Open letter to supporters of Southampton Football Club from Katharina Liebherr

Saint-Armstrong

A very warm statement of intent and how nice for her to address it directly to us fans. Since the massive upheaval that the news of Cortese's departure caused, there had been the usual knee-jerk conjecture and speculation aided and abetted by the media. It is encouraging to see that as well as her recent rebuttals that have been reported in the more serious newspapers, we now have assurances from her ourselves. This statement of intent clarifies her commitment and underlines her original statement last week that it was "business as usual"

At the very least, it buries the supposition that she is looking to sell the club in the short term and accusations that have been made that she isn't interested in football might or might not be accurate, but at least she shows an interest in running the football business well. I'm particularly encouraged that it is promised that when there is further news or developments, we will be notified. Dare we hope that this openness will translate into a two-way dialogue between us and the board, so that anything positive and constructive that we propose as supporters will be viewed sympathetically? I'm talking here about the niggling little things that were introduced by Cortese which rankled with many of us and seemed to be a bit mean-spirited.

Very well delivered communication - said what was essentially needed without too much waffle. Time will tell in terms of her ability to maintain the momentum.

One possibility that nobody seems to consider is that KL is acting as an Executor to her Fathers will. Perhaps Marcus made clear provisions about how the club should be run and she is ensuring this is the case.

Yes, this is also something that is very possible, but we'll never know for sure.

a lot of people getting really excited and no doubt someone will say that it's nice to have a bit of communication out of the club as Cortese operated in almost complete silence. That said, she, has to deliver that upward trajectory now, not just say it... And I'm not sure the appointments she's got lined up will have the same single minded vision and drive Cortese had. For all hos faults and non communication, the guy delivered and not just any old suit could have done what he's done.

I think we're in for a few years of treading water with Uncle John heading up a board that will basically run by Katharina. We'll miss Cortese and probably leave us wondering what could have been. Sure, Williams will be far more personable but this is a stabilising appointment, not an ambitious one.. and the players will sense that too.

Edited by Crab Lungs

These continental types aren't averse to detailed, long-term planning and indeed see it as central to running a business. Hopefully as part of her commitment to open communication, she shares those ambitions with us.

If she doesn't, it won't be because they haven't been attended to or thought about.

Edited by shurlock

First of all I think this is a very positive statement that will hit the spot with most supporters.

We are unlikely to ever know but I would be very interested to learn who actually prepared the draft before Katharina signed it off.

Whoever they were it was a very good effort.

Without sounding like "I told you so", a few of us did say Cortese had no affect on the pitch and wasn't the one with the money so there wouldn't be much of a problem with him going. To those of you reacting like it was the end of the world..... I told you so.

These continental types aren't averse to detailed, long-term planning and indeed see it as central to running a business. Hopefully as part of her commitment to open communication, she shares those ambitions with us.

If she doesn't, it won't be because they haven't been attended to or thought about.

My company is already looking at and planning out to 2020 from an investment side of things - they are Swiss.

Nice statement that, I enjoy the little digs at the bits she obviously wasn't pleased about.

Still, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, the previous regime had some good ideas - I'd be completely in support of the next match programme not mentioning the previous incumbent of the Chair role at all, for instance. :D

She copied and pasted that from SISU. That's the EXACT same open letter they wrote to Coventry fans when they took over.

Difference in this case is Katharina has owned Southampton FC since 2010 and owned it during a period of a lot of success, good management and large investment in playing staff and infrastructure at the stadium, training ground and academy. Can the same be said of SISU at Coventry City?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Lets never forget that she is the daughter of the late, great ML. For that reason alone she deserves our support. Also, she is part of the family which has been bankrolling the whole operation at SMS since the takeover. This latest statement should further enhance our faith in Katharina. Happy times ahead I'm sure! Smiles already.

People are very easily pleased very words. Lets have a review in 6 months or so and see where we are.

I'm not easily pleased, as you know... but the tone, the intent and the indications that there will be a bit more inclusion in some of the decisions all indicate at the very least that the advisors are on the ball.

People are very easily pleased very words. Lets have a review in 6 months or so and see where we are.

A very sensible suggestion, this thread should eventually be put into Golden Threads for future reference if necessary.

It's all just words and wait and see for the time being as far as I'm concerned. I've heard it all before, sometimes it turned out better than others. I still remember Gray being the right man for the job.

Absolutely no indication of anything that has been printed in the press,eg up for sale or no interest in the club.

I wonder if the "few smiles" means we may be signing some players ?

I am a bit shocked tbh,Saints under NC would never come out with a update for the fans. KL and her advisors have handled this in the best possible way IMO,I hope they stick around and take us to the next level

I will no doubt get stick for this and while I believe it to be an excellently written statement some of it is definitely the words of her "strong team of advisors" with "tell the fans what they want to hear" being a prominent message. I don't think we can read too much into it but it's definitely refreshing to at least get a to the fans statement

I will no doubt get stick for this and while I believe it to be an excellently written statement some of it is definitely the words of her "strong team of advisors" with "tell the fans what they want to hear" being a prominent message. I don't think we can read too much into it but it's definitely refreshing to at least get a to the fans statement

You're right, Defo.

A lot are suckered in already and have made as judgement that this is for the best. We don't know either way yet but when a similar worded statement is released after the first player sale (they won't asset strip, but won't have the same hold over the players like NC) there'll be a few people feeling a bit duped

totally agree

Finally, let me say this. I will ensure that all decisions made about the future of the club will be in the best interests of its staff, players, management and fans and will be taken with the prime objective of honouring and maintaining the club's heritage and tradition in the Southampton way.

Translates as "we are for sale, but not to anyone"

Good news i guess

image.jpg

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

You're right, Defo.

A lot are suckered in already and have made as judgement that this is for the best. We don't know either way yet but when a similar worded statement is released after the first player sale (they won't asset strip, but won't have the same hold over the players like NC) there'll be a few people feeling a bit duped

I wont feel duped because players come and go that is football but I do care how my club has been run in a slightly unethical way where alternative ideas have been rejected things may now improve in that area

You're right, Defo.

Saints selling a footballer, eh?

How ever will we cope?

As i have already said, on the face of it this is a very encouraging statement from KL.......But as Saints fans we have all seen many false dawns and empty promises.....I will hope this statement is a true and positive intent.....but i'm not about to start shouting from the hill tops.....time is the only thing that will tell....and if the players buy into this statement of intent!

As i have already said, on the face of it this is a very encouraging statement from KL.......But as Saints fans we have all seen many false dawns and empty promises.....I will hope this statement is a true and positive intent.....but i'm not about to start shouting from the hill tops.....time is the only thing that will tell....and if the players buy into this statement of intent!

Yep.

It was exactly what many wanted to hear, that in itself makes me a little wary.

Edited by Colinjb

The optimist in me says great. The cynic says I hope it wasn't "you write something along those lines and I'll sign it off". I'd just like things to settle down again, focus on the team, get the injured back and finish the season off well.

Doesn't really say anything you wouldn't expect her to say, just sounds like corporate-speak to me. You could read it as "I'm here for the long term" or equally as "I'm on my bike, but will only flog it to someone nice."

"My priority now is to bring some stability and calm to the workings of the club; perhaps a few smiles too."

That sounds like corporate-speak to you?

"Off the pitch, my priority is to establish the proper running of the club at the top. I also have a strong team of advisers around me as we plan the way forwards. ... We are looking to the future with a determination to create a culture based on open communication, respect and hard work."

Does that sound like someone "on their bike" and ready to sell at the earliest opportunity?

I suggest you are reading her message with a cynical bias, rather than an open heart.