Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Don't let sentiment get in the way of reason. No need to read the rest of your post when your final sentence sums everything up.

MP did nothing to warm to or win over the fans, played none of the populist cards some here appear to lap up; yet was recognised for what he did on the pitch. Having actually been to most games, the difference between Adkins and MP was night and day -regardless of the players at his disposal. We had a clear system and controlled virtually every game we played, things that can't be said about NA. Save wastefulness in the final third, the difference would have been even greater - perhaps enough for armchair voyeurs like yourself to take notice. I have no love for him and can't help but feel a bit resentful about how things are playing out; but give credit where credit is due.

This 99%, except I can't even feel any resentment towards MP if the Blackmore rumour is true that Cortese was going to sack him at Xmas. He's done a very decent job overall, very clear pattern of play and improved a number of players. Debit points for Osvaldo and Sunderland cup game though. We'll get about £3m compo so no excuse for not getting a very decent replacement like Ronald Koeman. This was always on the cards for months IMO, MP was happy to wait to see what Frank DB did. You don't hire Barnett as your agent if you aren't looking to move for more money (just ask Ashley Cole).

I wouldn't judge the new board on MP leaving but they should be judged on the quality of the replacement and hopefully they wise up on the PR in future because they've now learned the PL is ruthless. If they go for a charismatic figure like Koeman, it might take some of the pressure off them and allow them to bed in whilst he takes the spotlight.

This 99%, except I can't even feel any resentment towards MP if the Blackmore rumour is true that Cortese was going to sack him at Xmas. He's done a very decent job overall, very clear pattern of play and improved a number of players. Debit points for Osvaldo and Sunderland cup game though. We'll get about £3m compo so no excuse for not getting a very decent replacement like Ronald Koeman. This was always on the cards for months IMO, MP was happy to wait to see what Frank DB did. You don't hire Barnett as your agent if you aren't looking to move for more money (just ask Ashley Cole).

I wouldn't judge the new board on MP leaving but they should be judged on the quality of the replacement and hopefully they wise up on the PR in future because they've now learned the PL is ruthless. If they go for a charismatic figure like Koeman, it might take some of the pressure off them and allow them to bed in whilst he takes the spotlight.

Exactly this. If he goes and we bring in Lennon, Mackay or Hughton, then I'll be very annoyed and will agree the board doesn't know what they're doing. But until then I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly this. If he goes and we bring in Lennon, Mackay or Hughton, then I'll be very annoyed and will agree the board doesn't know what they're doing. But until then I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

why on earth is Hughton getting touted as a replacement? is it just so people get get more hysterical and angry with something that isnt going to happen?

I want Pochettino to take Osvaldo to WHL. The ensuing bust up between Osvaldo and Lamela would at least provide some entertainment next season! (Oh, and chuck Fonte in the mix for a truly tasty concoction.)

One's i would take highlighted in bold, the other can go and give themselves a wedgie

Favourites: Gus Poyet 5-1, Dan Petrescu 6-1, Neil Lennon 6-1, Malky Mackay 7-1, Roberto Di Matteo 7-1, Tim Sherwood 7-1, Alan Pardew 7-1, Andre Villas-Boas 10-1, Paco Jemez 10-1, Eddie Howe 12-1, Murat Yakin 12-1, Michael Laudrup 16-1, Oscar Garcia 16-1, Rafa Benitez 16-1, Glenn Hoddle 25-1, Matt Le Tissier 33-1, Harry Redknapp 66-1, Nigel Pearson 66-1, Steve McLaren 66-1.

Jesus ****ing christ that is a bad list

A very good letter on the F365 Mailbox this morning - pretty much cums up my feeling on the situation in general:

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/9327429/Mails

1) Spurs are only a minor step up. There are only a few of their players I'd take over the existing Saints squad. I'd understand more if it was for a CL team. He would have done better to get Saints into Europe (feasible) and go to a big club next season.

2) He introduced a cerebral philosophy to the club which all players bought into. Attacking with geggenpressing. His replacement must be of a similar way of coaching. Murat Yakin would be ideal although I realise that CL clubs will probably have first dibs on him. Cortese always spoke about 'The Southampton Way'. If this is it then the good work must be continued even if the board see it as another man's vision.

3) Poch's key attribute was his ability to keep the team in place. Shaw is great money for a teenager, take it. I would say keep Lallana at all costs but I can understand that at 26 it is now or probably never for a CL club. After that we need to fight to keep Lovren, Schneiderlein, J-Rod, Clyne etc. the only way they can go is for extortionate fees. We don't need the money and they are under long term contracts (which works both ways...if they broke their leg and took 2 years to get form back they would still get paid).

4) Poch wasn't the messiah. The right coach at the right time - yes, but not the only one who can bring success. His record in the transfer market was iffy. Lovren was an excellent signing but Wanyama still has much to prove and Osvaldo...well, a violent disaster is an appropriate term.

5) If we get Tim Sherwood I will cry. It would be like the idiot kids who used to phone Saturday morning swapshop trying to trade a Chopper for a Space Hoppper.

6) Chin up...4 players in the U19 England squad. Plenty more talent on the way.

Jon, Southampton

One's i would take highlighted in bold, the other can go and give themselves a wedgie

Favourites: Gus Poyet 5-1, Dan Petrescu 6-1, Neil Lennon 6-1, Malky Mackay 7-1, Roberto Di Matteo 7-1, Tim Sherwood 7-1, Alan Pardew 7-1, Andre Villas-Boas 10-1, Paco Jemez 10-1, Eddie Howe 12-1, Murat Yakin 12-1, Michael Laudrup 16-1, Oscar Garcia 16-1, Rafa Benitez 16-1, Glenn Hoddle 25-1, Matt Le Tissier 33-1, Harry Redknapp 66-1, Nigel Pearson 66-1, Steve McLaren 66-1.

You wouldn't take Benitez?

I would take the ones in bold. Not that bad a list.

Good list - we ought to have a poll. I'd forgotten about villas-boas - could be just right for us

Were there markets on next Southampton manager in the build up to Adkins getting sacked? I'd be interested to know

Roberto Di Matteo was the favourite - that was presumably before everyone was told of his £130k PW contract with Chelsea.

That contract coincidentally ends in 5 days ;)

Not too many exciting options. Would definitely have Benitez but can't see it happening. We need someone who will actually show a bit of passion for the club and fans. MP might have been a good manager, but for me he's always been in it purely for himself and his own career progression rather than taking us forward as a club.

It's always many of the names that appear on every list for new managers. Means nothing.

My nightmare options in most horrible onwards would be Redknapp, Sherwood, Hoddle, Pardew, Howe, Mackay, McLaren, Garcia, Di Matteo, Lennon.

Yeah there's a lot of nightmares.

Disagree with Sherwood - I'd have him, possibly McLaren too ... but the rest (plus Hughton and Laudrup) would be disappointing.

Really disappointed the way this is all playing out. Not so much that MP is going but the message it appears to be sending the players.

I really hope the board are ready with an alternative, but fear that they will have put all efforts into poch and not covered their basses.

We need to settle the players as soon possible. I don't know how feasible they are but I like the look of Yakin, or De -Boer but I won't hold my breath on those two. As already said it's important to get someone in with a similar playing style for continuity.

Roberto Di Matteo was the favourite - that was presumably before everyone was told of his £130k PW contract with Chelsea.

That contract coincidentally ends in 5 days ;)

Makes me laugh, all the Top names being bandied about

Why the hell do you think Pochettino is leaving ??? Insufficient funds, and a "Project" with NO Ambition

So no Manager with Ambition of the calibre of those being touted will even look at us

Holloway and Hughton, now those two would jump at the chance. Nothing expected of them apart from avoiding the bottom three, which next season will be our only Ambition IMHO

Including Nigel Pearson? What has he done badly in his career?

Makes me laugh, all the Top names being bandied about

Why the hell do you think Pochettino is leaving ??? Insufficient funds, and a "Project" with NO Ambition

So no Manager with Ambition of the calibre of those being touted will even look at us

Holloway and Hughton, now those two would jump at the chance. Nothing expected of them apart from avoiding the bottom three, which next season will be our only Ambition IMHO

You are such a knob.

We should go for Mancini or Benitez

What would be the point in that, the basic reason that Mauricio may well leave is that the club's ambition probably didn't match his own, the reason that he came here in the first place. Basically that means not enough money available to build the side he wants. Mancini and Benitez would probably want even more money, which they won't get because the taps have been turned off, so there's no point in even dreaming about hiring blokes of their stature. We'll get some second rate bottom grubber or a total unknown from continental europe, like Petrescu.

What would be the point in that, the basic reason that Mauricio may well leave is that the club's ambition probably didn't match his own, the reason that he came here in the first place. Basically that means not enough money available to build the side he wants. Mancini and Benitez would probably want even more money, which they won't get because the taps have been turned off, so there's no point in even dreaming about hiring blokes of their stature. We'll get some second rate bottom grubber or a total unknown from continental europe, like Petrescu.

MP has left for $$$$

He will use the clubs ambition as an excuse imho

Load of guff really. Football fans are the most fickle of people, and they might think MP is the girl next door now, but that will soon change if things don't go as well as they could. Personally, if he goes, I hope he loses the first 10 games and gets sacked, but because I am fickle, if for some reason he is still in charge here next season, then I will of course think otherwise (although whether I would now welcome him back or not....!).

MP has left for $$$$

He will use the clubs ambition as an excuse imho

Urrgghhh, I don't want to do this but I agree with you GS. I think he will also try and say he didn't know what was happening with the board to pass the responsibility, even though I personally think the board have done their best. I guarantee also that NC has advised Poch on doing this.

I couldn't support Sherwood, can't stand the man. Think he's been very lucky to boost his reputation in a short stint with Spurs and he'll get horribly found out if he gets another premier league job.

Hughton shouldn't be on any premier league lists. Lovely guy it seems, but he did an appalling job at Norwich last season. Ok side, plenty to spend, lots of signings, and relegation in one of the worst quality bottom 7 or 8 sides I've seen in the top flight.

The Sherwood factor is likely to be key to whoever ends up managing Spurs, the bloke was managing the team with a death sentence already passed on him, yet the team still went out and played well for him until the very last day of the season. We have seen over the years that football players en masse can be funny buggers, Luggy got the runaround at Saints despite WGS's blessing of his appointment, Chelsea players gave one or two of their managers the runaround, Manure players last season messed about with Moyes despite SAF rubber stamping him, if it is MP then he is going to have to bring his A game to the dressing room as The ghost of Tim Sherwood in the team will likely have him enjoying Christmas and New Year with his family.

The fact that we have not heard the merest peep from the hierarchy at Saints is very surprising and a tad strange considering the Avalanche of press comment we are enduring at present.

Urrgghhh, I don't want to do this but I agree with you GS. I think he will also try and say he didn't know what was happening with the board to pass the responsibility, even though I personally think the board have done their best. I guarantee also that NC has advised Poch on doing this.

I would also move if someone offered me a whacking pay rise for doing the same job. In probably more desirable location

who wouldnt?

Not sure about the NC bit, but the rest is more than believable. I did write some time back about NC replacing Levy - could he (with ENIC's structuring)? Would he? Not sure any Spurs fan would object to that.

I would also move if someone offered me a whacking pay rise for doing the same job. In probably more desirable location

who wouldnt?

So is this ******? http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476362/EXCLUSIVE-Break-the-bank-Southampton-s-6m-to-keep-Pochettino

Nicer location?? Have you ever been to N17 and the area north of London (or for that matter London itself)?

So is this ******? http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/476362/EXCLUSIVE-Break-the-bank-Southampton-s-6m-to-keep-Pochettino

Nicer location?? Have you ever been to N17 and the area north of London (or for that matter London itself)?

I live in north london mate/heartfordshire. I'm sure the players and staff dont actually live near the ground

like the players and staff at saints dont live in St Marys street

dont be so mental in thinking that London is not a monumental pull for a Euro/argie professional

Edited by Batman

Hoddle would be a great appointment and at least we would see good football.

Plus, Hoddle would have something to prove to a 'the significant few' who protested against him in 2004.

hahahahahahhahahahaahahahahhaha respect you just keep going :-)

It makes sense that we replace a manger who is dumping us for spurs with one who did last.

Disgusting that the club haven't realised a statement confirming or denying any of this, makes the club look weak, and is a reflection of the Lowe days

Why would they until it's a done deal?

What happens if they announce he is in talks with Spurs, and the talks fall through? Fans will have been ******ed off that Pochettino wanted talks, and then they'd have to forget that he wanted to leave. What other clubs have announced that their Manager is in talks with another club when they've been poached.