Open letter to supporters of Southampton Football Club from Katharina Liebherr

Saint-Armstrong

After some of the negative comments on here I was expecting Katharina Liebherr to look like Angela Merkel. I was pleasantly surprised by the picture doing the rounds and feel strangely attracted to the 36 year old billionaire who owns my club......

depends which picture you've seen really, the one from about 3 years ago or the one that was put up on some thread or other last week. There looks to be a massive difference, say 3 or 4 stone or so.

So we've already 'Hockey' guy in the frame and also had a director appointed and then fired 24 hours later and not so much of squeak from anyone on here......Now, if Cortese or even Lowe had done something similar, this place would have been in meltdown.

This is exactly the type of potential new business acumen (the 24 hour directorship) that's given me a little cause for concern and suspect holds a clue to the reason a perfectionist like Cortese upped and walked........Time to hold on to yer hats peeps.

As for the Boiler plate statement. The loudest part, was the bit that wasn't there.....'long term commitment'....So don't be surprised to see no spending and a mass exodus in the summer and the Club sold within the year.

Yep... Yet this is considered 'negative'.... Funny how for some you just need to 'communicate' with fans and it's enough ... Without really considering what the communication contains or lacks. This is not some attack or negativity towards KL. I hope and wish she does a great jib. But she is perfectly entitled to sell and do as she pleases with her property. Only thing is, what she does may not please me. I won't hate her for it, it's is ONLY football after all and there are far more important hints in life... But there is nothing in that letter to suggest she wants to be he long term and challenge the established order... And that to me was what NC brought in spades.

I hope I am wrong, but sadly suspect I and a few others may be right on this.

But there is nothing in that letter to suggest she wants to be he long term and challenge the established order... And that to me was what NC brought in spades.

If we're being absolutely literal about it, there was nothing in the letter to suggest ANYTHING about the long term. So any conclusions drawn are entirely done so based on the readers interpretation and bias.

It's right to point that out, as indeed I did, but how you then choose to interpret it is down to personal outlook rather than any further factual analysis.

If we're being absolutely literal about it, there was nothing in the letter to suggest ANYTHING about the long term. So any conclusions drawn are entirely done so based on the readers interpretation and bias.

It's right to point that out, as indeed I did, but how you then choose to interpret it is down to personal outlook rather than any further factual analysis.

c

which I stated in my previous post... Point is the letter means nothing.... It's standard stuff, nice, sure, but we simply dot know whether it will be better worse or a continuation.... And gut feel is that even if she decides to hold on, it will be more about nice stability than challenging expectations... Many I guess will be happy with that... Which I feel is a shame.

which I stated in my previous post... Point is the letter means nothing.... It's standard stuff' date=' nice, sure, but we simply dot know whether it will be better worse or a continuation.... And gut feel is that even if she decides to hold on, it will be more about nice stability than challenging expectations... Many I guess will be happy with that... Which I feel is a shame.[/quote']

Fair enough - so let's make sure we separate the content of the letter, and our interpretation of it.

The conclusions being drawn by George and some others are negative, there's no denying that. They are absolutely entitled to those opinions and they may well be right, just as those who feel positive about the statement are entitled to feel positive. All feelings based on personal interpretation. So why not call them as they are and stand by them?

Give it a rest eh guys?

The statement reads well and is certainly a welcome one after a period of uncertainty. I think the optimism that arguably most people feel as a result is great, and entirely understandable... nobody is 'falling' for anything, or being duped as some have intimated... it is a positive response to a positive statement, and only by interpreting it with personal assumptions and doubts does it become less so.

Of course no one knows for certain what will happen in the future and I personally think that it IS feasible that KL is preparing the club to be sold at some point in the future... but that might actually be a positive thing. It may be that she recognises that the best thing for the club might be to allow an owner with a greater interest to take the club forwards, and she wants to prepare us as best as possible for that by putting a strong management team in place. She doesn't just want to get shot, she may feel that the best thing for the club is to sell, but only to the right people, for our sake.

That said, my personal opinion is that she wants to stay and build on her fathers legacy.

EITHER way, the most important thing is that it seems she cares about the club about its future, whoever owns it. Given that she is the one in total control, that is the most important thing just now and so her comments about the fans and about the history and tradition etc, are important for us to know that she takes us and the club seriously.

I've got no problem with those who are being cautious about the statement. Given our history, it's might be quite sensible, although I liken it somewhat to a person not committing to a relationship for fear of getting hurt, just like before... how about we give her the benefit of any doubt, have a little faith in her and see what happens? We might be even better off as a result.

Those wanting specific assurances about signings or other things were always going to be disappointed... those are specific strategies which any business would keep close to it's chest IMO. What we got however was about as much as I think we can hope for just now, whilst the restructuring takes place.

Let's be optimistic. And if you want help with that, just keep looking at that lot down the road... :D

Minty - you really haven't got the point of this forum at least for a significant minority of the posters. As usual yours is a reasonable balanced interpretation. Thanks for reminding me that there are some Saints supporters out there capable of rational thought.

Katharina is really on a hiding to nothing with some of our fans. She promises that the Club will now be run on a more open basis and in the best interests of the Club, its staff, the players and the fans.

Her making this statement soon after Cortese's departure and following up with information about the appointment of an interim CEO already distinguishes her control of the Club from that of Cortese, as his modus operandi was to appear aloof and secretive towards the fanbase, who hardly ever knew what was happening until they read it on the official site. And yet despite her openness receiving plaudits from the majority who see it as a refreshing change, there are those who aren't content because they do not have the fine detail and choose to put a sinister slant on her intentions. Cortese had ambitions for us to play in the European Champions League and those ambitions have been financed by Katharina since her father's death. Now, because she has not come out and said specifically that those ambitions still remain, some suspect that she does not share them. Not only that, but it is concluded that mid-table mediocrity is acceptable to her.

Some people really do have fertile imaginations which are working overtime at times like these. Katharina Liebherr has been a reclusive personality up to now, but all of a sudden, based on a short statement and the first of a few appointments, these posters are able to make snap judgements about her future plans for the Club.

It has only been one week since the bombshell announcement was made that Cortese was gone. Following that announcement there was a feeding frenzy in the media about how the manager would leave, the best players would leave, the club was going to be sold, as Katharina Liebherr had no interest in it. Now on the face of it, all of that speculative conjecture has proven to have little or no foundation and thankfully those on here that went into meltdown are now reduced to nit-picking the minutiae for some subtle nuance in the announcements and appointments that might support their position. One suspects that some like to express the contrary position just on the off-chance that the time might come when they can say "I told you so".

As far as I'm concerned, the dust is already settling on the seismic revelations of last week and the ensuing statements leave me encouraged that not a lot will change, apart from the distinct possibility that we the fans will be given much more consideration towards the way that we are treated by the Club. Unless I'm mistaken, our importance to the Club as its supporters will be recognised and acknowledged more than under the Cortese regime, so that in itself might yet be a cause for celebration.

As for the longer term repercussions, in the absence of a crystal ball we will all have to wait and see how it all unfolds. Life is too short to worry about things that may or may not not happen in the future.

Katharina is really on a hiding to nothing with some of our fans.

TBF many of our fans and many posters on here are idiots who bought into the CL bullsh*t so it's no wonder that under developed brains can't quite grasp what's happening.

Many, being dumb, imagined that we'd be spending 10s of millions every transfer window in our new improved giant shiny stadium.

TBF many of our fans and many posters on here are idiots who bought into the CL bullsh*t so it's no wonder that under developed brains can't quite grasp what's happening.

Many, being dumb, imagined that we'd be spending 10s of millions every transfer window in our new improved giant shiny stadium.

Please dont call mopo dumb

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2444164/Mauricio-Pochettino-Forget-Europa-League-Southampton-want-Champions-League.html

frog-kermit.gif

Amen.

What's happening here is akin to a seven year old ninety minutes after a birthday party.

The massive post sugar-rush comedown as these people try to adjust to a reality where they their club isn't actually on an unstoppable march to becoming a European megapower.

The end result is the same: tantrums.

Give it a rest eh guys?

The statement reads well and is certainly a welcome one after a period of uncertainty. I think the optimism that arguably most people feel as a result is great, and entirely understandable... nobody is 'falling' for anything, or being duped as some have intimated... it is a positive response to a positive statement, and only by interpreting it with personal assumptions and doubts does it become less so.

Of course no one knows for certain what will happen in the future and I personally think that it IS feasible that KL is preparing the club to be sold at some point in the future... but that might actually be a positive thing. It may be that she recognises that the best thing for the club might be to allow an owner with a greater interest to take the club forwards, and she wants to prepare us as best as possible for that by putting a strong management team in place. She doesn't just want to get shot, she may feel that the best thing for the club is to sell, but only to the right people, for our sake.

That said, my personal opinion is that she wants to stay and build on her fathers legacy.

EITHER way, the most important thing is that it seems she cares about the club about its future, whoever owns it. Given that she is the one in total control, that is the most important thing just now and so her comments about the fans and about the history and tradition etc, are important for us to know that she takes us and the club seriously.

I've got no problem with those who are being cautious about the statement. Given our history, it's might be quite sensible, although I liken it somewhat to a person not committing to a relationship for fear of getting hurt, just like before... how about we give her the benefit of any doubt, have a little faith in her and see what happens? We might be even better off as a result.

Those wanting specific assurances about signings or other things were always going to be disappointed... those are specific strategies which any business would keep close to it's chest IMO. What we got however was about as much as I think we can hope for just now, whilst the restructuring takes place.

Let's be optimistic. And if you want help with that, just keep looking at that lot down the road... :D

Many thanks for excellent post.:)

The vast majority of posters on this forum and most fans are still very optimistic about our direction and full support to those now leading SFC.

I still wonder what a few of the same old posters on this forum really want for Southampton Football Club....miserable sods.

COYS:):):)

Amen.

What's happening here is akin to a seven year old ninety minutes after a birthday party.

The massive post sugar-rush comedown as these people try to adjust to a reality where they their club isn't actually on an unstoppable march to becoming a European megapower.

Have never said anything about the Champions League or a shiny new stadium but I have enjoyed a long period of stability, two promotions, an excellent evolving squad who are now more than a match for anyone in the league with some excellent young players coming through and a chance of seeing at least one of our own play for England in the WC. We also have an excellent young manager. Nothing dumb in pointing towards the absence of a person who over saw it all and having reservations about the people running the show and their ability to keep it all together.

Have never said anything about the Champions League or a shiny new stadium but I have enjoyed a long period of stability, two promotions, an excellent evolving squad who are now more than a match for anyone in the league with some excellent young players coming through and a chance of seeing at least one of our own play for England in the WC. We also have an excellent young manager. Nothing dumb in pointing towards the absence of a person who over saw it all and having reservations about the people running the show and their ability to keep it all together.

but he was just a weasel

Many thanks for excellent post.:)

The vast majority of posters on this forum and most fans are still very optimistic about our direction and full support to those now leading SFC.

I still wonder what a few of the same old posters on this forum really want for Southampton Football Club....miserable sods.

COYS:):):)

No we love our club just as much as you do but simply put we know our current limitations and know exactly whats needed to pursue the dream they purport, money thats all nothing more nothing less, without it we are not going anywhere, same with Liebherr and it was with Cortese as such, thats all, a couple of wins over the nig boys does not make us gush as we fully understand what is needed to get into and maintain a consistent European challenge, money and lots of it.

We are not that different merely we know our boundaries, you dont like it that they have been pointed out, its nothing to do with support or getting behond the team, I would love to be wrong but the World is a cynical cold and shiit house place and business only functions on money nothing more.

Good post.

Maybe not.

But there has been plenty of hysterical doom mongering on here, and also some ridiculous abuse of the person whose patronage made it all happen. Not you, but some.

Prior to that a culture of arrogant entitlement was prevalent on the forum, with "Champions League or nothing" and a belief that we were destined for the top four. Not you but some.

If we live on a planet where the chairman - the chairman! - of a provincial football club becomes a irepplaceable godhead, then I dispair of humanity.

And what if we don't "keep it together"? What then?

We finish, thirteenth? Sixteenth? Gosh.

We go down to the Championship? What then?

Tell you what I'd do. Support the club. Part of the brilliant joutney.Not pine after some rat faced pr i ck in a suit.

No we love our club just as much as you do but simply put we know our current limitations and know exactly whats needed to pursue the dream they purport, money thats all nothing more nothing less, without it we are not going anywhere, same with Liebherr and it was with Cortese as such, thats all, a couple of wins over the nig boys does not make us gush as we fully understand what is needed to get into and maintain a consistent European challenge, money and lots of it.

We are not that different merely we know our boundaries, you dont like it that they have been pointed out, its nothing to do with support or getting behond the team, I would love to be wrong but the World is a cynical cold and shiit house place and business only functions on money nothing more.

Problem with you mate....you go on and on :mcinnes:

continually running the club down..supporters and posters on this forum.

Supporter of Saints:rolleyes:

If you really are a supporter of Saints....very strange way of going about it....

In your various different guises nothing but piiiish taking..like a few others WUM:p

Sorry mate you bore me to tears.

Edited by ottery st mary
spellin

Amen.

' Adjusting to reality' Listen at yer ! Your having a laff.

Most of us had our feet planted firmly on the ground. In fact I am happy just to see us stay in the Premier league, just like the old days. We had 27 years as fighting for our lives as the underdog and I loved it !

If Katharina's ambition is to see us as a stable mid table club I would say wow ! And if we could get 27 years in the top league I would be incredulous !

We are more likely to be a 'yoyo' club and set up carefully we can be a successful 'yoyo' club, fighting for our place on the top table and giving the big boys the odd 'bloody nose'.

If you really are a supporter of Saints....very strange way of going about it....

In your various different guises nothing but piiiish taking..like a few others WUM:p

I dont run anybody down, go and find where I run someone down or abuse them? You shall find I am always polite to people, your blind optimism is fine but its blind, reality for me as opposed to a something akin to religion.

' Adjusting to reality' Listen at yer ! Your having a laff.

Most of us had our feet planted firmly on the ground. In fact I am happy just to see us stay in the Premier league, just like the old days. We had 27 years as fighting for our lives as the underdog and I loved it !

If Katharina's ambition is to see us as a stable mid table club I would say wow ! And if we could get 27 years in the top league I would be incredulous !

We are more likely to be a 'yoyo' club and set up carefully we can be a successful 'yoyo' club, fighting for our place on the top table and giving the big boys the odd 'bloody nose'.

So by that we are downgrading expectations? I am fine with that as I knew amongst others exactly where we could go, Cortese, the board and fans did not.

So by that we are downgrading expectations? I am fine with that as I knew amongst others exactly where we could go, Cortese, the board and fans did not.

Being honest, I don't like the idea of downgrading expectations, although can see your view they werent ever realistic.

The high expectations of the last few years has been one of the best aspects of it.

What is bizarre is that people won't admit the expectations/ambitions will have been downsized.

What is bizarre is that people won't admit the expectations/ambitions will have been downsized.

For a lot of people expectations haven't been downsized. They're still the same; try and finish as high as possible, with a Europa Cup place the realistic limit to that expectation. Have an ambition to qualify for the CL but have a healthy realisation that that's extremely unlikely to happen. I expect exactly the same of Saints now than I did a month ago. Take the Liebherr involvement away and that's when I really will look at re-assessing expectations and ambitions.

Maybe not.

But there has been plenty of hysterical doom mongering on here, and also some ridiculous abuse of the person whose patronage made it all happen. Not you, but some.

Prior to that a culture of arrogant entitlement was prevalent on the forum, with "Champions League or nothing" and a belief that we were destined for the top four. Not you but some.

If we live on a planet where the chairman - the chairman! - of a provincial football club becomes a irepplaceable godhead, then I dispair of humanity.

Tell you what I'd do. Support the club. Part of the brilliant joutney.Not pine after some rat faced pr i ck in a suit.

Exactly. Some of the stuff on this thread is really quite depressing.

The Liebherrs have brought financial stability and serious investment to the club. But there's sometimes a fine line between investment and financial doping - and the problem with doping or the offer of it ('top 4', Champions League) is that it's addictive, including for us. Pull it away - not the investment, just the slogans, with their excruciating hidden costs, that were feeding the addiction - and you get the bleating and whining you'd expect of a user.

Yet the funny thing is the club hasn't gone cold turkey. The same family who pulled us out of the crap is still here, saying they want the club to be a more pleasant place, that no one's for sale and the manager is fully supported. The Liebherrs themselves didn't try to change the culture of the club. Even after Cortese, and with a few adjustments, we're still pretty much the same club we always were, with its decades-long commitment to youth development - even the stadium is still close to where it all started.

If KL stays, I'd be happy. If not, onwards and upwards, sideways or down - who knows? That's the wonder of being a football fan.

Maybe not.

This pervasive CL or nothing talk really is a figment of your puny imagination - even at the height of this season, outside a few desultory and ritualistic clichés about daring to dream, even the most bullish on here claimed they would snap peoples hand off for a top 6-7 finish.

Ridiculous abuse? A lone remark about salad dodging, a p i$$ poor attempt at wit, perhaps in your honour, that's it.

What about destiny? Perhaps I'm missing something when it has been recognised that the ambitions you claim are possible but unlikely. "Possible but unlikely" -rousing stuff- no doubt a line that peppers the Communist Manifesto and the Declaration of Independence.

So keep looking but dont exert yourself for your own sake, pal.

One swivel-eyed man and his rabid dog doesn't count.

Edited by shurlock

This pervasive CL or nothing talk really is a figment of your puny imagination - even at the height of this season, outside a few desultory and ritualistic clichés about daring to dream, even the most bullish on here claimed they would snap peoples hand off for a top 6-7 finish.

Ridiculous abuse? A lone remark about salad dodging, a p i$$ poor attempt at wit, perhaps in your honour, that's it.

What about destiny? Perhaps I'm missing something when it has been recognised that the ambitions you claim are possible but unlikely. "Possible but unlikely" -rousing stuff- no doubt a line that peppers the Communist Manifesto and the Declaration of Independence.

So keep looking but dont exert yourself for your own sake, pal.

One swivel-eyed man and his rabid dog doesn't count.

Cortese and Poch saying we were aiming to get in the Champions League is now a figment of my puny imagination?

I'd post a link up but can't be bothered because we all know they said it.

You've excelled yourself Strawlock. Just when someone couldn't be more wrong.

Cortese and Poch saying we were aiming to get in the Champions League is now a figment of my puny imagination?

I'd post a link up but can't be bothered because we all know they said it.

You've excelled yourself Strawlock. Just when someone couldn't be more wrong.

Either you're 1) plain thick or 2) just disingenuous - I'm not sure. I know what Cortese, Poch and indeed Boruc said, that's neither here nor there. We're talking about the mood on here, the CL mania that's supposedly gripped the place.

Strawlock? Enlighten me what that means? I guess it's some pony-fiddlers argot you use in deepest Hampshire.

Reminds me I go with 1).

Edited by shurlock

I said it elsewhere but people need to separate what was actually said in the statement from their interpretation of it.

There are plenty of comments from some people that indicate that someone else would be 'stupid' to not see things the same way as they do. That's just pathetic. We're all (over-)interpreting it to fit our own outlook and opinion, which is entirely normal, but just make sure you realise that and don't criticise others because they see it a different way.

Facts are we know nothing about what will transpire yet. Experience from the commercial world would indicate that the appointment of a CFO as interim CEO is not particularly unknown or in itself a need to worry, but again, we simply don't know the long term intentions yet.

So by all means debate (capable of that?) what might happen, but leave the judgements out because there is nothing to judge against yet, and probably won't be for some time.

Strawlock? Enlighten me what that means? I guess it's some pony-fiddlers argot you use in deepest Hampshire.

Weird use of the skate phraseology? Very strange choice of words from a Saints fans.

Plenty on here believed in Cortese's vision, ergo believed in us achieving the Champions League dream.

i made enquiries on this previously cos i wasn't sure either. I thought it could be:

a) straw cos you have head of straw, like scarecrow in Wizard of Oz who was in need of brains.

b) cos of making straw man arguments

c) cos of clutching at straws

d) straw cos they would like to suck you off like a straw that you suck on to obtain delicious McDonald's thickshake

Turkish said it was option b)

Edit - just to confirm none of the above agree with my opinions, i find you valued + erudite contributor. However if you is interest in option d) contact me pm

Edited by Bearsy

I'm pretty sure the mongboard view as to why we didn't play a strong side at Sunderland in the league cup was because the competition was beneath us and it would risk injuries for our push for the top 4. 'Champions league or nothing' was indeed a quote used. I'm some helmets on here will have memorised posts word for word and be trawling the internet to find a post which vaguely suggests this wasn't the case.

Weird use of the skate phraseology? Very strange choice of words from a Saints fans.

Plenty on here believed in Cortese's vision, ergo believed in us achieving the Champions League dream.

One doesn't follow the other.

Some liked Cortese's vision for the mindset it represented when we've been accustomed to defeatism and mediocrity. Some even believed that he would improve us further - top 6 perhaps.

But did plenty believe we're destined for the top four or develop an arrogant attitude of CL or nothing? That's CB Fry b*****ks.

I'm pretty sure the mongboard view as to why we didn't play a strong side at Sunderland in the league cup was because the competition was beneath us and it would risk injuries for our push for the top 4. 'Champions league or nothing' was indeed a quote used. I'm some helmets on here will have memorised posts word for word and be trawling the internet to find a post which vaguely suggests this wasn't the case.

:lol:

How are you doing today, sir?

But did plenty believe we're destined for the top four or develop an arrogant attitude of CL or nothing? That's CB Fry b*****ks.

Hyperbole to make a point perhaps, but there were certainly some on here who even seemed to think the Europa League was beneath us. What over the last week has suggested we're now going to revert to a culture of "defeatism and mediocrity"?

Hyperbole to make a point perhaps, but there were certainly some on here who even seemed to think the Europa League was beneath us. What over the last week has suggested we're now going to revert to a culture of "defeatism and mediocrity"?

Hyperbole? You make it sound like its just said for dramatic effect.

Nothing to date has suggested that we'll revert back. Can only take KL's statement at face value as a positive bit of news and see what happens over the summer when actions speak louder than words.

Nothing to date has suggested that we'll revert back. Can only take KL's statement at face value as a positive bit of news and see what happens over the summer when actions speak louder than words.

Agree 100%.

So you agree, as things currently stand, not too much has changed and there is nothing to get too upset about? For what it's worth, I'd rather NC had stayed, but I believe Southampton FC is about much more than just "NC's own project" v "a culture of mediocrity and defeatism", lets just wait and see what the next 6 months hold. Edited by Sour Mash

Some liked Cortese's vision for the mindset it represented when we've been accustomed to defeatism and mediocrity. Some even believed that he would improve us further - top 6 perhaps.

This. It's about a change of philosophy driven by aspiration. Aspiration based on what is possible, not restricted by what is probable. Sport should never be about accepting your place in the pecking order no matter what... A place only dictated by a lack of imagination... NC represented that shift in mindset... In theory something most fans had been crying out for since Lowe refused to sign Saha and Malbranque.... And push on from 8th place... Funny how quickly some forget and change tack, depending on what the current popular consensus is to avoid the forum bully boys....

Drive, ambition, aspirational goals, whatever you call them are surely what differentiates a club from the bland. An acceptance that just being in the prem is good enough (forget Dalek's inexplicable trolling that continues to be tolerated by the mods) seems fine for some... Fair enough, we each have our own expectations/what we want fro being a fan... But for me that is no longer enough. Do not mistake this for walking away unless we achieve success.... It's not what what we achieve, but how seriously we TRY.

All I am hoping for is that drive and aspiration remains as strong and does not get lost amongst the desire to be a nice community club with stability at its core.... Therefore it's less about what we have gained in KL, and more about what we have potentially lost in NC.

So you agree, as things currently stand, not too much has changed and there is nothing to get too upset about? For what it's worth, I'd rather NC had stayed, but I believe Southampton FC is much more abour "NC's own project" v "a culture of mediocrity and defeatism", lets just wait and see what the next 6 months hold.

I'm possibly less relaxed about the uncertainty but otherwise I pretty much see things the same way as you.

Edited by shurlock

Can we get up some classic Champions League or Southampton destined for the big time posts, for reference of course as now these people I suspect think the same of Liebherr, time will tell whether the realists will be correct again but I suspect they will.

1) No more blue chip signings (they were crap and were veiled with insider trading but hey ho)

2) Investment from within, real politik for no more big crap players.

3) On youth as explained above.

4) Stability, well this is obvious no club would want to unstable.

5) Make the place more fun! This is childlike, you are at work and you are paid (very well) to do a job regardless of whether you are having a laugh, is she known for having a laugh?

My opinions from the piece so please shoot me down for it but please dont be nasty and use abusive language as I dont.

Wasting your time with this wum...looks like we are stuck with him, just like some poor unfortunate village as no one

wishes to do anything about it