Genuinely worried about next season

alpine_saint

As I said a couple of months ago. I fully expect a mass exodus at the end of the season. MP will leave and Shaw, Lallana, J-Rod & Morgan will all follow. I fully expect us to be in a relegation battle next season.

Cue the backlash from all those on here who live in la-la-land and hate anybody being remotely realistic about things.

The Manager has a year left on his contract. The Manager has said he is happy to review his position (i.e. discuss extending his contract) in the summer. The Board has said that no player will be sold that MP wants to keep. Yet you say the Manager and the better players will leave. You say you are being realistic. I say what you are saying is pure speculation.

And I dont think I am being negative.

I think we may be building largely from scratch again over the summer.

And I dont feel this board line-up are of a phillanthropic nature like ML (RIP) and NC were originally.

We have a sprinkling or arguably the best young talent in Europe, but I cant see many of them staying.

We dont really know what the board will do with the windfall that their sales may generate.

And for me our manager is too inconsistent, and seem very non-commital about the long term.

Are you all really not worried after the struggle we had 5-10 years ago ?

Wow, you are a complete ****ing ****. Already worried... FFS

Every ****ing match day thread you lose it when we go behind but nowhere to be seen when we are doing well.

And the struggle 5 - 10 years time... why pay 30 million in a training youth centre.

Might as well support the Skates down the road with the attitude you have.

And when have you ever been complimentary to Saints, Can't think of any time.

Opened this thread, saw the first 2 posts by people on ignore. Thought I'd share this comment and be on my way.

One of the few people on this forum who Glasgow can't call a friend. :lol:

Unlike Alpine, who only has one friend... well a pretend Scottish friend.

Alpine is ofc allowed his opinion, we all disagree with whatever it is he wrote I'd wager.

As for Glasgow, he long ago established himself as someone you See every Tuesday.... Its amazing how quick to read, interesting and stress free threads become when you stick him on ignore (amongst others)... You guys should try it, his threads would only get to a few threads long then. Oh well.

And I dont feel this board line-up are of a phillanthropic nature like ML (RIP) and NC were originally.

We have a sprinkling or arguably the best young talent in Europe, but I cant see many of them staying.

We dont really know what the board will do with the windfall that their sales may generate.

And for me our manager is too inconsistent, and seem very non-commital about the long term.

What actual evidence do you have to support any of this?

Why do you think we will be largely building from scratch? Is it because our board are not philanthropic (no evidence of this) so will therefore sell our best young talent ( despite our board saying the opposite) and pocket the money (not sure how we will build anything if that's the case)? If that's the case what evidence do you have other than gut feel?

How many of our young talent do you feel we will lose - just give me your gut feeling.

As to MP in what way is he inconsistent? Results? Attitude to players? What?

MP is non committal about his future? Is that because he wants to focus on the here and now or?

Basically what you are saying is that we are at a cross roads because erm well? I'm not sure really. You seem to base your SFC Armageddon on no evidence.

My only concern would be if we were to lose MP as the knock on effect would be that we could potentially lose some of our more influential players. Personally tho I think he will be here for a little while longer than his current contract.

Oh and I don't feel you are being negative just a little ott. I think we will be building as all good teams should do.

Oh Christ, I came on here for a pre-bedtime wind down. Think I'll go back to my job application form..

It's not the fact that negative developments are possible this summer (so are positive ones), but don't the spirits just sink when you see - to no great surprise - exactly who is posting the negative scenario. "And I dont think I am being negative." Oh, if only he could see himself from others' perspective...

Oh Christ, I came on here for a pre-bedtime wind down. Think I'll go back to my job application form..

It's not the fact that negative developments are possible this summer (so are positive ones), but don't the spirits just sink when you see - to no great surprise - exactly who is posting the negative scenario. "And I dont think I am being negative." Oh, if only he could see himself from others' perspective...

The best bit for me was that, having played consistently well pretty much all season (even in the games we've lost) with no real let up in intensity, he still questions the manager. Just who exactly is alpine wanting to be the manager then? If he isn't that happy with MP after this season then wow. Incredible. I think we could have Guardiola in charge and Alpine would still pick holes in the management.

Also, these posts are always created after a loss. Had we got a point on Saturday, then he'd never have posted this. And Saturdays result had no actual bearing on the context of his post.

The best bit for me was that, having played consistently well pretty much all season (even in the games we've lost) with no real let up in intensity, he still questions the manager. Just who exactly is alpine wanting to be the manager then? If he isn't that happy with MP after this season then wow. Incredible. I think we could have Guardiola in charge and Alpine would still pick holes in the management.

Also, these posts are always created after a loss. Had we got a point on Saturday, then he'd never have posted this. And Saturdays result had no actual bearing on the context of his post.

Your fine points are just wasted i'm afraid. It's simply pointless to bother saying these things. He doesn't care. About you, about what you have to say, about Saints, and about reality.

Here, in a nutshell, is why I've saved my fiver. Same old boring flapping crap from same old boring people.

I hope we buy someone significant early in the window as a signal of intent to those who might be thinking "this lot will never get near the Champions' League", leading to a renewed commitment from the rest. If we lose Lallana and Shaw (can't see anyone else being particularly sought after) and absolutely worst case scenario Rodriguez too, we'll have to find some replacements, but that won't make us completely useless suddenly, and we're a good chunk of space ahead of half of the league despite a season full of injuries.

I don't know what's going to happen, but an exodus seems less likely than a renewed push.

Wow, someone on here lecturing me about thinking forwards to next season !!

Superb, lets hope some of the management at SFC arent as myopic (only we already know Mopo is, because he doesnt even want to think about his own position apparently, so its nailed-on that he isnt even think about which positions to strengthen and with whom..)

Wow, someone on here lecturing me about thinking forwards to next season !!

Superb, lets hope some of the management at SFC arent as myopic (only we already know Mopo is, because he doesnt even want to think about his own position apparently, so its nailed-on that he isnt even think about which positions to strengthen and with whom..)

He is on record saying he is planning for next season - I'm sure someone on here can dig it out

Yeah, well if he isnt even willing to discuss his own future with club officials, that "planning" has about as much basis in reality as the monkey petting zoo.

I love you Alps, you're one of the few miserable sods on here who aren't trolls, you really are just miserable :lol:

We'll probably be ok we've been in far worse situations in the years you've been supporting us.

Alpine, take heart in the fact that you've thought things were going down the pan for a few years now, yet in the end we've been improving our league position every year for quite a while. You've thought our transfer policy has been poor for a long time, but our squad is now better than it has been in years. You've thought our managers have had no idea, but our standard of play has risen over the years and we are more exciting to watch now than we have been for a long time.

We're a long way from perfect, but things have steadily improved and are currently pretty close to being about as good as we can ever really expect to be. So although there are plenty of things that aren't right, there's really very little for us to worry or complain about. You know that we have no real right to ever be able to compete with the very biggest clubs, so lower your hopes and expectations to fit in more with what you've become used to. Perhaps thinking things are bad when we are 8th or 9th and playing well is a sign of unrealistic ideas about where we should be. This is good for saints and our squad isn't more expensive than the clubs occupying the places above us.

Yeah, well if he isnt even willing to discuss his own future with club officials, that "planning" has about as much basis in reality as the monkey petting zoo.

He already has a contract for next season, you should be worried about the season after that. HTH

I had a terrible dream last night that alpine said we would stay in the premiership by the skin of our teeth but immediately said that we would ger relegated

to the chanmpionship in 2015/16 anf further relegation the season after that

Is life worth living given the premonitions of our very own old moores almanac

We've done well just to be in contention given the -10, but I'm not sure we'll ever find the consistency under Pardew. Convinced Lallana is good enough for Premier League though.

Don't think Lambert will hack it though, old and past it. Need to bring someone in, Grant Holt perhaps?

But was it not put about as being direct from a senior club official that Mauricio's contract is automatically prolonged on improved terms if we finish at least 8th this season. Why bother rushing to negociate if there is already an automatic process in place ?

This is all perfectly normal. When we do well we worry we will lose our manager and best players and when we do badly we worry anyway. It has always been so and always will be. If you are a worrier there is unfortunately no remedy. You could try to give up supporting Saints but as we all know you are unlikely to be successful.

Hey, I'm seriously worried about our chances next season. From reading the papers over the past few months we're barely going to have a 1st eleven to put out. According to the "press" we're selling

Calum, Dejan, Jos, Luke, Maya, Guly, Morgan, Jack, Adam, Jay, Rickie, Gaston, Sam and Dani. Added to that, we'll need 2 new keepers to replace our 2nd & 3rd choices, get rid of Mayuka and upgrade Jose'...

Who the fc k is going to be on our team?

:x

;)

Even Morgan Schneiderlin is pointing out in todays online Echo just how critical this summer is.

The one good thing out of that piece is that at least he seems to be open to staying with us, and hasnt already agreed/decided to leave.

I'm not so sure I share your confidence alps. He only says its possible for the group to stay together and that the club needs to continue to move forward, he also appears to be angling for a new contract as well as dictating to the board that they need to bring in new players. Telling them how to do their jobs perhaps? early signs of unrest and a ego bigger than the club? I hope not but when players start coming out and telling directors what they should be doing its early signs of unrest, IMO. Glad you've taken the positive slant on his comments though.

Edited by Turkish

I'm not so sure I share your confidence alps. He only says its possible for the group to stay together and that the club needs to continue to move forward, he also appears to be angling for a new contract as well as dictating to the board that they need to bring in new players. Telling them how to do their jobs perhaps? early signs of unrest and a ego bigger than the club? I hope not but when players start coming other and telling directors what they should be doing its early signs of unrest, IMO. Glad you've taken the positive slant on his comments though.

:lol:

Can anyone point me in the direction of one of those summers that wasn't critical, and no one cared who we bought, sold or kept?

Last summer?

The one before?

2006-7?

1998-9?

Just interested.

2012/13. According to some of the geniuses on here it didn't matter if we got relegated that season as we were already ahead of the five year plan. Also Hooliveld & Davis were definitely good enough for the premier league and didn't need replacing.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

As a neutral, I have been really impressed with the team. You play fluent, free flowing football and I have assumed that you will go from strength to strength. But after looking at some of the points on this thread, I realise that there is a danger that the 'big clubs' will come in and strip your team of its best players. I would hate to see that happen but that seems to be the pattern with the Premier league as it's so financially skewed towards the rich clubs. Swansea have so far held on to its best players but they were not as good as the English talent that you have got.

From MP's comments in today's press conference he is saying he wants to stay in Premier League but did not state at which club. He is defo off to Spurs this summer.

Anything is possible in football but this seems to be a most unlikely scenario. Consider the facts:

Spurs have no underlying football philosophy. This is just one of the reasons why they buy lots of expensive players without any idea about how they might fit together into a side. They think that they are a big club and that they deserve instant success. Any manager coming in has to deliver this instant success no matter how weak the materials he has to work with - they are expensive they must be good. If not he gets sacked within a year or so and is left to re-build his career in Bulgaria or Turkey.

MoPo on the other hand has a philosophy of grow your own and of continuous improvement. He likes to see that philosophy permeate the whole club and he likes to see everyone pulling in the same direction. He also wants to work in the Premier League (not Turkey or Bulgaria!) for a considerable period of time.

It just doesn't fit.