Still angry after Sunderland?

9-3

Well this sort of sums things up from today's Observer - very Saints related and worth a click to all those who say "get over it".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/08/how-football-lost-touch-young-fans

Read the article yesterday - excellent read. But dont see where 'get over it' suggestion comes from - it very much admits that that world and the cultural underpinnings that gave the cup its significance have largely disappeared with little relevance to the here and now.

Edited by shurlock

FA Cup numbers have often been atrocious for a number of years now. We had 7,000 odd against Millwall at St. Marys not so long ago. The simple fact is that there are huge numbers of fans who simply don't give a sh*t about the competition; at least until it gets to the latter stages.

There's been some hyperbole spouted on the subject, of course there has. But for the most part the line of "this was our best chance of winning something, a missed opportunity" I think is fair.

Steve Bruce was interviewed just before the Sunderland game; he stated that Hull are never going to win the Premier League and so are prioritising the FA Cup. I'd love to see us do something similar, especially if we're pretty much assured of top flight survival. Because if we don't, then I'm not sure what the point is.

It was a fantastic opportunity to win something. I don't disagree with any this, even if I think that the cup isn't what it was -and ultimately want to see as competitive saints side as possible and the league remains the best yardstick of absolute progress.

Curious as to what people are specifically angry (as opposed to disappointed) about?

Sunderland's forum seemed to generally saying, when teams announced how they didn't have a chance.

The defence was first choice available. Lambert played upfront.

So was it the common practice of having a cup keeper?

Or was it Guly for JayRod? Clearly weaker but club said he had had a knock - maybe should have tried him but he did play for 30 of 90.

Was it JWP for Morgan? Would have much preferred Morgan but hardly bringing in an unknown reserve, JWP has played over half our prem time. Some, including other club forums have talked about him for England.

Or was it taking Lallana off? Strange but nothing to do with cup - at that stage MP had taken Lallana off in over 50% of prem games.

I think he did rest JayRod and Morgan so either it wasn't our best available side, or he genuinely thought the side could be freshened up with those two changes (as Morgan wasn't at his best and JayRod not 100%). My guess is somewhere in middle - freshening up and thinking side would be good enough.

When it wasn't he made early (60) correction reverting to Morgan and JayRod - so our first choice side was on from 60!

52% possession, 11 shots, 6 corners, 15 fouls, 3 bookings doesn't sound like going through motions or manager not trying.

Genuinely think some think we played full reserves.

So, if you are angry, what specifically is making you angry rather that disappointed?

Curious as to what people are specifically angry (as opposed to disappointed) about?

Sunderland's forum seemed to generally saying, when teams announced how they didn't have a chance.

Or was it Guly for JayRod? Clearly weaker but club said he had had a knock - maybe should have tried him but he did play for 30 of 90.

Was it JWP for Morgan? Would have much preferred Morgan but hardly bringing in an unknown reserve, JWP has played over half our prem time. Some, including other club forums have talked about him for England.

Or was it taking Lallana off? Strange but nothing to do with cup - at that stage MP had taken Lallana off in over 50% of prem games.

I think he did rest JayRod and Morgan so either it wasn't our best available side, or he genuinely thought the side could be freshened up with those two changes (as Morgan wasn't at his best and JayRod not 100%). My guess is somewhere in middle - freshening up and thinking side would be good enough.

When it wasn't he made early (60) correction reverting to Morgan and JayRod - so our first choice side was on from 60!

52% possession, 11 shots, 6 corners, 15 fouls, 3 bookings doesn't sound like going through motions or manager not trying.

So, if you are angry, what specifically is making you angry rather that disappointed?

Post sums it up for me. Cannot see why people are "angry". Little or nothing wrong in my view. Boruc was ill or injured, so Davis had to play (unless people would have preferred Gazza). JRod replaced Guly in 2nd half. Otherwise it was pretty close to our first team despite what so called pundits Lineaker and Savage would have you believe (ignorant of the facts). The only thing I thought was a bit strange was that the team travelled back down to Southampton after the Hull match, I would have had the team stay up north in between. We lost to Sunderland, 4 times this season and we failed to beat them 4 times, but some folks seemed to think all we had to do was turn up and Sunderland would roll over. We didn't play a weakened team and to suggest we should have played a weakened team against Hull is just plain silly and naive.

By the way Hull have smashed Sunderland this afternoon, who is to say that they wouldn't have done the same to us.

Dunno why this thread was moved, seems quite relevant to the main forum. Stange decision by a mod who I would have thought had better things to do

At a guess, because the forum is well-and-truly under the thumbs of the clappies, who are hell-bent on stifling debate and discussion on anything that reflects critcally on the club.

This thread deals with one of the biggest issues to arise this season, and its been moved. What a message...

Back to the issue; the club we failed to beat 4 times this season has been butt-f**ked out of the cup by a team we recently beat away..

Yup, pain in the feckin' arse and I don't recall too many times I've agreed with you Alps. In fact the post above is more in keeping with your usual drivel.

Guess what, we know the manager ****ed it up, we know the team were fukin shyte, we know that they blew the best chance we had of getting to Wembley in quite a few years - we know that. But after the event, we get it into perspective and move on - you know, to the next game - that's the beauty of football. It's also what most mature adults do.

I don't have a problem with those that admit MP fecked up, and have now put it behind them and moved on. I'm not in that camp, but I respect that opinion. What I don't get are those who continue to deny that MP did anything wrong. Exhibit A:

:mcinnes:

What part of this is so hard to understand?

Why is it so hard for you to admit the manager f*cked up? Every single pundit has said they don't understand the team selection, do you think you know better than Le Tiss, Lineker etc?

On paper the team against Sunderland wasn't too bad but it was not our strongest and the first teamers that played were not at their best because it was their third game in a week. We should have changed things around in the meaningless game against Hull and played a fresh, well prepared first eleven against Sunderland - that is screamingly obvious.

Saints have won one single major trophy in over 125 years. Trips to Wembley for fans like us come around once in a blue moon. If Leibherr sells up in the summer to some bunch of chancers and we end up skint again we could quite easily not get another chance like that of silverware or even a Wembley final in our lifetime.

Extremely disappointed still, needlessly out of a cup without a fight where we might have beaten Hull to get to a semi-final and then...*

Players flunked it, but perhaps a bit of urgency in the dressing room and from the touchline might not have gone amiss.

*leaving aside all the chaos theory, butterfly effect that the person making the draw might have not made it 'cos he tangled his knob in a Kenwood blender on hearing we'd beaten Sunderland at a lunch time kick off... :mcinnes:

Are you a brand new poster? Your posting style is familiar

Answer to your question - yes

Your turn.... Old username?

I have never posted before, on this or any other forum, under a different user name. Clear enough?

As to your answer. I doubt it but if so, how do you define being a 'fan'? What does being a Saints fan mean to you?

Over.

Edited by Goatboy
punctuation ffs

Is misunderstood goat for "a ****" ?

What I can't believe is that he's been this way for a very long time (I have been lurking here for over a year) but not one other poster has tried to help him. I see him as my little project. Or **** if you like.

Time to get on with life now. What is the point of brooding on something you cannot change one month after the event. Waste of energy.

It depends if MP will repeat the same mistake next time. So far he hasn't indicated that he'll do anything differently next season if we're in the same position.