The official unofficial January transfer targets thread..

SB

The last four or so games have shown that the squad has a few holes in it, from being an arm chair supporter and watching a few games it's clear to me that RW and another striker would be positions that need strengthening, yes Lambert is quality but if injured I feel we’d be screwed, also De Ridder being one of the only right wide players in the team then this to is a weakness.

From my fantastic knowledge of the game and again arm chair view of championship matches with additional FIFA 12 player ratings I feel Snodgrass would be number one target for RW quick skilful on the ball and a good work ethic, upfront I’d go back for ‘ROD’ or tempt Sam vokes

Any other ideas?

( And a knee jerk reaction, maybe another on loan number 2 keeper..)

If Jaidi and Seaborne are not going to return before the end of the season then we need to think about a centre back. An emergency loan might be an option, but why not look to next season now and get what is out there. The best in the Championship for me is Curtis Davies.

Up front goes without saying. I think Adkins will return for Billy Sharp. The question is why did he not sign last time round.

I've seen Matt Philips twice for Blackpool against us, and both times he has been their stand out player. He would solve our right side `issue'. No reason for Blackpool to sell.

Edited by Chez

a striker with some pace to play off the shoulder and pace wide right are what i think we need particularly away. whilst i like billy sharp im not sure he is the right man up front.

as for wide right i was really impressed with phillips again yesterday. decent touch, great engine/work rate but importantly he has pace and is very direct.

how long is Chaplow out, because right now we only (Dickson is clearly not in Adkins' plans) have Holmes as cover for left midfield and he is not good enough in my opinion. With Lallana struggling that is another position we could look at.

Hey, in the end if someone of good quality is available at the right price then lets bring him in. That said I don't want us paying over the top `gambling' on promotion no matter how good it looks right now.

I wonder if we will find someone that can afford Dickson.

I wonder if we will find someone that can afford Dickson.

We could always sell or even give him back to Brentford, the 150/175K or so that he cost us can easily be written off, we're paying that much for youth players at the moment.Whether we pay him not to play or pay him to leave is about the same thing.

If we sign Antonio i will cry.

Sordell/Maynard and Jutkiewitz would be ideal. Maybe try for Adomah on a wing as well

Can't see us going for a CB. Depending on when Davis is back, doubt we will sign a keeper in Jan either

Why would we sign Antonio,we'll have learnt our lesson from signing Forte surely.

Mind you if Reading don't want that Church lad ...well we should.Just what we need.

Oh my God, why do people think Jut is the answer. The only question he answers is 'Who is a distinctly average striker, who also happens to be a Saints fan.

We should buy players that could make the step up to the Prem, not very average Championship players. The only striker from the Championship we should be looking at is Maynard, and *maybe* Rodriguez.

I really am getting frustrated with people on this site who blatantly have no ****ing idea what they are talking about ability wise.

Oh my God, why do people think Jut is the answer. The only question he answers is 'Who is a distinctly average striker, who also happens to be a Saints fan.

We should buy players that could make the step up to the Prem, not very average Championship players. The only striker from the Championship we should be looking at is Maynard, and *maybe* Rodriguez.

I really am getting frustrated with people on this site who blatantly have no ****ing idea what they are talking about ability wise.[/QUOT

How great it must be being you having the insight to be the only person on this forum to be able to recognise a players talent. This is a forum for the opinions of all fans if you find other opinions frustrating its tough luck.

The needs have not really changed from the summer, a striker and a CB. They were our targets then which did not come off, and we still need to strengthen in these 2 areas. Jos is very good, but did not address the initial problem because Seaborne was badly injured. Despite having 5 CBs on our books we really only have 3 to select from, which is not enough. For strikers we do need something else despite again having probably 5 strikers on the books (including Guly & SDR). If I were NA I might be looking for another wide midfield, but I don't think this is priority. On yesterdays performance we should also be looking for a new keeper, but frankly we all know Bart is better than that, I am convinced that some Skate bastards kidnapped Bart and replaced him with a look-alike yesterday who had never played in goal before. Unless Kelvin is out long term which I understand is not the case, then we should recall Dovey and stick with what we have.

Whittinhgam from Cardiff please.... Everytime I see this lad I start to think how much Ricky would benefit from his crosses, plus he scores regularly. Obviously I dont think Cardiff would let him go, but maybe we could flex a bit of financial muscle if we can? Could also make the step up to the prem if we do go up!

Whittinhgam from Cardiff please.... Everytime I see this lad I start to think how much Ricky would benefit from his crosses, plus he scores regularly. Obviously I dont think Cardiff would let him go, but maybe we could flex a bit of financial muscle if we can? Could also make the step up to the prem if we do go up!

Who would you drop from our midfield to accommodate him? I don't think he's the sort of player we need personally. He's more of a central player than a wide man these days.

Who would you drop from our midfield to accommodate him? I don't think he's the sort of player we need personally. He's more of a central player than a wide man these days.

I take your point, but I think he would add competition, but at home i think He could play the role Morgan played yday on the left, and drop hammond or Cork, with Morgan in the middle, although thats my opinion and I know many would drop Morgan first out the three, but to me he would be firts choice. Whitthingham could also play as one of the middle two of the diamond, or even allow Lallana a rest or to go in behind Lambert away from home with one up top. I think he is a versatile player with an eye for goal, good assists and deadly from set pieces, direct and indirect.

I would also like another striker, a pacey poacher or a young deputy to Lambert plus a quick impact winger to do a similar job M.Phillips did for Blackpool yday away from home. Also a CB if Jaidi or Seabourne arnt near fitness. Hopfully Kelvin can remain fit, although I think Bart will do a better job next time hes called upon, just hope its not Sunday.

If Jaidi and Seaborne are not going to return before the end of the season then we need to think about a centre back. An emergency loan might be an option, but why not look to next season now and get what is out there. The best in the Championship for me is Curtis Davies.

Up front goes without saying. I think Adkins will return for Billy Sharp. The question is why did he not sign last time round.

I think ..a combination of the fact he was a local lad,(well Yorksire anyway) and didn't want to move his pregnant wife (with the baby that they eventually lost).

I've seen Matt Philips twice for Blackpool against us, and both times he has been their stand out player. He would solve our right side `issue'.

No reason for Blackpool to sell.[/QUOTE]

IF Blackpool are strapped for cash ..they might ..if we offer Puncheon in the deal ...?¨

Can you show where that was said? Because I read your tedious threads and that was never the point people relentlessly tried to drum into your head.

I give up. It's like trying to educate a slug.

Enjoy 17th and all that.

I doubt whether you have had the time to read all my posts. t's the same over the Glenn Hoddle argument, people don't like what I say and therefore will never admit to the fact that I am often in correct.

Jutkiewitz, Adomah, Alex Smithees and A.N. Other centre back please.

I'd go along with that Colin.

I wouldn't want to put up names, as I haven't seen many of them play, but for me it would be TWO strikers . We're too dependant on RL ...and neither Connolly of Barnard seem to be properly fit yet.

Another CH - Certainly. Jaidi will retire and Seaborne seems to be a long way from returning..and he hardly looked like Prem.quality from the start.

However, not to be too critical... but Bart's bloomer on Saturday confirms that neither he or KD really look to be Prem.quality either, and thats a problem.

IF... we are (seriously) considering promotion - please note that many Prem.sides have at least TWO international keepers !

Edited by david in sweden

every team would like better players.

there is a strong case to say we need them less than every single other club in this league as we are top.

all three promoted clubs, who were at the top of the league and therefore were similarly placed to ourselves, strengthened in some way during January.

If the right player is there, at the right price and we keep within our budget, then it is a no brainer. It's the gambling on promotion we should never do ever again, ever.

Jaidi is retiring at the end of the season and Seaborne is pretty much out of the picture for the time being, which leaves us with 3 senior centre-backs on our books. We need a centre-back who's going to be pushing Jose and Jos for a starting berth but with a bit of pace about them - that's something we seem to lack at the back. Miles Addison would be my choice, currently on loan at Barnsley and is doing pretty well by all accounts. Plays for Derby but doesn't seem to be favoured by Clough, so they'll probably let him go without too much of a fuss.

I think Adomah would be a fantastic signing as well, he's got the energy and pace we need on the wing - a combination of Chaplow's workrate and De Ridder's skill and pace. Wouldn't come cheap, but worth the investment I feel.

Striker is a tricky one, as I pointed out on another thread Connolly is out of contract at the end of the season and Barnard's injury problems could spell the end for him here unfortunately. That leaves us with Lambert and Guly as our only senior strikers, and one of them isn't even really a striker. Bringing in 1 or 2 strikers would be a good move, although it could cause a problem with the wage bill because DC and LB would still be on the books even if they will probably be moving on at the end of the season - nobody will want either of them in January when one of them is free in 6 months and the other is crocked atm.

Somebody posted about Craig Gordon coming back to full fitness and looking for a loan, he would be a fantastic signing. He's been out of favour in the past while because of injury problems, but with MON in charge now it remains to be seen whether he will have a future up there or not. If he's going to be on the move then we should almost certainly bid for him in Jan - quality GK.

two strikers, 1 speedy to start(maynard) and 1 back up to lambert(Jutkiewitz as hes will be much cheeper than j-rod)

right midfield/winger, im really of the belief that snodgrass would be perfect although phillips was a real danger on sat.

centre back, ???

and then it depends on you view on the goalkeeping side, ive never been that big a kelvin fan and have been a big advicate of barts but his 'bottle' for the game was really exposed on the weekend and im not sure he will ever recover mentally while with us

all imho

There's a difference between who we would like and who we could actually get.

No Championship side with any playoff ambitions are going to sell us one of their best players, so that probably rules out Snodgrass.

Sharp may be a better proposition. Do Doncaster need the cash?

I think a 3m bid for Gary Hooper at Celtic would be worth a shot, I think he would work really well with Ricky and even

play as target man as well.

Adkins knows about him I am sure from Scunny days.

He would be a brilliant signing, but we wouldn't get near him for £3m. I suspect Celtic would want £5-7m before they would even consider selling, maybe even more than that.

I really am getting frustrated with people on this site who blatantly have no ****ing idea what they are talking about ability wise.

Why get frustrated this is a forum for all fans to express their ideas no matter how in depth the analysis or the logic that helped them to arrived at them it is of course Nigel Adkins and the board rather than any of us on here who will make the ultimate decisons to be acted on. The fact is you are never going to agree with all of the people all of the time so learn to accept it, and put forward constructive arguments to support your views rather than criticise others for theirs.