Cortese to go?

Bewildered

If he leaves we will probably be sold and I would imagine there would be a number of buyers. We will be left still in the prem so a much better position than previously. Saints are bigger than any one person and it's just another dip in the roller coaster that is supporting saints.

If we are going to get these little tantrum "i quit" stories every transfer window when the owners wont sanction Nicola's lavish spending then im voting for a change.

Yeah, considering that it appears he has created a dynamic at the club where the player's loyalty is to Nicola Cortese as opposed to Southampton Football Club.

He really has. Only the blind cannot see this. The players would be scrambling over themselves to move on - the good ones who could easily move to better clubs anyway.

But there must be reasons for the timing and sources of these stories...

Yup. We'd be royally fecked.

In what sense? In league one with minus ten we were royally fecked. If Cortese leaves we will still be in the prem, still have a number of assets and still get parachute payments if we go down. We may get relegated again but we will get another owner and survive (which didn't look likely before the liebherrs showed up). This was always going to happen at some point.

Why would we be ****ed? We'd only be ****ed it the club had to be sold. If we still had the funding behind us then it'd make no effect, apart from Pochettino leaving.

Why would we be automatically ****ed if the club was sold? The club wouldn't be sold to no-one, it'll be sold to someone and it is an attractive investment for anyone looking to buy a club in the most high profile sports league in the world.

Ben Smith is one of those journalists the club works with on things. That they are using him with this story makes me think they don't mind this story being 'out there'. I'll wait and see what happens but even if there is some credibility to the story that Ben Smith is involved in the story suggests to me that there may be ulterior motives.

I do get where you're coming from there, I do have that little feeling that we're using the media somewhat...but the only thing that makes me question it this time, is that it's the 2nd time......and there is obviously something genuine in it.

Why would we be automatically ****ed if the club was sold? The club wouldn't be sold to no-one, it'll be sold to someone and it is an attractive investment for anyone looking to buy a club in the most high profile sports league in the world.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agree...

Just a thought - could it be that the Liebherrs want to cash in on their investment with some valuable players (£30m for Shaw - excuse the pun), but Nicola said over my dead body?

Would pobably be wiser to put the club out for sale if they want their investments back at this point.

Just a thought - could it be that the Liebherrs want to cash in on their investment with some valuable players (£30m for Shaw - excuse the pun), but Nicola said over my dead body?

More likely to be that we've reached the milestone, we're now a top 10 club and we've hit the ceiling as such. Without substantial continuous investment we won't extend that ceiling, so it may be that he now thinks this is the time to leave, whilst we're on the up and the club is in the most attractive position to sell. And being able to move back to Italy to chair one of the biggest clubs in world football, is probably too good an opportunity to turn down.

At the end of the day, he always makes the right calls. So if he does go, you'd have to trust him that it was the right thing at the right time.

Seedorf is new manager at AC Milan

Oh, ok, I hadn't heard that. It wouldn't necessarily prevent a new chairman bringing in a new manager though would it, regardless of how recently the current one had been appointed? New broom, etc...

More likely to be that we've reached the milestone, we're now a top 10 club and we've hit the ceiling as such. Without substantial continuous investment we won't extend that ceiling, so it may be that he now thinks this is the time to leave, whilst we're on the up and the club is in the most attractive position to sell. And being able to move back to Italy to chair one of the biggest clubs in world football, is probably too good an opportunity to turn down.

At the end of the day, he always makes the right calls. So if he does go, you'd have to trust him that it was the right thing at the right time.

Yeah this is probably the most likely scenario. We could very well finish lower next season without big investment so Nicola's achievements could look less impressive.

I do get where you're coming from there, I do have that little feeling that we're using the media somewhat...but the only thing that makes me question it this time, is that it's the 2nd time......and there is obviously something genuine in it.

There could be, but then, why make it so public at this stage of the season? Why not recruit his replacement privately and deal with it in a private manner? One day Cortese will move on but in the space of a few weeks we've gone from a Ben Smith article praising Cortese for everything at Southampton to a news piece saying he could be on his way. For me, this is another bout of public posturing by Cortese - we just need to find out what his objective is. Does he want a better salary? Does he want more money for transfers? Is he trying to scare the owners a bit because he has heard they may replace him?

I would be thoroughly disappointed in him if he was leaking genuine information about his future to the press. He should know what impact this has on the club and to do it with half a season remaining is very stupid and he isn't a stupid man. For that reason I think there is an ulterior motive - and that this has happened with a few weeks of the transfer window remaining may not be a coincidence.

Selling players and taking money out would lower the all over value of the club and if they´re in for the money the big value is in the complete package, dont you think?

But as Everton found it can be difficult to sell a club for multiple millions. Many clubs sell for a cut price to get the deal done. Selling Shaw would give them 30 million immediately.

There could be, but then, why make it so public at this stage of the season? Why not recruit his replacement privately and deal with it in a private manner? One day Cortese will move on but in the space of a few weeks we've gone from a Ben Smith article praising Cortese for everything at Southampton to a news piece saying he could be on his way. For me, this is another bout of public posturing by Cortese - we just need to find out what his objective is. Does he want a better salary? Does he want more money for transfers? Is he trying to scare the owners a bit because he has heard they may replace him?

I would be thoroughly disappointed in him if he was leaking genuine information about his future to the press. He should know what impact this has on the club and to do it with half a season remaining is very stupid and he isn't a stupid man. For that reason I think there is an ulterior motive - and that this has happened with a few weeks of the transfer window remaining may not be a coincidence.

Bit amateurish to use the same tactics as last year. I wonder if there is any substance to it this time.

But as Everton found it can be difficult to sell a club for multiple millions. Many clubs sell for a cut price to get the deal done. Selling Shaw would give them 30 million immediately.

Sure it isn´t easy but still my opinion on it.

Dont even know if it´s possible to take money out of the club that easily though by just selling a player and then withdraw it from an account.....laws and all that..

I hope if he does go there isn't a bunch of fannies on here saying that's the end of the club. Yes it is potentially bad from quite a few perspectives but life goes on. In ten years time we may be onto a completely new chapter with some other kind benefactor. We could of course implode and be stuck Down with the skates but that's the beauty and unpredictability of football.

I'm sure that if Cortese went then Kathrina would also go. Why would she stay? She had no connection to the club if Cortese goes?

Would Pochettino go? Yes probably. He's been made promises which the club wouldn't be able to fulfill and you always hear Pochettino say he loves it here because he shares the vision with the chairman.

Would our players leave? Yes probably IMO. They've been brought in by Cortese and love playing under Pochetttino. Rumours from inside have always said how much the players like Cortese and how good he has always been to them.

So yes, I think it would be catastrophic if he left. My personal opinion anyway!

Maybe he feels like his work is done, five year plan and all that. He has taken us from the brink of disaster and we are now a solid premier league side. Maybe even he realises that getting to the next level isn't achievable in the short term. I get the feeling there is some truth to this story. He's proved himself here, and maybe just fancies a new challenge elsewhere.

I can agree with some of the people saying we will be f**ked if he goes.. It will lead to a period of unknowns and instability.. players and manager will probably go. That can't be good. That is how pivotal this man is to the club. Probably shouldn't have got into a position where the Exec Chairman is the person we fear leaving the club the most.

I also just have a huge fear that if he does go - with it being saints that the next lot will be a bunch of clowns and this incredible upward climb we are on will go downhill very quickly.

@SimonPeach: Nicola Cortese considering leaving #SaintsFC... again, according to outlets remarkably similar to the story from last summer.

@SimonPeach: Would be surprised not to see the same outlandish statements then recommitments from all parties & big-money acquisitions.

Bit amateurish to use the same tactics as last year. I wonder if there is any substance to it this time.

The trouble with using the media, and the threat of leaving, to negotiate your position, whether its for money or power, is that eventually the owners will accept the resignation.

I think this was eventually the case with Clough at Derby where he had threatened to throw toys out again, and was probably surprised when the chairman accepted. I'm not sure the Liebherr's will continually cave in to 'demands'. What they choose to do if NC walks is of course the worry.

@SimonPeach: Nicola Cortese considering leaving #SaintsFC... again, according to outlets remarkably similar to the story from last summer.

@SimonPeach: Would be surprised not to see the same outlandish statements then recommitments from all parties & big-money acquisitions.

85592.jpg

Bit amateurish to use the same tactics as last year.

The PR people employed by the club have a history of regurgitating stories and tactics. This latest one doesn't surprise me in the slightest and I expect the same outcome (as mentioned above) - everyone "happily resolves their differences and moves forward as one".

Move along now, nothing to see here.

Was a 5 year plan, it will be 5 years in summer. Everything has got better year in year. If we want to improve again ie 6th-4th it will take a load of money ie 100 million. Do the liebherrs really have that commitment? Probably not. We will see.

What's to say we don't get a chairman to take us to the next level? By July Cortese will have gone from the greatest chairman who ever lived to a clueless, midget wop who looked like a little boy pretending to do his dad's job.

Could well happen. Personally I'm pretty relaxed since Tbh I expected him to leave a season or two ago. He will probably leave at some point in the next few years and the club will continue and I will still be able to watch them que sera sera.

Bad news and hope the issues whatever they may be can be resolved quickly. Obviously something in this, but at the end of the day he was never going to stay forever. Just hope the keys would be handed over to a decent figurehead and potential owners.

if this is the end he has done a great job.

And a reminder of the closing paragraphs of Ben Smith's Cortese article last month...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25420261

Were Cortese to leave in the future, Pochettino would follow suit and many of the club's leading players would also question their future. The club's success is the realisation of Cortese's vision. Pochettino would be the first to deflect any suggestions that this season is down to him.

For now, Southampton's project remains very much on course. As long, as the chairman remains at the helm, anything is possible.

So the question now is not whether Southampton can hang on to Pochettino, but whether they can keep Cortese.

Edited by trousers

This.