Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

So does anyone know what's happening with VW if he was an international game early August? Is he back with us momentarily?

I think it was Jim Lucas that said on twitter that he should be back this week and Gaston too while Spider is coming back next week...

It's been a strange pre-season I think; surprisingly successful league position achieved against a backdrop of boardroom upheaval, followed by departure of greedy slippery-pole-climbing manager and jump-ship starry-eyed players. I know that the opposition hasn't been strong, but given that we've played the youngsters right left and centre, and used 22 different players each game, then 3 wins and no goals conceded suggests a squad that's learned to play for the manager. I like the way there's been no drama, and a general sense of do-your-job-thanks-very-much. With Wanyama, Ramirez, Schneiderlin to return, Rodriguez to ease back, Forster perhaps en route in, and Lovren to have to suck up what Suarez sucked up a year ago, we're not in a bad position. I can't help thinking that a good dozen Prem clubs would love to have our "problems"...

It's been a strange pre-season I think; surprisingly successful league position achieved against a backdrop of boardroom upheaval, followed by departure of greedy slippery-pole-climbing manager and jump-ship starry-eyed players. I know that the opposition hasn't been strong, but given that we've played the youngsters right left and centre, and used 22 different players each game, then 3 wins and no goals conceded suggests a squad that's learned to play for the manager. I like the way there's been no drama, and a general sense of do-your-job-thanks-very-much. With Wanyama, Ramirez, Schneiderlin to return, Rodriguez to ease back, Forster perhaps en route in, and Lovren to have to suck up what Suarez sucked up a year ago, we're not in a bad position. I can't help thinking that a good dozen Prem clubs would love to have our "problems"...

like it, fingers crossed. (spell check made it fingers cortesed…apple is wum/saint charlie clearly)

Lovren isn't going to suck anything up, apart from Modric maybe.

He'll be gone pretty soon.

I noticed West Ham are out in New Zealand. I mean, WTF!!

I get it that it is good to get away as a team but New Zealand. How can that benefit the team?

They managed to lose to a team worse than the side that Newcastle pumped 4-0 as well. An impressive start to Fat Sam's "Operation Aesthetically Pleasing" :lol:

Not that it matters, but what kit will we wear tomorrow? both seem like they'll clash a bit, alternative shorts/socks?

We'll wear navy as we've said we will, they'll probably wear whichever of their kits they want to promote the most.

Getting train tomorrow after work, was thinking getting off at Pokesdown as nearer and won't have much time, any pubs near Pokesdown station / the ground ? or best to get off at Bournemouth

Pokesdown easier to walk and there's a pub right outside the station. Getting off at Bournemouth is better if you have long enough for a few pints.

So does anyone know what's happening with VW if he was an international game early August? Is he back with us momentarily?

Kenya have a game on the 3rd Aug. But Victor himself got sent off in the last game, so I don't know, but would guess that is a one match ban and he won't play?

Kenya have a game on the 3rd Aug. But Victor himself got sent off in the last game, so I don't know, but would guess that is a one match ban and he won't play?

He got sent off in a friendly a couple of weeks back, don't know if he played in the official match against Lesotho last week. Think he might have.

He got sent off in a friendly a couple of weeks back, don't know if he played in the official match against Lesotho last week. Think he might have.

Iam amazed nobody has come in for Victor yet, although you never know what is going on behind the scenes

Spurs, any decent club who want a defensive midfielder. You might not rate him but I think he is a decent player

Nothing to do with me rating him.

We bought him for more than 12m only last year. We wouldn't sell for at least 20m, and unlike Lovren he has not done enough to be near double in value.

Do name these "any clubs".

Nothing to do with me rating him.

We bought him for more than 12m only last year. We wouldn't sell for at least 20m, and unlike Lovren he has not done enough to be near double in value.

Do name these "any clubs".

I'm not privy to information which clubs are looking for his type of player. How about instead of constantly trying to dis people's opinions how about you take the novel stance of actually stating an opinion that we can then dissect. It would be a first

I'm not privy to information which clubs are looking for his type of player. How about instead of constantly trying to dis people's opinions how about you take the novel stance of actually stating an opinion that we can then dissect. It would be a first

My opinion is we wouldn't sell VW for less than 20m for the reasons already stated. Only the big four/five would spend that on a DM and they won't be coming in for VW. Being that you haven't named those clubs either suggests you don't either.

There's an opinion, stated. Like I do all the time. Okay with you?

Been thinking why Cork and Fonte havnt yet been offered new contracts ......maybe because the Board are worried they would reject a new contract and it would look worse in the press and alert buyers to them wanting away ???

I cant think of any other rational reason for them not have been offered an extension or a new contract .

Anyone else any idea ??

Anyone else any idea ??

Fonté couldn't really say, perhaps he's coming to the end of his useful shelf life with the club. Cork...obvious..his position is required for the "best player we've ever produced".

Don"t want him keeping our England Unders players out of the team now do we. Reed is a man with a mission.

Been thinking why Cork and Fonte havnt yet been offered new contracts ......maybe because the Board are worried they would reject a new contract and it would look worse in the press and alert buyers to them wanting away ???

I cant think of any other rational reason for them not have been offered an extension or a new contract .

Anyone else any idea ??

It's all gone a bit quiet on that front - could be talks are happening now. Mind you I could be talking ********.

My opinion is we wouldn't sell VW for less than 20m for the reasons already stated. Only the big four/five would spend that on a DM and they won't be coming in for VW. Being that you haven't named those clubs either suggests you don't either.

There's an opinion, stated. Like I do all the time. Okay with you?

If your going to pick his post apart, maybe you can show proof that we won't accept less than 20m ? If Morgan is supposedly attracting interest then why not VW ?

If your going to pick his post apart, maybe you can show proof that we won't accept less than 20m ? If Morgan is supposedly attracting interest then why not VW ?

It's my opinion, and the only proof I need is to say it's my opinion.

We won't sell players we want to keep unless we get significant sums, and it is only the biggest clubs paying those sums. And we would expect a significant profit on VW, we're not going to accept thirteen/fourteen million for someone we signed a year ago for twelve on a long contract .

No big club is going to want VW at that price, and we won't sell him to a smaller club, who won't pay that much.

Let's stop pretending OldNick was making a flattering point about VW. He wasn't. Just another bedwetting whinge that our terrible old club is going to sell everyone. Well, we haven't, and we won't.

The report of Keyna's match on FIFA web site had some interesting comments :- http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/240/684/0/index.html

Kenya were forced to field a depleted team with clubs in Belgium, Norway and France not releasing four players as the qualifier fell outside official FIFA international dates. Among those missing were goalkeeper Arnold Origi and star striker Dennis Oliech. But midfielder Victor Wanyama was freed by English Premier League club Southampton for the third-round, first-leg clash.

It's my opinion, and the only proof I need is to say it's my opinion.

We won't sell players we want to keep unless we get significant sums, and it is only the biggest clubs paying those sums. And we would expect a significant profit on VW, we're not going to accept thirteen/fourteen million for someone we signed a year ago for twelve on a long contract .

No big club is going to want VW at that price, and we won't sell him to a smaller club, who won't pay that much.

Let's stop pretending OldNick was making a flattering point about VW. He wasn't. Just another bedwetting whinge that our terrible old club is going to sell everyone. Well, we haven't, and we won't.

Until the club get an offer we don't know if they will sell him. If we do And Victor wants to leave the template is already been put in place Twitter and no training.

We need him more than some of the players who left and I for one hope no offers come in, but he was also sold 'the dream'

I love the way legitimate concerns are seen as bed wetting, your sleepwalking needs looking at

I think we'll get beat tonight, Bournemouth will be up for it and at full-strength I'd imagine? 2-1 defeat.

Doubt well score 1, Bournemouth are a decent side. We will be under strength and so their organisation and stability will be important. 2-3 nil I suspect, friendliest don't count though so it is not a major problem

I think we'll get beat tonight, Bournemouth will be up for it and at full-strength I'd imagine? 2-1 defeat.

They are certainly a big step up from the dross we have played so far and are in good form. Should be a good game and probably tougher than Brighton as Bournemouth have a better squad.

Ideal pre season fixture I reckon.

Doubt well score 1, Bournemouth are a decent side. We will be under strength and so their organisation and stability will be important. 2-3 nil I suspect, friendliest don't count though so it is not a major problem

Only player missing will be Morgan and possibly Lovren (if he even counts) so if we are under strength then its not just for the game tonight, that just is our strength level at the moment.

We should be able to trouble them too.

They are certainly a big step up from the dross we have played so far and are in good form. Should be a good game and probably tougher than Brighton as Bournemouth have a better squad.

Ideal pre season fixture I reckon.

Agreed, it'll be a genune step up and a decent work out, a good test for the us aganst a lively looking Bournemouth side.

Is Ramirez likely to be involved?