Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

How the hell have you got to that?

He's right - selling an Academy product for such a large fee clearly does endorse the work our Academy does. It doesn't mean we don't already know how successful the Academy is, it just endorses it further.

Is there some kind of competition going on to find as many possible angles to bash the club from that I don't know about it? Every single quote seemingly jumped upon.

But Minty you are just as extreme the other way ie never ever criticise. Always looking for a silver lining may well be an attractive trait in a personality but as far as raw passion goes you come over a bit sterile and sanctimoniously unemotional in some of your posts. You have to surely concede fans have the right to be disappointed by the fact a team that finished 8th in the Premiership can't hold onto an 18 year old for just a bit longer. I also think Rogers statement to be a bit crass, we really do not need to be reminded that our academy is just a production line to feed bigger fatter clubs who are too idol or rich to nurture their own youngsters. Yes we may have loadsa money in the bank but if that was all I was bothered about I would get a season ticket at the LSE.

Patronising statement, as if we're all supposed to be delighted we can produce players good enough for big clubs! Wow. What an honour.

Also, Reeds words about him doing well moving on to bigger things 'as others have done before' are dangerously close to saying 'and others will in the future'.

We are victims of our own success but surely it is better to be where we are with top clubs wanting our players than where we were a few years ago with no one wanting our players? We do exactly the same and are looking to see who we can poach from other clubs. If we cant keep these players at least we are generating an income for the club from them that will help us compete in the Premiership.

Matt Le Tissier@mattletiss7

@SouthamptonFC paying the price for a good season. Pillaged by the big boys but for good prices. Big pot for @Koeman1963 to work with now

Philip Leach@LeachPhilip

@mattletiss7 @SouthamptonFC @Koeman1963 Matt you are really supporting the board here what do you know????? Must be good??

@LeachPhilip i support the club

Philip Leach@LeachPhilip

@mattletiss7 you weren't so supportive with cortese hmm

@LeachPhilip always supported the club never supported that weasel of a human being

Waterfall_bigger.jpgDarren Lewis@MirrorDarren

Southampton selling the Crown Jewels - after insisting when we said they would that they wouldn't. I love football. pic.twitter.com/gpBjI1CdO0

image_bigger.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

.@MirrorDarren you dont know how much stick I have taken on here for that headline. All very quiet now

BeDlD08CIAAA5E_.jpg

Dont recall us saying we wouldnt sell. Only that if we did it would be on our terms which is what has seemed to be the case.

Waterfall_bigger.jpgDarren Lewis@MirrorDarren

Southampton selling the Crown Jewels - after insisting when we said they would that they wouldn't. I love football. pic.twitter.com/gpBjI1CdO0

image_bigger.jpgAlex Goring Crook@alex_crook

.@MirrorDarren you dont know how much stick I have taken on here for that headline. All very quiet now

BeDlD08CIAAA5E_.jpg

Yep, they told it like it is

But Minty you are just as extreme the other way ie never ever criticise. Always looking for a silver lining may well be an attractive trait in a personality but as far as raw passion goes you come over a bit sterile and sanctimoniously unemotional in some of your posts. You have to surely concede fans have the right to be disappointed by the fact a team that finished 8th in the Premiership can't hold onto an 18 year old for just a bit longer. I also think Rogers statement to be a bit crass, we really do not need to be reminded that our academy is just a production line to feed bigger fatter clubs who are too idol or rich to nurture their own youngsters. Yes we may have loadsa money in the bank but if that was all I was bothered about I would get a season ticket at the LSE.

Dunc, I have never said to not be disappointed by losing players. We're all different and deal with that dissapointment differently. I recognise that. I have simply always stated that the judgements that are being passed on the club as a result, are premature, and that until we've seen what signings are made, and how we go next season, it is unfair that the club gets so roundly criticised by some when a sale is made.

'Raw passion' is a subjective term. Just because I don't display traits that you perhaps think a fan should, doesn't make me any less of a fan. All I do is try to look at the bigger picture, the long term.

As for the statement, this is a classic case of damned if they do... they have to say something, and whatever they say was bound to get criticised by someone. A bit of maturity in reading these things wouldn't go amiss. And also, nowhere have I said it is about money in the bank... but football is a business and that money can help us in other ways, be it buying players, developing others, and more.

I am just trying to provide some counterbalance to the fact that some people seem to want to criticise everything the club come out with on days like today without taking a moment to consider the bigger picture.

Oh and I do criticise when I feel it is justified on balance... in fact we've had this conversation before Dunc, but it's only at times like these when you think I don't, that you choose to reply to my posts.

A good fee, but isn't the academy just a bit pointless when anyone who's good enough to play at a higher level leaves after a season? It's essentially just a high quality production line for the elite clubs. It really is nothing to boast about or be proud of. The day we can keep some our our own products and use them to our advantage (eg. Champions League qualification) then maybe we can shout about it

Dunc, I have never said to not be disappointed by losing players. We're all different and deal with that dissapointment differently. I recognise that. I have simply always stated that the judgements that are being passed on the club as a result, are premature, and that until we've seen what signings are made, and how we go next season, it is unfair that the club gets so roundly criticised by some when a sale is made.

'Raw passion' is a subjective term. Just because I don't display traits that you perhaps think a fan should, doesn't make me any less of a fan. All I do is try to look at the bigger picture, the long term.

As for the statement, this is a classic case of damned if they do... they have to say something, and whatever they say was bound to get criticised by someone. A bit of maturity in reading these things wouldn't go amiss. And also, nowhere have I said it is about money in the bank... but football is a business and that money can help us in other ways, be it buying players, developing others, and more.

I am just trying to provide some counterbalance to the fact that some people seem to want to criticise everything the club come out with on days like today without taking a moment to consider the bigger picture.

Oh and I do criticise when I feel it is justified on balance... in fact we've had this conversation before Dunc, but it's only at times like these when you think I don't, that you choose to reply to my posts.

Minty I accept the potential wisdom of waiting until the window is closed before we criticise the close season as a whole, but along the way, we surely are free to vent our spleen at being patronised by Gareth Rogers on a day when we sell our two England WC stars. I am pretty sure all the kids who lashed out on Shaw and Lallana shirts last season are absolutely delighted our academy is doing so well financially. Come the end of the window no doubt you will be saying "but wait until Xmas until you judge" and then "wait until the end of the season". Me I prefer to judge each action the club is involved with on the day. I may get it wrong (Pochettino) or right (Steve Wigley) but at least I am not living in the future never never land you seem to expect us to wait for before commenting.

A good fee, but isn't the academy just a bit pointless when anyone who's good enough to play at a higher level leaves after a season? It's essentially just a high quality production line for the elite clubs. It really is nothing to boast about or be proud of. The day we can keep some our our own products and use them to our advantage (eg. Champions League qualification) then maybe we can shout about it

Absolutely spot on

While I'm disappointed at losing players as we are at the moment, we are still making progress. We are now finally selling players on our own terms at last, rather than a cheap sale for quick cash. Hopefully in time we will have moved on to the stage where we can actually hold on to our top talent.

It's still progressing at the moment, I just hope we can keep things going forward in terms of our stature and financial stability. It would be far better to build SFC slowly and securely than do a Skatesville.

Lol.......this is so funny watching the usual suspects having a breakdown! Good grief, anyone who thinks we can keep players who want to leave are nuts: players hold all the cards these days. Best we can do is to get the best price possible (which we have done with Shaw) and get good replacements in.

In case anyone has forgotten in their hysteria, we had a paper thin squad last year and when we suffered injuries so did results suffer. While Luke will be impossible to replace (one of a kind) if we can get 3 players in that will strengthen the squad that will be a very good thing. Ditto with that scumbag Lallana....Luke I wish the best to, Lallana I wish the worst of luck. And Clattenburg was obviously very very right about that little twerp.

While I'm disappointed at losing players as we are at the moment, we are still making progress. We are now finally selling players on our own terms at last, rather than a cheap sale for quick cash. Hopefully in time we will have moved on to the stage where we can actually hold on to our top talent.

It's still progressing at the moment, I just hope we can keep things going forward in terms of our stature and financial stability. It would be far better to build SFC slowly and securely than do a Skatesville.

We don't know anything of the kind, all we know is that they were knocked out of the WC last monday and 4 days later they're prancing around the north west signing for new clubs. We'll get all the usual clap trap about good deals for the club etc etc etc but at the end of the day we gave in and Utd and Liverpool got what they wanted,probably on their own terms.

Minty I accept the potential wisdom of waiting until the window is closed before we criticise the close season as a whole, but along the way, we surely are free to vent our spleen at being patronised by Gareth Rogers on a day when we sell our two England WC stars. I am pretty sure all the kids who lashed out on Shaw and Lallana shirts last season are absolutely delighted our academy is doing so well financially. Come the end of the window no doubt you will be saying "but wait until Xmas until you judge" and then "wait until the end of the season". Me I prefer to judge each action the club is involved with on the day. I may get it wrong (Pochettino) or right (Steve Wigley) but at least I am not living in the future never never land you seem to expect us to wait for before commenting.

Each to their own Dunc. You have your ways, I have mine. I'm not trying to force anything onto anyone, just saying how I see things, and why I do so. Not quite sure what the 'future never never' land is, and not sure why you need to put it to me that way. I just prefer to reflect on a longer period of time and from further away... i.e. looking back at a transfer window a month or two after it closes. You purport to respect that, but the underlying tone indicates that you can't or won't.

You think you're being 'patronised' whilst I just think he's calling it as it is. Who is right? Neither of us, it's just our interpretation, which is shaped by our outlook and personality.

I've already commented on the financial thing, you should know full well that I am the last person to laud the money in football. I hate it. But I can see that the club have decisions to make and sometimes they make a decision because they think it's in the clubs best interests. I respect that. I don't always agree, but I run two businesses, and sometimes have to make decisions I don't like either.

Bottom line is that nowadays there is always going to be a difference between what fans want/expect of a club/player, and what will actually happen. It's inescapable. The money in football has ensured that. I hate it, but don't shoot the messenger.

Well those kids have just learned a lesson in the realities of football. If you brought your kids up telling them players like Lallana and Shaw are world super stars and will never leave us then more fool you. If you print the name of a player on a shirt that's always the risk you take. It's not like you can never wear the shirt again, I've still got a replica shirt with 'Pahars' on the back lying around somewhere.

I honestly don't get why people are upset about this. It's as if some of you have only taken an interest in football this week and the idea of players moving to Man Utd for big money is news to you. If you didn't come to terms with the possibility of Shaw leaving about a year ago, you had your head in the sand.

Not at all, as I said, just a simple factual statement without the bull**** would have been fine. It's a bad situation, fans aren't stupid (ok many are), I think it's best to quickly make a statement and keep it short.

Fair comment, I can see that probably would limit the backlash, although that still strikes me as treating the symptoms and not the cause somewhat.

Also doesn't help we've had statements from Liebherr, Kruegar, Reed and Rogers on various issues. Maybe best to just say 'on behalf of the club', or keep some consistency in who is making statements. All looks very messy, and even if unfairly, becomes hard to trust.

Yes, that I'll agree with, it's almost like they've been auditioning for the permanent role.

(See FF, criticism where I think it's due)

Also doesn't help we've had statements from Liebherr, Kruegar, Reed and Rogers on various issues. Maybe best to just say 'on behalf of the club', or keep some consistency in who is making statements. All looks very messy, and even if unfairly, becomes hard to trust.

who gives a ****

:lol:

Can't wait to see what he has to say when the Lallana sale is confirmed in a few hours time, or maybe Krueger will take that one.

They should have arranged it the other way around. At least then they could have claimed to have received the highest ever record fee, and then broken that record again immediately after. This way the 25m for lallana is now going to look very small beer indeed.

They should have arranged it the other way around. At least then they could have claimed to have received the highest ever record fee, and then broken that record again immediately after. This way the 25m for lallana is now going to look very small beer indeed.

Especially when you strip off Bournemouth's cut, we'll end up with 18 million or so... I hope Bournemouth have the decency to take Sharp and Jos off our hands.

£100000 per week whilst a million people are forced to use Foodbanks

Britain today where the rich get rich and the rest of us dont

160,000 last I heard.

Edit: I just read my own post, if that figure is accurate, my brain is just about to explode with jealousy

Have to laugh at Reed's comment saying that this 'sends out a clear signal to other clubs wishing to bid for our players'. Yeah it sends out the signal Saints are open for selling to accepting any bid.

I'd say that was a really stupid thing to say, but he didn't put it across right. I think he should have STFU personally - but he clearly meant that if anyone does want our players, then they will have to pay very much over the odds. So goodbye.

I'd say that was a really stupid thing to say, but he didn't put it across right. I think he should have STFU personally - but he clearly meant that if anyone does want our players, then they will have to pay very much over the odds. So goodbye.

Did seem a bit of a gaffe didn't it ?

Although not a fan of Rupert, I preferred his "we're not going to be pushed around by a bunch of North London Yobbo's". *

*even if he did sell then Dean Richards about four months later.

Sounds feasible.

Thanks. Apparently I'm not ITK and full of ****. I've become so tired of all the abuse that I decided to name my sources on this occasion although not everybody I speak to is comfortable with being named so sometimes silence is the only option. Why can't people understand that???

I blame Pochettino for this whole Effing mess. By continuously talking up their skills to some of our players he has made them self obsessed, big headed, arrogant and greedy. No wonder they all believe it is now beneath their dignity to play for a small provincial club and will probably be in permanent denial about us from now on. Then to cap it all, the miserable Argentinian git is the first of the Rats to bu.g.ger off and jump ship, probably in the knowledge that he had successfully sowed the seeds of discontent so that nobody could inherit HIS team and do a better job than him with the same player. Now we will never know. Everyone blamed Cortese for the sh.it stirring in the press but I wonder?

Of course we've all been suckered too by trusting a bloke with a perma tan and an easy smile for all and sundry, we should have known better.

For some reason I can't stop thinking of the Manure board singing to Luke

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar.

You're gonna go far, you're gonna fly high,

You're never gonna die, you're gonna make it if you try; they're gonna love you.

Roy Harper who sang the lyrics was a Man City fan, so maybe not!!

More likely a quick game of FIFA14, a Nando's and a threesome with some dirty manc birds would have sealed the deal.

What ever his weekly wage. It's utterly obscene . My lass works 35 ours a week caring for severely disabled services users in a council run day centre . Wiping bums . Giving medication , key worker for 3 severely disabled people Etc etc the council (not Orkney) pay her a hefty £9 an hour before tax etc

Football wages are gross and obscene . No wonder the low pay feel so hacked off

Something is drastically wrong in society Luke shaw 18 years old £160 a week

Day care worker £315 a week before tax

I know this thread is about shaw but I want to put this transfer in to perspective

Charlie Wayman so do I

I hope the club have no transfer dealing with spurs for the next ten years .

You can almost hear the Argie bastard salivating at the thought of saints current predicament

Well MOPO were coming for you , were coming for you . The mighty saints are coming for you f*** off Tottenham

What ever his weekly wage. It's utterly obscene . My lass works 35 ours a week caring for severely disabled services users in a council run day centre . Wiping bums . Giving medication , key worker for 3 severely disabled people Etc etc the council (not Orkney) pay her a hefty £9 an hour before tax etc

I know this thread is about shaw but I want to put this transfer in to perspective

i really,really doubt that Shaw will be on 160K a week, if he is though he will contribute enormous sums to the UK economy, most of it comes from outside the UK as well.

So what he's doing is using his talent to support the UK economy with imported cash. If the PL was not so attractive half of the countries on the globe would not contribute

the vast sums that PL clubs divvy up between them. You want to see cheap and awful football, subscribe to BEIN and watch the Ligue 1 shîte that they serve up with Africans on 2K€ a week, truly horrendous. Park football is about the same.

A very valid post

I blame Pochettino for this whole Effing mess. By continuously talking up their skills to some of our players he has made them self obsessed, big headed, arrogant and greedy. No wonder they all believe it is now beneath their dignity to play for a small provincial club and will probably be in permanent denial about us from now on. Then to cap it all, the miserable Argentinian git is the first of the Rats to bu.g.ger off and jump ship, probably in the knowledge that he had successfully sowed the seeds of discontent so that nobody could inherit HIS team and do a better job than him with the same player. Now we will never know. Everyone blamed Cortese for the sh.it stirring in the press but I wonder?

Of course we've all been suckered too by trusting a bloke with a perma tan and an easy smile for all and sundry, we should have known better.

CEO 1: "What if we invest in improving our people and they leave."

CEO 2: "What if we don't and they stay...?"

I don't mind that players and managers come here, do a great job and move onto bigger and better things.

To do this they have to excel with us. So who loses? No-one.

The alternative is that no-one wants our players and we fall into the abyss.

Suarez will be off to Barca in a week. Then Liverpool fans will be wondering how their club moves forward? Answer, with £70m in the bank...

Our club has excelled in the past ten(?) years at uncovering talents who are becoming coveted the world over.

And one day, that money may help us become one of those clubs that those players will then also covet.

Our manager has won the Dutch league, been part of the Barca infrastructure, worked with some of the world's top managers and footballers. And is respected across Europe.

Ten years ago it was a bloke who was sacked from Coventry City.

Well, from what I saw of our players in the England squad during the WC I wasnt fantastically confident of their ability to take it to the next level...

Only Morgan has really impressed, despite Gashton's one kick of the ball........