Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Do you really think he is remotely aware of what their fans may want, or what they are writing on their mongboards ? I doubt he was too concerned about supporter reaction on agreeing to the Saints job knowing (or perhaps he didn't) how popular Adkins was.

I don't disagree with you about it being a daft career move for him, but there's always the £££, which will cushion any minor set back.

It´s stranger imo that Levy wouldn´t know the fans feelings and go for another young manager who in the fans eyes is deemed not good enough.

After the latest manager mistakes I would´ve thought that Levy would go for a big experienced name...

We managed to get the Dalian Wanda one in the Mirror / Sunday People so let's give this topic a go for a laugh!

We need something like being linked with a manager with a record of developing youth to stand any chance.

Just send Alex Crook a tweet asking if he has heard anything about a particular player/manager and it will be in the Mirror or Star within days.

Here's a way to look strong:

Announce that Pochettino has been dismissed for lack of loyalty to the club and that an offer has been made to David Moyes to rebuild his career and reputation, linked with a statement that the new manager has been given substantial transfer funds and that no player will be allowed to leave who the new manager wishes to retain.

OH! Who nudged me? I've just woken up from a wonderful dream.....

Here's a way to look strong:

Announce that Pochettino has been dismissed for lack of loyalty to the club and that an offer has been made to David Moyes to rebuild his career and reputation, linked with a statement that the new manager has been given substantial transfer funds and that no player will be allowed to leave who the new manager wishes to retain.

OH! Who nudged me? I've just woken up from a wonderful dream.....

Nightmare.

The argument that MP would be crazy to go to spurs and their revolving door manager policy is a little absurd. He joined us didn't he?

Yes but he was out of work at the time. Was more of a gamble for us than it was him. Now, the situation is reversed. He is in a stable job, seems happy, comfortable, yet he could jump ship to a club where if he doesn't finish top 4 next season, could be out of a job and back to square one. He'd then probably get appointed by a club in the same manner we were last season. This would then take him another 18 months to rebuild before getting another big chance. Big decision for Poch. I still believe he can take us further and is better staying here. The road doesn't end here for his ambitions at Saints.

Can we not just put him on gardening leave for the rest of his contract and move to find another manager

Probably something on the agenda if KL is arranging a "crisis" meeting as suggested. Obviously depends on his contract and how flexible it is. It may be that his "buy out" of £2m gives him the option of moving on.

It's a shame more clubs don't adopt this stance. (Mainz have done this with Tuchel who is mentioned on another thread as a potential replacement).

Dario Gradi has been linked with a return to management today at Southampton. The Crewe veteran and current academy director at Gresty Road is set to be offered a shock return to front line management and a first stab at the Premier League by Chairman Ralph Kruger......

Yes but he was out of work at the time. Was more of a gamble for us than it was him. Now, the situation is reversed. He is in a stable job, seems happy, comfortable, yet he could jump ship to a club where if he doesn't finish top 4 next season, could be out of a job and back to square one. He'd then probably get appointed by a club in the same manner we were last season. This would then take him another 18 months to rebuild before getting another big chance. Big decision for Poch. I still believe he can take us further and is better staying here. The road doesn't end here for his ambitions at Saints.

The sound of £££ and his agent - whose commission might be dependent on it - might be telling him different.

Not sure he, the players or we know where the SFC road is leading, therein lies part of the problem.

Because that would effectively be a sacking, especially if he hasn't done anything wrong.

we don't need to give him a reason do we, managers get sacked all the time, **** him if he thinks he can play games with us then he needs to learn a lesson and putting him out of action for a year would be the right thing to do, he aint bigger than the club. He needs an ultimatum, tell him there's a contract on the table to be signed, give him a deadline if he doesn't sign it, then it's gardening leave with a replacement brought in.

we don't need to give him a reason do we, managers get sacked all the time, **** him if he thinks he can play games with us then he needs to learn a lesson and putting him out of action for a year would be the right thing to do, he aint bigger than the club. He needs an ultimatum, tell him there's a contract on the table to be signed, give him a deadline if he doesn't sign it, then it's gardening leave with a replacement brought in.

No doubt KL will consult Allen & Overy on any such action, depending on his contract. Now A&O (global law firm) v Jonathan Barrett , pretty clear who will have the 'heavyweights' on their side if needed.

I reckon what they do to make up these bulls**t stories is this-

Put all our our players in a hat, pick one out.

Put all the big clubs in a hat, pick one out.

Then go on a random number generator to find a number between 10-30.

Article finished.

Pathetic.

I think you could actually make an excel spreadsheet to do that, with a new headline every time you hit the return key.

I might have a go next time I'm sitting with nothing to do.

The sound of £££ and his agent - whose commission might be dependent on it - might be telling him different.

Not sure he, the players or we know where the SFC road is leading, therein lies part of the problem.

It's always assumed agents get paid only when a player/manager moves and that it is therefore in their interests to agitate people and prompt a move.

While that is true in some cases, agents are paid by their clients on a percentage of their contract. If MoPo agrees to a big new contract at Saints, Barnett will get a percentage of that.

The agent's role should be to always negotiate the best deal for his client, no matter where that might be. Barnett is supposed to be MoPo's agent, not Spurs.

Spurs might approach his agent, but they shouldn't - in practice - cough up any money to him as he is not their agent.

"And that came hot on the heels of speculation that Arsenal are also preparing a move for former Crystal Palace right back Nathaniel Clyne as a potential replacement for Manchester City-bound Sacary Bagna." Sacary Bagna lol... Well done Express haha

Awesome!

The only comparable situation I can think of is when Pardew wanted out of Reading and in to WHU, he was put on Gardening for a while, but it wasn't really Reading calling the shots, they were just about saving face.

That kind of playground posturing you are suggesting is not going to benefit anyone and would achieve precisely nothing.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this has dragged on too long, there have been too many media articles, too many signs that MP is open to offers elsewhere for him to go on with our long-term plans; just can't picture him being our manager next season now.

So if Yeovil offered him a £10M contract he'd be off there? 'Cos his agent (who is only interested in his fees apparently) and the sounds of the pounds tell him so?

Don't think so. If he was at the end of his time in football management, maybe, but he is just starting to build an arguably international career and reputation.

That career progression and enhancement, I think, will be the driver, the money will be (maybe only slightly) secondary.

So perhaps the question we should be striving to answer is this - is leaving go to to Spurs a better 'career' enhancing move than staying with Saints?

If you are trying to spread a rumour what about trying this one:-

"Southampton lawyers are currently drafting a legally binding "24 month NO Poaching" contract which Spurs will have to sign before they can approach Pochettino, meaning that no Saints' player can following him to whl for 2 seasons.

This is been done because of broken verbal promises when Hoddle moved there in 2001 and returned for Dean Richards a few months later when his career at Spurs started poorly"

I would expect that one paper would pick up on that one and imo more Spurs fans will question approaching him - No JayRod, Adam, Luke etc.

If you are trying to spread a rumour what about trying this one:-

"Southampton lawyers are currently drafting a legally binding "24 month NO Poaching" contract which Spurs will have to sign before they can approach Pochettino, meaning that no Saints' player can following him to whl for 2 seasons.

This is been done because of broken verbal promises when Hoddle moved there in 2001 and returned for Dean Richards a few months later when his career at Spurs started poorly"

I would expect that one paper would pick up on that one and imo more Spurs fans will question approaching him - No JayRod, Adam, Luke etc.

Is that kind of agreement legally enforceable? Party A (spurs/mopo) cant sign a contract with party B (saints) that restricts movement of party C (saints player), surely?

Restrictive covenants in other industries only prevent party A approaching party C at party B's request. If party C approaches party A, however, there's nothing party B can do about it

So nobody has said that MP is "happy" here, as you claimed earlier - just continual repeats of the largely meaningless "year left on the contract" comment. And a lot has happened since then.

As I said, Pochettino was the only one with the ability to settle things down among the player group - and it is (to me) very telling that he has chosen not to do so. He didn't have to harm his bargaining position - "I'm hopeful we can get his sorted out" would have been much more helpful than keeping silent and appointing a Spurs-affiliated agent while the speculation surrounding him and key players escalates daily.

And if this situation is not helpful to Saints, it's not helpful to Pochettino if he has any intention of being here next season.

I understand your viewpoint. I just don't agree with it. Hopefully all will work out well, one way or another, but we're heading rapidly into painted corners and Pochettino seems to be holding the brush.

They have all said that MoPo is happy with the situation - you can play semantics all day long.

Are you expecting a daily update of his emotional state? ;)

This is top class sport - you should ignore everything you read in the press and assume that everything is being done professionally as it has been at this club since Markus bought it!

It would be lunacy for anyone to say anything to the press.

If Mo is negotiating a new contract wouldn't it be a little naïve to come out and say he has no intention of leaving?

And if Ralph said 'we're desperate to keep him' it would be equally naïve.

Not one word reported in the press has any substance. Not one. No quotes. Nothing. Nada. Zilcho.

It's all speculation. And the best approach is to totally ignore it. As I'm sure the management and players do.

The four players we are 'concerned about' are all preparing for the biggest tournament of their lives. Which will be their primary focus right now.

What you can be assured is that...

We survived the departure of McMenemy.

We survived the departure of Hoddle.

We survived the departure of Strachan.

We survived Rupert Lowe.

We survived losing Pardew (most on here were suicidal).

We survived losing Adkins (most on here were homicidal towards Nicola).

We will survive whatever this summer throws at us.

My money is on the manager and our entire squad being together with a few new entrants and a genuine European challenge next season. Perhaps a cup.

LSC, it's not "semantics" to correct your inaccurate statement that Pochettino has said he's happy. He hasn't said any such thing.

And I never suggested that Pochettino should say he has no intention of leaving. I said that he could settle things somewhat by saying that he hopes things can be worked out and that we can keep the squad together - not by staying silent while key players are heavily-linked with other clubs and he's heavily-linked to Tottenham - and then appointing a Spurs-linked agent. That's not "a daily update of his emotional state" but something that could help to quell the frenzy going on right now. The stories have made the transition from the garbage media into more credible sources, and even Hodgson is troubled by them (which in itself adds to their credibility). I'm not sure what places you in a position to know that there's no substance to those stories because they're coming from all directions.

Krueger and Co have made it clear that they want to keep Pochettino and that we won't sell anyone he wants to keep. They're trying hard to sort things out but they're getting no help at all from Pochettino. I thought we were all supposed to be on the same team here. As I said, all this speculation is not helpful to the club - and it's not helpful to Pochettino himself if he has any intention of being here next season.

Yes, we've survived a lot over the years and I'm also hopeful that this will work out in the end - Pochettino or no Pochettino, Lallana or no Lallana, and Shaw or no Shaw. But when the list of uncertain commitment keeps growing, it's time to settle things down.

But I get it - we don't agree on how things should be handled, and that's fine.

LSC, it's not "semantics" to correct your inaccurate statement that Pochettino has said he's happy. He hasn't said any such thing.

And I never suggested that Pochettino should say he has no intention of leaving. I said that he could settle things somewhat by saying that he hopes things can be worked out and that we can keep the squad together - not by staying silent while key players are heavily-linked with other clubs and he's heavily-linked to Tottenham - and then appointing a Spurs-linked agent. That's not "a daily update of his emotional state" but something that could help to quell the frenzy going on right now (for whose benefit? Ours as fans? Other teams as competitors?). The stories have made the transition from the garbage media into more credible sources (only by those willing to believe it is true), and even Hodgson is troubled by them (which in itself adds to their credibility - no it doesn't, all it says is that RH us troubled by all the media speculation). I'm not sure what places you in a position to know that there's no substance to those stories because they're coming from all directions (not sure what places you in a position to know that there IS substance to those stories just because they're apparently coming from all directions).

Krueger and Co have made it clear that they want to keep Pochettino and that we won't sell anyone he wants to keep. They're trying hard to sort things out (unproven speculation but likely) but they're getting no help at all from Pochettino (unproven speculation based upon lack of publicly released statements from SFC or the MP). I thought we were all supposed to be on the same team here. As I said, all this speculation is not helpful to the club (no, for us fans) - and it's not helpful to Pochettino himself if he has any intention of being here next season (you perhaps presume he believes all that he reads).

But I get it - we don't agree on how things should be handled, and that's fine. - agreed!

or look at it this way......

They have all said that MoPo is happy with the situation - you can play semantics all day long.

This is top class sport - you should ignore everything you read in the press and assume that everything is being done professionally as it has been at this club since Markus bought it!

If Mo is negotiating a new contract wouldn't it be a little naïve to come out and say he has no intention of leaving?

Not one word reported in the press has any substance. Not one. No quotes. Nothing. Nada. Zilcho.

It's all speculation. And the best approach is to totally ignore it. As I'm sure the management and players do.

The four players we are 'concerned about' are all preparing for the biggest tournament of their lives. Which will be their primary focus right now.

We survived Rupert Lowe.

My money is on the manager and our entire squad being together with a few new entrants and a genuine European challenge next season. Perhaps a cup.

I was with you all the way until your last three words!

We survived Rupert Lowe.

You seriously think we're not going to sell a single player?