Open letter to supporters of Southampton Football Club from Katharina Liebherr

Saint-Armstrong

is "decisions about the future of the club" meaning e.g. selling it?

It would include any future sale, yes. However, it is positive that such a decision will be with those interests to the fore.

It must also be noted that this does not mean they are actively looking to sell now - as they have already stated in recent days

If you look past this statement - you will see a woman who is from a very down to Earth and kind hearted family of extremely successful persons. Could it be that, having all the money in the world has become a little boring and she might want to not only be noticed for some personal success, but also have a bit of fun at the same time. I mean, running a football club is a dream job for most businessmen. Secondly, imagine someone else spending huge amounts of your money and then not letting you have a say. I have a feeling that things will be ok. COYR

You don't become a billionaire family by being nice and kind hearted. One of KL's first actions after inheriting the Mali business was to liquidate a small printing arm of the business costing 60 people their jobs after Marcus bailed them out and saved their jobs just a few months prior.

Certainly one interpretation.

Not a valid interpretation, though. Read the whole statement. Consider this: does this sound like a sincere, open-hearted, optimistic look to the future and an attempt to connect honestly with people: or is it a guarded, deceitful, fork-tongued attempt to fool everybody?

If you read it in context, it seems obvious to me.

"My priority now is to bring some stability and calm to the workings of the club; perhaps a few smiles too."

That sounds like corporate-speak to you?

"Off the pitch, my priority is to establish the proper running of the club at the top. I also have a strong team of advisers around me as we plan the way forwards. ... We are looking to the future with a determination to create a culture based on open communication, respect and hard work."

Does that sound like someone "on their bike" and ready to sell at the earliest opportunity?

I suggest you are reading her message with a cynical bias, rather than an open heart.

Not only me, apparently.

The optimist in me says great. The cynic says I hope it wasn't "you write something along those lines and I'll sign it off". I'd just like things to settle down again, focus on the team, get the injured back and finish the season off well.

You don't become a billionaire family by being nice and kind hearted. One of KL's first actions after inheriting the Mali business was to liquidate a small printing arm of the business costing 60 people their jobs after Marcus bailed them out and saved their jobs just a few months prior.

is "decisions about the future of the club" meaning e.g. selling it?

That said, now I've started quoting Bearsy, I suppose the argument has failed.

A very thoughtful in initiative that I for one appreciate very much. I also loved the sting tucked in amongst the prose... "a few smiles too". I alluded the other day to thaw fact that Marcus was alwya smiling and waving and we have missed that clear embrace of togetherness ever since.

"We are as one" etc was always meaningless Cortese-speak after Pardew & Adkins got the big heave-ho but more relevant to us was the disrespect shown to fans by never ever telling us anything about what was going on inside the club. Cortese's 'behind closed doors' really meant bolted tight, shuttered and triple locked.

I am lucky as my seat is very close to those of the board but in all Cortese's time here it is hard to recall a single occasion on which he actually looked into the faces of fans around him and smiled any sign of recognition or friendship even 'though all those fans had been in their same seats for every one of his five years.

If you look past this statement - you will see a woman who is from a very down to Earth and kind hearted family of extremely successful persons. Could it be that, having all the money in the world has become a little boring and she might want to not only be noticed for some personal success, but also have a bit of fun at the same time. I mean, running a football club is a dream job for most businessmen. Secondly, imagine someone else spending huge amounts of your money and then not letting you have a say. I have a feeling that things will be ok. COYR

if you read the statement carefully + look beyond the text it's clear that Kat is a warm hearted + generous person with a strong emphasis on family + personal integrity. Her personal ambitions are sometimes hampered by a natural reticence and reluctance to thrust herself forward, but they are there and they grow stronger. That is not to say she is weak though or afraid to wield the iron fist beneath the velvet glove where circumstances dictate. Her favourite colour is blue.

"My priority now is to bring some stability and calm to the workings of the club; perhaps a few smiles too."

That sounds like corporate-speak to you?

"Off the pitch, my priority is to establish the proper running of the club at the top. I also have a strong team of advisers around me as we plan the way forwards. ... We are looking to the future with a determination to create a culture based on open communication, respect and hard work."

Does that sound like someone "on their bike" and ready to sell at the earliest opportunity?

I suggest you are reading her message with a cynical bias, rather than an open heart.

Very much THIS. The wording is very clear.... though if you are only going to read between the lines, then you won't see what is written above and below

no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window.

Disappointing she specified that time period only, rather than just say that we won't be selling any first team players, like Cortese always did.

They'll all be off in the summer and she can't be accused of lying to us.

;)

Personally.,I am liking what K.L is saying very much indeed. NC for all his good work did polarise our clubs fantastic supporters. Let us all get behind the new team,being put in place, off the pitch and enjoy the next part of this fantastic journey. K.L, seems to have inherited her fathers decentness and fairness,perhaps, we can all support our owner, to the best of our abilities.

The optimist in me says great. The cynic says I hope it wasn't "you write something along those lines and I'll sign it off". I'd just like things to settle down again, focus on the team, get the injured back and finish the season off well.

This statement along with the fact Pochettino is staying, at least, until the end of the season, should be enough to steady the ship and get us across the finishing line. It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer though. I too noticed the statement is very carefully worded. So although at first glance its an encouraging read, it still leaves a lot of room for speculation.

Not only me, apparently.

That said, now I've started quoting Bearsy, I suppose the argument has failed.

Last week it was all doom and gloom from a vocal minority on here - those of the pessimistic, cynical persuasion - who insisted everything was about to collapse around us and the club was almost immediately going to be sold. There was no evidence at all for such a conclusion, but the usual suspects got themselves into such a lather that they started immediately into open insults against Ms. Leibherr.

Today's statement surely contradicts all of the "fear and loathing" being blathered last week. Try reading it with an open mind. Try taking an optimistic view. Go on, it won't hurt!

Miss Liebheer - as I've always said , do not underestimate her and her commitment to the project. Knowing someone who has actually spoken to her , all of the feedback is a warm caring person who wants to succeed in the "right" way.

Yes, yes, but what about that printing firm, eh? Eh? Eh?

It is possible to take tough decisions where necessary while also recognising that your staff will perform better if they are working in a pleasant environment

People are very easily pleased very words. Lets have a review in 6 months or so and see where we are.

Its not just words from a new owner, Katharina Liebherr has already owned the club for the last 41 months!

In those 41 months; over £75m spent on transfer fees, over £30m on infrastructure improvements at stadium/traiing ground/academy and the club has risen from the League 1 relegation zone to 9th in the Premier League. She has already delivered a lot for the club.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Can you just remind me what your position was when little Nicky was promising Champions League qualification with a team made up of 50% kids from the academy? Oh, and we're going to build a girt big 50,000 seat stadium an' all.

A man of your breeding clearly saw through that pie in the sky in no time.

Didn't you?

Must have the best chance of achieving all those things now with Kat, the Hockey coach and the Austrian agent pushing things forward.

Its just words from a new owner, Katharina Liebherr has already owned the club for the last 41 months!

In those 41 months; over £75m spent on transfer fees, over £30m on infrastructure improvements at stadium/traiing ground/academy and the club has risen from the League 1 relegation zone to 9th in the Premier League.

fuk me, you change your tune so much

the other day, it was all down to NC. now its KL?

lets see after the summer.

if we are still "on track" I assume we will spend AT LEAST £35m in the summer without taking into account ANY player sales.

if we sell shaw (which I think will happen)

I fully expect £45-50m spent......if we are staying on track etc

Must have the best chance of achieving all those things now with Kat, the Hockey coach and the Austrian agent pushing things forward.

Hardly. Big Kats walk proud. With feet on the ground.

Italian weasels can eff off. He can take some other provincial club to the Champions League if he can find another bottomless pit to leech off.

Blinking hell what more do some of you want from her? She sends out a message to the fans and people are basically still calling her a liar: oh she is only saying this or that but she doesn't really mean it.

What has changed since her fathers death until now? She has had plenty of time to sell the club if that was her intention before now, and having NC around wasn't as though he was frigging Superman warding off all attempts to stop her selling, and now he's been ousted she can now freely sell the club. She had this capability before now!

I hope now that the club is more friendly towards the fans as I always felt NC didn't give a toss about us, but to some that was acceptable as long as we were being fed by the press that things were being done the Southampton way, or was it the NC way.

I for one am grateful for this letter, do you think NC would ever even acknowledge us in such a way, he even classed his manager as just another head of department!

A very thoughtful initiative that I for one appreciate very much. I also loved the sting tucked in amongst the prose... "a few smiles too". I alluded the other day to thaw fact that Marcus was alwya smiling and waving and we have missed that clear embrace of togetherness ever since.

"We are as one" etc was always meaningless Cortese-speak after Pardew & Adkins got the big heave-ho but more relevant to us was the disrespect shown to fans by never ever telling us anything about what was going on inside the club. Cortese's 'behind closed doors' really meant bolted tight, shuttered and triple locked.

I am lucky as my seat is very close to those of the board but in all Cortese's time here it is hard to recall a single occasion on which he actually looked into the faces of fans around him and smiled any sign of recognition or friendship even 'though all those fans had been in their same seats for every one of his five years.

Strangely I find myself agreeing with you.....that's the second time this has happened in the past year :-D

fuk me, you change your tune so much

the other day, it was all down to NC. now its KL?

No I haven't, my point was that Katharina Liebherr has been the owner for the last 41 months and questioning why people are treating her as if she is new. Yes, new as the chair of the club, but her investment over those 41 months enabled Cortese to do his good work.

No I haven't, my point was that Liebherr has been the owner for the last 41 months and questioning why people are treating her as if she is new. Yes, new as the chair of the club, but her investment over those 41 months enabled Cortese to do his good work.

not once have you credited KL in the last 3 years of our rise back to the prem

not once

not once before the last week either

My first reaction was that there is nothing left to say/speculate about/worry about. Great letter that leaves me feeling a lot better about the future of our club.

But (sorry, there is always a "but" with me...)

it doesnt say a whole lot about the ambitions of the club, its more a "business as usual" status-quo type message. KL hasnt shared a lot of vision and drive with us in this message.

For now, it does the job on the label. Lets see what actions follow the words.

My first reaction was that there is nothing left to say/speculate about/worry about. Great letter that leaves me feeling a lot better about the future of our club.

it doesnt say a whole lot about the ambitions of the club, its more a "business as usual" status-quo type message. KL hasnt shared a lot of vision and drive with us in this message.

yes she has, she stated that the staff at SMS will smile a great deal more now. Will probably help us sign astori, no doubt

not once have you credited KL in the last 3 years of our rise back to the prem

not once

not once before the last week either

Umm, how do you know what I have or haven't done? Even if I haven't said it on this forum (and I think I probably have btw), doesn't mean I didn't think it. Both Katharina and Nicola deserve credit for the club's success.

Not entirely sure what it has got to do with breeding but I will humour you. I thought it was a load of old claptrap but at least it had some actual substance and wasn't a load of old PR mumbo jumbo about "unstinting support" and "open communication, respect and hard work".

You missed the "our dream is real" stuff then? The CD of a made up stadium?

Mumbo Jumbo'ed with the best of em did the rat faced little weasel.

I think this applies to you aswell...

Its not just words from a new owner, Katharina Liebherr has already owned the club for the last 41 months!

In those 41 months; over £75m spent on transfer fees, over £30m on infrastructure improvements at stadium/traiing ground/academy and the club has risen from the League 1 relegation zone to 9th in the Premier League. She has already delivered a lot for the club.