New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

SORRY NICOLA, BUT YOU'VE JUST HAD YOUR 'RUPERT LOWE' MOMENT...

I love what he's done so far for us, but this is a serious error of judgement.

I'm only 37, but this is the worst ever Saints shirt released. Yes, I know that might seem over dramatic to some, but honestly, it's SH1T.

Yes, and I remember the Centenary Shirt of 85 was red...but that was for a reason. As was the Sash - for a reason.

SORRY NICOLA' date=' BUT YOU'VE JUST HAD YOUR 'RUPERT LOWE' MOMENT...[/color']

I love what he's done so far for us, but this is a serious error of judgement.

I'm only 37, but this is the worst ever Saints shirt released. Yes, I know that might seem over dramatic to some, but honestly, it's SH1T.

Yes, and I remember the Centenary Shirt of 85 was red...but that was for a reason. As was the Sash - for a reason.

Jesus. A bit over the top mate. And that's coming from me!

Oh yeah. My memory isn't what it was Lol. I didn't buy the socks and shorts though. That is ghey (though I do have some all white socks with red stripes at the top, what kit was that from?)

The shorts and socks were both replaced by red ones by the end of the season, weirdly. Part of the creeping administration, no doubt.

The problem is that the majority of people on this forum are the 'older generation' and the 'older generation' definitely don't like change.

I bought the wrong cerial for my nan once and she started crying.

That's basically what the 'older generation' of Saints fans on this forum have done, they're so used to seeing 'saints play in Red and White!!!' that they forget the years when we had blue shorts, wore quarters, had a full red shirt with tiny white shoulder patches (1985-87).

I always think it's great when a football club just goes 'F**K it' and make a kit that will be remembered.

Oh yeah. My memory isn't what it was Lol. I didn't buy the socks and shorts though. That is ghey (though I do have some all white socks with red stripes at the top, what kit was that from?)

All white with red stripes at the top was probably the 2001/2 first season at St Mary's (and FA Cup semi final), black trim either side of the red vertical stripes ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1RXJWgiDrgn776FiHqDIRecwHQND3T2nc88BcJzLkV5qYQbdM

The problem is that the majority of people on this forum are the 'older generation' and the 'older generation' definitely don't like change.

That's basically what the 'older generation' of Saints fans on this forum have done, they're so used to seeing 'saints play in Red and White!!!' that they forget the years when we had blue shorts, wore quarters, had a full red shirt with tiny white shoulder patches (1985-87).

I always think it's great when a football club just goes 'F**K it' and make a kit that will be remembered.

:D

brilliant post

and a red and white shirt is not generic either.....its hardly "new"

No, but it's the famous red and white stripes of Southampton.

At least the kits of the 80's, though a bit different, still had the red and white with black which you associate with SFC.

For me this is the worst Saints 1st team kit I have seen in my lifetime. Even the 'Pyjama' kit was better and that was based on the Danish kit from the previous world cup iirc so at least was current where as when I look at this kit I see Graham Souness in his Liverpool prime. I remember the front cover of the Ugly Inside after we ditched the pyjama kit stating 'Back to stripes, back to reality' (based on the soul2soul song) as that was as equally badly received.

The argument of the sash kit not being stripes doesn't wash with me either as that was an anniversary kit so was ment to make a statement reflecting our past. I don't know what this kit is saying? Perhaps it's NC way of saying I'm in charge and the past is the past and this is now but after seven years away from the football world's attention I feel we should have stayed with our traditional stripes as that is the way we are viewed the world over. Can you imagine Real Madrid for instance changing anything, there's not a lot you can do with a complete white kit but that is how we all think of them and that's what they have stuck with, or Barca, AC or Inter Milan, people the world over think of us as red/white stripes, that is our global brand, not this re-hashed Liverpool/Middlesboro' effort and yes I also like the away kit but then away kits are different for a reason, what's the reason for changing to a red first team kit is what I'd like to know?

The shirts ok, and I stress ok, but red shorts & socks WTF. Needs to be black shorts and white socks for me.

Come to think of it, the logical thing for them to do now is launch an all-black 3rd kit. We do have two bolted-on clashes :

Sunderland (home kit not yet released but it's adidas so it will look like a striped version of this) :

Sunderland-Invest-in-Africa-Strip-2012.jpg

and Stoke :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeVUSZupYNUjvnns0ObwgY5jkZRhSsyuXJBDljMOAl_lsYxsEX

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9eAZnCrdKOMSpiH_IDR5uq0Pv9snoZLMoER5GMHJgh706Q956

There's no possible way we can wear the white kit at Stoke (white shorts and socks), and wearing a red OR a white shirt with red shorts or socks will just look more like Stoke. So definite 3rd kit potential.

Will also be interesting to see if they can wear that blue/red striped away kit when we're in red at home too.

I'm one of the older generation and I think its classy and great and I think its just we in briton don't Like change of anysort and rather look to our past rather than the future apart from the 1960s maybe.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I can see it now, if we go down or perform badly next season : 'that was the sh1t kit, that was'

The red sleeve backlash began in this thread with the kit unveil date on the OS... I've already pointed out all the seasons we didn't get relegated in red sleeves.

Comment from a Forest supporting mate.

"Since when did you lot think you were us?"

Says it all.

Says he doesn't know what colour their shorts are !

At least we don't have those hideous barber's pole socks, I actually really like the socks we've got.

It's only a bloody kit, FFS, and I didn't see many people suggesting that the sash disregarded our history. And likewise with the Rank Xerox kit back in the 80s. And the many other kits in our recent history which haven't been red and white stripes. Thankfully the football will start relatively soon and you moaners will have something important to moan about.

Erm, that's because the sash kit was ALL about (our) history & tradition...

The other bleeding obvious point is that both the sash & RX kits were aesthetically pleasing. This is a generic, banal and rather unpleasing piece of footy fashion!

Don't be silly DD; ask any football fan around the country what kit Saints normally play in and you'll be hard pushed to find someone who doesn't know the right answer.

indeed...however, lets not pretend people immediately, all over the country think of saints when they see the back, or from a far a red and white striped kit

at last, here in plymouth I will be able to wear our home top (other than 2 years ago) without janners initially wanted to smash my face in for being an Exeter fan

when we had our "famous red and white stripes" with flybe....I could not wear it as it was 99% identical to the exeter home top...even the fuking sponsor...

Week1 "Ugh I hate it, I'm not buying that. It's not the usual kit"

Week 2 " Maybe it's not so awful, still not buying it though"

Week 3 "It's sort of growing on me"

Week 4 "May think about buying one as I've got all the rest"

Week 5 "Better get one before the season starts"

Week 6 "Noooo -They've only sold out of my size, I'm desperate to get one before the season starts"

Week 7 "Yesss!! Got my shirt. Looks great. Love it"

I'm 58, and I love it!

I'd imagine the demographic of this forum is representative of the Saints fan base - ie the bell-curve you would expect. The thoughts of those on here are shown in the poll at the top.

Now go get your nan some Alpine, sorry, Alpen...

when we had flyby our home kit was more "generic" than this...it actually was identical to exeter's

Absolutely not true. Both were striped and had black down the sleeves but they weren't even the same manufacturer or style.

They don't even have the same coloured central stripe.

2006-8

exeter_city_2006-2007-c.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbID7NWLE-FndfLnD9qB1Rk9PeaJStuJcAxBg1j_AZZP8f3OrLJg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsoQzWUCPytbVK3KSOWe43xMoyJo57FPZ7Dnh0AEhIrDXEX6iNZg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOmyMM4kGd1RhYD4EIbI31DkxhfYcny70MEuol397YJ96Y2X9zDQ

Edited by The9

Absolutely not true. Both were striped and had black down the sleeves but they weren't even the same manufacturer or style.

well, when you are walking down the street in plymouth and they see a red and white striped top with FLYBE across the front...it looked very much like exeter

One of the funniest threads I have read in ages - hopefully it makes it into the Golden Post section.

Judging by some of the comments on here perhaps you should understand it is merely a shirt. The players won't be premiering it at a Versace fashion show in Paris, but hopefully sweating blood in it our opening game at SMS. It's a shirt.

Oh - that from one of the older posters who apparently can't hack change...!

well, when you are walking down the street in plymouth and they see a red and white striped top with FLYBE across the front...it looked very much like exeter

That's probably true, but it's neither "exactly the same" nor sufficient reason for Saints to change their colours !

Erm, that's because the sash kit was ALL about (our) history & tradition...

The other bleeding obvious point is that both the sash & RX kits were aesthetically pleasing. This is a generic, banal and rather unpleasing piece of footy fashion!

Ah, but now you're basing your opinion on 2 frankly ambiguous photos. Let me ask you a question... Would you be prepared to hold off from making a judgment until you've actually seen it?

I'm not massively crazy about it myself, but equally I'm happy to wait until I see it in the flesh and see what it looks like with eleven of our men out on the hallowed turf of St Mary's; I would hazard a guess that it will become quite a popular kit if we end the season with some very happy memories of watching us play in it.

Another thing... Many people have said that it is the same as the Liverpool Crown Paints kit. I'm an 80s kid and for me that was a classic design of the 80s.