Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

Bless the scottish faithful, they truely believe that just because they are the big boys of Scotlands equivalent of the Blue Square Premier they can actually judge players playing regularly in the premier league. Are they a big club ? Of course they are but in terms of quality I think they are nothing more than a top championship team.

We bought Wanyama, Hooper is linked with Hull and Forster ? They really do need to get a grip, Id love to play them pre season and hopefully stuff them.

I love Cork as much as everyone else but Wanyama is a better player and will start ahead of him if we play the sane formation as last year

Where he will add more solidity is those games like Stoke away where we have a lead but get deeper and deeper and overrun in the last 30 mins. I can also see Cork coming on in those situations to give a midfield 3

Cork, MS, VW, Davis, JWP (or AN Other), will all get to play a goodly number of games. It has to be incredibly strenuous to play the way we do, injuries will occur, and we have to be able to rotate the midfield or substitute tiring players with equally effective replacements.

This is what squad building is all about - as opposed to buying Nigel Quashie.

His latest interview on sky sports saying he thanks the Celtic fans and hopes to be back one day is not a very positive thing to say before even playing a game for Saints.

Hope he isn't just coming for a pay day

He meant when Saints are drawn against Celtic in the Champions League next season.

His latest interview on sky sports saying he thanks the Celtic fans and hopes to be back one day is not a very positive thing to say before even playing a game for Saints.

Of course he is, that's why all these players come from the four corners of the globe to play in the Premier League.

Because he signed for Southampton the day before they left, having been on tour abroad with Celtic. He'd have things to sort out beforehand and has now joined up with them. No big deal really.

Despite me saying:

Ignore that, he arrived there today.

You still felt the need to tell me that he arrived today.

He values the fans and loves the club, it doesn't make a difference to Saints. He probably wants to go back and play at Celtic Park as the opposition. If not, who cares? If he ever goes back to Celtic it'll be towards the end of his career or because he's failed somewhere along the line.

Edited by DuncanRG

Despite me saying:

You still felt the need to tell me that he arrived today.

Flipping hell mate, calm down. What's the hostility about? You asked a question which he was obviously replying to before your update, a simple checking of posting times would show that. Don't get why so many people just feel the need to be rude to MLG.

Southampton have got a very good player here. His distribution at times lets him down but his positional skills and sheer power make him an excellent holding midfielder. And I don't mean to be cheeky here but I think Southampton will be a stepping stone for him. He also has a good strike in him but can at times try and shoot when there are much better options. His defensive skills are second to none with the exception of rash tackling at times, expect him to pick up a few cards. He will certainly add some steel to your midfield and will make you harder to break down has he protects the defence very well which IMO Southampton need with their centre backs with the exception of Lovren.

Best of luck with the season ahead:)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/10547323.Does_Wanyama_signing_leave_Cork_out_in_the_cold_/

"The signing of Victor Wanyama has been greeted by much enthusiasm and excitement at Saints, not exactly surprising given the £12m they spent on him.

The Nigerian can play in a variety of positions, but is widely accepted to be at his best as a powerhouse central midfielder."

Oops...

(Edit: they updated that pretty sharpish)

Edited by trousers

Southampton have got a very good player here. His distribution at times lets him down but his positional skills and sheer power make him an excellent holding midfielder. And I don't mean to be cheeky here but I think Southampton will be a stepping stone for him. He also has a good strike in him but can at times try and shoot when there are much better options. His defensive skills are second to none with the exception of rash tackling at times, expect him to pick up a few cards. He will certainly add some steel to your midfield and will make you harder to break down has he protects the defence very well which IMO Southampton need with their centre backs with the exception of Lovren.

Best of luck with the season ahead:)

So apart from his poor distribution, wasteful shooting and his rash tackling you think he's destined for greater things than Southampton?

Some people just can't resist acting the prat.

You'll see in time what I mean, his passing is fine for the type of player he is, just don't expect cross field passes etc., its when he tries things like that his distribution is questionable.

His tackling can be rash at times and excellent at other times, this will improve with time, there was already signs of that happening at us.

With regards to shooting, he does try it too much but in more defensive role this shouldn't be a problem. However he is capable of this

He also poses a real threat aerially from set pieces.

I'm gutted to lose him but 12.5 million was great business for us and hopes we can now sign a much needed creative midfielder.

You'll see in time what I mean, his passing is fine for the type of player he is, just don't expect cross field passes etc., its when he tries things like that his distribution is questionable.

His tackling can be rash at times and excellent at other times, this will improve with time, there was already signs of that happening at us.

With regards to shooting, he does try it too much but in more defensive role this shouldn't be a problem. However he is capable of this

He also poses a real threat aerially from set pieces.

I'm gutted to lose him but 12.5 million was great business for us and hopes we can now sign a much needed creative midfielder.

I think most of us know where you're coming from. We know we're getting a player with a few rough edges, it would be unusual if we weren't with a player his age. However I'm genuinely excited by his signing. I know the league he's coming from isn't the strongest but he's performed against some great teams in Europe and hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

While our midfield was probably our strongest area last season I've long felt we could do with more bite in there. The way we play means we'll need strength in depth this season and I for one welcome someone whose capable of scoring the odd screamer from midfield.

Shiels and Celticman are correct. I said above that his distribution isn't great and that his tackling is not disciplined. He's got athleticism and strength but he is quite a limited player who just ain't worth 12.5 mil.

Shiels and Celticman are correct. I said above that his distribution isn't great and that his tackling is not disciplined. He's got athleticism and strength but he is quite a limited player who just ain't worth 12.5 mil.

Depends who you listen to. A couple of Celtic sseason ticket holder friends of mine have said that he's a total bargain at £12M and will be playing for a top 4 club within a year or two.

I suspect the rtuth is somewhere in between.

Depends who you listen to. A couple of Celtic sseason ticket holder friends of mine have said that he's a total bargain at £12M and will be playing for a top 4 club within a year or two.

As always - I'm not expecting the finished article - anyone that is well.......

Some of our fans said that about Steve De Ridder and Tanadri Lee!!!

There will always be flops as well as successes. I'm not about to start believing all our signings will be ****e before they've had a decent crack of the whip.

I don't think anyone is are they? We're buying potential again not the finished article which is the way to do things, but Unfortunately a lot of our fans see the price tag and think a player has a set level of ability based on that. Already some are saying 'he's not worth £12m'.

Wouldn't put it past some on here though, would you?

Unfortunately on the whole the transfer market it vastly inflated. To my knowledge there aren't that many Michu's about.

Sadly not, it'll be about 5 games before a 'is Wanyama worth the money' and an 'is Lovern any better than Hooliveld' thread. Guaranteed.

My assessment was based on what I'd seen of him rather than heard or read. I fear that he's the kind of player who's liked by people who thought that Chaplow and his ilk are/were great players cos they're busy and look more effective than they actually are.

I hope that I'm wrong though and that he proved to be great signing but I've got reservations.

My assessment was based on what I'd seen of him rather than heard or read. I fear that he's the kind of player who's liked by people who thought that Chaplow and his ilk are/were great players cos they're busy and look more effective than they actually are.

I hope that I'm wrong though and that he proved to be great signing but I've got reservations.

If he runs around a lot he'll be a fans favourite, this is guaranteed.

We need a different option anyway. There's no use just having all players who are lightweight and just like knocking it about. We play a lot of different types of teams in this division, and Wanyama will be an great asset even if his passing isn't as good as Cork and Morgan.

Cork and Schneiderlin are 'lightweight' now? Maybe by comparison, but those two are tough.
They're not leightweight at all. The one thing that I think Wanyama might give us that we didn't have last season is the ability carry the ball great distances, driving at opposition teams - Cork nor Schneiderlin are very good at that.

Cork and Schneiderlin are 'lightweight' now? Maybe by comparison, but those two are tough.

Well maybe not lightweight, but the majority of teams have a 'unit' in midfield these days.

Diame, Mikel, Yaya Toure, Mulumbu etc......it's great to have different options for when we need to make sure the midfield battle is won.

They're not leightweight at all. The one thing that I think Wanyama might give us that we didn't have last season is the ability carry the ball great distances, driving at opposition teams - Cork nor Schneiderlin are very good at that.

Agreed!

Well maybe not lightweight, but the majority of teams have a 'unit' in midfield these days.

Diame, Mikel, Yaya Toure, Mulumbu etc......it's great to have different options for when we need to make sure the midfield battle is won.

Are you sure you don't just mean a black man? Schneiderlin and Cork are just as strong as Diame, Mikel or Mulumbu.