Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Saint Scott

I'm not convinced we have enough strength in depth to be honest.

Luke Shaw is now our first choice left back - but he's too young at 17 to be playing every week. If he does he will burn out like so many before him.

And we can't play Fox as he is a liability at this level - his positioning is just terrible. Hooiveld also looks to be out of his depth. I hope they both prove me wrong but so far they haven't.

We've also got no cover for Cork and Morgan if one gets injured - or banned - and we need to play 2 holding midfielders as our defence judt isnt good enough - and we all know how great our run of form was at the start of the season without Cork in the team.

Well, guess we're serious about bringing players through the youth team!

Kept our best players. Still think we need a bit of magic upfront, but maybe MP feels there is a lot more to come from our current playing staff.

and there are the stoke fans. Where do they find them??

All the Stoke fans I know are from Stoke, yet wisely don't live there.

I feel really sorry for Butland. It's like a Sleeping Beauty situation playing out in football. Yes, you can have your swansong in the magical kingdom of Birmingham, but then you will be forever exiled to the dark realm of Stoke.

When we're after a goal and we bring on Steven Davis, that, right there, is why we should have spent; why we should be less confident now than we were before the window shut. I suspect our Nigel wanted players but was told that wasn't the plan.

When we're after a goal and we bring on Steven Davis, that, right there, is why we should have spent; why we should be less confident now than we were before the window shut. I suspect our Nigel wanted players but was told that wasn't the plan.

I don't think that was the plan at all, well done for twisting it all over the show.

Outside of our starting 11. We are very weak

Big gamble....

We certainly don't have a UNited/City/Chelsea-like squad and there is certainly room for improvement, but we do have the odd player on the bench (depending who you think its our starting 11) that has done quite well at this level such as Guly, Prowse, Davis, Jrod and Ramirez. Mayuka and Forren have yet to be given a real chance to show what they can do too. IMO Jos, Richardson and Fox can do a job if needed.

We've spent a fortune. Not sure any Saint can have a complaint about lack of signings this year.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign anyone but I still think we have enough to stay up. A couple of shrewd signings and we could have been safe with a few games to spare, now it may be a bit tighter.

I agree - MP warned that he wasnt going to buy a player for the sake of it. Good policy I say. We have a team that can survive in this league. Any addition we now make should be a superstar, £8m plus players. Its time to reinforce with quality when we can not panic and buy anyone.

More money for the summer.

Saints spent over £35m on players this season, the last game saw them outplay Man Utd at Old Trafford with 21 shots on goal. Yet people complain! :D

why have you posted exactly this, including the same smiley on another thread? It's wierd.

Dry your brave tears fellow mates. We got what we needed the most, a talented and strong centre back. We'll come back for the wide man and midfielder in the summer, when there's more of a buyers market. Think we have enough talent to survive.

Yep. He's cocked up his career here.

I imagine the clubs will now try to force something through though, him staying at WBA now benefits no one. He's burnt all bridges.

A lot of baggies fans are reluctant to sell but know how good he has been for them and accept this is his last significant payday, my mate wishes him all the best.

What annoys people... Is hearing players going on about such mahoosive plans that te club have.... Champions league etc... Then we get rid of a manager for an apparent better one, then the chairman talks about top 6 in a few years

Then, nothing.....

It is so tight at the bottom... I thought we would have added a bit of quality this evening.... But nothing... Remain sceptical about our chances of survival

Do agree with you on this one Dell. The big picture vision is all and good but there is the "small" matter of staying in the Prem to realize it. I've got a feeling MP will get more out of Mayuka as the season draws on.

To all those bemoaning the single signing of a full international CB during this window, and those saying how weak we are beyond the starting 11, I think we must assume that the manager does not agree, and as football professional he is probably well qualified to have a view. The following list based on the starting line-up against Man U doesn't look to me as if all our second choice players are weak, or non-Prem standard.

Boruc --- Poland international --- Gazzaniga / K.Davis

Clyne --- England u-21 --- Fraser Richardson

Yoshida --- Japan international --- Vergard Forren

Hooiveld --- ---------------------- Jose Fonte / Jack Stephens

Fox --- Scotland international--- Luke Shaw

Cork --- England u-21 --- S.Davis

Schneiderlin --- France u-21 --- James Ward-Prowse

Puncheon --- ---------------------- Ramirez

Lallana --- England u-21 --- Do Prado / Chaplow

Rodrigues --- England u-21 --- Tadanari Lee

Lambert --- ---------------------- Mayuka

Edited by Professor

To all those bemoaning the single signing of a full international CB during this window, and those saying how weak we are beyond the starting 11, I think we must assume that the manager does not agree, and as football professional he is probably well qualified to have a view. The following list based on the starting line-up against Man U doesn't look to me as if all our second choice players are weak, or non-Prem standard.

Boruc Poland international Gazzaniga / K.Davis

Clyne England u-21 Fraser Richardson

Yoshida Japan international Vergard Forren

Hooiveld Jose Fonte / Jack Stephens

Fox Scotland international Luke Shaw

Cork England u-21 S.Davis

Schneiderlin France u-21 James Ward-Prowse

Puncheon Ramirez

Lallana England u-21 Do Prado / Chaplow

Rodrigues England u-21 Tadanari Lee

Lambert Mayuka

Agree totally - some of those who had shaky starts to the campaign are growing in to this league now and I'm happy we've not lost anyone that we would have wanted to keep. Settled and focused from now on.