Jack Butland

Saint Matty 76

2007-2008 old tommy made spurs bench 6 times+

Simply being on the bench a few times does not make you the "Spurs no.2" keeper as you claimed...

around when forecast was 19. he was good enough to be Spurs no.2

The lack of appearances on the bench indicates other keepers were ahead of him for the rest of the season.

Robinson, Cerny and Alnwick were all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Forecast was 4th choice, not 2nd.

Edited by Matthew Le God

what does that say about butland...not good enough to be number 3 at brum last season...?

:facepalm:

You must be right...Cortese and Adkins, as well as our improved scouting network, have rated someone who is probably even worse than Forecast at £6million.

No idea why he was picked as number 3 for England, either. Can't be because he's good enough.

You must be right...Cortese and Adkins, as well as our improved scouting network, have rated someone who is probably even worse than Forecast at £6million.

No idea why he was picked as number 3 for England, either. Can't be because he's good enough.

has this happened for sure..? not seen anything from the club...?

just saying, £6m for a kid that has been hailed the very same as many others who have been hailed and gone is a huge amount of money

I think if we are going to spend £6m, we should be doing so on players who are better than what we have now..should not be too difficult

How many of the posters saying that we'd be nuts to pay Brum six mill for Butland ALSO said that Arsenal were nuts to pay us 15 mill for AOC, and that he'd end up anchored to the bench?

Come on, fess up.

Definitely me! However I still think 6m for Butland is a lot.............I'm not saying we should not sign him for that amount, I love NC's ambition, but it is a substantial punt especially on a 19 year old goalkeeper rather than an outfield player.

NC has balls however and if this move does turn out to be true, clearly he's not going to mess around in the Premier League. Not too many of us predicted transfer fees being paid around the 6-7m level.

Definitely me! However I still think 6m for Butland is a lot.............I'm not saying we should not sign him for that amount, I love NC's ambition, but it is a substantial punt especially on a 19 year old goalkeeper rather than an outfield player.

NC has balls however and if this move does turn out to be true, clearly he's not going to mess around in the Premier League. Not too many of us predicted transfer fees being paid around the 6-7m level.

One of the biggest differences between the Premier and the next two divisions is the need to have enough money to speculate. Sub-Premier league, most clubs can't afford to make a mistake. In the Premier you have to have the balls to take expensive punts on players because the rewards of success and the penalties of failure are so much larger.

I have felt all along that Markus left a substantial (and probably finite) provision for us, but that a big chunk of it was to be kept up our sleeve for the kind of investment we'd need to make if/when we reached the PL.

It seems to me that some people are looking at this supposed quest for Butland through Championship eyes. I have enough faith in our management team - as well as others who rate the lad very highly - to feel that six million for such a young guy to fill such a key position could well turn out to be a steal. But Yes, it is an expensive punt.

That's the size of it, is the club really in a position to spend 6m on a Goalkeeper that at the moment is all potential? If we were an established PL side, with minimal chance of relegation then perhaps it wouldn't be as big of a risk.

Would be a great player to have on board for the future, but we need someone who can do the job now.

So TDD thinks that Butland may not be much better than forecast, a player the club already has but don't play, ever. Lol

not at all....where have I said that.

just saying that so many young keepers are hyped up...so many young players are hyped up

I remember pompey paying £6m for a young player who actually played (and scored) for England...

he turned out just great

Have they? Have they really?

It seems Simon Peach's latest comments suggest that's the exact opposite of what they've done.

not at all....where have I said that.

just saying that so many young keepers are hyped up...so many young players are hyped up

I remember pompey paying £6m for a young player who actually played (and scored) for England...

he turned out just great

Why are you comparing Forecasts bench appearances at spurs to Butlands at Brums? What point are you trying to make? Clearly he's a better player.

Don't see what Nugent has got to do with anything either.

Interestingly, Simon Peach, who I think posts here is now saying we haven't bid for him and baulked at the asking price, which is 6m. Thinks Brum may be leaking the story to appease fans and drive the price up.

I think considering Tony Husband mentioned similar, I think your theory is spot on....

Also from Simon Peach...

Butland is interested in a move to #SaintsFC. While nothing in reports a bid has been made, something could yet happen this summer.

It seems Simon Peach's latest comments suggest that's the exact opposite of what they've done.

We clearly are interested though. As I'm sure lots of clubs are. The point still stands.... Butland is clearly a very highly rated player, which has been recognised nationally.

How many of the posters saying that we'd be nuts to pay Brum six mill for Butland ALSO said that Arsenal were nuts to pay us 15 mill for AOC, and that he'd end up anchored to the bench?

Come on, fess up.

Someone has already made this point on this thread. It was irrelevent that time as well.

We are not Arsenal.

Lost faith in Simon tbh, he's been way off in his last few comments about us. Notably saying we were not at all close to signing Jay Rod. He was unveiled that evening.

Makes you wonder how much money we're planning on investing in the playing squad though doesn't it ?

Being as the story seems to now be that we might have baulked at £6m, I'm not sure if it offers any more insight than we previously had.

I still think it'll be a total of £15M - £20M by the time the window shuts.

Being as the story seems to now be that we might have baulked at £6m, I'm not sure if it offers any more insight than we previously had.

I still think it'll be a total of £15M - £20M by the time the window shuts.

You don't think offering £6m for a relatively untested goalkeeper shows there's probably a LOT more money being thrown around ? Whether the players want to come and the clubs want to sell is another thing, but - assuming it's true - there are other positions where we're equally in need of strengthening and we're almost certainly looking at people for all of those too.

I'm not convinced about Butland's ability or future prospects, but that's a statement and a half that we can afford to do this, again IF it's true. Baulking at £6m just shows we're not going to go above our ceiling.

forcast has been on the spurs bench at the higher end of the premier league at the same sort of age as butland than jack himself has found himself on the bench of a NPC team

Part of a Spurs con game to convince some sucker into taking him off their hands?

You don't think offering £6m for a relatively untested goalkeeper shows there's probably a LOT more money being thrown around ? Whether the players want to come and the clubs want to sell is another thing, but - assuming it's true - there are other positions where we're equally in need of strengthening and we're almost certainly looking at people for all of those too.

I'm not convinced about Butland's ability or future prospects, but that's a statement and a half that we can afford to do this, again IF it's true. Baulking at £6m just shows we're not going to go above our ceiling.

As I said; it appears we may not have offered £6M at all, and its a leak from Brum to try and get the price high.

As I said; it appears we may not have offered £6M at all, and its a leak from Brum to try and get the price high.

Can't really fault the club for not going with it, and having seen Cortese's previous methods, that'll be that transfer dead now anyway. Even a £3-4m offer would be pretty significant.

2007-2008 old tommy made spurs bench 6 times+

2011-2012, old jacko made brum bench 3 times

as well as some games in the mighty league 2

Well get this Butland was on the bench 4 times for England at Euro 2012! Thats 100% of Englands games at the Euros

Someone has already made this point on this thread. It was irrelevent that time as well.

We are not Arsenal.

Point was relevent as it was about overspending, Which alot of people claimed about Arsenal spending on Chamberlain

We are not Arsenal.

Of course it's relevant because it's about clubs paying more for young and inexperienced players than some people think they're worth, as many on this forum thought about the AOC deal.

No, we are not Arsenal, and six million is not twelve or fifteen million, or whatever it turns out to be.

Any more nuggets of your argumentative wisdom to offer?

Edited by CanadaSaint

Of course it's relevant because it's about clubs paying more for young and inexperienced players than some people think they're worth, as many on this forum thought about the AOC deal.

No, we are not Arsenal, and six million is not twelve or fifteen million, or whatever it turns out to be.

Any more nuggets of your argumentative wisdom to offer?

Not really, apart from the fact you are overplaying the AOC reaction on this forum. I can't remember much critique of Arsenal's spending policy, just lots of stuff about AOC being better off playing lots of NPC games for us rather than signing for Arsenal, an entirely different point.

Bur make stuff up if you like.

Not really, apart from the fact you are overplaying the AOC reaction on this forum. I can't remember much critique of Arsenal's spending policy, just lots of stuff about AOC being better off playing lots of NPC games for us rather than signing for Arsenal, an entirely different point.

Bur make stuff up if you like.

But my point was about people in general not people on here

Choose to read what you like if you want.

Of course it's relevant because...

...and this is a keeper not an attacker and we've just got promoted and we're not in the CL and...oh. Lots of difference then, as you say. So not relevent.

Well done though.

...and this is a keeper not an attacker and we've just got promoted and we're not in the CL and...oh. Lots of difference then, as you say. So not relevent.

Well done though.

Gianluigi Buffon - Parma - Juventus - £32.6 million - 2001

So whats your point? keepers are cheaper?

Yep we have just got promoted and we have not bid near 15m for a player

Why does this sound so crazy?

I mean Saints (are supposed) to have bid £6 million for Butland..! OK... maybe he's another Peter Shilton ** - in which case it might sound a good deal.

But the combination of the Liebherr inheritance, and the reaction of fans who've had (what is by Prem. terms) a miserly £4 million transfer record for over 10 years, tends to make me think that we are lacking a little balance in our responses to all these transfer rumours.

If we didn't expect it before, now we are in the position that every second-rate, second level "footballing genius" we are being linked with (up around 20 on last count) suddenly means that sums like £6 million are tossed around like we were a lottery winner just buying a round in his local.

IMHO we would be very daring to suggest bidding so much for a talented yet clearly untried 'keeper and unless NA has talked the hitherto very cautious NC into making such a bid, I can't see Saints making such a deal, for such a sum.. for this particular player - even if he is a future England prospect.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but I do think that the media and the influence of agents' enthusiasm goes beyond boundaries too much nowadays.

** for younger fans who only know the name and never saw him play: Peter Shllton was a teenage reserve keeper at Leicester (then a top side) in the period after Englands 1966 WC win, and replaced England keeper Gordon Banks (he later moved to Stoke) and Shilton went on to become England's most-capped player, and continued to turn out for various sides even when he was past 50.y.o.

Only time will tell if Butland becomes another Peter Shilton ..or a Tommy Forecast.

But my point was about people in general not people on here

Choose to read what you like if you want.

If you're being so general, why cherry pick Oxlade-Chamberlain?

Lots of people in general said Sunderland overpaid for Connor Wickam. Why not use that example?

If you're being so general, why cherry pick Oxlade-Chamberlain?

Lots of people in general said Sunderland overpaid for Connor Wickam. Why not use that example?

I wonder whether it could have had anything to do with the fact that Oxlade-Chamberlain was a Southampton youngster and therefore sprung more readily to mind? Also perhaps that his transfer was more far more high profile. Has Connor Wickham played for England yet? Perhaps I missed it.

well, I would like saints to spend £6m on players who will come in and oust players in their position that we already have.....we have only just come up and need players NOW imo

....or putting it another way, players who CDAJFU when needed. SOMEONE will (eventually, but hopefully not TOO soon) even replace Ricky Lambert ..

We can still only have 11 players on the pitch at one time (unless Sepp Blatter has changed that rule), so starting on the bench is not a sign of being second choice, or not good enough for a place ...these days it's tactics and the "impact players ".

Edited by david in sweden

well, I would like saints to spend £6m on players who will come in and oust players in their position that we already have.....we have only just come up and need players NOW imo

Me too, nothing against Jack Butland who may turn out to be a quality keeper but we are a newly promoted prem team who need better players right now if we are to survive.

Being as no-one knows how Butland is going to turn out I'd go for a more established keeper. It's too crucial a position to experiment on IMO.

£6M can get you a lot of good GKs.....

Why does this sound so crazy?

I mean Saints (are supposed) to have bid £6 million for Butland..! OK... maybe he's another Peter Shilton ** - in which case it might sound a good deal.

But the combination of the Liebherr inheritance, and the reaction of fans who've had (what is by Prem. terms) a miserly £4 million transfer record for over 10 years, tends to make me think that we are lacking a little balance in our responses to all these transfer rumours.

If we didn't expect it before, now we are in the position that every second-rate, second level "footballing genius" we are being linked with (up around 20 on last count) suddenly means that sums like £6 million are tossed around like we were a lottery winner just buying a round in his local.

And our lot want all of this, but moan about ticket prices....

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?38658-memorial-cup

All in my opinion of course.

Lost faith in Simon tbh, he's been way off in his last few comments about us. Notably saying we were not at all close to signing Jay Rod. He was unveiled that evening.

Get your facts right. I never once said a deal for Rodriguez was a long way off, especially not on the day. Feel free to check my timeline.

I pride myself in getting things right and would never post anything I did not believe to be correct.

Get your facts right. I never once said a deal for Rodriguez was a long way off, especially not on the day. Feel free to check my timeline.

I pride myself in getting things right and would never post anything I did not believe to be correct.

so are there deals that are close to being finalised from what you know?