Post-Match Reaction: Swansea 0-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

As I said on the match thread, that was a tedius game of pleasant football.

Absolutely nithing of note to write home about apart from our ugly late goal.

I think it sjows how important JayRod is for us. When he plays we look so much more dynamic and can attack with some pace.

Happy for the points.

Big Vic motm for me. Just a monster in the middle, they just couldn't get the ball off him.

I too was sat with the home fans. I can't understand all this talk of dull, boring, tedious, etc. I thought the team were great, against a good footballing side, Swansea. The only disappointment was Gallagher, but you have to give him some leeway as it is a rapid learning curve. He did come close with that header though. The lad just needs a bit more self belief. OUr midfield maestros weren't quite on it today. I t strikes me that Lallana is carrying his groin injury, Davis made some basic errors I haven't seen in his game recently, Morgan looked a bit rusty with one or two touches, Jack was his usual excellent self and Big Vic was a rock! No question he has made a big impact coming back. Bony is as big as him, mind. Overall it was great to snatch it in the death.

The scarf waving looked absolutely AWESOME from where I was sat. I hope it came over on TV! Now on to spanking those Mancs! COYS!

I wasn't there, and only followed the game on radio. I have now watched the highlights. If Gallagher can stop fluffing his lines, he's going to be special. We're moaning, but at least he's in the right place to miss them, and he's got a huge amount of time to improve.

The goal was bizarre, but again, couldn't have happened if Rickie hadn't been sniffing around the box.

I see Garry Monk is bigging himself up for the task again. Bloke deserves credit for not getting them relegated, but chances for permanent manager?

Garry-Monk-011.jpg

Watched on line and was impressed again by Saints' passing football and that when then ball did fall to Swansea, how quickly they worked to get it back. The possession stats of roughly 60/40 told the usual story. MP must be as frustrated as the fans that possession isn't creating many scoring chances and that the percentage of chances turned into goals seems low. The simple answer widely suggested is that we need one or two better strikers, or a goal-scoring winger. Maybe, but we do have some really good players who have poor goal scoring records. Could it be that there isn't enough being done in training to work on goal scoring by midfield and defence players?

So this season we've done the double over Swansea, West Brom, Palace, Hull and Fulham. Have we ever done 5 teams in a season before? Could have been 6 if we hadn't cocked it up against Cardiff.

Imagine where this team would be if it could score though. If Osvaldo had been the player we hoped and we hadn't had long injury layoffs for Boruc, Lovren, Victor and JRod we'd have been pushing for a CL place.

I completely agree. Apart from having an incisive forward, the rest of our team is really as good as virtually anyone in the league. I hope the board are serious about pushing on as I genuinely don't see any reason why we couldn't finish above Spurs, Everton, Man U and even Arse next season. If Liverpool lose Suarez we could finish above them too.

I might be getting carried away but we control games so well. Every single match this season has been competitive.

Frustrating game, but great to snatch a win. Gallagher does not have what it takes to be a Prem striker I'm afraid to say.

I thought this about Jayrod in his first few matches in the Prem but looked what happened. IMHO the same fate beckons Gallagher. His first goal will inspire confidence and I hope he'll push on.

Frustrating game, but great to snatch a win. Gallagher does not have what it takes to be a Prem striker I'm afraid to say.

An obvious and fair opinion.....

But as the pundit on TV said, playing striker is not just about getting in the goal scoring positions, it is about knowing "when to come short" when to drop deep", how to shield the ball better in a particular situation while support arrives. All of which comes with game time.

Sam is at least one season away from becoming "experienced" to play effectively in attack for us. The game time he is getting now (and we keep winning when he starts :) ) is vital to his (and our) long term future.

He is without a doubt a very good talent. He's 18 ffs. Think back to AL at that age.....

Hell think back to the AL of early last season!

Sam will become at worst a good PL squad back up player, IMHO he will be more than that in 2/3 years IF he avoids serious injury

Christ, talk about writing a young lad off after a handful of games. Symptomatic of the "want it all straight now, don't want to wait" society we live in but not every player will be a Bale, Walcott or Shaw and be brilliant from game one. I seem to recall people writing off Lallana, in the Championship, look at him now.

Christ, talk about writing a young lad off after a handful of games. Symptomatic of the "want it all straight now, don't want to wait" society we live in but not every player will be a Bale, Walcott or Shaw and be brilliant from game one. I seem to recall people writing off Lallana, in the Championship, look at him now.

Forget the championship, people were writing him off last season in the top flight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't really concentrating on the game. Good day out, enjoyed drinking in a home fans only pub which at one point had a totally random minute's silence which seemed to confused everyone. The queues for the free food were nuts!

Still mentally scarred from sitting through a Keith Lemon dvd boxset on the unofficial bingo bus. Can't quite think why anyone imagined that to be a good idea.

I thought this was quoting from Patrick Collins in The Mail On Sunday:

'And perhaps the bravest contribution of all was made by Mauricio Pochettino, whose young and fearless footballers made a visit to Southampton one of the most rewarding experiences the League has to offer.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2619691/PATRICK-COLLINS-Jose-Mourinhos-conceit-not-curbed-age-just-picture-keeping-ball-Steven-Gerrard-shows.html

Scent from my wife's bottle of No. 5

haha exactly. the kid is 18!! FFS!

and people are writing him off already!

Yes - an 18 year old lad who is highly rated by his coaches and manager is condemned by the know-alls of a Football Forum as "not up to it" because he has not scored a shed load of goals on his first two starts.:rolleyes:

Edited by St_Tel49
missing word

Very dull game. We were the better side, but they had just As many good chances. We dominated possession but did little with it. We were far too ponderous on the break and had no runners other than Gallagher and Lallana. Playing cork Wanyama and Morgan, oh and Davis all in the same midfield and then taking off Lallana left us with nothing in the final third. It seems its the fashion these days to park the bus, but I hope that is not indicative of what we will expect next season. On this evidence we seriously need to sign several attacking players to cover for the loss of jay rod and osvaldo.

I have to say this game more than any other showed just how much we will suffer if Shaw is allowed to leave. He was our biggest threat in attack and simply outstanding in defence. Take him out of our side and just would not have offered any threat at all. He is immense and I worry that we will fall away like we did when Bale left. Hopefully he stays.

I thought the Swansea fans were excellent. We were a little subdued. Enjoyed the scarf waving and the masks. Quite strange seeing so many saints players staring back at me from in the crowd as fans wore them on the back of their heads. Weird, but quite cool.

Boruc. 7 Solid. Good decision making on kicks. Nothing to do.

Clyne 9 very good game again. Like Shaw a real threat in attack.

Fonte 7 solid. What a great season he has had. Very underrated.

Lovren 7 better. Getting back to where he was before the injury, at last. I was getting worried.

Shaw 9 another faultless display in defence. Would love to see him and cork cap the season with a goal next week, perhaps with ugly to get the third.

Wanyama 8 a very good game. I am not his greatest fan. A football must be able to pass the football. He did that well today. If he limits himself to short passes he is very effective. It's when he tries balls over 15 yards he is poor.

Cork 7 worked hard as always, but neither him nor Morgan unlocked the defence or made the runs beyond the striker that might open up Swansea.

Morgan 6 quiet game. Doesn't need wanyama and cork next to him. Our three are so good playing all of them means we lose out in attack when we don't need to.

Davis 6 very up and down game. Some tremendous pass and move, control in tight areas and keeping possession brailiantly, but on other occasions game the ball away cheaply.

Lallana 7 great movement and touch. No idea why we took him off. Was he injured. Didn't look injure to me. All threat disappeared when he went off.

Gallagher 6 worked hard and showed some nice touches at times, but some poor touches as well. Did win a fair bit in the air, but flick on went to no,one. I am still a little worried that. He doesn't take chances, but he could become a BT, time will tell.

Lambert less of a threat than Lallana IMO,

Reed needs to look to play forward a little more, first thought seems to be play short and safe. I want to see him turn and attack the space and drive forward not tippy tippy backwards to keep the ball all the time.

Prowse not exactly the attacking move we needed at time, but not his fault.

Edited by Chez

Clyne may just be coming into his peek as the world cup starts... Come on Roy Hodgson... CLYNE FOR ENGLAND!

He won't go to the world cup. It would be almost as ridiculous as Connor Wickham going, if we're honest.

How would it. Clyne is superb.

I'm not saying he's not superb, but he's played sub-20 games this year and has only just come back into the side. He will not go to the WC based on that.

It's up to him to start making the England staff's heads turn for the Euro's now.

I'm not saying he's not superb, but he's played sub-20 games this year and has only just come back into the side. He will not go to the WC based on that.

It's up to him to start making the England staff's heads turn for the Euro's now.

I wonder how many games Smalling and Jones, the supposed cover at right back for Johnson (assuming Walker does not go) have racked up between them?