Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

Southampton FC@SouthamptonFC 2m

#SaintsFC second-half team: Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Turnbull, Flannigan, Reed, Sharp, McQueen, Mayuka, Gallagher

Who's playing left back second half? I thought Turnbull was a centre back? Maybe Yoshida on the left?

I think Turnbull is the most likely left back, although he is a centre back he is left footed.

I know these early games are just about getting rid of rustiness etc, but can't see how the 2nd half line up of Sharp, Gallagher and Mayuka in the same side would work?

Yoshida playing left back?

The system Koeman wants us to play appears to be something like this...

2nd half

[color=#292F33][font=Helvetica Neue]Boruc

Chambers    Fonte    Yoshida     Turnbull

Flannigan

Reed        Sharp 

McQueen                                 Mayuka 

Gallagher[/font][/color]

Sharp used in central midfield due to the absence of Schnedierlin, Ramirez and Wanyama from the squad.

Edited by Matthew Le God

2nd half

Flannigan

Reed        Sharp 

Gallagher[/font][/color]

Sharp used in central midfield due to the absence of Schnedierlin and Wanyama from the squad.

Sharp in midfield doesn't make sense to me, not that it matters much at this stage I guess.

2nd half

Flannigan

Reed        Sharp 

Gallagher[/font][/color]

That's not the point - it's whether it makes sense to squeeze Sharp into midfield.

Just the one MLG point? I'd be spitting feathers if I only got one point for a pick up like that one, ffs. :^)

You don't get MLG points for merely correcting a mistake, there has to be a certain level of panache displayed. They're very difficult to attain.

That's not the point - it's whether it makes sense to squeeze Sharp into midfield.

I guess in the absence of Morgan, Big Vic and Gaston we don't really have much choice. I would imagine he'll probably end up playing a second striker role, pushing up behind Gallagher with Flannigan covering in midfield.

Sharp in midfield doesn't make sense to me, not that it matters much at this stage I guess.

I think he is merely being used there because we are using the system Koeman wants us to play and as he is using two XI's in each game he needs Sharp to make up the numbers in central midfield in the absence of Schneiderlin, Ramirez and Wanyama from the tour. I very much doubt Koeman sees Sharp in his plans at all, let alone in central midfield. He is just making up the numbers at the moment and shoehorned into central midfield until the full squad is together.

You don't get MLG points for merely correcting a mistake, there has to be a certain level of panache displayed. They're very difficult to attain.

You get even more MLG points if you attempt to defend the indefensible. Brown-nosing and white-washing whatever the club does is increasingly a must.

I guess in the absence of Morgan, Big Vic and Gaston we don't really have much choice. I would imagine he'll probably end up playing a second striker role, pushing up behind Gallagher with Flannigan covering in midfield.

Sharp will probably end up L1 or maybe the Championship. Who plays where in glorified training kick abouts in neither here nor there.

I think he is merely being used there because we are using the system Koeman wants us to play and as he is using two XI's in each game he needs Sharp to make up the numbers in central midfield in the absence of Schneiderlin, Ramirez and Wanyama from the tour. I very much doubt Koeman sees Sharp in his plans at all, let alone in central midfield. He is just making up the numbers at the moment and shoehorned into central midfield until the full squad is together.

Yeah, fair enough, makes sense, just stood out a bit as unusual.

You get even more MLG points if you attempt to defend the indefensible. Brown-nosing and white-washing whatever the club does is increasingly a must.

Players ahead of Sharp for central midfield in the pecking order...

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Cork

Ramirez

Reed

Koeman is using a different XI in each half and has a number of central midfielders not available, Sharp playing there vs two lower league Low Country teams is largely meaningless. He's just making up the numbers until the full squad is available and we aren't making mass changes at half time each game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Players ahead of Sharp for central midfield in the pecking order...

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

S.Davis

Ward-Prowse

Cork

Ramirez

Reed

Koeman is using a different XI in each half and has a number of central midfielders not available, Sharp playing there vs two lower league Low Country teams is largely meaningless, he's just making up the numbers until the full squad is avaialbe and we aren't making mass changes at half time each game.

It's a more general observation - in this particular case, I agree Sharp is simply making up the numbers and keeping the seat warm till others return from holiday/international duty.

What a great interview! We have some real talent at this club and they came across as as a bunch of guys who know where they are going! Made some of the ridiculously paid pr**ks that we see on TV every week doing interviews look very stupid!

Give it a couple of years and Mark Clattenburg will be telling them they've changed.

Be interesting to see how much game time this lad gets. We always seem to have a new name ready after breaking through pre-season

oxo, JWP, Shaw and Chambers spring to mind in recent years.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/17062014-sam-mcqueen-signs-four-year-contract-1647510.aspx

True, and they always seem to make a couple of first team appearances towards the second half of the season before.

Missed a bit, but whose Flannigan(?) another academy player?

MLG enough with the Vids give us some details! What is his age, his position, his potential? Why is he in the Snior squad and not some of the other kids?

Are he & McCarthy the next big thing now that Harry Reed is the new Paul Scholes?