Still angry after Sunderland?

9-3

I'm delighted that Pochettino has been stung by the fans' disappointment into commenting on the backlash that has ensued in the media. But the timbre of his response shows that he still doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

I suggest that if he is still with us next year, that he educates himself by researching a bit of history of the Club and watches some media footage of our win against Manchester United in 1976. He should recognise that by the simple expedient of scoring the winning goal, Bobby Stokes became a folk hero for this club. He should also watch the celebrations in the City, and observe the incredible percentage of the population that came out to share the teams' celebration parade through the City on the open-topped bus, which also made the National News. Then he should observe the opening video that introduces the FA Cup matches on the box and look carefully at the vignette of Lawrie McMenemy holding the Cup, amongst all of the footage of the glory teams.

Having done that, he should then note that 3 years earlier, a Certain Bobby Stokoe, the Sunderland manager, produced a similar shock defeat of mighty Leeds that is forever ingrained in Mackem folklore. Here is a short YouTube video of it:-

Underneath, he might gain some insight by reading the comments of SouthCoast Mackem:-

SouthCoastMackem 2 years ago

That was written two years ago and is still firmly engraved in his memory and I would imagine that his hopes of a trip to Wembley are sky high, in two Cup competitions.

When discussing disrespect, it is against this sort of background that any context is relevant. I will excuse him as an Argentinian for not recognising the passion that fires the ambitions of most of ours and Sunderlands' fans when they have an opportunity to win the FA Cup, but if he wonders what all the fuss is about, a little research along these lines should show him.

Post of the week. :adore:

He had bruised knees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sore shin from a couple of grazes, either he was fit or he was not. As for feeling tired I simply dont buy it, better players have played more games in bigger competitions over a number of years and have not suffered, is it poor training techniques? Or was he simply resting them and gambled and ballsed up? If so he should man up and admit it. The wet fanny.

He had bruised knees.

Whether true or not (and I doubt it), he and other key players should've been rested against Hull. And they would have been if MP had prioritised the cup over the league.

Clearly his priorities are the other way around, no matter how much he (and his minions on here) try to spin it.

It is hence me asking, was he fit, being rested or dropped?

Not 100% fit, pictures has shown why. No other backup choice at CB in the squad. A not 100% fit Fonte the best option if an injury happens during the game to Yoshida or Hooiveld that would force them off the game. Unless that kind of injury happen you dont want to risk a player that is 100% fit, but if that injury would happen you are forced to sometimes take that chance with a player in that situation due to no other options.

There are 7 sub on the bench so not like he is stoping some other alternative to change the game, just that he was the only one in the squad at that position.

Ok?

3. Cork, Schneiderlin, Boruc and Fonte on the bench/at home.

As Nick G's excellent post ( above ) points out :

Cork was benched to let Wanyama play - MoPo's preferred option

Boruc would not have made any difference to the one goal we conceded - unlikely any keeper would have stopped it

Fonte injured ( I see no reason to doubt the club's assessment, though some apparently do despite the pictures )

So the only one that possibly looks odd is JWP for Morgan - and he's played more games in the PL than most.

Edited by badgerx16

Whether true or not (and I doubt it), he and other key players should've been rested against Hull. And they would have been if MP had prioritised the cup over the league.

Clearly his priorities are the other way around, no matter how much he (and his minions on here) try to spin it.

The clubs priorities are league first yes, it has been said all over. That doesn´t mean they dont care about other competitions.

I like pizza, doesn´t mean I dont like hamburgers too...

Don't know if this is the thread i saw earlier mention £750k prize money last season but this year it is £1,126,000 per position.

The club finishing last place this season will get more than City received when they won league in 2011/12

http://eyesinthecorner.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/fa-cup-vs-premier-league-prize-money/

Winning FA cup is worth 3 places of merit money

Edited by whelk

Don't know if this is the thread i saw earlier mention £750k prize money last season but this year it is £1,126,000 per position.

The club finishing last place this season will get more than City received when they won league in 2011/12

http://eyesinthecorner.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/fa-cup-vs-premier-league-prize-money/

£7 Million between the places we are going for, if we won the Cup £5 Million, I am sure the fans for the sake of a player would love to see the Cup again in the cabinet, dropped a ballack hugely there.

I feel people need to separate their disappointment (which I share) and exaggerating facts causing disrespectful venom against MP and the club.

I have just read recent match threads. Bizarrely the players being criticised on those threads are Cork, Lallana and JayRod.

Man of match poll Hull game? First Yoshida,21% second Davis 20%. The best players who we threw cup away by dropping? Lallana 2%, JayRod 6%, Morgan 5%.

Team selected?

Back four - first choice. No issues. (fonte's pics speak for themselves)

Midfield 5

Wanyama is MP's first choice over Cork (personally agree) particular logical away to Sunderland. Maybe mistake? personal view but certainly more logical as a tactical preference.

Davis - first choice.

Lallana - first choice.

Ward-Prowse over Morgan? Not my choice and think weakened side. However hardly reserve player coming in. JWP has played appeared in more league games than Morgan. JWP has played more time in prem league than Cork. It is conceivable that MP actually thought his play, along side VW maybe preferable over a off form Morgan?

Guly over JayRod. The club have stated that JayRod (slated by fans recently!) was carrying a knock and therefore relied on Guly. Unless you think club are liars seems disappointing but fair enough selection.

Lambert first choice

Yes there were several changes.

The cup keeper / league keeper being one.

Two first choices coming in.

Two injuries (Fonte / JayRod)

One tactical (JWP).

What was MP's approach to the game?

Facts - away to prem league side but had most possession.

9 shots on target. 6 corners. Committed 15 fouls!

went goal behind on 49 mins.

tried to change it with fairly early subs, bringing on Morgan and JayRod.

So, from a hour had our first choice outfield 10!!! Have people realised that??!!

Strange substitution as I don't know much about McQueen. Taking Lallana off, was that evidence of lack of interest in cup? No. MP has taken Lallana off in 13 of our 26 league games.

Sunderland are 8th in prem current form. There seems to be an arrogant view (by pessimistic fans??) that we should have walked the game and the cup was ours. We still had a lot to do. The pre-match thread included links to the Sunderland forum - who stated when they saw our team they would get stuffed.

We lost. Team have games when the under perform - asked Everton and Arsenal recently.

We also had three chances to score far easier than the one Sunderland scored from. Lambert and Lallana both had chances easier than any of their goals this season. JWP also had easy one. They are more the reasons we lost than KD replacing Boruc for cup games, or JWP over Morgan.

Did MP get it right? No. The black and white is when a sub does well, or change works the manager got it right. Would he do the same again? I doubt it. Not because of toddler tantrums on here, or Robbie Savage not realising who first 11 are/ who injured but because we lost. Him bringing on Morgan and JayRod shows two things- one he realised it wasn't working, and two he respected the cup enough to use try his best 11 even if not 100%.

BTW I am old enough to have been to cup finals, I am disappointed we are out, I had optimistically started thinking it maybe my kids first Wembley trip.

Sore shin from a couple of grazes, either he was fit or he was not. As for feeling tired I simply dont buy it, better players have played more games in bigger competitions over a number of years and have not suffered, is it poor training techniques? Or was he simply resting them and gambled and ballsed up? If so he should man up and admit it. The wet fanny.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you genuinely don't get this. We seem to have a couple of regular misunderstandings over fatigue / injury.

1) if fit to be on the bench he is fit to play (e.g. Fonte / JayRod)

2) players are wimps getting tired, I work long hours, tennis players play daily during a tournament for longer etc.

Both quite simple concepts..

1) if I was 100% fit and at my peak, and Ricky Lambert had a dead leg, broken cheek bone - he would still be a better option to play than me. But a 100% fit Sam Gallagher would go from being a back up to being more effective than a less than 40% fit Lambert. Where a manager earns his money, or gets it wrong is when players are closer in ability and closer in fitness. For example Wanyama v Cork divides opinions. But a 100% match fit of either would be obvious choice over 80% fit of the other. What is hard to judge is where the players are on those variables. JayRod clearly better than Guly. But JayRod, we know was carrying a knock. So was MP's genuine judgement that a X% fit JoyRod was not going to be as effective as a 100% fit Guly? Same with JWP / Morgan. Who knows. Even in hindsight its not clear as our "best" team didn't improve against tiring Sunderland.

This also explains why Fonte is on the bench. The "fit enough for sub fit enough to start" argument. Lets assume due to his cuts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2557867/Ive-Hull-Saints-defender-Jose-Fonte-shows-battle-scars-scoring-match-winner.html

that Fonte was 60% fit. MP's judgment would have been 100% fit Jos is better than 60% Fonte. 60% Fonte is better than the under 21 CBs.

2) Murry may play games every day. But if he got through to the semi final at Wimbledon and some how could swap himself with a clone who had just had three days rest / stretching / massage etc then he would. its not that players are being poor little loves, its than you cannot stay at your peak without rest. We don't get a choice, nor do tennis pros in tournaments - tennis and our working lifes are not team games. Football is. So maybe Morgan could have played games Saturday, Sunday and Monday - then turned up and made a fool out of us in our works 5-a-side, but going back to the point above, if he started at 100% his level would drop. He would always be better than us, but while at 100% he may outclass Gerrard in a game, at 80% he maybe a average prem player.

Cork was benched to let Wanyama play - MoPo's preferred option

Boruc would not have made any difference to the one goal we conceded - unlikely any keeper would have stopped it

Fonte injured ( I see no reason to doubt the club's assessment, though some apparently do despite the pictures )

So the only one that possibly looks odd is JWP for Morgan - and he's played more games in the PL than most.

Thanks.

The cup also has higher prize money, plus the extra gate receipts.

So a team with 2-3 switches in the lineup is clearly not strong enough to win against a Sunderland side with 9 changes according to the fans but if we only switched those 2-3 players back into the lineup we would win the cup and have o trophy to put in the cabinet...?

Cork was benched to let Wanyama play - MoPo's preferred option Cork is on fire at the moment, big Vic is just coming back from injury and was hauled off at half time for an inept performance in his first game back.

Boruc would not have made any difference to the one goal we conceded - unlikely any keeper would have stopped it Butterfly effect: with Boruc in goal the whole pattern of play would be different. We wouldn't have had a succession of keeper clearances going straight into touch, for example.

Fonte injured ( I see no reason to doubt the club's assessment, though some apparently do despite the pictures ) Debatable, but we've already explained why key players should've been rested against Hull.

So the only one that possibly looks odd is JWP for Morgan - and he's played more games in the PL than most. And what about Guly over JRod? Let me guess, he was "injured" too.

So a team with 2-3 switches in the lineup is clearly not strong enough to win against a Sunderland side with 9 changes according to the fans but if we only switched those 2-3 players back into the lineup we would win the cup and have o trophy to put in the cabinet...?

Our first choice 11 drew with their first choice 11 twice, dominating both matches. Our first choice 11 outplayed a non-too-shabby Hull a few days earlier. So yes, they would have probably won the tie, and we'd be one step from the semis. No-one is saying we'd win the cup, but we'd have a better chance of doing so winning against Sunderland as opposed to losing against them.

Our first choice 11 drew with their first choice 11 twice, dominating both matches. Our first choice 11 outplayed a non-too-shabby Hull a few days earlier. So yes, they would have probably won the tie, and we'd be one step from the semis. No-one is saying we'd win the cup, but we'd have a better chance of doing so winning against Sunderland as opposed to losing against them.

Our switched lineup would´ve won if the two most regular players would have scored their sitters.

Pretty much like the games we drew in the league, score on the chances produced and you probably win the game.

But you are right, our first lineup outplayed Hull a FEW days earlier. That game is also the reason we had to make changes, a midweek game Sunderland didn´t have.

Bottom line, the lineup should be strong enough to win the game. The players underperformed, team lost. Has happened before and will happen again.

It´s always easy to be correct in retrospect, unfortunately managers dont have that luxury. Cant save and play the game again like on FM....

Our switched lineup would´ve won if the two most regular players would have scored their sitters.

Pretty much like the games we drew in the league, score on the chances produced and you probably win the game.

But you are right, our first lineup outplayed Hull a FEW days earlier. That game is also the reason we had to make changes, a midweek game Sunderland didn´t have.

Bottom line, the lineup should be strong enough to win the game. The players underperformed, team lost. Has happened before and will happen again.

It´s always easy to be correct in retrospect, unfortunately managers dont have that luxury. Cant save and play the game again like on FM....

No, many of us were correct beforehand, when we were calling for MP to rest players against Hull.

No, many of us were correct beforehand, when we were calling for MP to rest players against Hull.

Well, then he would go against his employers plans and priorities. Dont know if your boss would be happy if you listen to other people than those who decide the plans for your company. (not you as in YOU but as in a situation as an employee)

I posted long before the kick off about playing a weakened side as did many others.

If you listen to his interview on SaintsPlayer he says the priority is to develop the young players and to finish as high up in the league as possible. The cups are a second priority by that assertion and I think we all knew that. He even mentions about going for silverware a bit more in a few years when the squad has matured. I'm still not convinced we can finish higher than 8th this season but if he and the club think otherwise then fair enough and I am glad he stuck to his guns rather than apologised or anything like that. Also it is good to see that perhaps there is still a long term plan that is being worked towards in the grand scheme of things.

As I thought. A perfect explanation and how it should be. I cannot believe the whining giong on about the FA CUP it is nothing compared to the league and Mopo is right to prioritise it ! Furthermore, there is an unhealthy obsession about this one FA Cup game. Get over it all of you and move on !

Has mopo apologised yet?

Yes. In a sort of "I'm sorry you are criticising me, I've done nothing wrong" sort of way.

“But I completely reject any sort of criticism that we didn’t put out the best team for that day."

“I also want to say that, not exactly that it makes me angry, but more than anything it makes me sad, the fact that with these type of comments that came after that game, they’re quite disrespectful to the players that were actually on the pitch."

Yes. In a sort of "I'm sorry you are criticising me, I've done nothing wrong" sort of way.

“But I completely reject any sort of criticism that we didn’t put out the best team for that day."

“I also want to say that, not exactly that it makes me angry, but more than anything it makes me sad, the fact that with these type of comments that came after that game, they’re quite disrespectful to the players that were actually on the pitch."

What a twit! He really is showing his inexperience over this......

I feel people need to separate their disappointment (which I share) and exaggerating facts causing disrespectful venom against MP and the club.

I have just read recent match threads. Bizarrely the players being criticised on those threads are Cork, Lallana and JayRod.

Man of match poll Hull game? First Yoshida,21% second Davis 20%. The best players who we threw cup away by dropping? Lallana 2%, JayRod 6%, Morgan 5%.

Team selected?

Back four - first choice. No issues. (fonte's pics speak for themselves)

Midfield 5

Wanyama is MP's first choice over Cork (personally agree) particular logical away to Sunderland. Maybe mistake? personal view but certainly more logical as a tactical preference.

Davis - first choice.

Lallana - first choice.

Ward-Prowse over Morgan? Not my choice and think weakened side. However hardly reserve player coming in. JWP has played appeared in more league games than Morgan. JWP has played more time in prem league than Cork. It is conceivable that MP actually thought his play, along side VW maybe preferable over a off form Morgan?

Guly over JayRod. The club have stated that JayRod (slated by fans recently!) was carrying a knock and therefore relied on Guly. Unless you think club are liars seems disappointing but fair enough selection.

Lambert first choice

Yes there were several changes.

The cup keeper / league keeper being one.

Two first choices coming in.

Two injuries (Fonte / JayRod)

One tactical (JWP).

What was MP's approach to the game?

Facts - away to prem league side but had most possession.

9 shots on target. 6 corners. Committed 15 fouls!

went goal behind on 49 mins.

tried to change it with fairly early subs, bringing on Morgan and JayRod.

So, from a hour had our first choice outfield 10!!! Have people realised that??!!

Strange substitution as I don't know much about McQueen. Taking Lallana off, was that evidence of lack of interest in cup? No. MP has taken Lallana off in 13 of our 26 league games.

Sunderland are 8th in prem current form. There seems to be an arrogant view (by pessimistic fans??) that we should have walked the game and the cup was ours. We still had a lot to do. The pre-match thread included links to the Sunderland forum - who stated when they saw our team they would get stuffed.

We lost. Team have games when the under perform - asked Everton and Arsenal recently.

We also had three chances to score far easier than the one Sunderland scored from. Lambert and Lallana both had chances easier than any of their goals this season. JWP also had easy one. They are more the reasons we lost than KD replacing Boruc for cup games, or JWP over Morgan.

Did MP get it right? No. The black and white is when a sub does well, or change works the manager got it right. Would he do the same again? I doubt it. Not because of toddler tantrums on here, or Robbie Savage not realising who first 11 are/ who injured but because we lost. Him bringing on Morgan and JayRod shows two things- one he realised it wasn't working, and two he respected the cup enough to use try his best 11 even if not 100%.

BTW I am old enough to have been to cup finals, I am disappointed we are out, I had optimistically started thinking it maybe my kids first Wembley trip.

Top post Nick

We had fonte injured Those stud marks looked pretty Nasty . I'm suprised he was on the bench . And Jrod was ill . I will not criticise the club . Yes I'm disappointed at the result but there are many on here who seem to take great joy when we lose .

Each to his her own I guess . But some if you are going overboard with the earlier comments .

We've all talked and written about the importance of the FA Cup and the passion of the fans and the disappointment of defeat and so on BUT the combined attendance at the two home cupties (Burnley and Yeovil) don't support this, one premiership home match draws more. What was MP likely to conclude?

Seems like that to some of the mentally challenged and WUMs on here.

Completely agree.

Interestingly, immediately after the game Sibley tweeted that Jay Rod and Fonte were left out as they were "not 100%" and today it's announced they were "injured". Basically, they were rested.

The seasons over. Our results will now peter out. And come the summer there will be a lot of familiar faces heading for the exit.

We've peaked. Will remember that in November we were playing for top spot with a lot of nostalgia, whatever is thrown at us next season..

You, too? Really? Still twelve games left. Does this mean you'll be taking a break from this site for a few months?

We've all talked and written about the importance of the FA Cup and the passion of the fans and the disappointment of defeat and so on BUT the combined attendance at the two home cupties (Burnley and Yeovil) don't support this, one premiership home match draws more. What was MP likely to conclude?
That we were playing lower league opposition in those games. That fans had already spent a fortune on season tickets etc. That we'd taken more support to Sunderland for a short-notice FA Cup game than we did for the league match there this season.

I would have been livid if the 'best' players had been rested against Hull for the Sunderland game. The three points we gained against Hull imo are vital in gaining momentum for the latter part of our league campaign. So, imo MP made the right call, league over Cup every time !

We had fonte injured Those stud marks looked pretty Nasty . I'm suprised he was on the bench . And Jrod was ill . I will not criticise the club . Yes I'm disappointed at the result but there are many on here who seem to take great joy when we lose .

Each to his her own I guess . But some if you are going overboard with the earlier comments .

Completely agree.

**** me - is this thread still going? Still populated by the same echo chamber dullards too. Get a grip, you sad ****s.

As you say, time to draw a line under it. Our work is done. Pochettino has received the message loud and clear and responded to the flack he received, albeit that his response does not ring true to some.

Both he and the players are now in no doubt whatsoever how much a decent FA Cup run means to most of the fans and the next time around they will know what to expect should they consider playing a weakened team (the manager), or not putting in 100% effort (the players).

We will see how the players respond over the next few games - the reports of players being fuming with mopo after the game have been brushed under the carpet in typical Saints and SWF style (see.hear.speak)

Be interesting to see if performances and results suffer over the next 4-5 games. 10 points expected from the next 5 so lets wait and see

We will see how the players respond over the next few games - the reports of players being fuming with mopo after the game have been brushed under the carpet in typical Saints and SWF style (see.hear.speak)

Be interesting to see if performances and results suffer over the next 4-5 games. 10 points expected from the next 5 so lets wait and see

What reports? Post one up, you repetitive, bull sh itting dullard.

If the likes of Olallana and Smirking Saint had been supporting Saints in 1976, then they wouldn't (I assume from their pathetic comments that they weren't) be talking such drivel. For those who were at Wembley in 1976 , out in the town on the Saturday night, in town for the open top bus parade, at Mick Channon's testimonial etc these were truly fantastic moments in what has in all honesty been a hard road supporting the Saints. Not just moments to be forgotten in a few weeks but memories that I and many thousand Saints fans will always cherish. That's why some of us are truly pisxed of with the attitude last week. We had an opportunity to re-create that very special magic again and we just couldn't be bothered.

Yep, superb post.

Exactly the reason I gambled and came back to Soton from Austria for the 2003 final.... :(