so they are actively searching for players.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Well look at QPR the manager only signed Tuesday and they expect to have two players in the team by the weekend ! Whats wrong with us dont we want promotion NC & NA must go now !!

Oh hang on QPR are desperate aren't they and we're biding our time to get quality players to enhance the squad who has so far only managed to get us to the top since September wasn't it ? I think we need to stay patient and have faith in the management.

I imagine when Lee does sign he'll spend a fair bit of time getting fit - De Ridder did the same. He apparently wasn't 'ready' for a good long time.

He'll be involved against Leicester. Almost certain the club won't miss out on an opportunity to show off the new Asian signing on TV in a game against another team with an Asian player and Asian owners and fan base.

2 signed??? who ???

How is it so easy to buy players like that?

Almost every club is holding on to the star players in the hope they get better offers as clubs become more desperate.

We are playing the same game with Puncheon.

IMHO Saints have put in bids for some good players but are just waiting for them to get replacements or the other club gives in to us in the end.

Edited by Pilchards

Hooiveld cannot be included as a new signing as he has been in the team since September.

I am sure NA and NC are working hard behind the scenes because they KNOW what we have at present is probably not going to sustain an automatic promotion slot. I think they may have to push the boat out more than they want and there's the rub. Will NC be prepared to do that.

Hooiveld cannot be included as a new signing as he has been in the team since September.

I am sure NA and NC are working hard behind the scenes because they KNOW what we have at present is probably not going to sustain an automatic promotion slot. I think they may have to push the boat out more than they want and there's the rub. Will NC be prepared to do that.

Imo, he should be included. His loan would of finished by now, and he would be back at Celtic. So he is in fact a new player, how is he not? if not signed, he wouldn't be here, simple!