Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

I'd take McClaren. Very good club manager who's reputation has been sadly dented by the disaster of his spell in charge of England but as others have said, there's a few I'd have before him

Spell at Forest wasn't so great either

I'd take McClaren. Very good club manager who's reputation has been sadly dented by the disaster of his spell in charge of England but as others have said, there's a few I'd have before him

Didn't he have a quick visit to QPR as well? Has a better record off shore than home.

Didn't he have a quick visit to QPR as well? Has a better record off shore than home.

He was a coach under Saggychops for the early part of the season just finished. QPR's form was great for the time he was coaching there but dipped after he left. Could be a coincendence but by all accounts from what I have seen he is a super coach. Whether that translates into a good manager, I don't know. His managerial career has been a bit hit and miss.

His Forest team was one of the worst seen at St Mary's in the Championship season!

Pleasse not McLaren!

Not quite sure where all this anti Mclaren is coming from. Statistically he's a proven performer. Of the 7 teams he's maanged statistically 2 were poor (Forest & Wolfsberg), one OK (Boro) and the other 4 pretty good. Steve McClaren Managerial Stats

Comparing to MoPo on paper it would appear McLaren to be the better maanger but we know that Stats don't show the full picture Mo Po Managerial Stats

Yeah McLaren gets some undeserved criticism at times. A very good coach and in that sense would suit us nicely. His Derby team plays with a high energy that we'd be used to and I think our players would embrace him rather than have any attitude towards him. We could do a lot worse than him.

Now a sticky. Is it official ?

Did something at SFC die today, or did it actually die back in January and it has been twitching its death throes ever since ?

It's still alive. You've just had it in a cage for the last 5 years, poking it with a stick every day.

He was a coach under Saggychops for the early part of the season just finished. QPR's form was great for the time he was coaching there but dipped after he left. Could be a coincendence but by all accounts from what I have seen he is a super coach. Whether that translates into a good manager, I don't know. His managerial career has been a bit hit and miss.

One of the things about Poch I think we will miss greatly is his great hands on coaching as well as his Managerial skills - fairly rare among top flight gaffers; usually one or the other.

Southampton is hot property. Yes we may lose a few players etc but we have a fine club, with great facilities and an academy which would challenge the best in the world.

Yes there may be a bump next season but give the club credit. It is in the best position it has every been in to absorb that bump.

We should be aiming for a top flight manager.

Southampton is hot property. Yes we may lose a few players etc but we have a fine club, with great facilities and an academy which would challenge the best in the world.

Yes there may be a bump next season but give the club credit. It is in the best position it has every been in to absorb that bump.

We should be aiming for a top flight manager.

We were hot property when we got sturrock, we were hot property when we got wigley.

We ended up going down

Like him or not, cortese had an eye for a manager. Let's see the new lot in action on that front, given the great position we are in

We were hot property when we got sturrock, we were hot property when we got wigley.

We ended up going down

Like him or not, cortese had an eye for a manager. Let's see the new lot in action on that front, given the great position we are in

Not as hot as we are now, TDD.

But you are right about Cortese - three out three excellent managers is unnaturally good.

Law of averages suggests we are due a pants one. Let's hope it ain't so.

People need to calm down, anyone would think poch was the second coming of cloughie the way people are going on. He had 18 pretty good months, mainly with players he inherited. We can't really comment on his signings because we don't know if they're his, or a committee. Let's give him the benefit of the of the doubt and say lovren great signing, victor good, Osvaldo a ****ing disaster. Contrast that with Adkins signings , Jrod, Clyne , yoshida and gaston, not much difference really.

I remember another bloke who came in half way through the season, turned us around and then the following year had us playing some great stuff. We finished 10th I seem to recall, before he left for a "bigger" club. How did Ballys managerial go after that?

Truth of the matter is nobody knows how good Poch is, he could have been the right bloke at their right time. Nigel had tightened us up, did have us playing some good stuff.He had fox and jos, not Shaw and lovren. As the team evolves you start to see how good a manager is. How good will Martinez be when he has to replace Moyes back 4, Wenger has certainly not hit the previous heights since George Grahams famous defence hung up their boots. One season could be flash in the pan ( I said could), Steve Clarke will tell you that. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll never know. But I wish some of our supporters would stop acting like love sick teenagers? A bloke who has been at the club 5 mins has fucvked off and doesn't want to manage us.

People need to calm down, anyone would think poch was the second coming of cloughie the way people are going on. He had 18 pretty good months, mainly with players he inherited. We can't really comment on his signings because we don't know if they're his, or a committee. Let's give him the benefit of the of the doubt and say lovren great signing, victor good, Osvaldo a ****ing disaster. Contrast that with Adkins signings , Jrod, Clyne , yoshida and gaston, not much difference really.

I remember another bloke who came in half way through the season, turned us around and then the following year had us playing some great stuff. We finished 10th I seem to recall, before he left for a "bigger" club. How did Ballys managerial go after that?

Truth of the matter is nobody knows how good Poch is, he could have been the right bloke at their right time. Nigel had tightened us up, did have us playing some good stuff.He had fox and jos, not Shaw and lovren. As the team evolves you start to see how good a manager is. How good will Martinez be when he has to replace Moyes back 4, Wenger has certainly not hit the previous heights since George Grahams famous defence hung up their boots. One season could be flash in the pan ( I said could), Steve Clarke will tell you that. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll never know. But I wish some of our supporters would stop acting like love sick teenagers? A bloke who has been at the club 5 mins has fucvked off and doesn't want to manage us.

I was with you until you threw in the Wenger/Graham fallacy.

Wenger's invincible team had no relation to GG's famous back four

Other than that, bang on.

The board and Les Reed are idiots if they get anyone in who doesn't play the same pressing game. Mclaren doesn't fit the bill. Continuity is what we need because the soul of the team looks like it could be on its way out the door and we need to minimise the effect.

Hmmm. I have slipped into some kind of tantric cosmic state here...... its the roller-coaster. Saints roller-coaster. Up? Down? Not sure, but 100% sure there is a turn to come. Maybe MoPo goes, so do the squad, in comes Billy Davis and relegation. Or maybe neu-Laurie-Mac-alike will return with a new post-Keegan-alike.

Exciting!

The board and Les Reed are idiots if they get anyone in who doesn't play the same pressing game. Mclaren doesn't fit the bill. Continuity is what we need because the soul of the team looks like it could be on its way out the door and we need to minimise the effect.

I thought the whole point was that we play 4 2 3 1 throughout the age groups. We can't just throw that out the window can we?

Don't let sentiment get in the way of reason. No need to read the rest of your post when your final sentence sums everything up.

MP did nothing to warm to or win over the fans, played none of the populist cards some here appear to lap up; yet was recognised for what he did on the pitch. Having actually been to most games, the difference between Adkins and MP was night and day -regardless of the players at his disposal. We had a clear system and controlled virtually every game we played, things that can't be said about NA. Save wastefulness in the final third, the difference would have been even greater - perhaps enough for armchair voyeurs like yourself to take notice. I have no love for him and can't help but feel a bit resentful about how things are playing out; but give credit where credit is due.

Edited by shurlock

I wrongly had Poch down as someone with a degree of loyalty

Seems like the Cortese departure was more significant to him than it appeared. Now wondering if he ever planned to stay beyond that ...regardless of what he was offered!

I thought the whole point was that we play 4 2 3 1 throughout the age groups. We can't just throw that out the window can we?

Don't think the 4231 thing is 100% set in stone as we tend to be more fluid on the pitch but yes we need to progress along the same lines we are currently on. I remember reading an interview with one of the kids after an academy win earlier this season and they were harping on about the pressing game they now play. Anything else is a step back. I'm not saying Mclaren's a bad coach but I think we need someone who'll play the same brand of football. Otherwise it really will show that the new board are clueless.

Seems like the Cortese departure was more significant to him than it appeared. Now wondering if he ever planned to stay beyond that ...regardless of what he was offered!

Sure it had a massive effect - he was always going to see the season out. Couldn't understand the plums who thought him staying on was a massive coup. A managerial CV without one full season in England wouldn't have looked as nearly as good as it does now.

Can't we just continue with his end of season stock reply ... "I still have 1 more year of my contract to run".

Too bloody right you have sonny. You aren't going anywhere!!

Honour your obligations ...... or ruin your reputation by going on strike!!

I'm guessing, as with the players, they'd lose out on % "loyalty" payments if they resign / ask for a transfer etc, good, let their receiving clubs stump up the difference.

I'd really love it if the Spurs talks broke down because of some silly stipulations Levy makes about transfers / player selections etc or even just speaking English in Press Conferences.

Christ on a bike I'm turning into #FactlessAllen and typing one line paragraphs.

PS. Have Liverpool put in a joint bid for JWP, Chambers, Harry Reed, Targett and Gallagher after their England performances over the last few days?

Don't let sentiment get in the way of reason. No need to read the rest of your post when your final sentence sums everything up.

MP did nothing to warm to or win over the fans, played none of the populist cards some here appear to lap up; yet was recognised for what he did on the pitch. Having actually been to most games, the difference between Adkins and MP was night and day -regardless of the players at his disposal. We had a clear system and controlled virtually every game we played, things that can't be said about NA. Save wastefulness in the final third, the difference would have been even greater - perhaps enough for armchair voyeurs like yourself to take notice. I have no love for him and can't help but feel a bit resentful about how things are playing out; but give credit where credit is due.

Agree.

I dont think he's acted with much class, i wont give him much thought after he leaves and i dont think he's as good as he thinks he is. He has been in management for 5 years, he has so far won nothing. The BBC lists his career highlight as "Secured notable wins over Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea"

Glasgow not to your liking then? Just when the site was on an even keel you return

Just a "head of department" anyone?

Sometime when you're feeling important;

Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;

Sometime when you take it for granted,

You're the best qualified in the room:

Sometime when you feel that your going,

Would leave an unfillable hole,

Just follow these simple instructions,

And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,

Put your hand in it up to the wrist,

Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,

Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.

You can splash all you wish when you enter,

You may stir up the water galore,

But stop, and you'll find that in no time,

It looks quite the same as before.

The moral of this quaint example,

Is to do just the best that you can,

Be proud of yourself but remember,

There's no indispensable man.

This.

Whether a certain "Glasgow Saint" still exists on this forum or not, his irritating and mostly inaccurate contributions will be remembered by one of his last posts...."Spurs don't want MoPo" ..quite an epitaph. Don't hurry back.

To be fair, we weren't when he arrived either and now we don't want him to go.

True - when he arrived it was case of who is he, and what was wrong with NA. But not wanting him to go? I am in two minds. On the one I want him to stay for the sake of harmony and continuity. But on the other, I don't want him here as it appears that he has become bigger than the club.

Whether a certain "Glasgow Saint" still exists on this forum or not, his irritating and mostly inaccurate contributions will be remembered by one of his last posts...."Spurs don't want MoPo" ..quite an epitaph. Don't hurry back.

Very true - though he wouldn't be alone.