Still angry after Sunderland?

9-3

Good, but if clubs like WHAM fall back in the relegation zone they should be allowed to opt out again. There is also the problem of Wigan, surely as they won the Cup and got relegated, they should be allowed back in the PL, perhaps to swap place with the team that came 8th last year as that will surely make them much happier as they can then be given the Cup instead.

do you think i should hold off till we get 40 points?

My point was (probably badly made since I was still angry then) there is little respect for the fans these days. But as so many pointed out that's modern football. Like some I remain disillusioned but supporting the Saints is too ingrained in my blood and I will be hoping like hell we beat West Ham, particularly as I hate Nolan.

You need to unburden yourself from the constraints of seeking perfection in this relationship, or expecting 'her' to change - love the 'club' for what it is, not for what you want it to be... anothe anology might be how we care for our kids - its unconditional and we always care no matter what they do to 'disappoint' us ;-)

...and everyone hates Nolan ;-)

do you think i should hold off till we get 40 points?

On second thoughts you are right. But perhaps we should wait until we get to 42 points because that is what Manure have got and they are safe but then again maybe Manure are not safe ? Hang on are they still in the Cup or are they out of the Cup ?

On second thoughts you are right. But perhaps we should wait until we get to 42 points because that is what Manure have got and they are safe but then again maybe Manure are not safe ? Hang on are they still in the Cup or are they out of the Cup ?

i have checked and Man U are out of the cup. Poss we can take their place? I will mention this when i pm the fa bout getting us reinstate

i have checked and Man U are out of the cup. Poss we can take their place? I will mention this when i pm the fa bout getting us reinstate

Utd were never interested in the Cup this year, they already had their Dubai training camp organised for the 5th round dates.Although they'd probably say it was only provisional of course, strange that they got knocked by an injury time winner from Bony though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

gotcha so they prob won't object if we take their spot. I will ask if we can hold off time Semi Finals tho cos i don't see point of risking someone to get injury in a QF unless we really have to.

But if they get knocked out of the European Cup, btw not the one that we are not trying to be part of but the one that is worth the money, I mean worth entering, could we give back their place in the FA Cup that they gave to us ?

Actually Bearsy, I think being in the FA CUP should be like taking your driving test, if you fail, you should be allowed to re enter as many times as you like until you win. I also think there should be a 'theory' side to winning the FA Cup as well as a practical side. The only problem being with saints is that Pochettino's limited grasp of English may see us knocked out before we do the practical part of the Cup.

did he mention anyone in particular?

was that you ? It can't be me as I am not angry. Anyway I think you should take up Whitey Grandad's idea about giving the winners of the Fa Cup a handicap. It would mean that lots of teams that don't want to win the Cup could let the teams that do want to win the Cup win, by playing their reserves. I personally think that Sunderland did not want to win the Cup and phoned up Pocchettino but it was translated wrong and so both sides went out to not win it but on the day the Sunderland player who scored did not get the message and Lambert did get the message. I also think that it was translated wrong or that Pocchetino was more interested in the olympics as has been suggested.

Best part is that its almost like people think if we had beaten Sunderland we would have won the Cup?

Chaos theory.

:mcinnes:

I think you'll find we believe that beating Sunderland, rather than losing to them, would have given us a better chance of winning the cup.

Correct us if we're wrong.

:mcinnes:

I think you'll find we believe that beating Sunderland, rather than losing to them, would have given us a better chance of winning the cup.

Correct us if we're wrong.

Better chance of course. But still a very slim chance of winning it. Wasnt like we were in the semi final.

And seeing as we have made changes in every cup game for about 5 years I am suprised so many didnt see them coming.

Better chance of course. But still a very slim chance of winning it. Wasnt like we were in the semi final.

And seeing as we have made changes in every cup game for about 5 years I am suprised so many didnt see them coming.

Slim? Three games from winning it! We'd be favourites against Hull/Brighton, and after that a semi final where there will be at least one lower league team, and one of Everton/Arsenal gone.

And for the last 5 years we haven't been in a position where we are now, with no relegation/promotion to worry about.

Cant believe people are still angry at it, this time last year I was worried about going down and the year before that staying down.

I do think it has all gone a little bit over the top. He is right, that team could have beaten Sunderland, but for some reason they really did not look to bothered and because of that reason we are out. With it the season end with regards to any chance of silverware and any chance of European football.

We could have been just 2 wins from Europe, like in 2003.

For those saying we would still have to beat Arsenal and Man City..... Wigan did, so I am bloody well sure we could!

If the likes of Olallana and Smirking Saint had been supporting Saints in 1976, then they wouldn't (I assume from their pathetic comments that they weren't) be talking such drivel. For those who were at Wembley in 1976 , out in the town on the Saturday night, in town for the open top bus parade, at Mick Channon's testimonial etc these were truly fantastic moments in what has in all honesty been a hard road supporting the Saints. Not just moments to be forgotten in a few weeks but memories that I and many thousand Saints fans will always cherish. That's why some of us are truly pisxed of with the attitude last week. We had an opportunity to re-create that very special magic again and we just couldn't be bothered.

If the likes of Olallana and Smirking Saint had been supporting Saints in 1976, then they wouldn't (I assume from their pathetic comments that they weren't) be talking such drivel. For those who were at Wembley in 1976 , out in the town on the Saturday night, in town for the open top bus parade, at Mick Channon's testimonial etc these were truly fantastic moments in what has in all honesty been a hard road supporting the Saints. Not just moments to be forgotten in a few weeks but memories that I and many thousand Saints fans will always cherish. That's why some of us are truly pisxed of with the attitude last week. We had an opportunity to re-create that very special magic again and we just couldn't be bothered.

Agreed and well said. I think it probably is the younger generation, who have grown up with the missing magic of the FA Cup. Even to relive the semi final and final of 2003 would be amazing and I hope to find out how it feels to win the thing!

No I am too young for that wonderfull day. I too was dissapointed for our exit but it was as much the players that played (that were perfectly adequate) that underperformed as much as it was the issue for the manager.

All season people have been banging on about finishing as high as we can and we have been all gubs blazing in the league performing brilliantly and earning rave reviews. The problem cones wgen we dip into our reserves, we struggle there at the minute due to our quick rise. Sunderland fielded an understrength team aswell, as do more or less every club these days. Realistically ours was pretty strong in reality with only 3 recognised reservists.

It was dissapointing, but to still be banging on about it to the level that some have on here is frankly embarrassing. Its a loss, get over it, in reality we had the better chances and it was our three more or less first teamers (two of the fan favs) that missed ! It also took a pretty special goal to beat us too.

So yes I understand the dissapointment, yes I want to get to the cup final but frankly Im a little bemused by the rediculous overreaction to a one nil loss.

Agreed and well said. I think it probably is the younger generation, who have grown up with the missing magic of the FA Cup. Even to relive the semi final and final of 2003 would be amazing and I hope to find out how it feels to win the thing!

People talk about the Cups not having magic but how much magic does finishing eighth have?

I'll tell you how much magic. No magic.

No I am too young for that wonderfull day. I too was dissapointed for our exit but it was as much the players that played (that were perfectly adequate) that underperformed as much as it was the issue for the manager.

All season people have been banging on about finishing as high as we can and we have been all gubs blazing in the league performing brilliantly and earning rave reviews. The problem cones wgen we dip into our reserves, we struggle there at the minute due to our quick rise. Sunderland fielded an understrength team aswell, as do more or less every club these days. Realistically ours was pretty strong in reality with only 3 recognised reservists.

It was dissapointing, but to still be banging on about it to the level that some have on here is frankly embarrassing. Its a loss, get over it, in reality we had the better chances and it was our three more or less first teamers (two of the fan favs) that missed ! It also took a pretty special goal to beat us too.

So yes I understand the dissapointment, yes I want to get to the cup final but frankly Im a little bemused by the rediculous overreaction to a one nil loss.

Backtrack alert, ask your Dad how it felt for us to win the cup, the truth is most fans over 30 dont give two ****s for one,rwo, three places higher in the League, we never bought into the Cortese revolution as how could we be bigger than the other established clubs, how could we? Tell me I want to believe but I cant as it screams of bull****, the FA Cup will always be our love and our best hope of success and to gamble it away by fielding a side that was not our strongest was a slap in the face to the players who were there and won it and all supporters who genuinely want success for their club.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11026299.Poch__I_was_not_disrespectful_to_FA_Cup/

“But I completely reject any sort of criticism that we didn’t put out the best team for that day."

“I also want to say that, not exactly that it makes me angry, but more than anything it makes me sad, the fact that with these type of comments that came after that game, they’re quite disrespectful to the players that were actually on the pitch."

Bollocks. But I'm glad he's well aware of the fury of most of us (yes, a few sycophants aside), so hopefully he'll think twice if we're in the same situation next time.

We could beat WHU 5-0 and I wouldnt care much.

All that would do is further prove that he completely under prepared for the important cup game and prioritised a pointless league fixture. Unfortunately mopo has backed himself into a no win situation

Pretty much sums up where your loyalties lie

I'm delighted that Pochettino has been stung by the fans' disappointment into commenting on the backlash that has ensued in the media. But the timbre of his response shows that he still doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

I suggest that if he is still with us next year, that he educates himself by researching a bit of history of the Club and watches some media footage of our win against Manchester United in 1976. He should recognise that by the simple expedient of scoring the winning goal, Bobby Stokes became a folk hero for this club. He should also watch the celebrations in the City, and observe the incredible percentage of the population that came out to share the teams' celebration parade through the City on the open-topped bus, which also made the National News. Then he should observe the opening video that introduces the FA Cup matches on the box and look carefully at the vignette of Lawrie McMenemy holding the Cup, amongst all of the footage of the glory teams.

Having done that, he should then note that 3 years earlier, a Certain Bobby Stokoe, the Sunderland manager, produced a similar shock defeat of mighty Leeds that is forever ingrained in Mackem folklore. Here is a short YouTube video of it:-

Underneath, he might gain some insight by reading the comments of SouthCoast Mackem:-

SouthCoastMackem 2 years ago

It remains the only major trophy I have ever seen my team win (I'm going on 57, and that was 38 years ago!), but it will always be my special footballing memory. I just hope I live to see them do it again, because the sell-out to Sky of the PL means that there is next to no chance of anyone but a tiny handful of clubs winning the league again. I agree wholehearedly - it was and still is the best cup competition in the world, and clubs who don't take it seriously should still be fined.

That was written two years ago and is still firmly engraved in his memory and I would imagine that his hopes of a trip to Wembley are sky high, in two Cup competitions.

When discussing disrespect, it is against this sort of background that any context is relevant. I will excuse him as an Argentinian for not recognising the passion that fires the ambitions of most of ours and Sunderlands' fans when they have an opportunity to win the FA Cup, but if he wonders what all the fuss is about, a little research along these lines should show him.

If you listen to his interview on SaintsPlayer he says the priority is to develop the young players and to finish as high up in the league as possible. The cups are a second priority by that assertion and I think we all knew that. He even mentions about going for silverware a bit more in a few years when the squad has matured. I'm still not convinced we can finish higher than 8th this season but if he and the club think otherwise then fair enough and I am glad he stuck to his guns rather than apologised or anything like that. Also it is good to see that perhaps there is still a long term plan that is being worked towards in the grand scheme of things.

If you listen to his interview on SaintsPlayer he says the priority is to develop the young players and to finish as high up in the league as possible. The cups are a second priority by that assertion and I think we all knew that. He even mentions about going for silverware a bit more in a few years when the squad has matured. I'm still not convinced we can finish higher than 8th this season but if he and the club think otherwise then fair enough and I am glad he stuck to his guns rather than apologised or anything like that. Also it is good to see that perhaps there is still a long term plan that is being worked towards in the grand scheme of things.

The league was certainly Cortese's priority and (allegedly) Pardew's failure to stick to that in going for the JPT contributed to his sacking. Maybe things will be different next year.

I feel people need to separate their disappointment (which I share) and exaggerating facts causing disrespectful venom against MP and the club.

I have just read recent match threads. Bizarrely the players being criticised on those threads are Cork, Lallana and JayRod.

Man of match poll Hull game? First Yoshida,21% second Davis 20%. The best players who we threw cup away by dropping? Lallana 2%, JayRod 6%, Morgan 5%.

Team selected?

Back four - first choice. No issues. (fonte's pics speak for themselves)

Midfield 5

Wanyama is MP's first choice over Cork (personally agree) particular logical away to Sunderland. Maybe mistake? personal view but certainly more logical as a tactical preference.

Davis - first choice.

Lallana - first choice.

Ward-Prowse over Morgan? Not my choice and think weakened side. However hardly reserve player coming in. JWP has played appeared in more league games than Morgan. JWP has played more time in prem league than Cork. It is conceivable that MP actually thought his play, along side VW maybe preferable over a off form Morgan?

Guly over JayRod. The club have stated that JayRod (slated by fans recently!) was carrying a knock and therefore relied on Guly. Unless you think club are liars seems disappointing but fair enough selection.

Lambert first choice

Yes there were several changes.

The cup keeper / league keeper being one.

Two first choices coming in.

Two injuries (Fonte / JayRod)

One tactical (JWP).

What was MP's approach to the game?

Facts - away to prem league side but had most possession.

9 shots on target. 6 corners. Committed 15 fouls!

went goal behind on 49 mins.

tried to change it with fairly early subs, bringing on Morgan and JayRod.

So, from a hour had our first choice outfield 10!!! Have people realised that??!!

Strange substitution as I don't know much about McQueen. Taking Lallana off, was that evidence of lack of interest in cup? No. MP has taken Lallana off in 13 of our 26 league games.

Sunderland are 8th in prem current form. There seems to be an arrogant view (by pessimistic fans??) that we should have walked the game and the cup was ours. We still had a lot to do. The pre-match thread included links to the Sunderland forum - who stated when they saw our team they would get stuffed.

We lost. Team have games when the under perform - asked Everton and Arsenal recently.

We also had three chances to score far easier than the one Sunderland scored from. Lambert and Lallana both had chances easier than any of their goals this season. JWP also had easy one. They are more the reasons we lost than KD replacing Boruc for cup games, or JWP over Morgan.

Did MP get it right? No. The black and white is when a sub does well, or change works the manager got it right. Would he do the same again? I doubt it. Not because of toddler tantrums on here, or Robbie Savage not realising who first 11 are/ who injured but because we lost. Him bringing on Morgan and JayRod shows two things- one he realised it wasn't working, and two he respected the cup enough to use try his best 11 even if not 100%.

BTW I am old enough to have been to cup finals, I am disappointed we are out, I had optimistically started thinking it maybe my kids first Wembley trip.