Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Anxiety about wanting someone to do well is perfectly normal and understandable, it's just when it then metamorphoses into assuming a negative outcome with little or no basis other than personal pessimism that bugs me.

I'll be nervous for him, but I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it and will him on to do well and score a few. Rickie knows he isn't a long term answer to Englands needs, so he'll just go out and do his best, which is all you can ever ask of anyone in life. As long as he does that and enjoys himself, I couldn't care less what anyone else, press, pundits, or other fans, think.

Do yourself proud Rickie. :)

So, who is assuming a negative outcome, then ?

12/1 from skybet.

Just gone for first goalscorer myself.

The Indy seem to think Rickie starting is a reflection of a lack of striking options. His chance to prove them wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/rickie-lambert-selection-exposes-englands-dearth-of-talent-8801028.html

So, Turkish, tell me again how the press wont scapegoat him when such cliched rubbish is ALREADY being written ?

I don't think RL has anything to lose tonight, even if it goes t*ts up for England.

It's been made pretty clear by Hodgson that RL was/is not first choice striker and is only playing due to injuries to Rooney et al. and the lack of match fitness of Defoe. But Hodgson also said that RL has a fantastic attitude and is clearly liked by the rest of the England squad and it could be those factors that might keep him in the squad for the rest of the qualifiers and hopefully the WC next year.

Star Trek Into Darkness or Rickie's Full England debut?

Dr Sheldon Cooper - is that you?

Hmmmmm, think it might have to be Rickie's full debut!

Oh no - it can't be.

So, who is assuming a negative outcome, then ?

I didn't specifically say anyone did I? I merely said that anyone who would do such a thing, would bug me. I've not actually read much of this thread, and wanted to reply to that post.

Just as anyone bugs me who tends to look more for the potential negatives in a situation in favour of the positive, the opposite is also true. A balanced view is needed IMO, in everything, whether that is a Saints win, a Saints defeat, an England call-up for one of our players, a transfer move, a player released, etc, etc.

I've said this many times before - if everyone on here justifying their opinion with clear reasoning, and stopped feeling the need to be defensive about that opinion, it would make for far better debate. State your opinion, back it up with clear reasoning, stand by it, but remain open to persuasion from others and respect the fact that others will disagree...

But anyway, I digress.

Just bought some tickets for this match after reading this thread.

Will be getting the train, is it best to go to Waterloo / change at Clapham ? Basically what's the quickest route and how long will it take me?

Need to pick the tickets up from the ground if that makes any difference.

I was just searching 'Rickie Lambert vs Moldova forum' to see what neutral fans thought of SRL starting and came across this idiot. Have a read of this ahaha

"Just read that Rickie Lambert is set to start against Moldova . He was struggling against Scotland all game and his lack of ability was overlooked because of a decent header. If he's struggling against the Scottish defense, god knows what he'll be like against the Moldovans who are a more compact and organised unit,

Rickie Lambert is a decent player, but in no way is he England material. Not in the slightest. Where's Pennant's callup?

Scoring the winner does not make you a good player or make his performance any good. He was playing like a complete donkey most of the time, misplacing passes, getting into the wrong positions. I can imagine the England players being very frustrated with him."

I only saw the highlights of the game, but surely his performance wasn't that bad after his goal. If someone doesn't deserve a call-up after scoring a cracking header to win the game, then who does...Hope he silences all the doubters tonight !

Just bought some tickets for this match after reading this thread.

Will be getting the train, is it best to go to Waterloo / change at Clapham ? Basically what's the quickest route and how long will it take me?

Need to pick the tickets up from the ground if that makes any difference.

Waterloo to Marylebone on the Bakerloo. Marylebone to Wembley Stadium (1 stop, 10 minutes) on the train. Avoids all the congestion and delay at Wembley tube stations, especially after the match. Wembley stadium Railway station closer to teh stadium too.

Whether he plays well tonight, scores a goal or two or not, he's getting the opportunity. After tonight, and possible Tuesday, none of us can hide behind "it's because he plays for Southampton that he isn't getting his chance". We'll know once and for all whether he's up to the task. He has one, maybe two games to make his mark and if he doesn't, then I suspect that will bring an end to his brief England career but at least he will have been given a reasonable go. I, for one, think he'll play well and pop up with a goal and put himself in the hunt for a World Cup spot; he's constantly stepped up for us. And even if he doesn't he'll still be an absolute Southampton legend. Good luck Sir.

I, for one, think he'll play well and pop up with a goal

Yeah, that's what I'm predicting too! I actually think he'll be more effective for England than even he has been for us lately, cos he'll be spending more time in the box & getting on the end of crosses rather than farting about in midfield or out wide.

Just have to hope England don't bring in Osvaldo and try and get Rickie to play in a number 10 role.

oh facepalm @ tokyos! Osvaldo isn't even in the squad! Hopefully if he is call up in future tho, Hodgson will not try + play lambart + Osvaldo together cos it simply doesn't work! We have 128 minutes evidence of this!

Edited by Bearsy

I am pondering a late fitness test to take myself and two kids (10,15)to see Rickie's debut. Its only £40 - the train fare is more than the tickets.....Question: small point on dresswear. Is it ok to wear Saints shirts to this match or not? Is there any chance of trouble with other supporters if we do or is it all forgotten these days when we meet up to support England? I cant remember last England match i saw live so don't know what the deal is.....first one was v Italy in 1973 when i was ten my dad took me and i got an Italy rosette...some guy called capello scored italys winning goal..this time going supporting England ( well SRL + England!)...

oh facepalm @ tokyos! Osvaldo isn't even in the squad! Hopefully if he is call up in future tho, Hodgson will not try + play lambart + Osvaldo together cos it simply doesn't work! We have 128 minutes evidence of this!

Doesn't matter anyway Bear cause as soon as Bale and Rooney are fit these will be our front 2 regardless. Rickie will be lucky for a place on the bench.

Because forgive me for removing my saints tinted glasses, but Rickie is starting due to a lack of options upfront ?

He hasnt even been that good for us !

being good for us doesnt matter now he is in the England fold.

he can score 1 more goal for us and should still play for england as long as he scores the odd goal for the 3 lions

Have to say in defence of Alps, I only noticed this morning that we were playing Gerrard AND Lampard together AGAIN.

So as they 1) Tend to never work as a pairing and 2) are the darlings of the Media he does have a point.

The difference being that both players have changed their games over the last few years as they've got older, and the system we'll play tonight (and against most other teams at international level) won't involve the two of them playing directly alongside each other getting in each other's way, as used to be the case. Gerrard plays much deeper these days, Lampard will be almost up alongside Lambert tonight. I wouldn't expect Lampard to play on Tuesday, would think Hodgson will bring in a bit more energy, which probably means Cleverley, rightly or wrongly.

Once you're in an England side in a competitive international, the disproportionate expectation from some sections of the press and some fans comes with the territory. Ask Rickie though and I doubt he's bothered - and I think he's actually well suited to the team and can play an important role in bringing others in the game and then getting into the box to get on the end of crosses or other passes.

Have faith people. Rickie has coped with the pressures and expectations at every level of his journey up the leagues with us - why shouldn't he do so now?

I wonder if he'll take a penalty if we get one. Surely Hodgson would be stupid to ignore RL's record from the spot, but my guess is Lampard or Gerrard will bet the nod based on seniority.

I actually kind of hope not, can you imagine the media backlash if he missed? :scared: Not that he ever misses but still.

The difference being that both players have changed their games over the last few years as they've got older, and the system we'll play tonight (and against most other teams at international level) won't involve the two of them playing directly alongside each other getting in each other's way, as used to be the case. Gerrard plays much deeper these days, Lampard will be almost up alongside Lambert tonight. I wouldn't expect Lampard to play on Tuesday, would think Hodgson will bring in a bit more energy, which probably means Cleverley, rightly or wrongly.

This, plus they are the darlings of the media for a reason, they are two very good players

So, Turkish, tell me again how the press wont scapegoat him when such cliched rubbish is ALREADY being written ?

If anything though that completely disproves your point. They're not saying "Get Lambert out of the team!", they're saying "We don't have any other strikers available". They're not putting any blame on Rickie at all. Yes, they might after the game but they also might not. There's no evidence anywhere to suggest this is definitely going to happen, and the evidence you just picked up on in fact suggests the opposite will happen.

Your eagerness to find the negativity in everything is truly baffling and really fascinating.

Once you're in an England side in a competitive international, the disproportionate expectation from some sections of the press and some fans comes with the territory. Ask Rickie though and I doubt he's bothered - and I think he's actually well suited to the team and can play an important role in bringing others in the game and then getting into the box to get on the end of crosses or other passes.

Have faith people. Rickie has coped with the pressures and expectations at every level of his journey up the leagues with us - why shouldn't he do so now?

Great last sentence, and in reality although I joke about it, I felt back last summer in the Euros that SRL DID have something "Sheringhamesque" that would be suited to England. I also felt strongly that IF he got the chance he would not let anyone down.

Seems from some of the Press today that Woy has now seen that as well, Intelligence Attitude and an ability to match his brain, he ain't no Messi, but, and here is the rub, BUT he COULD be the hero. He COULD actually live the dream and get us to Brazil.

It's as likely to happen as is Alp's worry that he'll be blamed for failure, I just have faith in the man. He actually has the brain to know what is needed.

Rickie Lambert playing in the World Cup and in Brazil... Only thing now that is stopping him is himself

Dear Lord send the men with the white coats

I need more Vino before Kick Off that's f'sure

Whether he plays well tonight, scores a goal or two or not, he's getting the opportunity. After tonight, and possible Tuesday, none of us can hide behind "it's because he plays for Southampton that he isn't getting his chance". We'll know once and for all whether he's up to the task. He has one, maybe two games to make his mark and if he doesn't, then I suspect that will bring an end to his brief England career but at least he will have been given a reasonable go. I, for one, think he'll play well and pop up with a goal and put himself in the hunt for a World Cup spot; he's constantly stepped up for us. And even if he doesn't he'll still be an absolute Southampton legend. Good luck Sir.

This

Lols thought it was just me.

Rickie starts for England tonight. To hell with it, I'll have a nice Sirloin Steak, Chips, Salad, Onion Rings & Mushrooms for dinner & a nice Red Wine to get in the mood followed by a few bevvies....

Just spoke with my Brother in UK - who is in the middle of cooking the above before sitting down to watch. Just spoke to a mate in Sharjah. Who's doing exactly the same.

Carlsberg don't do boys nights, but if they did........

Lols thought it was just me.

Rickie starts for England tonight. To hell with it, I'll have a nice Sirloin Steak, Chips, Salad, Onion Rings & Mushrooms for dinner & a nice Red Wine to get in the mood followed by a few bevvies....

Just spoke with my Brother in UK - who is in the middle of cooking the above before sitting down to watch. Just spoke to a mate in Sharjah. Who's doing exactly the same.

Carlsberg don't do boys nights, but if they did........

Should have had ribeye FFS.

It's nothing more than a publicity stunt. Because picking Southampton players is massive news.

It's been a bad few weeks for some of the mugs on here. The daily fail (PMSL) can't stop praising us which must be like a dagger in the heart if the mail haters and now we've got a player starting for England, even Lawro predicted us to win. It's all very confusing but at least meridian still hate us.

Flash backs to when Joe bogeyed the 16th at sadiyaat?

Flashback to Peter Reid & a lapdancer from Manchester.

The bottle of Chateau Musar, Andy Murray vs Roger Federer, Rupert on the phone and then...

David Speedie & Chris Eubanks turned up and asked where I was going to take them to party.....

Trust me - WAY worse than golf. Am still trying to sell the book rights to Jeremy Bearsy