Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Interesting scenario develops....

Rickie is the hero again tomorrow.

And the world turns to our West Ham Build Up thread to see (many) Saints fans NOT selecting him in their teams for next Saturday.

Funny old game:)

Made up for Rickie, he looks really calm and at home in that interview.

England Expects..............

So pleased for him, hope he puts in a decent showing and we're not in a position where we fail to win and the entire team is hung up as **** etc.

Annoyed at the comments from other clubs ''look at the forward line'' ''have we ever had a worse set of strikers?''

Uneducated idiots.

So pleased for him, hope he puts in a decent showing and we're not in a position where we fail to win and the entire team is hung up as **** etc.

Annoyed at the comments from other clubs ''look at the forward line'' ''have we ever had a worse set of strikers?''

Uneducated idiots.

If he plays as we know he can he'll cement his place as a hero. When it comes to the national side people are fickle.

With Rickie though, people respect his modesty and love him for his enthusiasm. He would be elevated only further if he scores even one.

Lambert Starts. On BBC Website

I dont know what to make of this news.

Rickie must be absolutely thrilled. And part of me is delighted for him too, and also for SFC. Providing the main striker for the England team is a major prestige thing.

But every silver lining has a cloud. Am I the only one thinking back to MLTs appearance for England against Italy, and the way he was scapegoated afterwards ? The English press are merciless, I am worried about what happens if it all goes tits-up. They wont blame Lampard and Gerrard (even though Woy has resurrected that lame duck formation again). If it goes badly, and he gets a hammering in the press, it could seriously put the mockers on our season if his confidence gets a battering.

And the world turns to our West Ham Build Up thread to see (many) Saints fans NOT selecting him in their teams for next Saturday.

Like I said at the time and was shouted down for saying, it was ironic that one the day saints fans were overjoyed Lambeet made his England debut they were practically begging the club to sign a player who would probably take his place in the saints side.

Rickie must be absolutely thrilled. And part of me is delighted for him too, and also for SFC. Providing the main striker for the England team is a major prestige thing.

But every silver lining has a cloud. Am I the only one thinking back to MLTs appearance for England against Italy, and the way he was scapegoated afterwards ? The English press are merciless, I am worried about what happens if it all goes tits-up. They wont blame Lampard and Gerrard (even though Woy has resurrected that lame duck formation again). If it goes badly, and he gets a hammering in the press, it could seriously put the mockers on our season if his confidence gets a battering.

Moldova ain't Italy.

Yes.

I feel for you man... I genuinely do. To be so negative in almost any situation re the club must take it out of you.

Seriously, just try and smile and think happy thoughts. Think of you kids, think of how great life is.. Go on.. Do it now..

The world ain't so bad and its only football mush despite what that idiot Shankly said(sic).

I feel for you man... I genuinely do. To be so negative in almost any situation re the club must take it out of you.

Seriously, just try and smile and think happy thoughts. Think of you kids, think of how great life is.. Go on.. Do it now..

The world ain't so bad and its only football mush despite what that idiot Shankly said(sic).

Dont feel for him, he might have a perfectly valid reason why he thinkg if England fail to beat Moldova the fury of the nation will turn on the guy making his first start for his country and who was the darling of the media only 3 weeks ago. I'm sure there is one, so i'm waiting to hear it.

Don't see that as a problem Phil. I don't think anybody really thinks Rickie should be an automatic starter for England, but a great option off the bench. If he came off the bench to score against WH it might actually improve his chances of a longer run in the squad.

Bought my tickets for this about 6 weeks ago, didn't even realise there was a family section...I hope we're not in it.

Bonus that Rickie is in the squad and starting as never thought that would verge case when I bought them!

not sure if you've been to an England home game before but the atmosphere is usually dead in whatever part of the ground you go in.

should be able to spot any other saints fans in the ground tonight when Lambert's name is read out.

not sure if you've been to an England home game before but the atmosphere is usually dead in whatever part of the ground you go in.

should be able to spot any other saints fans in the ground tonight when Lambert's name is read out.

I've not been to an England home game for years but a few of us are going to the Poland game. I'm starting to wish i hadn't bothered to be honest.

So basically you dont trust that Rickie is good enough to have a good game against Moldova??

Of course I think he is good enough, and he will certainly be up for it.

Its the other 10 w*nkers in white (ok, 9 in white and the 10th in some daft-colour combination) I dont trust.

You really think tabloid journos are going to blame Gerrard and Lampard for Rickie getting no supply, rather than focus on the one or two half-chances he fails to convert ?

Of course I think he is good enough, and he will certainly be up for it.

Its the other 10 w*nkers in white (ok, 9 in white and the 10th in some daft-colour combination) I dont trust.

You really think tabloid journos are going to blame Gerrard and Lampard for Rickie getting no supply, rather than focus on the one or two half-chances he fails to convert ?

Because the media have never questioned if Gerrard and Lampard can play together before have they.

Because the media have never questioned if Gerrard and Lampard can play together before have they.

That is a criticism of the coach, not of the players.

Look I really hope it works out. I would love to see Rickie get a hat-trick or something, and really strengthen his grip on a squad place. I am merely stating what I think will happen if it doesnt go according to plan.

You on the blob today or something ?

Have to say in defence of Alps, I only noticed this morning that we were playing Gerrard AND Lampard together AGAIN.

So as they 1) Tend to never work as a pairing and 2) are the darlings of the Media he does have a point.

But then it is Moldova and we actually scored 5 against them away from home. The U-21's had all the stupid bad luck/poor finishing karma last night.

Meh, IF England fail to win against that shower I think Rickie getting stick would be the last of your worries!

:rolleyes:

That is a criticism of the coach, not of the players.

Look I really hope it works out. I would love to see Rickie get a hat-trick or something, and really strengthen his grip on a squad place. I am merely stating what I think will happen if it doesnt go according to plan.

You on the blob today or something ?

So surely they critise the coach for yet again attempting a system whih has failed so often previously?

Its not me angrily tapping away at the keyboard tubby. Just merely exploring your reasoning as to why you are expecting the media to make Rickie Lambert the scapregoat if we fail to beat Moldova. There doesn't really seem to be one, other than you think they wont blame anyone else. It's a bit odd.

Have to say in defence of Alps, I only noticed this morning that we were playing Gerrard AND Lampard together AGAIN.

So as they 1) Tend to never work as a pairing and 2) are the darlings of the Media he does have a point.

But then it is Moldova and we actually scored 5 against them away from home. The U-21's had all the stupid bad luck/poor finishing karma last night.

Meh, IF England fail to win against that shower I think Rickie getting stick would be the last of your worries!

:rolleyes:

If you get time between holes today google it. There are dozens and dozens of articles questioning the playing of Lampard and Gerrard together going back over 5 years, but if we dont win tonight they are going to forget all that and al the other failings and what is wrong with English football and turn on Rickie Lambert.

Star Trek Into Darkness or Rickie's Full England debut?

Hmmmmm, think it might have to be Rickie's full debut!

It may be that im a miserable sod as well but it certainly crossed my mind - I can remember exactly where I was when Le Tis missed that header as I thought back to me listening on the radio as soon as I heard the news. Although we should stuff this lot, rickie is certainly good enough etc a piece of me gulped and thought please just smash one in in the first 10 mins so I can enjoy it without worrying about it. If England don't perform as well as we can its not going to be about the middle it will be about the lack of English players - and that is (no matter what you think of Rickie) most easy to target in the attack with the attack being lead by and 30+ yr old with 20 international minutes and 2 prem seasons to his name. As a striker if we fail to score enough regardless of whos fault it is its our press we're talking about. I trust him to perform like the hero he is, honest, hard working and talented performance.... what the others do and what the press write........ haven't got the same level of faith!

I've not been to an England home game for years but a few of us are going to the Poland game. I'm starting to wish i hadn't bothered to be honest.

i'm away on holiday when that is on mate, but that will be a tasty atmosphere, loads of Poles have bought tickets in the home end so you can join them in support Arthur Boruc!

i reckon 30% of the crowd will be Polish at that.

i'm away on holiday when that is on mate, but that will be a tasty atmosphere, loads of Poles have bought tickets in the home end so you can join them in support Arthur Boruc!

i reckon 30% of the crowd will be Polish at that.

I've been waking up in a cold sweat at night for a couple of weeks with the nightmare that it's 0-0 into Injury time & England get a Penalty and it's Rickie vs The Holy Goalie....

I've been waking up in a cold sweat at night for a couple of weeks with the nightmare that it's 0-0 into Injury time & England get a Penalty and it's Rickie vs The Holy Goalie....

I was outlining the possibility of that very scenario to a work colleague yesterday.... we couldn't make it up....could we...? :)

I was outlining the possibility of that very scenario to a work colleague yesterday.... we couldn't make it up....could we...? :)

My daughter pointed out that Lambert would have been taking penalties against Foster the whole week he was with England and to be fair he got mighty close to it at WBA, but if Rickie needs to beat Boruc he will

My daughter pointed out that Lambert would have been taking penalties against Foster the whole week he was with England and to be fair he got mighty close to it at WBA, but if Rickie needs to beat Boruc he will

Won't Lampard take penalties for England even if Rickie's in the team with his far better record?

Made even worse in Chez DP by the fact that Mrs D_P is the one who came up with it, she is Polish & I will be.... In Poland around that time....

Think some of the apprehension some of the posters on here are feeling is fully justified, but let's relax and just enjoy watching Rickie walk out as England's number 9 (assuming that's his number)

Anxiety about wanting someone to do well is perfectly normal and understandable, it's just when it then metamorphoses into assuming a negative outcome with little or no basis other than personal pessimism that bugs me.

I'll be nervous for him, but I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it and will him on to do well and score a few. Rickie knows he isn't a long term answer to Englands needs, so he'll just go out and do his best, which is all you can ever ask of anyone in life. As long as he does that and enjoys himself, I couldn't care less what anyone else, press, pundits, or other fans, think.

Do yourself proud Rickie. :)

Hmmmmm, think it might have to be Rickie's full debut!

Of course it is. Into Darkness is sh!t.