Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

A lot is made of plan b's, plan c's, etc etc. - but what actually is it? Plan B is just to hit it hard and long and hope for the best? is plan c when you get even more desperate and throw your GK up there? or do you continue to be patient and work with your overall plan?

At the end of the day, a lot of the lack of 'plan b' came down to a lack of squad. If the first 11 wasn't working, that was it. Nothing he could do. We had Guly and Jos on the bench, and I can't say either of those are game changers.

So whilst people say when it doesn't go well, he didn't change it, but he didn't really have the options to change it. That was something he was probably hoping to address this summer, but never mind.

Do you not concede that our/his style wasnt a great success against teams who like to rough it up a bit and/or not play on the ground football then ?

Remember Ballie's departure to Manchester City.

Citeh asked for permission to talk to him and when Saints said: "Yes" he moaned and said that was a sign the club didn't want to keep him.

Had he been denied permission he would have moaned even louder, about being denied the opportunity.

It was all smoke up arses, as the deal had already been done, as is the way with all of these things.

Those criticising the club for allowing Poch to speak to Spurs are being a little naive.

A club asking for permission to talk to a player/manager is just going through the formalities, as everything has effectively been done by then.

Does anybody honestly believe that the first time Spurs will sit down to discuss things with Poch is today?

Yes, he has been subject of an illegal approach to a manager under contract, no Saints won't rat Spurs out.

They should, but they won't. Few, if any, clubs do that, in the knowledge that to get a replacement, they will probably have to do the same thing.

This, their agents would have been talking for a while anyway. Saints best chance of keeping him would be to let them talk and hope Poch doesn't fancy the Spurs project.

This has to be post of the week certainly made me laugh

Originally Posted by alpine_saint

Mods, why are these posts tolerated ?

There is no attempt to address the post content whatsoever.

probably because most of your posts are complete sh yte.

absolute stunning response wildsaint

Apart from the fact the post that provoked VFFTs response wasnt from me ... :lol:

That worked well, as I'm sure he signed Joe Allen from them within a few weeks!

To be honest those agreements are more than often just gentleman's agreements, shook on and left at that.

Joe Allen was singled out in that agreement, and they had to pay £15m for him. I'd argue Swansea got the better end of that deal. He's hardly lit up the place at Anfield.

Do you not concede that our/his style wasnt a great success against teams who like to rough it up a bit and/or not play on the ground football then ?

Hit and miss, but in the main our style worked brilliantly as we had our best ever PL season - so it was a major success. He wasn't going to win every week, but one of the toughest, gritty, up and at it places to go in the league - Crystal Palace - was a game he managed superbly and we dug in and got our best away result of the season, IMO.

I wrongly had Poch down as someone with a degree of loyalty

Seems like the Cortese departure was more significant to him than it appeared. Now wondering if he ever planned to stay beyond that ...regardless of what he was offered!

Exactly MP has been evasive about his future for months he knew he was going as soon as an offer came in. Just strung us along while he waited for spurs.

Hit and miss, but in the main our style worked brilliantly as we had our best ever PL season - so it was a major success. He wasn't going to win every week, but one of the toughest, gritty, up and at it places to go in the league - Crystal Palace - was a game he managed superbly and we dug in and got our best away result of the season, IMO.

Fair point :)

Weren't we kind of flat-track bullies this year?

In general we beat the teams below us, and lost to those above us. I mean, clearly that is generalised and there are exception (Liverpool away, Cardiff home etc). But suggests 'Plan A' worked quite well against the teams below us.

Does anyone else not think/cannot link football to normal working situations? The scenario sounds to me. Poch has been offered 'terms' at Saints, he has (as people know) has heard of interest from another employer and he would like to investigate this interest (as any normal person would in the working world). Who's to say Spurs will offer him a deal, a level of investment, level of ambition which maybe we cant offer. OR he is offered a level as described previously and he comes back to southampton and asks if we can match it? If we cant he will go. Would you also not if you are offered a better wage, better investment account and arguably higher profile employer? I say this without my southampton glasses on and instead just the black and white of reality.

Exactly MP has been evasive about his future for months he knew he was going as soon as an offer came in. Just strung us along while he waited for spurs.

This.... He's just been waiting for a better offer than us. We were a stepping stone. Nothing more, nothing less

Yes it's disappointing but hardly surprising when he'd hired Barnett as his agent. At least it should have given the board plenty of time to draw up a shortlist and they should be able to start approaching people this week. Out of disappointment arises opportunities and means the new board will need to articulate their successor to the previous 5 year plan in order to attract new candidates and this should come out in the communications arising from the new man. Whilst MP was technically superb as a coach, he never really connected with the fans and you always felt he was an excellent, hard-working but temporary incumbant. This creates an opportunity for the next post holder as well to make their mark on the club and who knows, make some history.

This is why I feel it's crucial that the board go for a charismatic character - Koeman or Yakin for example - that can help them and their own post-NC vision reach the fans. Sherwood wouldn't be the end of the world as he seems to use the media well and whilst Lennon wouldn't be my first choice, remember that he's succeeded against the likes of Barca in the CL and bought Victor for peanuts and helped develop him into a £12m player. The downside is lack of non-SPL experience and of course some of the sectarian baggage.

Does anyone else not think/cannot link football to normal working situations? The scenario sounds to me. Poch has been offered 'terms' at Saints, he has (as people know) has heard of interest from another employer and he would like to investigate this interest (as any normal person would in the working world). Who's to say Spurs will offer him a deal, a level of investment, level of ambition which maybe we cant offer. OR he is offered a level as described previously and he comes back to southampton and asks if we can match it? If we cant he will go. Would you also not if you are offered a better wage, better investment account and arguably higher profile employer? I say this without my southampton glasses on and instead just the black and white of reality.

Well that's exactly it, we are waiting to see the board's ambition. Just as with everyday life, the board need to decide how much value Mopo really has in the scheme of the businesss and whether meeting his demands to stay are reasonable, often in negotiations the keeping company actually has to offer substantially more than the new company. Which is probably where we are at. Mopo is very unlikely to increase his personal profile with us higher than it is now, so he may decide Spurs is the jump to take with greater immediate potential and higher chance of increasing profile once more. Fairly sure his long term ambition lies with managing one of the two big clubs in Spain, he needs to work out how best to get there.

One aspect that has not been discussed is that when Pochettino goes the other 3 Spanish coaches will go with him so more than one goose escaping. That will be a huge emotional upheaval especially for the young lads.

Perhaps they will all follow him to Spurs..... or perhaps not

Looks like pooch is getting his first signing of the summer

Tottenham are favourites to land Rio Ferdinand on a free transfer this summer.

Ferdinand, 35, is available for nothing after Manchester United decided not to offer him a new deal after 12 years at Old Trafford.

And according to sources close to the defender, Spurs are winning the race to capture the in-demand former England international.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-rumours-news-live-updates-3611699

Things tend not to progress this far without there being almost near certainty that he will be the next spurs manager.

Ferdinand, 35, is available for nothing after Manchester United decided not to offer him a new deal after 12 years at Old Trafford.

And according to sources close to the defender, Spurs are winning the race to capture the in-demand former England international.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-rumours-news-live-updates-3611699

He'll surely go to QPR - got that written all over him. Along with Lampard and Ashley Cole.

There is chat about Samuel Eto going there too.................. Sounds like Rupert Lowe is finally getting his own back on those North London Yobbos with the gypsy curse to turn White Hart Lane into a retirement home.

If what the players said about needing 2 hearts and 4 lungs to survive MPs training regime 35year old players will hospitalised if he ends up there.

Poch won't want Rio for his high line. Probably more Rio wanting to go to Spurs.

He better get used to having players thrust on him then. It won't be him choosing who Spurs sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if MP goes to the Spuds,which i think in his head , he proberly has. He might be on a hiding to nothing, as who's to say some of the Spuds more premadonna players will put up with HIT required for his pressing game.

Plus the added worry of Daniel Hair trigger,sorry Levi's record on backing managers of late..

Lol good luck MP. Your need it...;)

I think we should start a sweepstake on how long Poch lasts at the Lane. My guess is he will be sacked by next March.

I saw this after Steve Clarke was dismissed by WBA.

If you take out Arsene Wenger's marathon 17-year stay in north London, the average time in a Premier League hot seat stands at just 379 days, according to website sportingintelligence.com

Thats an odd way to describe a headbutt on a work colleague.

Who'd just put in a very nasty tackle in a training game by all accounts. Swansea managed to calm everyone down in similar circumstances, we couldn't apparently. It also fell into the plan of action by KL, no one to be sold, so someone provokes Osvaldo and he has to be shipped out in a hurry. I'm sure we could have patched it up if we'd wanted to and the end of the season may have well passed in a better manner.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/50414-pochettino-signs-three-year-deal-with-spurs.php

Well if this is true and we offered Poch all the funds from AL and LS sales to re-invest in the squad, then you can hardly accuse the club of a lack of ambition. If those players wish to leave then it is in no-ones interest to stop them but at least we are looking at spending some decent money on replacing them. If Poch refused that offer then there is not a lot else the board could do.

Hopefully it means we will get a good managerial replacement in a similar mould to MP, offload Osvaldo for 10m plus and have 60m or so to replace AL and LS as best we can and continue on up!!

Oh well,we move on,we will still have a club when he goes,I loved Southampton before Poch and I will love them when he is gone

I have said previously that we are a attractive project for the right manager,I would imagine we will have a long list of top quality managers wanting the job its just a case of finding the right one.

I just hope we continue to play the "Southampton way" the high pressing,possession game,hopefully if we can get a top drawer manager they will have a bigger player pull than MP and we can push on from last season

The fighting cock reporting 4pm announcement

Good - let's just get it done.

Still, I recall this bit: "I don't think it will be a fight, I have one more year left on my contract. The decision will be made by the club, when the club has to make that decision. I don't really know why there needs to be this massive effort." Arsehole.

He's not going there.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/50414-pochettino-signs-three-year-deal-with-spurs.php

Well if this is true and we offered Poch all the funds from AL and LS sales to re-invest in the squad, then you can hardly accuse the club of a lack of ambition. If those players wish to leave then it is in no-ones interest to stop them but at least we are looking at spending some decent money on replacing them. If Poch refused that offer then there is not a lot else the board could do.

Hopefully it means we will get a good managerial replacement in a similar mould to MP, offload Osvaldo for 10m plus and have 60m or so to replace AL and LS as best we can and continue on up!!

If the club told him that we were going to keep Shaw and Lallana then that would show ambition. Saying he can reinvest the money should have been a given anyway. What are you saying, that if players weren't sold we wouldn't have any money at all to spend this Summer.

The fighting cock reporting 4pm announcement

They're also all *****ing about the lack of communication from the Tottenham board to the fans...

"it just seemed odd that you think that a company like a premier league football team has no corporate responsibility to keep its customer base informed"

Maybe it's not just this forum, maybe its football forums in general!

Also puts a bit of a damper on the "we don't need to sell" arguement doesn't it ?

Well that's Hobson's Choice isn't it, sell your better players to buy others that you need to strenghthen a squad that you've just weaked is a catch 22 situation. Wouldn't have minded selling Shaw to get funds though, not Lallana. Means that there were no other funds available I suppose so what have they done with the 100 million £ revenues from this last season?????

Well that's Hobson's Choice isn't it, sell your better players to buy others that you need to strenghthen a squad that you've just weaked is a catch 22 situation. Wouldn't have minded selling Shaw to get funds though, not Lallana. Means that there were no other funds available I suppose so what have they done with the 100 million £ revenues from this last season?????

In one of the owners Swiss bank accounts ?

In one of the owners Swiss bank accounts ?

Not very likely though. Just cannot understand the difficult financial situation nonsense that's all. Are they really worried about a few million for a training centre that isn't even finished yet? or transfer fees unpaid because they're not yet due. The woman is supposed to be rich isn't she, sounds like corner shop economics to me.