Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

I live in north london mate/heartfordshire. I'm sure the players and staff dont actually live near the ground

like the players and staff at saints dont live in St Marys street

dont be so mental in thinking that London is not a monumental pull for a Euro/argie professional

Having lived in London for the best part of 20 years, I am well aware what it is like.

And you may well live in Heartfordshire [sic] but that ain't near where the action happens in London.

So is this ******? http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476362/EXCLUSIVE-Break-the-bank-Southampton-s-6m-to-keep-Pochettino

Nicer location?? Have you ever been to N17 and the area north of London (or for that matter London itself)?

Ah the Daily Express, the paper that has us regularily Due to suffer a cold snap colder than the worst winters day in Antartica, a Heatwave with temperatures that would turn the Sahara to glass, and Winds fiercer that those experienced in Red Spot storm on Jupiter!! And not fogetting the Sighting of Diana riding Shergar round at Lord Lucan's.

Having lived in London for the best part of 20 years, I am well aware what it is like.

And you may well live in Heartfordshire [sic] but that ain't near where the action happens in London.

either way, the pull of london and its area is massive for people who worked in Paris and Barcelona

Ah the Daily Express, the paper that has us regularily Due to suffer a cold snap colder than the worst winters day in Antartica, a Heatwave with temperatures that would turn the Sahara to glass, and Winds fiercer that those experienced in Red Spot storm on Jupiter!! And not fogetting the Sighting of Diana riding Shergar round at Lord Lucan's.

I agree, but I wouldn't particularly single out this red top from any of the others. However, this is different from all of the other stories as it is the only one printed showing the club to be proactive.

So far I can determine the following:

Pooch - Last week the express said he was staying and now this week he is going.

Yakin - Has been linked with us, Sampdoria, Lazio, Frankfurt and thats just in the last 5mins on twitter

Di Matteo - Some swiss links to Basel

Tuchel - Update - Window Cleaner says Stuttgart

Koeman - Was begging for the swansea job in March, so he can jog on http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ronald-koeman-swansea-manager-job-3237655

Edited by Convict Colony

dont be so mental in thinking that London is not a monumental pull for a Euro/argie professional

Why is it mental? What makes you so sure that 'everybody' would prefer to live in London given the choice? Personally I would hate to live in London. It's just so f***ing busy everywhere you go, full of people so completely stuck in their own little bubble or up their own a*se that nobody has any time for anyone else. It's one of the most soul-less, unfriendly places I have ever visited. What makes you so absolutely certain that Poch doesn't see it that way as well? Did he tell you himself? No, he didn't. So stop making bullsh*t assumptions about everyone based on your own opinions.

Ah Bexy, I feel like you, but then I was born down here and prefer it here. Even my Mrs, after initially missing the hustle and bustle, now concedes she wouldn't go back. For players, who are younger than me, I guess there is an attraction, much in the same way that I liked it when I was younger. Now I avoid it like the plague and only go up when I have to. And let's face it, if you want the action, living in say Basingstoke area, you can get to where things are happening just as quickly as if you were in Herts - and let's not forget, these guys are more than able to afford a driver for the evening.

Why is it mental? What makes you so sure that 'everybody' would prefer to live in London given the choice? Personally I would hate to live in London. It's just so f***ing busy everywhere you go, full of people so completely stuck in their own little bubble or up their own a*se that nobody has any time for anyone else. It's one of the most soul-less, unfriendly places I have ever visited. What makes you so absolutely certain that Poch doesn't see it that way as well? Did he tell you himself? No, he didn't. So stop making bullsh*t assumptions about everyone based on your own opinions.

it seems MP does, for starters. Which is all that matters here at the mo

unless that has absolutely ZERO bearing on his proposed move

So far I can determine the following:

Pooch - Last week the express said he was staying and now this week he is going.

Yakin - Has been linked with us, Sampdoria, Lazio, Frankfurt and thats just in the last 5mins on twitter

Di Matteo - Some swiss links to Basel

Tuchel - Can't find anything so this is the most interesting/possible for us

Koeman - Was begging for the swansea job in March, so he can jog on http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ronald-koeman-swansea-manager-job-3237655

Tuchel was touted as a candidate for Stuttgart the other day, probably in L'Equipe.

it seems MP does, for starters. Which is all that matters here at the mo

unless that has absolutely ZERO bearing on his proposed move

The simple fact is that you, like everybody else on here, have no idea what he is thinking. All we have to go on at the moment is that Spurs have apparently made him their primary target and have offered a large sum of money for him to go there. Anything other than that is, at the moment, pure speculation. For you to presume you know that the chance to live in London is going to be a decisive factor in his deliberations is just as 'mental'.

The simple fact is that you, like everybody else on here, have no idea what he is thinking. All we have to go on at the moment is that Spurs have apparently made him their primary target and have offered a large sum of money for him to go there. Anything other than that is, at the moment, pure speculation. For you to presume you know that the chance to live in London is going to be a decisive factor in his deliberations is just as 'mental'.

I said it is a massive pull. That is my opinion

SB

Please explain why you think the club are week ?

You, me uncle tom etc do not know what is going on behind the scenes, maybe its a done deal maybe its not,

If spurs are so cock sure they have their man which I dont think thay have, it would have been announced by now

The longer this drags on the more I believe he will be staying with us. Yes Im in a minority we have no real facts to make a coherent comment only the press and bedwetters crap that is posted day in day out.

At the end of the day we should not presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress

I would also move if someone offered me a whacking pay rise for doing the same job. In probably more desirable location

who wouldnt?

Even if you already had more money than you could ever spend.

Football is full of mercenaries. Loyalty is from a bygone era.

I see simon peach is full of inspirational reporting

This has probably already mention on here especially the mclaren comment

Southampton update! Murat Yakin could replace Pochettino at Saints, claims Peach

By talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) | Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Press Association reporter Simon Peach believes former FC Basel manager Murat Yakin is an outside bet for the Southampton top job.

Current chief Mauricio Pochettino is set to join Tottenham in the coming days, after reports comfirmed Spurs are in 'advanced talks' with the Argentine.

And Peach claims the Saints have their eye on Yakin, 39, along with Derby boss Steve McClaren.

"McClaren is one name that has been thrown in to the ring and makes sense on a number of levels," he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. "He’s done fantastically well with Derby this season.

“The outsider is Murat Yakin,” he added. “He’s done a fantastic job at Basel and has recently left the club. Southampton’s owners are Swiss, he plays good football and he doesn’t speak English, so he ticks all the boxes! He’s an outsider for me.”

Even if you already had more money than you could ever spend.

Football is full of mercenaries. Loyalty is from a bygone era.

Just made me think of Mattys comment in his Testimonial programme I think, when he was sat with his agent and Terry Vegetables was on the phone wanting him to sign for Spurs the conversation went along the lines of "Matt it's Terry wanting you to sign for him at Spurs, what shall I say" from vague recall Matts response was "tell him to F off!".

Like Viking just said nearly Midday and nowts been said.

Why would they until it's a done deal?

What happens if they announce he is in talks with Spurs, and the talks fall through? Fans will have been ******ed off that Pochettino wanted talks, and then they'd have to forget that he wanted to leave. What other clubs have announced that their Manager is in talks with another club when they've been poached.

In this case though it's the worst kept secret that he's in talks, not surprised in the slightest that he's going.

I see simon peach is full of inspirational reporting

This has probably already mention on here especially the mclaren comment

Southampton update! Murat Yakin could replace Pochettino at Saints, claims Peach

By talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) | Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Press Association reporter Simon Peach believes former FC Basel manager Murat Yakin is an outside bet for the Southampton top job.

Current chief Mauricio Pochettino is set to join Tottenham in the coming days, after reports comfirmed Spurs are in 'advanced talks' with the Argentine.

And Peach claims the Saints have their eye on Yakin, 39, along with Derby boss Steve McClaren.

"McClaren is one name that has been thrown in to the ring and makes sense on a number of levels," he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. "He’s done fantastically well with Derby this season.

“The outsider is Murat Yakin,” he added. “He’s done a fantastic job at Basel and has recently left the club. Southampton’s owners are Swiss, he plays good football and he doesn’t speak English, so he ticks all the boxes! He’s an outsider for me.”

Link to audio of this interview.

http://talksport.com/football/southampton-update-murat-yakin-could-replace-pochettino-saints-claims-peach-14052792989

It is interesting to read this. I live and work surrounded by Tottenham fans, and almost to a man and woman they are not warm towards Poch at all.

If he does show up at WHL as their new manager and they do not get off to a flyer, they feel that the crowd will be on his back and Levy will pull the trigger again.

A so called "liked and wanted" manager might buy himself more time.

But then I suppose, Poch proved us wrong when we rather "luke warmedly" heralded his entrance to Saints over the fairly popular NA ! He's done it once and I suppose he can do it again

It is interesting to read this. I live and work surrounded by Tottenham fans, and almost to a man and woman they are not warm towards Poch at all.

If he does show up at WHL as their new manager and they do not get off to a flyer, they feel that the crowd will be on his back and Levy will pull the trigger again.

A so called "liked and wanted" manager might buy himself more time.

But then I suppose, Poch proved us wrong when we rather "luke warmedly" heralded his entrance to Saints over the fairly popular NA ! He's done it once and I suppose he can do it again

They are of course entitled to their opinion. For me the combination of Pochettino and the squad that they have there plus 2 new CBs is dynamite, he'll take it far, top 4 next season which is where he and they want to be.

He has to be given permission to talk with spurs,so if this is the case then isn't obvious that the saints board are not fussed about keeping him?,if they wanted to keep him they would have told spurs to **** off

It seems Poch can leave if he chooses to as long as the £2m get out clause is paid up. I would imagine Spurs have agreed to cover this therefore Poch is free to talk to them regardless of Saints position.

And a left back, another midfielder, a winger and a striker, then maybe they have a chance of top 4, but I still think it unlikely.

They have a perfect good left back in Rose, they've a shedload of midfielders that neither Sherwood or AVB knew how to use, Lamela is a great winger...apparently, just needs someone who knows how to use him, then there's Townsend and Lennon if he's still there. They're not far short of what they need but the CBs aren't great.

Just made me think of Mattys comment in his Testimonial programme I think, when he was sat with his agent and Terry Vegetables was on the phone wanting him to sign for Spurs the conversation went along the lines of "Matt it's Terry wanting you to sign for him at Spurs, what shall I say" from vague recall Matts response was "tell him to F off!".

Like Viking just said nearly Midday and nowts been said.

What is loyalty exactly? The facts are mlt actually signed for thfc. The contract was signed and in a safe at thfc solicitors. His ex wife got cold feet and spurs agreed to tear it up.

it was Chelsea under hoddle he dismissed out of hand in 94.

What is loyalty exactly? The facts are mlt actually signed for thfc. The contract was signed and in a safe at thfc solicitors. His ex wife got cold feet and spurs agreed to tear it up.

And then he dumped her for a soap actress anyway. Nothing should ever be compared to MLT, he did what he wanted and truncated his career no end. Waste of an incredible talent.

I dont really get the chain of thought between "swiss owner and therefor interest in a manager from a swiss team"....

Not really like our owner has that kind of football knowledge/interest, and the only one on the board at the moment regarding the footballing side of business is Les Reed....

Ha, we'll have to disagree about Rose if you think he's a top 4 quality left back, I think he's utter dross. Townsend too, awful player.

Verthonghen and Kaboul are good. Not sure about Chirches but Dawson seems to have lost it. Midfield alright with Sandro and Paulinho but think they need more. Eriksson is superb but the width comes from an out of form Lennon and an absent Lamela, or a 90s winger in Townsend who won't get you any end product at all.

We shall see, they also have the likes of Sigursson, Chadli,Dembele and Bentaleb. All excellent players who just need the right manager to guide them along. I can well imagine some of the players they have pressing forwd in habitual MP style, hard machine to stop.

They have a perfect good left back in Rose, they've a shedload of midfielders that neither Sherwood or AVB knew how to use, Lamela is a great winger...apparently, just needs someone who knows how to use him, then there's Townsend and Lennon if he's still there. They're not far short of what they need but the CBs aren't great.

They need one really, Vertonghan is a top player if he has someone next to him that just defends, cariches or whatever he is called isnt bad, probably needs another season. So 1 CB and a Striker for me and they are sorted. Cant see Adebayor or Soldado fitting in with Poch's tactics.

He is a great fit for them if given time. Fair play to him IMO. If he fancies the pressure, realistically its better then staying and watching your team get torn apart.

I was chatting to a friend and his view of Poch was that his system is very much based around a possession game only and that the top managers know how to play both possession and counter attacking football. Eg City, Chelsea, Athletico, Real. His style is easy on the eye but doesn't turn possession into goals. If he stays, he would need to improve on this. Every opposing manager is now aware of his style and maybe his inability to change the game plan. The manager we need to get next needs to be better than Poch - and carry on where he left off. Someone the players are in awe of. Its worth putting a massive amount of money down for a big name manager as it will keep the players.

We're in danger of belittling the quality of MP here, we always seem to do this when someone is about to leave. The reality is that MP is a high class manager, an incredibly high level coach, and we will not get anyone that is better than him. Maybe at the same level if we're clever, but we'd do very well to get anyone better.

Rose is ok, don't think he is Top 4 quality. Then again, Liverpool came second and they have well, who even is there left back? Cissoko, Flanagan, Sakho? None are great LBs really, Chelsea have had a RB playing LB most of the season, I'm not hugely sold on Kolarov at City either. Don't think Gibbs is brilliant either really. Basically, the top 4 isn't exactly awash with top quality FBs at the moment.

I spoke up for Walker last year, he made me look rather foolish. Hope if MP goes he doesn't come sniffing for one of our RBs.

Verthonghen is a good CB, never been sold on Kaboul seems a clumsy lump to me.

Townsend is useless FFS :mcinnes: Demonstrates what is wrong with English football, and English football fans. "HE IS A PACY WINGER!! HE TAKES PEOPLE ON!!" He is literally head down, run, and then spank it from 30 yards, either in the vague direction of goal (about the only time he hit the target was whilst playing for England, suddenly he is the effing messiah we don't need) or across the pitch to no-one. Loses possession with no end product so often it's criminal. His fans are probably those who still harp on about Puncheon, and how amazing he was. My Spurs mates (got a fair few being a NW London lad) all to a man think he is useless.

There's a decent team in that squad somewhere. Just need to thin out the midfielders (make a decision on Lamela - must have talent, but christ knows he showed none of it last season), get a decent striker (their biggest problem) and a decent partner for Jan V and they have every chance of a decent season, imo.

Rose is ok, don't think he is Top 4 quality. Then again, Liverpool came second and they have well, who even is there left back? Cissoko, Flanagan, Sakho? None are great LBs really, Chelsea have had a RB playing LB most of the season, I'm not hugely sold on Kolarov at City either. Don't think Gibbs is brilliant either really. Basically, the top 4 isn't exactly awash with top quality FBs at the moment.

I spoke up for Walker last year, he made me look rather foolish. Hope if MP goes he doesn't come sniffing for one of our RBs.

Verthonghen is a good CB, never been sold on Kaboul seems a clumsy lump to me.

Townsend is useless FFS :mcinnes: Demonstrates what is wrong with English football, and English football fans. "HE IS A PACY WINGER!! HE TAKES PEOPLE ON!!" He is literally head down, run, and then spank it from 30 yards, either in the vague direction of goal (about the only time he hit the target was whilst playing for England, suddenly he is the effing messiah we don't need) or across the pitch to no-one. Loses possession with no end product so often it's criminal. His fans are probably those who still harp on about Puncheon, and how amazing he was. My Spurs mates (got a fair few being a NW London lad) all to a man think he is useless.

There's a decent team in that squad somewhere. Just need to thin out the midfielders (make a decision on Lamela - must have talent, but christ knows he showed none of it last season), get a decent striker (their biggest problem) and a decent partner for Jan V and they have every chance of a decent season, imo.

He'll be back here for Rodriguez and Lovren then. ;)

We shall see, they also have the likes of Sigursson, Chadli,Dembele and Bentaleb. All excellent players who just need the right manager to guide them along. I can well imagine some of the players they have pressing forwd in habitual MP style, hard machine to stop.

I like Gylfi, would take him down at Saints if he doesn't fit in there.

I'd also take a punt on Holtby too, at the right price. Not amazing, but can do a job in the S Davis type role I reckon. Seems more workman than creator from what I have seen of him.

This has to be post of the week certainly made me laugh

Originally Posted by alpine_saint

Mods, why are these posts tolerated ?

There is no attempt to address the post content whatsoever.

probably because most of your posts are complete sh yte.

absolute stunning response wildsaint

We're in danger of belittling the quality of MP here, we always seem to do this when someone is about to leave. The reality is that MP is a high class manager, an incredibly high level coach, and we will not get anyone that is better than him. Maybe at the same level if we're clever, but we'd do very well to get anyone better.

Whilst I agree with you the point is true that he doesn't appear to have a Plan B, if we go a goal behind we very very rarely turn it round and win the game and managers have started to catch on, Rogers changed Liverpool's formation around at St Marys and look what happened ? In his time here we have always played better against the decent teams and poorly against teams that do not suit our style - West Ham, Stoke, Villa to name but three !

If that continues at Spurs he will have a short honeymoon period, they expect to beat the poorer teams more than we do. We always write it off as "typical Saints". Not sure that attitude will hold water at Tottenham !

I think everyone needs to calm down a little , nothing has been said by spuds or saints officially , if you went by punts i newspapers half the team have already left and they havnt either .

Until an official statement is made he is still our manager and there is still hope he will stay with us . IMHO

Remember Ballie's departure to Manchester City.

Citeh asked for permission to talk to him and when Saints said: "Yes" he moaned and said that was a sign the club didn't want to keep him.

Had he been denied permission he would have moaned even louder, about being denied the opportunity.

It was all smoke up arses, as the deal had already been done, as is the way with all of these things.

Those criticising the club for allowing Poch to speak to Spurs are being a little naive.

A club asking for permission to talk to a player/manager is just going through the formalities, as everything has effectively been done by then.

Does anybody honestly believe that the first time Spurs will sit down to discuss things with Poch is today?

Yes, he has been subject of an illegal approach to a manager under contract, no Saints won't rat Spurs out.

They should, but they won't. Few, if any, clubs do that, in the knowledge that to get a replacement, they will probably have to do the same thing.

He has to be given permission to talk with spurs,so if this is the case then isn't obvious that the saints board are not fussed about keeping him?,if they wanted to keep him they would have told spurs to **** off

It would be nice to think so but as has been explained on here many times, Pochettino cannot be forced to stay here because of the run down of his contract and the escape clause. I think you are right that maybe the Board aren't all that bothered about him after all for entirely his own selfish reasons of knot being interested in second tier European football he made sure we could not progress in the Cup nor finish 7th. Now he has bugge.r.e.d off we are left with nothing so what did he ever do for us. Maybe these factors really did p,iss of the Board.

For me his style of football is vastly entertaining and we beat more teams than beat us so for that alone he'll be missed... but 'missed' is a relative word. If we find a coach who can play pretty keep ball AND score goals we'll all be saying Pocet-who?

A fortnight with Steve MacClaren and I'll go and live in Middlesborough or N17

What would be the point in that, the basic reason that Mauricio may well leave is that the club's ambition probably didn't match his own, the reason that he came here in the first place. Basically that means not enough money available to build the side he wants. Mancini and Benitez would probably want even more money, which they won't get because the taps have been turned off, so there's no point in even dreaming about hiring blokes of their stature. We'll get some second rate bottom grubber or a total unknown from continental europe, like Petrescu.

or Mopo...............

Whilst I agree with you the point is true that he doesn't appear to have a Plan B, if we go a goal behind we very very rarely turn it round and win the game and managers have started to catch on, Rogers changed Liverpool's formation around at St Marys and look what happened ? In his time here we have always played better against the decent teams and poorly against teams that do not suit our style - West Ham, Stoke, Villa to name but three !

If that continues at Spurs he will have a short honeymoon period, they expect to beat the poorer teams more than we do. We always write it off as "typical Saints". Not sure that attitude will hold water at Tottenham !

A lot is made of plan b's, plan c's, etc etc. - but what actually is it? Plan B is just to hit it hard and long and hope for the best? is plan c when you get even more desperate and throw your GK up there? or do you continue to be patient and work with your overall plan?

At the end of the day, a lot of the lack of 'plan b' came down to a lack of squad. If the first 11 wasn't working, that was it. Nothing he could do. We had Guly and Jos on the bench, and I can't say either of those are game changers.

So whilst people say when it doesn't go well, he didn't change it, but he didn't really have the options to change it. That was something he was probably hoping to address this summer, but never mind.

He'll be back here for Rodriguez and Lovren then. ;)

What worries me more is how much of the youth teams and development Mopo was involved with as supposedly it was a lot. Tottenham are the biggest pikeys of Saints success in the last 15 years with Arsenal a close second (including our song the minute we left the Prem) Mopo goes to WHL with a list of our up an coming stars, can't see how the resulting bids wouldn't follow suit.

If he goes, we really need to stick in a clause like Swansea did with Rodgers.

That worked well, as I'm sure he signed Joe Allen from them within a few weeks!

To be honest those agreements are more than often just gentleman's agreements, shook on and left at that.

Thing is, If MP now decides to stay or Spurs turn him down...would people really want him back here if he is showing this sort of commitment, after he said I have a year left on my contract and will see it through or some such rubbish?

Absolutely not. We know he is not committed to the cause, and would only be waiting for the next opportunity.

He's done here.