Open letter to supporters of Southampton Football Club from Katharina Liebherr

Saint-Armstrong

You missed the "our dream is real" stuff then? The CD of a made up stadium?

Mumbo Jumbo'ed with the best of em did the rat faced little weasel.

bit like the 'smile on the tiles' guff in this

probably all written by the same bloke at the club

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that a former school mate is (apparently) about to become CEO and a former head coach of my local NHL hockey team here in Canada is (apparently) about to become a board member. Bizarre.

As soon as the very private Katharina Liebherr decided to become personally involved in Saints I was fairly sure that she had no intention of selling-up and was going to do all she could to honour her father's legacy, and I'm impressed with her performance and openness thus far. I really like the "team of various talents" approach she seems focused on, and she's shown more warmth in one open letter than the highly-talented but flawed Cortese has shown in all the years he's been here.

My "however" is this. If people are expecting her to open the vaults to fund expensive new acquisitions I think they're going to be disappointed. My hunch is that one of the (probably several) breaking points in her relationship with Cortese was an unwillingness to do that for two reasons - because it can easily become inconsistent with Markus's original plan to use the academy as the springboard for a successful but viable club, and because two of our most expensive acquisitions have hardly set our world alight. Arguably, the inexpensive players we've signed have thus far been much more pivotal in our success. I'm not saying she won't spend, but that she won't throw money around.

The team she's (apparently) assembling seems to support that view. John Williams has never managed a club with a mega-budget but one that has always had to be fiscally responsible. Ralph Kreuger is a very talented motivator who is at his best IMO with younger players. There are signals to be read IMO.

I like what I'm seeing so far, but then I never wanted to become a Man City or a Chelsea, where the soul of the club has disappeared into a vortex of money, greed, high expectation and intolerance of any kind of failure.

Really liking that strong statement of intent & it seems she may have not agreed with Cortese's ruthless & contemptuous manner with people judging by some choice but subtle words.

Particularly liking the heritage & tradition comments & the open communication. She must know the fans wanted to hear that & it's warming to read. That's the one thing we missed so could we now potentially have the dream set up? Only time will tell. I am confident she won't appoint muppets.

Onwards and upwards. The only thing missing was talk of transfer funds.

Well done Katharina.

People are very easily pleased very words. Lets have a review in 6 months or so and see where we are.
Of course we'll review in a few months and then a few months after that and then a few months after that - that's what this forum is all about. But based on all that we can realistically go on now, it's a pretty decent statement and therefore most fans are pretty happy with it - what else is there to say?

I wonder if people will be so nice about her if we sell a couple of our 'stars' and be more like Lowe's outfit rather then the saints we have today?

What, a cup final, eighth and fourth at Christmas?

Yes, I can safely say I will.

KL must have done something right to make Alpine vaguely happy. Hopefully we can have another preseason in the alps as a reward to your cheeriness, i salute you sir!

Key words for me was "running the club properly" suggest that someone was not happy about the gut doing it before.

My thoughts are that these are welcome words, not to much blah, blah. Obviously we have to wait to see what actions follow these up but a good start.

Really liking that strong statement of intent & it seems she may have not agreed with Cortese's ruthless & contemptuous manner with people judging by some choice but subtle words.

Here's a thought...

I wonder if Cortese become more openly "ruthless and contemptuous" after Markus's death or was he always like that? If Markus knew that Cortese was a "ruthless autocrat", and that's why he put him in charge of running the club, then it could be construed that Katharina is going forward with a different approach to that which her father instigated with Cortese.

From what little we/I know about Markus, he doesn't seem to have been the type of man to have put someone as "uncaring" as Cortese at the helm, so it makes me wonder why he did it. As I say, perhaps Cortese didn't reveal the 'negative' side of his ruthlessness to Markus, or perhaps Cortese simply became more autocratic after Markus's passing.

Just me pondering out loud.

Edited by trousers

The world is upside down! Those who were derided for their negativity during the last regime are now the ones feeling upbeat and positive about the future. The others are gloomy and full of doom laden predictions.

Don't forget those of us in the middle who were broadly content before and are still broadly content now :)

Doesn't really say anything you wouldn't expect her to say, just sounds like corporate-speak to me. You could read it as "I'm here for the long term" or equally as "I'm on my bike, but will only flog it to someone nice."

I actually thought that it didn't resonate with the usual corporate guff and was a very natural, open and human letter, some elements that have been missing of late. Welcome aboard Miss Liebherr , your most welcome.

Does not say that she would not listen to takeover bids though. ;)

I think its fair to say that IF she was looking to sell the club then her "letter to the fans" today would have pretty much said the same thing because the last thing she would want to do is create uncertainty. With this letter she has created a degree of certainty, which satisfies either outcome (i.e. sale or no sale)

Last week it was all doom and gloom from a vocal minority on here - those of the pessimistic, cynical persuasion - who insisted everything was about to collapse around us and the club was almost immediately going to be sold. There was no evidence at all for such a conclusion, but the usual suspects got themselves into such a lather that they started immediately into open insults against Ms. Leibherr.

Today's statement surely contradicts all of the "fear and loathing" being blathered last week. Try reading it with an open mind. Try taking an optimistic view. Go on, it won't hurt!

Oddly enough, I didn't see the reported possible sale as a negative. The strong implication of the initial reports suggested a continuation of the "onwards and upwards" trajectory planned out by Markus and Cortese. We shall see what pans out.

Considering the banal quality of owners of some other Prem and Championship clubs, I'm more happy my club remains in the hands of a family who have paid not just for its return to the top flight, but with the sort of investment we could only have dreamed of. Compare us with the club down the road from me, Fulham - a distant, uncommunicative owner with what seems like an unbroken history for sporting failure, staggering along from one crisis appointment to another, absent of any clear vision of how to get out of a downward spiral that now looks fatal. There by the grace of god...

Even without that context, I'm honestly staggered by some of the attention-seeking sneering on here by, especially someone who's plainly a halfwit for thinking that barking out "salad dodger" ad nauseum is somehow clever or funny.

We need a new song for our Kat

I'm sure that's tongue in cheek Bucks but don't encourage 'em...some whopper will no doubt come up with some witty-ditty that'll include the word 'p*mpey' and other inappropriate expletives. Like Markus I feel Ms Liebherr wouldn't appreciate it.

Expected and acceptable statement, I hope everyone will now let her go back to sitting quietly in the background. From the outset it's been made clear the vision was to see the club continue to progress but remain self-financing so if the pace forward now slows a bit then so be it. The last Liebherr who stepped up enjoyed a day out at Wembley in his first season, same again would be nice!

Here's a thought...

I wonder if Cortese become more openly "ruthless and contemptuous" after Markus's death or was he always like that? If Markus knew that Cortese was a "ruthless autocrat", and that's why he put him in charge of running the club, then it could be construed that Katharina is going forward with a different approach to that which her father instigated with Cortese.

From what little we/I know about Markus, he doesn't seem to have been the type of man to have put someone as "uncaring" as Cortese at the helm, so it makes me wonder why he did it. As I say, perhaps Cortese didn't reveal the 'negative' side of his ruthlessness to Markus, or perhaps Cortese simply became more autocratic after Markus's passing.

Hypo has clinically diagnosed Cortese as being a sociopath, I'm sure you don't aquire those traits whenever it pleases you. I'm sure Marcus knew exactly what he would get from NC and I doubt he was the grinning, cuddly grandad that his persona from a far indictated. Wasn't it Marcus who wanted Pardew gone a while before he actually did?

Considering the banal quality of owners of some other Prem and Championship clubs, I'm more happy my club remains in the hands of a family who have paid not just for its return to the top flight, but with the sort of investment we could only have dreamed of. Compare us with the club down the road from me, Fulham - a distant, uncommunicative owner with what seems like an unbroken history for sporting failure, staggering along from one crisis appointment to another, absent of any clear vision of how to get out of a downward spiral that now looks fatal. There by the grace of god...

Even without that context, I'm honestly staggered by some of the attention-seeking sneering on here by, especially someone who's plainly a halfwit for thinking that barking out "salad dodger" ad nauseum is somehow clever or funny.

Amen

I get the feeling that some people know very little about executive responses, judging from the "it's all a smokescreen" rhetoric emanating from some posts.

As I said early on, there's no reason for her to make this statement if she doesn't want to. That she's bothered should be a sign of encouragement; either that or it's one of the silliest short-term gambles ever, putting the honour of the Liebherr name at stake over a matter of six months.

The transfer window is drawing shut very soon. We'll soon know whether KL makes good on her promises to date, but as I've said, there is no reason for her to have to make the statement unless she wants to. If she wants to, she presumably has some motive. She either wants to do things in the best interests of the club or it's all a nefarious scheme to buy six months goodwill while a buyer is sorted out.

I can see Krueger handling the "pally" side with the players that NC reportedly did so well and Williams ensuring that the club is run without fuss. It's interesting that Purslow is slipping out of contention - he was the obvious choice for a sale.

I'm cautiously optimistic, with Alpine's qualifier - let's see how those words translate into actions.

To be fair Shah Khan inherited two basket cases - Jacksonville have been whipping boys for years (only the Browns have been possibly worse) while Fulham have been rudderless since Hodgson left.

Edited by shurlock

Fair points

Hull City are another example of this. The owner is threatening to pull funds and walk away because he's not getting his own way over the name change, remarking that the "Hull City til I die" crowd should "go away and die". Venkys, Vincent Tan and even Mike Ashley have all had their bizarre moments; none of them could be considered "safe" for long-term club ownership. Just when Ashley looked like he was turning it around, Newcastle had the grim spectacle of Joe Kinnear's bullsh!t scatter-gunning the press office at St James' Park.

Throughout Cortese's tenure, the Liebherr's were criticised by posters on this forum for being completely invisible and never making any statements about the long-term future of the club. KL comes out today, plays a blinder of a statement and is getting pulled for her weight. That's Markus' daughter there - the bloke who saved our club; a bit more respect should be in order, if even for his sake.

There are a couple of people who have forgotten where their loyalty should lie; the football club. I'm grateful for NC's ahead-of-plan achievement of getting back to the Premiership, but he'd never have achieved that without a pot to p!ss in.

The statement is entirely positive. It can only really be perceived as a negative if KL goes back on it.

Hull City are another example of this. The owner is threatening to pull funds and walk away because he's not getting his own way over the name change, remarking that the "Hull City til I die" crowd should "go away and die". Venkys, Vincent Tan and even Mike Ashley have all had their bizarre moments; none of them could be considered "safe" for long-term club ownership. Just when Ashley looked like he was turning it around, Newcastle had the grim spectacle of Joe Kinnear's bullsh!t scatter-gunning the press office at St James' Park.

Throughout Cortese's tenure, the Liebherr's were criticised by posters on this forum for being completely invisible and never making any statements about the long-term future of the club. KL comes out today, plays a blinder of a statement and is getting pulled for her weight. That's Markus' daughter there - the bloke who saved our club; a bit more respect should be in order, if even for his sake.

There are a couple of people who have forgotten where their loyalty should lie; the football club. I'm grateful for NC's ahead-of-plan achievement of getting back to the Premiership, but he'd never have achieved that without a pot to p!ss in.

The statement is entirely positive. It can only really be perceived as a negative if KL goes back on it.

Really good post Pap.

It does seem that some odd characters are coming out of the woodwork on the back of all this. 'Plants' come to mind for some reason.

Well, bullseye. The jury is out.

Its really not. She isnt a stranger rocking up out of the blue. She has a four year track record of delivering on her fathers aspirations, backed by £100m of hard cash. She's earned the right to be trusted at her word.

Its really not. She isnt a stranger rocking up out of the blue. She has a four year track record of delivering on her fathers aspirations, backed by £100m of hard cash. She's earned the right to be trusted at her word.

Please, i'm aware that I could be being too cynical. I'm loathe not to trust my instincts though. The jury is out for me but I dearly hope that it's merely a formality and will be delighted should that be the case.

Here's a thought...

To add to your pondering...

The sacking of Pardew comes less than three weeks after the death of Southampton owner Markus Liebherr. However, according to a source who was close to Liebherr, the Swiss billionaire had been pushing for Pardew’s dismissal for several months.

To add to your pondering...

The sacking of Pardew comes less than three weeks after the death of Southampton owner Markus Liebherr. However, according to a source who was close to Liebherr, the Swiss billionaire had been pushing for Pardew’s dismissal for several months.

While Markus evidently had a very kind heart he had also split away from his remarkable family and become a billionaire in his own right. He wouldn't have been afraid to make difficult decisions.

For him and Cortese to strike up such a close relationship they would have needed a fair amount in common.

Edited by Colinjb

Excellent post.

While Markus evidently had a very kind heart he had also split away from his remarkable family and become a billionaire in his own right. He wouldn't have been afraid to make difficult decisions.

For him and Cortese to strike up such a close relationship they would have needed a fair amount in common.

I agree completely.

Very well put - I can only agree with your views :thumbup:

Indeed. So could it be argued that Cortese has been running the club the way Markus wanted him to this last 4.5 years? And, if so, is the logical extension of that argument that Katharina now appears to want to run the club differently to the way her father wanted to?

(Not really sure where I'm going with this to be honest - just me chewing things over)

Indeed. So could it be argued that Cortese has been running the club the way Markus wanted him to this last 4.5 years? And, if so, is the logical extension of that argument that Katharina now appears to want to run the club differently to the way her father wanted to?

(Not really sure where I'm going with this to be honest - just me chewing things over)

Aren't we all? :)

Whatever happened something changed, be it Nicola or Katharina.

All sounds lovely but doesn't actually say much specific about long term intentions ...

hmm my thoughts too. comments around immediate future etc. i dont doubt decions will be in the best interests of the club but i think she still plans to sell within a year if possible. but then that view doesnt entirely stack up with the strategy of bringing in multiple appoinments to run the club moving forward. either way i think the plan will be to having completey sustainable biz model.

Just seen the statement .

An excellent heart warming statement and positive message to us all .

It's sad to see there are the usual folk dissecting every word and coming up with obscure reasoning .

But everyone has an opinion . To me she has nailed her fathers desires for the club to succeed . She is committed to the club lock stock and barrel . As someone said . I would love to see her at Wembley , scarf round her neck with camera and that cheesy grin . Just like her father . That is one of the most iconic images of ML that gave me so much pleasure that day along with the other 50k plus saints fans that were there that day