Adkins to West Brom??

JustinR

This

Adkins wins 50% of his games vs Mopo 30%

amazing that some are considered prem managers, while some arent

also so much hatred from some towards a guy that did so much for us - weird

I dont hate NA and am happy with what he did, but i think a lot on here are tired of those like yourself who big him up against our current manager and so like to snipe back.

I dont hate NA and am happy with what he did, but i think a lot on here are tired of those like yourself who big him up against our current manager and so like to snipe back.

Anyway, with Saints in the PL 5 wins out of 22, with Reading since he's been there 10 out of 33 so that in fact makes 15 out of 55 so that's an absolutely sh*tty record seeing as most of the Reading games are in the Championship and he can't even win many of those. It's only when you start considering the League 1 years with Saints where he was managing a side that didn't even need much managing that the win stats are doped up. A side in League 1 with 5 or 6 players who are amongst the best in the PL now, who can't win with that, I could win with that, so could my late gran.

Anyway, with Saints in the PL 5 wins out of 22, with Reading since he's been there 10 out of 33 so that in fact makes 15 out of 55 so that's an absolutely sh*tty record seeing as most of the Reading games are in the Championship and he can't even win many of those. It's only when you start considering the League 1 years with Saints where he was managing a side that didn't even need much managing that the win stats are doped up. A side in League 1 with 5 or 6 players who are amongst the best in the PL now, who can't win with that, I could win with that, so could my late gran.

Spot on.

He actually underachieved with what he had at his disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hopefully it will be Adkins and not someone decent then.

Pathetic.

The man took us from near the bottom of League one to playing well in the Prem. Sure he had cash at his disposal but my obiding memory of him will be his last game of Chelsea away. His work ethic was all to see in that 2nd half as we battled back from 2-0 to 2-2. He came on the pitch and congratulated every player.

He represented the club brilliantly with his attitude and was replaced by a man who still cant speak English.

Given the chance he would have gone on to be a managerial legend on a par with Lawrie Mac, that if he's not a legend already.

Pathetic.

The man took us from near the bottom of League one to playing well in the Prem. Sure he had cash at his disposal but my obiding memory of him will be his last game of Chelsea away. His work ethic was all to see in that 2nd half as we battled back from 2-0 to 2-2. He came on the pitch and congratulated every player.

He represented the club brilliantly with his attitude and was replaced by a man who still cant speak English.

Given the chance he would have gone on to be a managerial legend on a par with Lawrie Mac, that if he's not a legend already.

Agree with you, especially the bit in bold.

Good luck to him wherever he goes (with one or two exceptions perhaps).

NA is a good manager and a top bloke. WBA would be a better fit for him than Reading. Either way, I hope he finds the right club for himself.

The trolls on this forum are becoming unbearable.

There is a handy little ignore button if you don't want to see their comments.

Spot on.

He actually underachieved with what he had at his disposal.

[/url]

That means Pochettino is dead cert for the chop then. When he was sacked Adkins had lost 2 games in the previous 12 in the PL. Since then Pochettino has spent another £20m odd and lost six in the previous 12.

That means Pochettino is dead cert for the chop then. When he was sacked Adkins had lost 2 games in the previous 12 in the PL. Since then Pochettino has spent another £20m odd and lost six in the previous 12.

Osvaldo + Wanyama + Lovren (+ Forren?) = I'm a bit red wine at the moment but I think you'll find it's more than 20m? (good point though;)).

I hope he lands another premier league job, as he deserves a proper crack at managing at that level. He was guiding us to safety. I think he could be good for WBA.

Loved his time here as manager on our fantastic rise to the top flight. Just hope it is not a week on Sat.

Great bloke!

I think Nigel Adkins was a great man for us and certainly it is wrong to devalue him, but I can't help but notice that he hasn't sounded or looked as optimistic at Reading.

He does not have a bad squad, and I'm sure Madejski is not that nasty a boss. Maybe the show isn't running that smoothly anymore?

It may sound unfair, but I don't think any of us can help but think that maybe, he had a backing that many managers would have dreamt of, and it was more a case of "if it ain't broke"? Were there any real changes to the team when the Pardew-Adkins move happened, apart from maybe the apparent motivation of the playing squad? And let's face it, it might have been a wobbly start but the team didn't necessarily change that much.

I know he sounds and probably is a rather unpleasant man but Pardew was the one that got away. Stories of mischief and others are of bad taste, it was evident that the real issue was his personality clashing with hard-bargain Cortese. That and maybe not being the best person with fellow technical staff workers, but the main reason was always going to be related to the main man.

Adkins, with his cheerful character and optimistic personality, was a good choice in terms of what the club needed, but I think there is enough evidence to suggest that once a little bit more than simply putting the feet on the pedal was needed he didn't excel. For me, the run-in with Reading and results like Fulham and Sunderland at home and West Brom away last season showed that maybe he wasn't that much on the ball as we thought he was.

Pure speculation but I think he also had something to do with the GK issue and we all know how we struggled at the beginning and further evidence of it is how well we started this season with a settled number one. Boruc's late signing and worse than that premature launch into the first team whilst clearly not fit further put him into trouble.

Anyway this has been discussed extensively. I don't agree with some fans putting him up there with Lawrie Mac, who through his different roles essentially reinvented us time and time again despite our ageing structure and facilities making it look like the industry era of football was passing us by. Dare I say if it wasn't for him we would've fallen in the traps of lower league football much sooner, like other resource-maximisers of the time such as Wimbledon or Oldham did. We eventually held on long enough to enter it ourselves. We fell hard, but were always a better proposition down there than many others.

It is also not fair to discredit Adkins, who I'm sure will find his perfect job.

I do not think it is the same. He knew about bringing a lower league size up and to land a job with a league 1 team like Southampton with the ambition and the set up would have been amazing.

With Reading it is a team that were relegated from the premier league, which they got into out of nowhere. Now they are not good enough and the place does not have the same buzz as it had at here. The bandwagon just kept rolling!

I thought the Wolves job would have suited him and I think he would have had the same buzz and set up that he had here.

But becoming a manager of a team that was in the premier league get relegated, the fans expect you to go straight back up, whoever you are. If you do not you can only lose.

I think Nigel Adkins was a great man for us and certainly it is wrong to devalue him, but I can't help but notice that he hasn't sounded or looked as optimistic at Reading.

He does not have a bad squad, and I'm sure Madejski is not that nasty a boss. Maybe the show isn't running that smoothly anymore?

It may sound unfair, but I don't think any of us can help but think that maybe, he had a backing that many managers would have dreamt of, and it was more a case of "if it ain't broke"? Were there any real changes to the team when the Pardew-Adkins move happened, apart from maybe the apparent motivation of the playing squad? And let's face it, it might have been a wobbly start but the team didn't necessarily change that much.

I know he sounds and probably is a rather unpleasant man but Pardew was the one that got away. Stories of mischief and others are of bad taste, it was evident that the real issue was his personality clashing with hard-bargain Cortese. That and maybe not being the best person with fellow technical staff workers, but the main reason was always going to be related to the main man.

Adkins, with his cheerful character and optimistic personality, was a good choice in terms of what the club needed, but I think there is enough evidence to suggest that once a little bit more than simply putting the feet on the pedal was needed he didn't excel. For me, the run-in with Reading and results like Fulham and Sunderland at home and West Brom away last season showed that maybe he wasn't that much on the ball as we thought he was.

Pure speculation but I think he also had something to do with the GK issue and we all know how we struggled at the beginning and further evidence of it is how well we started this season with a settled number one. Boruc's late signing and worse than that premature launch into the first team whilst clearly not fit further put him into trouble.

Anyway this has been discussed extensively. I don't agree with some fans putting him up there with Lawrie Mac, who through his different roles essentially reinvented us time and time again despite our ageing structure and facilities making it look like the industry era of football was passing us by. Dare I say if it wasn't for him we would've fallen in the traps of lower league football much sooner, like other resource-maximisers of the time such as Wimbledon or Oldham did. We eventually held on long enough to enter it ourselves. We fell hard, but were always a better proposition down there than many others.

It is also not fair to discredit Adkins, who I'm sure will find his perfect job.

Good post - I'll always be grateful that his drive and personality gelled a good squad that he (mostly) improved by being given resources that other L1 & Championship managers could only dream of - his excellent and proven record is in getting teams promoted from lower leagues which made him an ideal candidate for Reading.

His PL record, however harsh it may seem, is not yet proven, is not that good - which is why I'm not sure there is great substance in this although they gave Clark his chance?

Good post - I'll always be grateful that his drive and personality gelled a good squad that he (mostly) improved by being given resources that other L1 & Championship managers could only dream of - his excellent and proven record is in getting teams promoted from lower leagues which made him an ideal candidate for Reading.

His PL record, however harsh it may seem, is not yet proven, is not that good - which is why I'm not sure there is great substance in this although they gave Clark his chance?

Still might get reading up I suppose the fluky gits! But just cannot see a premier league club taking a gamble. Like you say he can get clubs up quite well and that is his best bet of getting a crack at the premier league, but most managers do not get long to prove they have what it takes. Palace, Cardiff, saints last season, reading last season..... I would like to see him with a club like WBA to see what he is made of, for this season and next, as they will stay up.

With Reading it is a team that were relegated from the premier league, which they got into out of nowhere. Now they are not good enough and the place does not have the same buzz as it had at here.

Reading are just one point of the playoffs and after the run of injuries they have had that is remarkable.

Some on here think it should be easy to bounce back to the prem after relegation.... But it clearly isnt

Of the 61 teams that have been relegated from the Premier League in the last 20 seasons, only 15 have managed to come straight back up the following season. That would suggest, that roughly speaking your team has about a 25% chance of coming straight back up.

Reading lost over 20 players in the summer and spent nearly nothing, to be close to the playoffs is superb imho

Reading are just one point of the playoffs and after the run of injuries they have had that is remarkable.

Some on here think it should be easy to bounce back to the prem after relegation.... But it clearly isnt

Of the 61 teams that have been relegated from the Premier League in the last 20 seasons, only 15 have managed to come straight back up the following season. That would suggest, that roughly speaking your team has about a 25% chance of coming straight back up.

Reading lost over 20 players in the summer and spent nearly nothing, to be close to the playoffs is superb imho

Umm, they may have lost 20 players over the entire club - but only 5 of those were relevant to the first team. Can you name the 20 please? Ta.

The general mood with Reading fans is that they've had enough of him, things aren't changing and they're not doing well enough.

It doesn't take much to be near the playoffs in the championship at this stage of the season.

He was great for us and will go down in Southampton history, but to say he's done well at Reading is utterly misguided and wrong.

Umm, they may have lost 20 players over the entire club - but only 5 of those were relevant to the first team. Can you name the 20 please? Ta.

The general mood with Reading fans is that they've had enough of him, things aren't changing and they're not doing well enough.

It doesn't take much to be near the playoffs in the championship at this stage of the season.

He was great for us and will go down in Southampton history, but to say he's done well at Reading is utterly misguided and wrong.

Exactly this. And considering that GS has continuously derided Pochettino for not being able to manage through an injury crisis, I'm surprised he's using that as an excuse for Nige. Nige is a good League 1 and Championship manager, but is no better imho than Warnock, McDermott, Poyet or McCarthy, and they have all pretty much failed at Premiership level (Poyet- the jury is out).

West Brom should be after Dyche if they want an excellent manager to deal with small resources.

Exactly this. And considering that GS has continuously derided Pochettino for not being able to manage through an injury crisis, I'm surprised he's using that as an excuse for Nige. Nige is a good League 1 and Championship manager, but is no better imho than Warnock, McDermott, Poyet or McCarthy, and they have all pretty much failed at Premiership level (Poyet- the jury is out).

West Brom should be after Dyche if they want an excellent manager to deal with small resources.

Because Sean Dyche is definitely not going to turn out like Adkins, McDermott, Warnock, Coyle and all the rest. Of course not.

No, Sean Dyche is the real deal, honest.