Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

Squad tonight clearly shows the areas we lack. Wide options arent even proven at Championship level in all honesty and badly need another goalscorer.

Still, Koeman will have had a good look at everyone by now.

Ill wait a couple of weeks to scrutinise squad strength, pretty obvious the areas we lack right now

Starting XI looked comfortable and for much of the first half totally dominated. Final ball was a little lacking at times and I felt that Pelle would have been better off with someone along side him. FWIW Pelle looks a decent player, very much in the Lambert mould but has the mobility to get into the box after laying off/playing the ball out wide.

Fonte and Jos looked far more at ease than Maya. Whether that was because Swindon were attacking more in the latter stages or his communication with the young lad in the middle just isn't there at the moment. If Lovren is off, then two CB are a necessity (but we all knew that!).

Playing with a lot of width, lots of crosses but McQueen seemed a little hesitant at times. Isgrove played well on the left as did Targett. Obviously bigger tests to come but I have no worries about him stepping up this season. Reed looks like a quality little player though, his role tonight seemed to be just break things up and to move the ball along, keep it flowing etc...the more experienced players shone out as you would expect especially Cork who has to be offered a long term deal soon!

Finally a quick word about Sharp who looked very lively when he came on. I would imagine that another striker is on the shopping list but it would be interesting to see if he gets a few opportunities this season. Great support too, must have been 1000 or so tonight which is great to see

It's difficult to comment on specifics from those highlights, but what I think you can see is a bit more urgency in attack... a desire to work the ball wide, to get crosses in, to feed the front man and play off of him, for the full backs to push forward not just to provide width but also to run in behind... If I had to choose a word, I would say it all seems a bit more dynamic than what we had last season in attack.

We need to see how it translates with better players and against better opposition, but I can see it might be a bit more exciting to watch, even if it means we are less controlled in possession and perhaps more open to attack ourselves.

This is purely speculation based on cumulative highlights so far, but that seems to be a common theme.

Anyone knows if this sorting out the work permit means that Tadic cant be with the squad and train either or is he allowed to do that??

Tadic has been with the squad training since he signed, as seen in some of the clubs videos, so only the games it would seem.

Tadic has been with the squad training since he signed, as seen in some of the clubs videos, so only the games it would seem.

I´ve only seen videos from when they were in Belgium/Holland and that wouldn´t be any problem.

It´s when they´re back on home ground the question is open for me...

In his work training would be part of the job description and if the work permit isn´t done yet I would think he´s not allowed to do that either...?

Starting XI looked comfortable and for much of the first half totally dominated. Final ball was a little lacking at times and I felt that Pelle would have been better off with someone along side him. FWIW Pelle looks a decent player, very much in the Lambert mould but has the mobility to get into the box after laying off/playing the ball out wide.

Fonte and Jos looked far more at ease than Maya. Whether that was because Swindon were attacking more in the latter stages or his communication with the young lad in the middle just isn't there at the moment. If Lovren is off, then two CB are a necessity (but we all knew that!).

Playing with a lot of width, lots of crosses but McQueen seemed a little hesitant at times. Isgrove played well on the left as did Targett. Obviously bigger tests to come but I have no worries about him stepping up this season. Reed looks like a quality little player though, his role tonight seemed to be just break things up and to move the ball along, keep it flowing etc...the more experienced players shone out as you would expect especially Cork who has to be offered a long term deal soon!

Finally a quick word about Sharp who looked very lively when he came on. I would imagine that another striker is on the shopping list but it would be interesting to see if he gets a few opportunities this season. Great support too, must have been 1000 or so tonight which is great to see

Agree with most of that (apart from bit about Sharp), did like the look of Pelle, touch of class, would do well with runners off him. Also thought Clyne, JWP, Reed and Chambers played well, decent enough work out all told.

Could have done with Davis and Tadic, pity they weren't able to appear.

Might be getting ahead of myself based on 2x 45 minute appearances, but I think Pelle will be a really good signing for us. Links up play really well and not afraid to have a shot on goal either which is something I think we lacked from a striker last year. Him playing in front of Rodriguez, Tadic and Gaston could produce a lot of goals this season if we're lucky..

Cheers.

McQueen struggled a little on the right wing tonight but combined well with Clyne who was imo the best player in the first half. He was cutting inside and going to the line in equal measure which was good to see. Pelle looks solid, makes me think of an athletic built crouch, he made some great short layoffs and the chest pass seems to be a favourite of his. When someone begins to read his moves and plays closer to him they will earn a lot of goals off Pelle. In the first 10 minutes he was also dictating nearly every pass through midfield with hand signals which gives an idea of how competitive and determined this guy is to win. I can't see Gallagher stepping up for a while yet, he rarely manages to find the right places to receive the ball or help the attack, loan might be good for him (just my opinion). Chambers was real quality when he came on, gonna be a real battle between him and Clyne for starting spot. Cork solid. Mayuka and Sharp interesting cameos. Mayuka would be decent if he could be converted into more of a right winger. Need a new keeper, Gazza needs regular games at a lower level. Saw nowhere near enough of Target to judge his level compared to Shaw.What he did have to cope with in terms of Swindon pressure he did mostly well.

Edited by Mallagroth

Sounding very positive from those that were there so far.

Would like to at least give say Sharp and Mayuka a go in the early cup rounds, especially sharp, see what he can offer with new life.

Promising feedback on the youngsters which is especially nice, as is the Pelle feedback. Good to hear the usual suspects are performing as good as we know they can :D shame about the goals.

I thought Pelle looked a real handful tonight and will give centerhalfs something to seriously think about this season. You could see he was getting a bit frustrated by the quality of service tonight or the pace the wide men were getting it into the box. Wasn't very impressed with McQueen, got into a lot of good positions but faltered with the final ball. Give Pelle decent service and my opinion is he will score, he is a bloody man mountain.

All the players from last season were definitely a class apart, Clyne and Chambers both shone for me, shame they play the same position. Non of the youngsters really stood out for me as definite candidates for the first team, but for many it's the first time I have seen them play, and clearly it's pre season.

A very solid display, never looked like we would lose it but never looked like we would run away with it.

I'm not sure Gaston Ramirez will be back at St Mary's as I expect he will be agitating for a move back to Italy - a bit like Osvaldo.

And it's a bit too early to be. Punting od Rodriguez - even if he does stay until January.

I also have a feeling we won't be seeing Morgan or Lovren in a Saints shirt again - for pretty much the same reasons - both of them will force through transfers to bigger clubs .

Our starting 11 looks pretty weak right now:

Tadic. Pelle/Gallagher. Isgrove/McQueen

Davis/Reed Wanyama. Cork/Ward-Prowse.

Targett. Hooiveld/Yoshida. Fonte. Clyne/Chambers

Boruc/Davis

We need to bring another 2 if not 3 players this week - and another 2 or 3 the week after if we are going to have a good start this season - and I think we are going to need one.

We need at least 1 more left back, another striker with pace and at least one more winger attacking midfielder.

What was Gazzaniga doing at 2:38? :mcinnes:

To be fair to him that time he actually made the right decision coming off his line as it forced the attacker wide which gave our defence time to get back and cover. If he'd stayed rooted to the line their striker would have had a free pop at goal.

really hope we send him out on loan this season, the guy really needs the experience.

Sounding very positive from those that were there so far.

Would like to at least give say Sharp and Mayuka a go in the early cup rounds, especially sharp, see what he can offer with new life.

Promising feedback on the youngsters which is especially nice, as is the Pelle feedback. Good to hear the usual suspects are performing as good as we know they can :D shame about the goals.

Neither Sharp nor Mayuka are good enough to have a decent impact I'm afraid.