Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Conversations with well-connected spurs fans - not claiming they or I are ITK.

However there seems to be a bit of interest for Mancini just these last days. I am not at all convinced Mauricio wants to go there at all, just that he doesn't want to get shafted with a team of kids at SFC.

Crazy really. We want to keep him, Spurs fans aren't keen on him, yet Levy has made him top target.

I understand de Boer has been away recently, and is back in Holland today. I wonder if Spurs will have a cheeky word with him before they go for Pochettino...

I'm very Meh about this. My dream is we keep everyone bar Osvaldo and strengthen with 3/4 players but the chances of that happening are slimmer than Keira Knightley's jeans. As it goes though, I care more about the players leaving than Pochettino, as long as the appointment of the next guy is correctly thought through.

Managers are far easier to replace than players. Keeping Poch could make our wanted players feel happier about staying, but the club can keep the players whether Poch stays or goes. Just wish they'd make it clear that all of this week's speculation has not changed anything as far as refusing bids for our star players is concerned because if we are unsettled by it as fans, its easy to imagine how unsettling it must be for the players, and not just the ones named but the whole squad. Players can be held to their contracts and it would help for the football world to be told again that Southampton intend to do that despite the stories to the contrary.

As for the manager, I hope they let Poch go because I think he's lost a lot of credibility this week and hopefully the Board are in the process of recruiting a top quality replacement who will be given a healthy transfer budget.

Noddles only wants pooch to go to spurs and then he can apply for the vacancy at SMS . After all it's his spiritual home and us fans would welcome him back as the prodigal son ....... Not

Hoddle and Moyes as possible manager for Saints at St Mary's. Is this still 2001 ?

As for the manager, I hope they let Poch go because I think he's lost a lot of credibility this week and hopefully the Board are in the process of recruiting a top quality replacement who will be given a healthy transfer budget.

What? Credibility with whom? You? The Media? Or more importantly the players of whose opinion you have utterly no knowledge! Just because you're unsettled, so are the players?

You're spouting utter claptrap, pull your neck in and since you can have no knowledge whatsoever as to what MPs plans are, leave it until SFC publicly state what is happening!

Saints or Poch haven't said anything this week. Don't blame them for the rubbish that has filled the vacuum.

Season only finished a week ago. Peeps needs a holiday. I'd suspect this next week will be when we start seeing things happening.

Makes sense I guess. PL = loads of wonga so a lot want to come here if one of the other top European clubs not available. Barcelona is vacant. Conte @ Juve was a bit undecided but he has just signed a new contract. So looking at PL, Spurs is the biggest job going.

My money is on the manager and our entire squad being together with a few new entrants and a genuine European challenge next season. Perhaps a cup.

You had to change your user name because of the rubbish you posted. You then came out with Ormerod being our best ever striker or some rubbish like that (And even suggested you were right the other day!!!) He wasn't> And we wont keep the entire squad together.

You have to worry about some of the people that post on here

Managers are far easier to replace than players. Keeping Poch could make our wanted players feel happier about staying, but the club can keep the players whether Poch stays or goes. Just wish they'd make it clear that all of this week's speculation has not changed anything as far as refusing bids for our star players is concerned because if we are unsettled by it as fans, its easy to imagine how unsettling it must be for the players, and not just the ones named but the whole squad. Players can be held to their contracts and it would help for the football world to be told again that Southampton intend to do that despite the stories to the contrary.

How has he lost any credibility ? He hasn't said anything . You're just going on press ********.

You chat more sh*te than me and that's some achievement.

Steady drift on Betfair throughout the day from around 4/6 this morning to 11/10 now.....

Roberto Mancini a mover in the market and now third favourite for the a Spurs job ... let's hope there's something in that as well.

They have all said that MoPo is happy with the situation - you can play semantics all day long.

Are you expecting a daily update of his emotional state? ;)

This is top class sport - you should ignore everything you read in the press and assume that everything is being done professionally as it has been at this club since Markus bought it!

It would be lunacy for anyone to say anything to the press.

If Mo is negotiating a new contract wouldn't it be a little naïve to come out and say he has no intention of leaving?

And if Ralph said 'we're desperate to keep him' it would be equally naïve.

Not one word reported in the press has any substance. Not one. No quotes. Nothing. Nada. Zilcho.

It's all speculation. And the best approach is to totally ignore it. As I'm sure the management and players do.

The four players we are 'concerned about' are all preparing for the biggest tournament of their lives. Which will be their primary focus right now.

What you can be assured is that...

We survived the departure of McMenemy.

We survived the departure of Hoddle.

We survived the departure of Strachan.

We survived Rupert Lowe.

We survived losing Pardew (most on here were suicidal).

We survived losing Adkins (most on here were homicidal towards Nicola).

We will survive whatever this summer throws at us.

My money is on the manager and our entire squad being together with a few new entrants and a genuine European challenge next season. Perhaps a cup.

Spot on! My thoughts exactly!

It strikes me that Mopo is a tough competitor. At whatever he does -be it as a plAyer or as a manager or in negotiating the best deal for his future.

Should saints fans be taking umbrage at someone who is like that and should they be surprised at how difficult he is to " get one over"?

It is his nature and part of why he is so good at doing what he does. When and if he is back with z new deal at SMS expect that same attitude -but this time focused totally on Saints behalf.

If his optimism about his value exceeded the reality and exceeded the historical upwards gradient line of results achieved them i would criticise him and say he was foolishly unrealistic but he is not and he is just " playing the game" and playing it very well.

There is no disrespect in doing the best you can for yourself when it is the time to do so. For the next 5 years in return i would, if i wasKL, expectvthat he would sacrifice himself totally to make Saints the best they can be too.

So-if he stays -brilliant, if he goes, so be it but i hope it is not the high water mark of saints time as an " ambitious" club...

Edited by Giordano

Even if he does stay, to me it will be like your Mrs having had an affair and coming back because she has been spurned by her lover and being accepted back because of your love for her (and you bribing her). While things might return to normal. underneath it certainly isn't the same.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager

Nice comprehensive list.

As things stand the best odds you can get (ie longest) seem to be

MP - 1/2 (Betfred)

FdB - 5/2 (Skybet)

RM - 10/1 (Coral)

Will be interesting to see how things change.

If supposedly Mancini has confirmed his availability (Tancredi Palmeri), then I think 10/1 looks great odds!

Even if he does stay, to me it will be like your Mrs having had an affair and coming back because she has been spurned by her lover and being accepted back because of your love for her (and you bribing her). While things might return to normal. underneath it certainly isn't the same.

seemed to work out ok for Suarez and LFC fans, though I am not sure what facts you are using to decide Mopo has had an affair

Why?

It's nothing like that at all, more like a load of unknown folks have spread gossip about your Mrs, and you have refused to listen to her side yet... There might be nothing in it as she says you guys are married, so why the lack of Trust?

MP is understand contract for another 12 months. Quite rightly he is probably wanting to see what is happening with the squad this summer before committing to a new longer term contract. Take away the tools to see progress next season, then you take away the motivation to continue. Only fair he might consider alternatives if we can't offer any guarantees yet on who will stay.

I have been weak and must not act like a jealous and suspicious husband.

We haven't been talking for weeks, where do her intentions lay? Why is she making covetous glances at that man with the huge cock(erel)?

Have I neglected her and not paid her due attention, or does she feel that she has outgrown me? Am I the man I once was?

You can get 2.44 with Betfair

I wouldn't put too much store in all the newspaper talk and betting odds.

Remember that :

1. Poch is still playing the "No speaker Englaiseee" card with the press via his interpreter in his interviews even though we all know this is bogus. More importantly, so do the players and they seem more than happy to go along with it. This indicates that Poch is more than happy to play the media when it suits him.

2. Poch was quite happy that Saints didn't qualify for the UEFA cup and didn't exactly seem interested in going for the FA Cup last term.

3. In Saints recent transfer activity they seem to always be fishing in the same ponds as a certain Mr. B Rodgers of Liverpool. (Lovren, Gaston, Coutinho, Wanyama)

4. Poch has been vocal about taking Saints as high as could have been expected this season. Makes him look good and sets the scene for next season.

Poch holds all the cards at the moment and he knows it so either he's (a) trying to get as good a deal from Tottenham as possible or (b) putting the board under pressure to back him lining up a possible Saints push for the Champions League next season in the same vain as Liverpool's outstanding season this year.

If it is (b) then having this sense of a club on the edge about to disintegrate suits him. If the pulls something off he looks great, if it goes a bit wrong next season then he can point to instability in the close season and his stock is still high.

It wouldn't surprise me to have another couple of weeks with all sorts of rumours about everyone from Poch and Lallana down to the tea lady leaving with nothing much actually happening (apart from maybe Osvaldo and Gaston going), followed by a surprise signing of a contract extension along with unveiling of a couple of marquee signings.

There's games being played behind the scenes at the moment just as there is very Saturday when he fronts up with that translator but, unless the board are being incredibly shortsighted, I can't see how a move to Spurs would benefit Poch in the long run. Taking a young Mainly English squad even further would do however. Going to be a fascinating summer.

I wouldn't put too much store in all the newspaper talk and betting odds.

Remember that :

1. Poch is still playing the "No speaker Englaiseee" card with the press via his interpreter in his interviews even though we all know this is bogus. More importantly, so do the players and they seem more than happy to go along with it. This indicates that Poch is more than happy to play the media when it suits him.

2. Poch was quite happy that Saints didn't qualify for the UEFA cup and didn't exactly seem interested in going for the FA Cup last term.

3. In Saints recent transfer activity they seem to always be fishing in the same ponds as a certain Mr. B Rodgers of Liverpool. (Lovren, Gaston, Coutinho, Wanyama)

4. Poch has been vocal about taking Saints as high as could have been expected this season. Makes him look good and sets the scene for next season.

Poch holds all the cards at the moment and he knows it so either he's (a) trying to get as good a deal from Tottenham as possible or (b) putting the board under pressure to back him lining up a possible Saints push for the Champions League next season in the same vain as Liverpool's outstanding season this year.

If it is (b) then having this sense of a club on the edge about to disintegrate suits him. If the pulls something off he looks great, if it goes a bit wrong next season then he can point to instability in the close season and his stock is still high.

It wouldn't surprise me to have another couple of weeks with all sorts of rumours about everyone from Poch and Lallana down to the tea lady leaving with nothing much actually happening (apart from maybe Osvaldo and Gaston going), followed by a surprise signing of a contract extension along with unveiling of a couple of marquee signings.

There's games being played behind the scenes at the moment just as there is very Saturday when he fronts up with that translator but, unless the board are being incredibly shortsighted, I can't see how a move to Spurs would benefit Poch in the long run. Taking a young Mainly English squad even further would do however. Going to be a fascinating summer.

Yes, this. And he has to work with Levy.

I really dont understand why this is persisting. If he is really interested then, well, maybe hes not the manager we think he is.

Yes, this. And he has to work with Levy.

I really dont understand why this is persisting. If he is really interested then, well, maybe hes not the manager we think he is.

As I have said before, its called negotiation. Its taking longer than we want, but otherwise its what I would do in his place - get a better pay deal and a promise of funds / limited player sales, all the while knowing other clubs want you

As I have said before, its called negotiation. Its taking longer than we want, but otherwise its what I would do in his place - get a better pay deal and a promise of funds / limited player sales, all the while knowing other clubs want you

I think it's even more than that. It's setting the scene for Poch to ride in on his white horse and be the genius manager who stayed loyal to Saints despite a tempting offer from a bigger club and held his squad together despite the sharks circling so he could take them to the next level and challenge the big boys. Note how Jose always plays down his hand in public (Chelsea are a little horse apparently with a young, inexperienced squad - as if !!!). I reckon Poch is doing something similar so if next year he falls short he still looks good. He stands to get a far better reputation by sticking with Saints than gambling with Spurs. Expect this situation to drag on for a few weeks before things become clear

I think it's even more than that. It's setting the scene for Poch to ride in on his white horse and be the genius manager who stayed loyal to Saints despite a tempting offer from a bigger club and held his squad together despite the sharks circling so he could take them to the next level and challenge the big boys. Note how Jose always plays down his hand in public (Chelsea are a little horse apparently with a young, inexperienced squad - as if !!!). I reckon Poch is doing something similar so if next year he falls short he still looks good. He stands to get a far better reputation by sticking with Saints than gambling with Spurs. Expect this situation to drag on for a few weeks before things become clear

As the Bee Gees would say, its only words.

I'm guessing an announcement next Friday evening 30th. As that is the last day of season ticket renewals. The nearer we get to that the more likely we should be expecting bad news.

The season ticket sales are a red herring. In comparison to TV money etc, they have little impact and the reality is that very few people will not renew based on a manager or player leaving.

I guess we are just going to have to sweat it out.

The season ticket sales are a red herring. In comparison to TV money etc, they have little impact and the reality is that very few people will not renew based on a manager or player leaving.

I guess we are just going to have to sweat it out.

True enough, we know that we will continue to support but does the club.