How good are Southampton's Centre Backs?

Professor

Hooiveld keen, capable, has proved he can play at Prem level and scores the occasional goal, but is he good enough to be a first choice CB in a team that is looking to move up a level?

Fonte, was Adkins' favoured selection but after being out with injury hasn't been able to regain his place from Hooiveld. Good as a squad player but is he good enough to be a first choice CB at this level?

Yoshida, fills the CB role well and makes some important stops and blocks but also prone to mistakes. Sitting on his backside when the opponents score, or failing to mark adequately when the opposition CB comes up for a corner. Could we do better?

Forren. Who knows?

Is CB still a position that needs to be strengthened in the close season?

Yep, need a commanding first choice CB. With that I think Yoshi will be even better, think that would suit his mentality to have someone next to him that commands the defensive line.

Fonte or Hooiveld to leave in the summer I believe. I would have thought Hooiveld but he is getting picked over Fonte at the moment so a bit unsure at the moment...

Yoshida is a cracking player and still young for a centre back.

Forren -er... no idea!

Fonte and Hooiveld have shown that they can do a good job. Personally, I think Fonte is the better of the two at this level as Hooiveld is a bit immobile. Both of them seem like great charachters though and I think they are important parts of the squad.

Do we need to sign another one... well, I would say so, as Yoshi is the only one who looks to be genuine international class (Forren might be?!). Our aim, should we stay up, will doubtless be solid top half next season and to do that you need a lot of genuine class players in your team. I reckon we will sign Astori.

Pochettino's trust in Jos surprised me, especially after the way he started the season, but then he was the selected CB when Pochettino got the job, because of injury to Jose. Jos has had some solid games too since he's been in, playing alongside first choice Yoshida. Personally I still think Jose and Yoshi are the preffered partnership, but Jos being a left footer give us more balance. Who knows about Forren, perhaps one for the future but currently it seems like a strange signing.

For progression next season, I'd still like to see us bring in a dominant centre back. Whom to play with is the tough bit, but probably Yoshida or Forren. I hope we stick by Jose and Jos - Jos was excellent in the nPC (and has improved this season) and Jose was excellent in League One and good in the nPC (and was very good in the first half of this season)- but I can see us being a bit ruthless with some of the squad players in the summer.

Very surprised to see Hoovield ahead of Fonte. I think Fonte has been very good.

I'm happy with Fonte and Yoshida as first choice. If the manager thinks it's Fonte-Hoovield or goes for Fonte-Forren or Yoshida-Forren or whatever, well fine.

I think we now have 3 or 4 good centre backs. I'd like some cover here, but am not sure I'd spend £8m or whatever.

agree with the above. Poor options. Look at Hooiveld for Terry's goal, awful. We need two decent centre backs for next season to see us push out of the relegation contenders category

think thats a bit harsh, hooiveld had it covered and then slipped over, can't do a lot about that at the end of the day, not a footballing error!

think thats a bit harsh, hooiveld had it covered and then slipped over, can't do a lot about that at the end of the day, not a footballing error!

This. I think Hooiveld has improved massively lately. Reads the game better and does what he does best, which is being big and winning a lot of duels. Still think we should make a new centre back our main transfer target this summer.

Think it was Dalglish who said in an article fairly recently that slipping isnt bad luck, its a result of being in a poor position and overbalancing.

I would agree, he slipped because he was in a poor position and had to overcompensate.

Its suprising how often the oposition score and Hooiveld is lying on the floor.

He has done ok at times but if we want to kick on is the most easily replaceable player in the first XI.

Hooiveld has proved over the last few games that he can cope at this level, but I still think he is the weaker of the three. Fonte is more mobile, more vocal and better positionally. If Fonte plays Saturday then I don't think we concede that goal from Terry. I just always think with Hooiveld that a mistake is on its way!

(I haven't included Forren because we know naff all about him, but I've heard he's good on FIFA)

I doubt Forren will ever play for us, he's too busy supporting the local pubs.

Happy with either Fonte or Hooiveld as fourth choice and Yoshida decent third choice.

If we're going to kick on we need two new centre backs and a contract for Boruc as our priority IMO.

In my view it is all about balance in the CB positions.

Yoshida has had his better games on the right side of Centre Back and reads the game well. Fonte is also a right sided CB but lacks the heading skills and although he reads the game ok I prefer Yoshida.

On the left there is really only player suited and that is Hooiveld. He is pretty dominant in the air (slip against Terry excepted). He is a weak Premier CB but is doing a decent job at present.

Like I say, it is all about balance and best options. Hope Foran can come in next year if he is good enough. When Pochettino came to the club he said Foran was one for the future! On that basis we need to look for a strong left sided CB in the summer with Fonte & Foran as cover.

I am stunned at how low some people's opinion of Yoshida is.

Outside the box the simple pass does go awry at times, but inside the box he is the dominant CB reading the game very well and surgical with his tackles and interceptions. The fact that he has become the constant in defence with Jos and Jose coming in and out under NA and now MP must point to the fact that he is highly thought of. Seems to have an old head on young shoulders which leads me to believe he will mature into an even better CB for us.

Outside the box the simple pass does go awry at times, but inside the box he is the dominant CB reading the game very well and surgical with his tackles and interceptions. The fact that he has become the constant in defence with Jos and Jose coming in and out under NA and now MP must point to the fact that he is highly thought of. Seems to have an old head on young shoulders which leads me to believe he will mature into an even better CB for us.

Yeah for me he is very good. First season, thrown into a tricky situation and from a poor standard of footy.

Looks an excellent player and still only 25 or so. Definitely good enough to start.

Personally I think he has matured into a great CB for us, it took 3 or 4 months for him to get there in this league, but once he had adjusted he has been easily our best CB this season. He will get better and better the longer he stays with us, next season everyone will be screaming for him to be tied down to a longer contract. All CB's make mistakes and get caught out of position even Manure and Chelski CB's.

Here's one I would like to bring in for us:

USA International Omar Gonzalez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Gonzalez

He had a cracking game against Mexico in the World Cup Qualifier last week - in the Azteca, too. He only has 6 caps right now, but it's almost a guarantee that he will be capped in every game the US plays for the next few months....probably throughout the Hex.

But back on topic... I think our CB's are good but can always be better. So the club will be looking to improve, as they always should. I am content with them but not happy, the way I feel about most positions.

I think there better then people there all good enough to play, if we want to finish higher then 10th then yes we need to look at other options as when Cork is not there providing great support we struggled, last few games Yoshida has played like a world class CB with his tackles blocks interceptions and heading, however is passing has been league one at best, he is only 24 and CBs peak at 26-32 so we have his best years ahead of him, Fonte has been our best CB until his injury.

Jos for me is the one i feel who will lose out this summer if we sign a new CB, Forren not sure on this fella hopefully were safe last 2 games of the season and he can play in them games see how he does.

I doubt Forren will ever play for us, he's too busy supporting the local pubs.

Happy with either Fonte or Hooiveld as fourth choice and Yoshida decent third choice.

If we're going to kick on we need two new centre backs and a contract for Boruc as our priority IMO.

Source?

Forren?

Hooiveld is not premiership quality and neither is Fonte in my humble, Yoshida is a good back up as he can play anywhere.

I don't get it, how many of the Premiership's twenty clubs do in fact have Premiership quality CB's in your opinion then?

What are you basing this threshold on?

If it weren't for Fonte's injury against Chelsea so early in January I doubt Hooiveld would've made it past the transfer window in the squad. Also I think Fonte against normal conservative club policy was rushed into the side after the Newcastle 2nd half collapse, and even against Liverpool his knee looked to struggle with the subs warm-up exercises (yet looked every piece of his pre-injury form when he came on).

I think it's natural that Pochettino decides to go with Hooiveld in the starting 11 for now given he was forced to do so initially and results weren't bad, though personally I don't feel he has improved that much. He has several problems concerning his mobility that make him struggle under pressure and ineffective with his marking. I doubt he would've had the same ease at dealing with Ba like Yoshida/Fonte found in the Cup. His pinball defending style can either work very well or very badly. He is however much less exposed, just like most of our defenders, both with the introduction of Cork and also with a top class keeper whose fitness and form are out of jail. Basing analysis on results, I think we may look that with Yoshida-Fonte we conceded 8 goals in 10 games and from those games any goal we conceded was either due to decent attacking football or errors from Kelvin/Gazzaniga, and in most games I recall our defenders being forced to their limits to cover for the lack of a commanding voice behind them and effectively protecting the keeper very well.

I think Fonte's work has has often been underrated, and his more quiet, secondary role in the defensive partnership has even meant that outside the L1 promotion aftermath he has been ignored. However, he has shown a lot of responsibility and is a far more intelligent defender than Hooiveld and to an extent Yoshida, and technically one of our best defenders. He is also surprisingly comfortable with possession of the ball considering his position and is a plus to our passing game. Also, quite often in set pieces, most CBs often wait for another ball to be launched back at them, but I've seen Fonte being one of the more proactive players whenever a set piece is repelled back.

Fonte for me, but injuries can take more than just the recovery time for normal transmission to be resumed. Of course there is the option that the club are looking for some player revenue and hence Fonte may leave by the fact he is our more economically viable defender and one that other PL clubs could possibly look into. I doubt we would be able to strike a fee for Hooiveld unless he goes for a nominal fee to a Scandinavian club.

I think it's natural that Pochettino decides to go with Hooiveld in the starting 11 for now given he was forced to do so initially and results weren't bad, though personally I don't feel he has improved that much. He has several problems concerning his mobility that make him struggle under pressure and ineffective with his marking. I doubt he would've had the same ease at dealing with Ba like Yoshida/Fonte found in the Cup. His pinball defending style can either work very well or very badly.

Wait... what?

Yoshida certainly our best, thats for sure.

Hopefully we bring another class one in during the summer. Get Forren fit and lose either Fonte or Hooiveld.

I'd go with your assessment Charlie,

Yoshida and Hooiveld seem to be the best combination. Fonte has good control...when he has space, but anyone who wants to criticise Lambert for lack of pace has to admit that Fonte is painfully slow for a CB and although he has good ground control, he can be slow, especially when challenged, and his back-passing has caused more than a few problems for keepers.

True, Hooiveldt isn't " top class " but he has Michael Svensson's brave attitude of " getting to the ball at all costs " I noted in the Man. City game he was credited with winning the ball 14 times in head-to -heads. Critics who look at his "own-goals " record ought to look closer at how they occurred. At least he tries to get to the ball, for me " an own goal " is the " Gareth Barry type of misjudgment, poor back-passing etc,"

To criticise JH for the OG v. Newcastle is tragic. He knew nothing about it.. and it was Fox who slammed the ball into his back from 2 meters away.... and the rebound went into the goal.

I think Yoshida is most consistant, although he should never be asked to play at RB....otherwise I'd say he was one of the most-improved players this season.

I'd keep all those present, with consideration to injuries,suspensions /loss of form etc, although we now have Forran and now (the rumoured Davide Astori?)... although ..if you insist of getting rid of someone - it'd be Fonte.

Edited by david in sweden

Forren. Who knows?

According to the flag in your avatar you are Swiss. Which means you should have seen the match between Switzerland - Norway in October where Forren was man of the match with 3 headers in the woodwork and complete lockdown on your dead balls.

Or don't you watch your national team?

Anyway, Forren has the highest peak level of all the four, Fonte second, but current form and selection should indicate Hooi and Yosh are more fit and 'on a roll', so to speak.

According to the flag in your avatar you are Swiss. Which means you should have seen the match between Switzerland - Norway in October where Forren was man of the match with 3 headers in the woodwork and complete lockdown on your dead balls.

Or don't you watch your national team?

Anyway, Forren has the highest peak level of all the four, Fonte second, but current form and selection should indicate Hooi and Yosh are more fit and 'on a roll', so to speak.

What do you mean Forren has the "highest peak level of all the four"?

Centre back is still our weakest area. Fonte, Yoshida and Hooiveld are all decent, but none outstanding, unlike what we have in most areas of the pitch.

It just goes to show how different tactics and systems can either accenture or hide weaknesses and strengths in players and defenders are no different in that regard.

Where we do have a big problem at centre-half is distribution against teams that sit back on us. Fonte and Hooiveld have poor distribution into midfield and attack and while Yoshida is slightly better it isn't good enough. I guess that is where Forren comes in but we'll have to see how he goes.

Bring in a class, established English CB to partner Yoshida, use Fonte and Forren as back-up. Job done.
Good luck trying to find such an animal. Outside the old fogeys of Terry and Ferdinand, England is not awash with good CBs at the moment. Cahill is good, Lescott, who else? Why do we need an English CB anyway? Never had a problem with Claus and Killer at CB. Yoshi and Fonte are perfectly good CBs for the PL, Jos is decent cover, and Forren, well the jury is still out until we see him play more than a couple of U21 games (one of which at least he looked ordinary apart from his goal). Stephens will be knocking on the door soon, looks a decent prospect in the U21 games I've seen.

Except he has cost us a goal and got extremely lucky for another one in two games. But do carry on.

If he hadn't he wouldn't be here. He would be at Real Madrid, or Manure. I wouldn't break into a cold sweat if he came on from the bench any more, the way I do with some of our other subs.

Although I like both players, I don't think Jos and Jose are quite good enough to push us on further. However, both have done very well since the first 10 games of the season. I would bring in another centre back and another versatile player who can also play left/right back. Perhaps sell Jos or Jose. Of the two, if pushed, I would keep Jose. Forren? Who knows? Tbh, he is currently a waste of space, and has all the hallmarks of a Cortese 'youtube' signing. Shaw worries me a bit. He could suffer burn out if he's played every game.

Not good enough for a top ten aspiring Premier League team. None of them; not as first choice anyway.

Does that make sense? Without the woeful start we'd be top 10. That start really wasn't the defence we have now was it. Forren hasn't even played yet. So that's potentially 4 CBs who can all do a good job at this level. When did we ever have that before?

The most important factor in a strong defence is time together. Signing new defenders regularly isn't going to help the situation.

I guess it doesn't make sense if your exclusive idea of a top ten club is one that is not too far off tenth. Seeing as it obviously caused confusion I'll define my idea of a top ten club; it's one rather like Everton, who you'd expect year on year to finish inside the top ten. Some odd years they'll do less well, other years they'll do very well and even be capable of getting up amongst 5th and even 4th.

So, answering the original question again, I don't believe our CBs give us that backbone. Forren we clearly have no idea about yet, and if he's one defender to come in and be better than those that have played for us so far then great. In the summer I'd still hope for(and I keep saying this) someone kin the mould of Hangeland, or Sol Campbell in his day, a real commanding CB but one who can also play (ie a Hooiveld but without the mistakes).