Dejan Lovren - Transfer Rumours

St Chalet

People need to consider it takes years for a squad to bond well with each other and want to play as a team not individuals, if we sell the backbone of out team i.e Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Jrod, etc we will never be the same again any time soon! its total madness to sell more than two key players from our squad

I've seen reported that Liverpool have 40-60 million to spend, the higher number being dependent on then off loading some players, so far they've been linked with at least two off our players in the region of 40 million considering they need several players to strengthen the squad for Champions league I think our players are going to be to expensive for them. Man U on the other hand are reported to 150-200 million to spend ........

Last three years spending

£48m spent, £25m sold

£49m spent, £6m sold

£34m spent, £4m sold

Obviously the TV income has gone up somewhat this year, and they have the CL income next, so who knows by how much that effects their spending money.

At the risk of sounding ITK....

....someone told me that Lovren is expecting to leave Saints this summer. Apparently said goodbye to all the staff....

Edit:- The same person told me that Pochettino is definitely staying.

We'll soon see how ITK they are I guess.

Edited by georgeweahscousin

At the risk of sounding ITK....

....someone told me that Lovren is expecting to leave Saints this summer. Apparently said goodbye to all the staff....

or maybe he is off to link up with his Croatian team mates for the World Cup?

Disastrous if Lovren goes. St Chalet- name me a defender who is equal or better than Lovren that we can get for £5-10m?

People need to consider it takes years for a squad to bond well with each other and want to play as a team not individuals, if we sell the backbone of out team i.e Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Jrod, etc we will never be the same again any time soon! its total madness to sell more than two key players from our squad

I'd go further in saying taking one player ou, Shaw specifically, could easily upset the balance of the whole side. When chairman are shipping mattresses to get that critical edge you know there are fine lines between winning and losing games. Those mm go out the window when you sell, what quite,frankly has been our whole left side and on occasions our best attacking weapon.

I know there is a big difference between Fox and Shaw, but when Shaw was injured last season and Fox came in we were woeful. One player can tip,the balance. Obviously we'd hope to narrow the gulf in quality between Shaw and the replacement, but you will see a drop off in our attacking threat for certain and we will all look at the loss of Rodriguez or Lallana, but it will be no Shaw.

I'd like to see us get one of these touted players sign a massive new contract just as Lallana did in league 1 as that was the start of everything. Alternatively put in a big big for someone to show we are going forward. Mind you everyone will just think we are doing a spurs and buys before selling.

Disastrous if Lovren goes. St Chalet- name me a defender who is equal or better than Lovren that we can get for £5-10m?

Exactly what I said, but wasn't that 'type of goodbye'. Like I said no idea how reliable this info is...

People thought Lovren was a risky signing when we brought him due to some French media not rating him.

Again I have some faith if he was to be sold we could get a sturdy replacement, you have to remember with Dejan he was at a bigger club before us that played in the Champions League, and to move to us as a career move is a brief step down for him.

I would say his ambitions will lie away from St Mary's - that's not to say he'd be the worse loss, I think we could very easily sign another decent CB, a question of who though is anyones guess. My sneaky suspicion is that we will get an ageing star who will join us, but will hold things steady at the back.

With out Lovren this season I don't think we'd be in the position we're in. If we sell half the players we're rumoured to then 17th (c dalek) will be a great achievement for next season. My admiration for the board, manager and players that have given us a great season will plummet accordingly.

I'd go further in saying taking one player ou, Shaw specifically, could easily upset the balance of the whole side. When chairman are shipping mattresses to get that critical edge you know there are fine lines between winning and losing games. Those mm go out the window when you sell, what quite,frankly has been our whole left side and on occasions our best attacking weapon.

I know there is a big difference between Fox and Shaw, but when Shaw was injured last season and Fox came in we were woeful. One player can tip,the balance. Obviously we'd hope to narrow the gulf in quality between Shaw and the replacement, but you will see a drop off in our attacking threat for certain and we will all look at the loss of Rodriguez or Lallana, but it will be no Shaw.

I'd like to see us get one of these touted players sign a massive new contract just as Lallana did in league 1 as that was the start of everything. Alternatively put in a big big for someone to show we are going forward. Mind you everyone will just think we are doing a spurs and buys before selling.

Disagree completely. In terms of understanding, the relationship between Lallana, Jrod and Lambert is far harder to reproduce. Shaw is an excellent player and Fox was out of his depth. But Shaw's contribution is felt far more as an individual, not because of how well he's linked with others. It could be argued that this is a relative weakness of his game -for instance, his cross selection still needs works -to learn where others are in the box and what runs they're making (if he's not going to look up as he tends to do). A transfer policy of plug and play might not be the end of the world in this respect, granted that any replacement won't be as good as Shaw in terms of individual ability.

Edited by shurlock

Would be surprised if Lovren is agitating for, or expecting a move. Always seemed content at the club and an integral presence in the dressing room.

As Simon Peach tweeted yesterday, the real worry is how the new board are communicating with the players and whether that has become the most de-stablising influence rather than external forces.

I'd never really worried about Lallana leaving the club given how effusive he was in media interviews about seeing out his career with us. It's only over the last 6 weeks or so that the mood has changed. Now he seems most likely to leave.

How many hints have players like Fonte, Lambert, Lallana, Morgan, dropped in interviews that they want the board to demonstrate their ambition and intentions? None of that seems forthcoming...

If we sold Lovren for £20m, could probably get two of: Davide Astori, Steven Caulker and Cheikhou Kouyate (any other realistic centre back suggestions, anyone?) and still have a little bit of change left over.

Or we could just keep Lovren and sign one of those...

With the massive increase in Prem money, it's hard to know what is the "right" price to sell a player at.

1. Hopefully we don't sell any.

2. If we do, then hold on until after the world cup and get as much money as possible.

Agree totally as above

If he had to go to Liverpool getting agger(who seems much less in favour there) as part of the deal might make it more palatable to me. All the rumours though are making my default position reject.

Agger's one of their highest earners, so I assume if they do want to move him on that'll be part of the reason. Doubt we could afford his wages and he wouldn't want to come here anyway.

I personally can't see Lovren moving on after one season in England. Moves are always rumoured when players come over and make an instant impact at a smaller club but they almost always stay past the first season. Benteke's a good example.

Astori was always quoted around the £10m mark. There will be other good value buys out there and quite sure the transfer committee will have been monitoring. However, at risk of losing face on SWF I have actually been now convinced by my peers on here that £20m in the current market probably isn't that appealing as I first believed.

Generally agree with this unfortunately Southampton has always been a club known for nurturing young talent and selling it on at profit, its how we survive but its dam frustrating, just as we have assembled probably the best squad we've had in a long time (apart from upfront, looking very thin there at the moment) jrod is good enough, osvaldo a dsisater, ricky still very valuable player to us but the wrong side of 30.

Saying that why sell players when we have the 90 million for finishing eighth?

If they both go then I hope this is how we do it.

It would give Bournemouth a real reason to hate us.

they'd only appeal to a tribunal and get a shedload at the end of the day.

It's like back in the old days when certain types of shops couldn't trade on Sunday. There was an outfit round Bournemouth/Poole way who gave you a free carpet of your choice with a pound of carrots sold at the exact price of the carpet chosen. It lasted about 2 weeks I think before they got hauled before the relevant tribunal and heavily fined.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I actually am more than happy paying Bournemouth millions if they are due it. Of course no one wants to pay if they can get away with it, but it's supposedly there and nothing can be done about it. The amount of money in the game is ridiculous, and the concentration of it at the top is just wrong with near zero redistribution throughout the leagues and grass roots. Just have to be grateful that it is a club to the west rather than the east.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I couldn't care less about the money, it's not like I'll see it.

You do not become a better team by selling your best players.

The more we lose, the more we have to sign. Which never works, you'll end up a squad of individuals.

Yup. I don't know when fans became more excited about the club's finances than the quality of our first team players. It's an odd state of affairs. Me, I hope we keep our top 14 players, add a bit of quality up front and in goal and then continue with this bloody exciting project.

I actually am more than happy paying Bournemouth millions if they are due it. Of course no one wants to pay if they can get away with it, but it's supposedly there and nothing can be done about it. The amount of money in the game is ridiculous, and the concentration of it at the top is just wrong with near zero redistribution throughout the leagues and grass roots. Just have to be grateful that it is a club to the west rather than the east.

This.

I expected this to be Liverpool's first bid aimed in our direction - far more so than one for Lallana.

Nearly all of the big club have major issues in the middle of the back row (key players aging or leaving or falling short on the quality front), so there will probably be huge competition for Lovren.

I'll be very pleasantly shocked if he starts next season in our colours, but at least we should get a hell of a fee for him if he goes.

Amazing really, the Scousers finish 2nd but still want to buy half the team finishing only 8th. Sounds like looney land up there to me.

The 5 year project has been exciting but its ended...it was 5 years ago today that our administrator gave the exclusive purchase offer to Pinnacle, Leon Crouch laying down an unreturnable £500,000 to keep the club alive while Pinnacle and MLT found the cash...the rest is our 5 year miracle, ended

The 5 year project has been exciting but its ended...it was 5 years ago today that our administrator gave the exclusive purchase offer to Pinnacle, Leon Crouch laying down an unreturnable £500,000 to keep the club alive while Pinnacle and MLT found the cash...the rest is our 5 year miracle, ended

Unless of course, KL and RK have proposed a new 5 year plan... ;) (they have)

Lovren would be very difficult to replace. I would rather the other 2 to go rather than him. Our defence was solid and he was a leader. He was the IMO one of the top 5 central defenders in the. PL last season

Yes, agreed, and our competitors saw that as well. IIRC Liverpool were interested in Lovren last pre-season but we won the race to sign him,. They are likely interested in him still ..... or, as some have said, it's paper talk re-hashing interest from a year ago.

I thought that was a bit ambiguous, to be honest. Might have suffered in translation. Good if he's keen to stay though and the optimist in me says he's been satisfied that MP is not off (or incoming is a good one)

Still means nothing,he is saying the right thing but if a offer comes in he could still go,only absolute cretins go on record and say they would jump at the chance of joining a bigger club

So the only thing I can say right now is that the club is the one who decides."

How much would relegation cost us? If we sell all our good players without decent replacements then that's a question worth considering.

There seems to be this opinion that if we sell any players we won't replace them with decent signings. I can't work out why people think the owner and new board want to sell all our best players, keep the money and get relegated. I really don't think anyone at the club, or among the fans, wants that. I think there is however a realistic understanding that sometimes for what ever reason some players/staff want to move on. I can live with this as long as the money from their sales goes back in to the squad/stregthening the academy. I imagine everyone would be ****ed if we sell all our players and then KL puts the money towards a new private jet but I really can't see that happening.

But just imagine that 8th place team with Suarez up front...............

Very good post. I just wonder where we would have finished? What do you think? Top 6,5,4? Maybe if Lovren hadn't got injured?