Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

I suspect we have offered to double his salary to £2m per annum for 3 years. Hence the £6m.

Sounds credible, but I suspect £6m is what MOPO agent is trying to squeeze out of Spurs, so has placed a bull**** story in the paper suggesting that's what Saints are offering.

I think we might need Turkish to tell us if we allowed to believe this story as I a not sure if it positive or negative.

I choose to believe the MP story, but not the Lallana transfer request one.

Sounds credible, but I suspect £6m is what MOPO agent is trying to squeeze out of Spurs, so has placed a bull**** story in the paper suggesting that's what Saints are offering.

Thing is Spurs would have their own credible sources and would know if this was agent talk.

Therein rests my real annoyance with Pochettino - and it's a very big one that makes me question his character. That saddens me more than I can say because, until now, I've been a big fan of his.

He is the only person in the club who had the ability to prevent this period of widespread instability from ever occurring - not Katharina or Ralph or Les Reed, but himself. Just a few words of commitment - even mild commitment - could have changed everything.

Instead, he has apparently chosen to adopt a policy of silence while he pursues employment elsewhere - and he's done this not as a fall-back option but as his main option.

Once embarked on that policy it's very difficult to change direction and plead for loyalty to the club from the key players. After all, he hasn't shown much himself.

As sad as it makes me to say this, I've pretty much already turned the page on Pochettino and I'm wondering - and worrying - about who's next.

So the fact that the manager, Chairman and Football Director have all said he is happy and has a year left on his contract which is why they cannot fathom all the concern has passed you by has it?

So the fact that the manager, Chairman and Football Director have all said he is happy and has a year left on his contract which is why they cannot fathom all the concern has passed you by has it?

I've heard them all say that he has a year left on his contract but never once (at least in the last month or so) heard any of them say that he is happy. Can you point to me to a recent quote?

And what seems to have "passed you by" is the point of my post - that Pochettino could have headed much of this off at the pass by saying that he wants to stay and wants to keep the squad together. Instead, we have complete silence while he appoints as his agent someone close to Levy and while the "Pochettino to Tottenham" stories gather pace by the day. And the more that happens, the more some of our key players eye the exit door.

All it needed (needs) was (is) some semblance of reassurance from MP that he wants to stay.

Chill everybody :) :) :) :)

I couldn't get any more chilled.

Just renewed my ST and you know why?

I support the Saints. Not MOPO, or Luke or Adam.

Love them all to stay but I'll be a fan long after they are gone.

When the players/manager/whoever feel how I feel about my team, then, and only then, will I give a flying f**k about them. Roll on the first game.

I've heard them all say that he has a year left on his contract but never once (at least in the last month or so) heard any of them say that he is happy. Can you point to me to a recent quote?

And what seems to have "passed you by" is the point of my post - that Pochettino could have headed much of this off at the pass by saying that he wants to stay and wants to keep the squad together. Instead, we have complete silence while he appoints as his agent someone close to Levy and while the "Pochettino to Tottenham" stories gather pace by the day. And the more that happens, the more some of our key players eye the exit door.

All it needed (needs) was (is) some semblance of reassurance from MP that he wants to stay.

Kruger, Les Reed and MoPo have all said in the last month variations of the fact that there is a year on his contract, that they are planning for the future and that they speak as a management team every day.

Kruger gave a very honest, live interview immediately after the United game saying that none of the three of him, Reed or MoPo can understand any of the nonsense in the media.

Surely that's enough?

If contract negotiations are on-going, great. But in whose interest would it be to speak to the press??

Kruger, Les Reed and MoPo have all said in the last month variations of the fact that there is a year on his contract, that they are planning for the future and that they speak as a management team every day.

Kruger gave a very honest, live interview immediately after the United game saying that none of the three of him, Reed or MoPo can understand any of the nonsense in the media.

Surely that's enough?

If contract negotiations are on-going, great. But in whose interest would it be to speak to the press??

So nobody has said that MP is "happy" here, as you claimed earlier - just continual repeats of the largely meaningless "year left on the contract" comment. And a lot has happened since then.

As I said, Pochettino was the only one with the ability to settle things down among the player group - and it is (to me) very telling that he has chosen not to do so. He didn't have to harm his bargaining position - "I'm hopeful we can get his sorted out" would have been much more helpful than keeping silent and appointing a Spurs-affiliated agent while the speculation surrounding him and key players escalates daily.

And if this situation is not helpful to Saints, it's not helpful to Pochettino if he has any intention of being here next season.

I understand your viewpoint. I just don't agree with it. Hopefully all will work out well, one way or another, but we're heading rapidly into painted corners and Pochettino seems to be holding the brush.

"And that came hot on the heels of speculation that Arsenal are also preparing a move for former Crystal Palace right back Nathaniel Clyne as a potential replacement for Manchester City-bound Sacary Bagna." Sacary Bagna lol... Well done Express haha

What a load of hysterical claptrap!

All players are on long term contracts.

This really is a media frenzy.

Correct!

Lallana 2018

Shaw 2018

Lovren 2017

Chambers 2017

Schneiderlin 2017

Clyne 2016

Unless there are specific clauses for these guys we are in a good position to retain / obtain silly transfer fees for them.

To be honest we should be equally concerned about Boruc, Cork and Steve Davis who's current deals run out in 2015.

Correct!

Lallana 2018

Shaw 2018

Lovren 2017

Chambers 2017

Schneiderlin 2017

Clyne 2016

Unless there are specific clauses for these guys we are in a good position to retain / obtain silly transfer fees for them.

To be honest we should be equally concerned about Boruc, Cork and Steve Davis who's current deals run out in 2015.

Heard Corky say the other day that he wants to sort a new contract out so hopefully that's 1 down.

As so often happens with the media, each outlet regurgitates the stories from its competitors, but to try to outdo them there is a tendency to enhance stories with speculation and even fabrication. The press stories are the current way of tapping up and inevitably will unsettle the manager and players who read about how wanted the press say they are. Pochettino could have put a stop to this by publicly stating his on-going commitment to Southampton. Equally, the Board should have seen that the speculation would grow and unless they were content to lose the manager they should have issued a simple statement reminding football that the manager and players are under contracts that the club will not agree to being broken. The week's silence since the Man U game has allowed the speculation to grow and looks increasingly like a shot in the foot that now needs stronger action to get things back on track. That action could be a statement that the manager has been offered a contract extension (which is common knowledge) and that bids for first team players will be refused, but also that if the manager decides not to extend his contract at this stage, the club will not release him early. Of course, if the board is prepared to let Pochettino leave, such a statement can't be made, but increasingly it looks as if the exit of the manager would leave a wide open door for players to follow.

The new management structure is looking very weak as no one seems to know whom is actually running things, KL from a distance or RK with limited powers. Maybe RK should adopt a simple approach to running SFC by asking himself, "what would NC have done?"

As so often happens with the media, each outlet regurgitates the stories from its competitors, but to try to outdo them there is a tendency to enhance stories with speculation and even fabrication. The press stories are the current way of tapping up and inevitably will unsettle the manager and players who read about how wanted the press say they are. Pochettino could have put a stop to this by publicly stating his on-going commitment to Southampton. Equally, the Board should have seen that the speculation would grow and unless they were content to lose the manager they should have issued a simple statement reminding football that the manager and players are under contracts that the club will not agree to being broken. The week's silence since the Man U game has allowed the speculation to grow and looks increasingly like a shot in the foot that now needs stronger action to get things back on track. That action could be a statement that the manager has been offered a contract extension (which is common knowledge) and that bids for first team players will be refused, but also that if the manager decides not to extend his contract at this stage, the club will not release him early. Of course, if the board is prepared to let Pochettino leave, such a statement can't be made, but increasingly it looks as if the exit of the manager would leave a wide open door for players to follow.

The new management structure is looking very weak as no one seems to know whom is actually running things, KL from a distance or RK with limited powers. Maybe RK should adopt a simple approach to running SFC by asking himself, "what would NC have done?"

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think it is for RK to say this. He's a Chairman who I believe has stated publicly he will have nothing to do with the sporting side of the club. KL is the owner and keeps a low profile. It's Les Reed who appears to have the responsibility for any chatter around the football side of the club. I don't think it is as straight forward as coming out and re-iterating what was said 3-4 weeks ago as that doesn't address the issues. The issues are that the club has repeatedly said things will be assessed at the end of the season and now we're here they have backed themselves into a corner and have in my eyes made themselves appear weak by not being able to deal with the Pochettino situation swiftly. Maybe Pochettino himself is playing games but why would you commit when you know a better offer could be coming along soon?

I reckon what they do to make up these bulls**t stories is this-

Put all our our players in a hat, pick one out.

Put all the big clubs in a hat, pick one out.

Then go on a random number generator to find a number between 10-30.

Article finished.

Pathetic.

In other words the media have no clue what is going on & are dragging out the story for as long as possible.

Spurs fans dont really want Poch, he would be crazy to go there IMO.

Do you really think he is remotely aware of what their fans may want, or what they are writing on their mongboards ? I doubt he was too concerned about supporter reaction on agreeing to the Saints job knowing (or perhaps he didn't) how popular Adkins was.

I don't disagree with you about it being a daft career move for him, but there's always the £££, which will cushion any minor set back.

Would be interesting to see if we could get a completely made up rumour into one of the red tops.

We managed to get the Dalian Wanda one in the Mirror / Sunday People so let's give this topic a go for a laugh!

We need something like being linked with a manager with a record of developing youth to stand any chance.

We managed to get the Dalian Wanda one in the Mirror / Sunday People so let's give this topic a go for a laugh!

We need something like being linked with a manager with a record of developing youth to stand any chance.

Dario Gradi has been linked with a return to management today at Southampton. The Crewe veteran and current academy director at Gresty Road is set to be offered a shock return to front line management and a first stab at the Premier League by Chairman Ralph Kruger......