Rickie Lambert - England Qualifiers

Saint-Armstrong

Sturridge will play Friday. Just because they are not training today doesn't mean they won't train sometime this week.

I think it's quite likely sturridge will be saved for the tougher fixture away to Ukraine on the following Tuesday.

Lambert and Welbeck up front for England would be decent.

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 3m

No Defoe, Caulker, Wilshere, Sturridge at #eng training

Looks like Lambert might be carrying the hopes of the Nation in the next few days.

And the problem with this is Mr Winter? Right man right place. Better than pinning your hopes on some other English "strikers".

To be honest, other than the Scotland game - Rickie has had a slow start to the season for me.

doesnt matter

the england team is littered with players who are crap for their clubs. as long as he does well again (if he comes on) in the next week. he could not score again this season and still get called up

oh, that is only the case for Man United players, isnt it

I'd agree, but I reckon he's been thinking about his next England appearance. He probably doesn't want to be a one match wonder..

So in other words, the best way to lose his England squad place.

His best bet is to keep delivering for us. Anyway, once some injuries clear up, Rickie will be out; its simply bowing to the inevitable.

I notice this morning the guardian is saying England have big striker problems with Rooneys injury, a couple sitting out training, and Lambert being "too raw" (aka doesnt play for a top 6 team)

I personally think the chances are higher than for the Scotland match that he will start.

First of all the obvious- No Sturridge. No Rooney. Secondly Roy tends to play two strikers - hence Rooney and Welbeck started last match with Theo in there too as a added attacking threat. I dont see us playing just one striker at home to moldova either...Rooney was kind of allowed to drift wherever he liked as number 10 whereas Welbeck played more conventionally as a striker. As a replacement for "drift wherever you like up front" I think SRL is better than Defoe or Oxo because he has Teddy Sheringham-style awareness and technical ability to hold ball and bring others into play from wherever he is. Oxo is more direct wing play and Defoe is just a goal poacher rather than play-maker - so out of the players available id say SRL and wellbeck should be the starting forward line. If Roy is feeling bold / stupid / cowardly it will be Welbeck OXO or Welbeck Defoe but i rather hope he would like us to retain possession high up the pitch and bring the Wiltshires, Gerrards etc into play edge of the box to score - and that's Rickie- unless he scores himself of course which if he starts then he has got a great chance that he should...the other option is to push Theo forward with Well;beck of course and start Oxo- but i think that makes us a bit lightweight myself - and Oxo as good as he is going forward can still be a defensive liability if dispossessed in a difficult part of the pitch...

Edited by Giordano

I expect England to play Wellbeck up front with a 5 man midfield.

He may get on toward the end if that approach doesn't work.

That might be the way we go in Kiev next week but there's nothing to suggest we'll do that at home against one of the group minnows. We won 5-0 in Chisinau a year ago, and were 3-0 up inside half an hour so it's not as if we're afraid to attack.

I'd expect something like this tomorrow night:

Hart

Walker - Jagielka - Cahill - Cole

Gerrard - Wilshere

Lampard/Cleverley

Walcott - Lambert - Welbeck

Fully expected Lambert to be on the bench originally, but now Sturridge is out there's no reason for him not to start IMO.

So in other words, the best way to lose his England squad place.

His best bet is to keep delivering for us. Anyway, once some injuries clear up, Rickie will be out; its simply bowing to the inevitable.

I notice this morning the guardian is saying England have big striker problems with Rooneys injury, a couple sitting out training, and Lambert being "too raw" (aka doesnt play for a top 6 team)

Funny I read too 'raw' as the fact that he has only ever had two seasons outside of league 1 ?

That might be the way we go in Kiev next week but there's nothing to suggest we'll do that at home against one of the group minnows. We won 5-0 in Chisinau a year ago, and were 3-0 up inside half an hour so it's not as if we're afraid to attack.

I'd expect something like this tomorrow night:

Hart

Walker - Jagielka - Cahill - Cole

Gerrard - Wilshere

Lampard/Cleverley

Walcott - Lambert - Welbeck

Fully expected Lambert to be on the bench originally, but now Sturridge is out there's no reason for him not to start IMO.

Wont be far from it I dont expect, swap cleverley for carrick (and shift them around a bit) and I think its a decent enough line up all in all.

Yeah, it's only £30 for both of us. Cheaper than a Saints game...

It's cheaper to buy 2 adults and a child ticket then 2 adults in a different section. It always throws up an error if you just try to get 2 adult tickets in the family end.

2 x Adults + 1 x Child = £50

1 x Adult on their own = £55

I think it's quite likely sturridge will be saved for the tougher fixture away to Ukraine on the following Tuesday.

Lambert and Welbeck up front for England would be decent.

yeah that was a good shout.

Tickets bought. First England game I've been to since this one:

Hopefully Lambert will score and I'll be going just as batshlt crazy tomorrow as I did then.

In the youth module I did recently, they showed clips of Beckham practicing free kicks the day before this game - he stayed behind for two hours, taking free kick after free kick. They interlaced the practice kicks with the 13(!!) real ones he took in that game, showing similar "style" ones, until the eventual one that he scored from, which someone else tried to take off him, but he waved them away. The point of the video was to show the dedication and confidence he had in himself to keep on taking the kicks even after missing the previous 12.