Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Good enough first half display, but Wigan came out in the 2nd half and Martinez proved how good he was as a manager. Played to our weaknesses. We were far too slow on the ball, and didn't have much creativity in the team.

Lallana was outstanding today however! Hopefully we can pull off a shock next week, but I have a feeling we will be coming from a long way behind....

2nd to everything today,sloppy passes,caught in possesion,no pace in the team,Wigan are a bottom half team,but they have made us look below average today,we should be looking to get a draw at the very least against Wigan at home.

I am always optimistic but I took no positives out of that today

Too slow, too pedestrian. Players looked lost. Crowd was flat, no passion whatsoever. Why spend money all that money on Rodriguez and then shove him out of position on the left wing where he is totally ineffectual? Why have weyet to sign a centre back when its been glaringly obvious to all but the deluded few that we need one? Boys against Men today and it's going to be a long hard season unless we can sign 5 or 6 quality players in the next week.

Hate to say it but Martinez won the tactical duel, knew exactly how to stop us doing anything and made sure our best passer in the midfield couldn't do anything.

Still early in the season, but we need more quality at the back and pace and quality out wide and we also need to wise up to the fact we aren't playing **** FL teams who kick and rush for 90 mins.

Not good at all. Never really looked a threat, always looked a man light in defense. They passed us off the park second half.

Hate to start the Guly-bashing so early but did he not lose the ball every time he had it today? Still don't see what he offers us apart from slowing down play long enough for our midfielders to get forward leaving us woefully exposed when he inevitably gets caught in possession.

Wigan were very good against Chelsea and had lots of chances. In this game we were undone by the fact we don't move the ball quick enough, we let defences get set. The only players coming out of this game with credit are Lallana, Morgan and Clyne.

Our set pieces should be much better.

We need a CB (we already knew that)

Jay Rod needs more time and Billy Sharp should start ahead of him.

I don't like to slate Guly but he looked very average today.

We need to get in behind teams, we need a winger desperately.

Defensivily we're being undone by quick passing. The second goal shouldn't have counted.

We will get better as the season goes on.

What we don't need is knee-jerk reactions, this was always going to be a banana skin. Just a game we earmarked ourselves as winning but Wigan deserved all 3 points and we need to be able to learn from the way they played.

This is what happens when you don't prepare for life in the premiership & only sign average players like, clyne, j-rod and Davies. We lack any REAL quality. A proven premiership goal scorer would be a start & 2 CB's and a midfielder with experience at this level. I'm not convinced that Lambert, J-Rod, Sharpe or Lee are good enough for the prem. if we can't beat Wigan then what hope is there for the next 4 games? Man Utd, Arsenal, Villa & Everton.

We're gonna be a laughing stock.

NOt a lot to say - poor second half after looking v comfortable in teh first, just not ebnough in final third - we can bang on all we like about formations, but we lost our way 2nd half and bit dissappointing teh heads went down a bit/sluggish etc after going 0-1 down.

We created a few chances and on anothjer some those go your way, but defensively still a little suspect and struggled to break down a well organised wigan. It may have been a more defensive side in Wigan than in City last week, but we still seemed to have lost that spark that saw us break swiftly and decisively last week - in numbers... oh well lets get to the Emirates and take the first points there.

Dissapointing, of course. We started best, and it was a quite even match which could have gone both ways. I think we looked well organized in defense, but we really struggled to break wigan down at times, which is worrying. Fonte at fault for both goals in my opinion, all tough he has to share the blame with Jos for the first goal. Hopefully we'll see some new blood coming in this week. COYR.

Lol at all those that said we would beat Wigan,they are seasoned survivors who contrary to popular belief are well organised.....us on the other hand are Ill prepared for the fight at the moment and we look very disjointed and uncomfortable.

A very stark contrast to the man city game.

We need to learn quick or we will be left behind.

Don't often agree with Birtles, but we needed to move the ball a lot quicker.

Definate foul for the 2nd, but he still took too long on the ball.

I think there will be a few new faces in this week, as today we looked a bit like Swansea without their wingers.

We did hit the post twice though, so it could all have been very different.

Nigel needs to show them a video of that Channon goal against Liverpool. One touch training all week for us.

This is what happens when you don't prepare for life in the premiership & only sign average players like, clyne, j-rod and Davies. We lack any REAL quality. A proven premiership goal scorer would be a start & 2 CB's and a midfielder with experience at this level. I'm not convinced that Lambert, J-Rod, Sharpe or Lee are good enough for the prem. if we can't beat Wigan then what hope is there for the next 4 games? Man Utd, Arsenal, Villa & Everton.

We're gonna be a laughing stock.

I hope this is a joke

That angled ball past Fonte and Jos has accounted for two goals and a penalty.

Sharp should have replaced Rodriguez fifteen minutes earlier.

Our inability to play an early ball - not a hoof - is killing us. We always - ALWAYS - have someone up our arses when we receive the ball.

Nigel looked a bit paralysed with indecision to me.

Not the best way to put the club in the shopping window is it? Imagine what Ollie @Bpool must be whispering into Ince/Phillips' ears tonight! Also IF Ramierez is on his way.. I should imagine that any advantage that NC had with bargaining will be evaporating by the second as we are creating an image of desperation.... "5 or 6 players needed"?

No need to despair :

14 Tottenham 2 -1 1

15 Reading 2 -2 1

16 Norwich 2 -5 1

17 QPR 2 -5 1

18 Southampton 2 -3 0

19 Aston Villa 2 -3 0

20 Liverpool 1 -3 0

Last year after 13 games Wigan had 6 points and yet stayed up. We need to learn fast, certainly faster than our build up play today, and not linger so long on the ball.

Agree with all the comments so far. Thought we might have been good enough for a draw. The second goal was clearly a foul by Kone before his free run on goal. And Fonte should have converted his effort. Agree that Lallana was immense. Just so worried if he gets injured.

Can anyone understand why the crowd was 29,604 when it looked like there were far more empty seats....

That game really demonstrated our lack of flair and creative players coincided with our inability to play at different speeds. Lallana played well but you cant beat a PL team on your own. Chances like the one Fonte missed at 0-2 are unforgivable at this level and we were punished for not taking our chances today.

This is a ****ing terrible result, wigan are no pushovers but we needed one point bare minimum on the board today with 2 tough games coming up.

Why totally ditch formation which has served us so well.

We could be rooted in a couple of games.

Character and lots of signings required this week or we are going to be in a very very tough position.

Only watched the stream, but we looked ponderous throughout. Decision-making was slow, so never really got anything together in the final third. Limited to a single long range effort in the first half, and scraps in the second. Thought Rodriguez looked poor in possession and pretty useless out left. Guly had a dire second half and I was amazed that he was kept on. At present that's our best 11, and I don't actually think you can really say that we played beneath ourselves or Wigan played above themselves - last week we could've been hammered, but rode our luck and got quite a lot of praise for being plucky despite losing. In retrospect, it now feels a bit patronising.

ah tits...

another 2 defeats on the cards too.......going to be hard to get going

watched the game on the web...looked good in most parts...just lacked that killer ball and a touch of pace up top.

if we don't address this, withe a CB then a long season ahead....

I'm sure we will address it though

Yes I also looked up last years table. QPR stayed up despite losing 21 games :)

Norwich (who I'd like to think we can model) lost 15 (W12 D11)

No need to despair :

Last year after 13 games Wigan had 6 points and yet stayed up. We need to learn fast, certainly faster than our build up play today, and not linger so long on the ball.

First half we were matching them, second half we played sloppy, so many missed passes, Fonte thinking he's got days on the ball being last man back. Lallana shone through as ever but fair play to Wigan, very disciplined and too witty for us at times.

Don't think it warrants a cause for panic though, the boys are still getting used to the ropes and perhaps start Punch and Guly on the flanks around Lambert, a sturdy CB wouldn't go amiss either but even if we get one in before Arsenal and Man U doubt Nige would play him as he wont settle in that quick.

Just back, What a crock of ****!

We need a player with pace (yes we have Tad but he is injured)

Fox needs to do one.

Guly was shocking - lazy! - no closing down

No closing down at all, we were on top for 20 mins but thats it... hit the bar twice

left at 87 mins said to the daughter we have no chance, bang 2 - 0

What we don't need is the bed wetters to start their hysterical posts !

We only lost by 2 goals against a Premier side that is used to taking points off relegation rivals. They did a good job on one of the League's new boys.

We may get relegated, we may not. We have had time to prepare for the new season we have made a few signings and I think the squad that we have now is more or less it. If we go down it is not the end of the world as we get the Premier parachute and can rebuild next year. FWIW, I see no point in breaking the bank or depleting our financial resources.

Enjoy the Premier League, take each game one at a time and who cares about the table.

If we still play like that after the window has shut and Adkins has brought in more players I'll be worried. But I would hope that once a few players come in 3 or 4 of those that lined up today will spend the rest of the season as squad players.

First half we were matching them, second half we played sloppy, so many missed passes, Fonte thinking he's got days on the ball being last man back. Lallana shone through as ever but fair play to Wigan, very disciplined and too witty for us at times.

Don't think it warrants a cause for panic though, the boys are still getting used to the ropes and perhaps start Punch and Guly on the flanks around Lambert, a sturdy CB wouldn't go amiss either but even if we get one in before Arsenal and Man U doubt Nige would play him as he wont settle in that quick.

Shone through, his corners were ****, he should not be taking corners, he is shocking at them