Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

Nah, he's on an obscene amount of money. Once someone sat him down and told him that his ambition to ever play anywhere else simply disappeared.

Let's not forget that Billy's ambition is probably to play games in the prem. That usually starts and ends in pre season so he can go on his championship national tour. Could buck that trend this summer so Billy might be fine.

It's our woeful treatment of Lovren which is really ****ing me off at the moment. We're messing with all his ambition, making him train with Jos all over again.

For the little you can take from five minutes of highlights in a pre-season opener against weak opposition, the following things stood out.

Reed looked composed and busy in centrefield; I'd be surprised if he doesn't make an impression this year.

Mayuka looked good; great touch; smart lay offs and real pace. Targett certainly has a genuine left foot and showed deft touch

Mayuka's finishing was poor though.

Interesting Sharp played in midfield, basically a body rather than a serious option for next season.

Couple of nice bits from Targett from what you saw, Swindon will be the first real indication though.

No it won't friendlies at this stage are all about fitness if you think the sides we put out at Swindon will have any bearing on the team against Liverpool then you are way off.

Newcastle lost to Oldham....wow bet they are panicking....or not

No it won't friendlies at this stage are all about fitness if you think the sides we put out at Swindon will have any bearing on the team against Liverpool then you are way off.

Newcastle lost to Oldham....wow bet they are panicking....or not

I meant Swindon will be the first indication of some of the younger players on how ready they are to be part of the first team setup for the season. Of course it won't be our strongest team, but we can take more from it than a game versus amateurs.

Let's not forget that Billy's ambition is probably to play games in the prem. That usually starts and ends in pre season so he can go on his championship national tour. Could buck that trend this summer so Billy might be fine.

It's our woeful treatment of Lovren which is really ****ing me off at the moment. We're messing with all his ambition, making him train with Jos all over again.

Not really: surely the only ambition a player ever needs is to play for a team with ambition and vision.

RK has, I'm sure, convinced Lovren that we will be that team. And as we know playing for a team with ambition to play at a higher level beats playing for a team who already are at a higher level hands down.

Edited by CB Fry

I know a still photo can be deceiving but on pic 35 of the gallery Lovren isnt exactly looking pleased to be there.

He's been mopo-ing about the place with face like smacked arse ever since he got back. It must be torture for the poor soul, playing for southampton :(

Probably the same highlights as above but also has the squad sheets at the start.

Edit: nope, there is more in that one than the previous video.

Good coverage of our first pre-season match and associated pre/post interviews.

So much stuff is now on You Tube I can't see the point of my Saintsplayer subscription. Doesn't seem to be any exclusive footage on there anymore, only useful for Radio Solent commentary (if out of Solent area) and some extended highlights. It was useful in previous seasons in the lower leagues when Saints weren't shown so much on TV or limited highlights.

Last footage that I can see on there is from the last game of the season against Manchester United!!, I'm sure in previous seasons there was lots of pre-season footage.

I don't think I'll be renewing this year.

From the highlights, it looked like Reed could be stepping up to start more regularly, McQueen did pretty well without being spectacular, Sinclair and Mayuka were wasteful, Targett has a decent range of two-footed passing and hits a better cross than Shaw but doesn't run with the ball as much, Davis hit an incredible shot, and Gallagher looks fitter and more positive. Didn't get much chance to check out what our defending was like. :)

Good coverage of our first pre-season match and associated pre/post interviews.

So much stuff is now on You Tube I can't see the point of my Saintsplayer subscription. Doesn't seem to be any exclusive footage on there anymore, only useful for Radio Solent commentary (if out of Solent area) and some extended highlights. It was useful in previous seasons in the lower leagues when Saints weren't shown so much on TV or limited highlights.

Last footage that I can see on there is from the last game of the season against Manchester United!!, I'm sure in previous seasons there was lots of pre-season footage.

I don't think I'll be renewing this year.

The club is bound by a contract regarding Saints Player, so there has to be a certain amount of exclusive content on there. That will include highlights from competitive games, which they almost certainly won't be allowed to put on YouTube until those end of season review videos.

And as we know playing for a team with ambition to play at a higher level beats playing for a team who already are at a higher level hands down.

Good point. A bit Off Topic, sorry, but yes, THIS.

Ambition is defined as a desire to ACHIEVE something. A footballer getting bought by a club who have already 'achieved' is not showing ambition themselves, but showing their greed and impatience.

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

[video=youtube;-AaPRStWSiA]

Genuinely sounded disappointed that we didn't win at least 8-0 but excused it as was only first performance, liking his style. I guess he will be imminently addressing our recent poor chance conversion rate.

Genuinely sounded disappointed that we didn't win at least 8-0 but excused it as was only first performance, liking his style. I guess he will be imminently addressing our recent poor chance conversion rate.

Not sure our poor conversion rate is particularly recent, we missed a hell of a lot of good chances last season.

I never really rated Mayuka anyway but he did little to change my mind with those highlights. Maybe the rest of his game was better but to waste those chances against such poor opposition is disappointing. He wont get that much time and space next season and he still couldn't score. Personally I would try and offload him, doesn't look a Premier League player.

I never really rated Mayuka anyway but he did little to change my mind with those highlights. Maybe the rest of his game was better but to waste those chances against such poor opposition is disappointing. He wont get that much time and space next season and he still couldn't score. Personally I would try and offload him, doesn't look a Premier League player.

Agree. From those highlights he played alright generally but his finishing was terrible, wasted at least three clear chances one on one with GK. We dont need a forward who cant finish.

Saw someone on youtube comments suggest Mayuka could be converted into winger. Interesting idea, but I have only seen the little he has played at Saints and he never really had enough of the ball for me to get a real idea of his passing/crossing ability. Anyone seen more of him? What do people think of this suggestion?

Agree. From those highlights he played alright generally but his finishing was terrible, wasted at least three clear chances one on one with GK. We dont need a forward who cant finish.

Not going to say Mayuka is going to be as good, but I do recall a certain Jay Rod coming in for some stick for his finishing in his first season with us...

Not going to say Mayuka is going to be as good' date=' but I do recall a certain Jay Rod coming in for some stick for his finishing in his first season with us...[/quote']

But the difference is Jay was young and stepping up a level. Mauyka was cack at Sochaux too.

But the difference is Jay was young and stepping up a level. Mauyka was cack at Sochaux too.

Mayuka is a year younger than Jay Rod.

I'm not saying Mayuka will end up as good as Jay Rod but finishing ability can improve very quickly in football. Personally I don't think we can afford to develop Mayuka in the first team during a period of massive transition however I would not write him off as being the finished product, that's all.

When you look at the Spurs squad that has travelled to the US for their tour, versus the one we have in Belgium its not hard to see why MP made the move he did.

Disingenuous in extremis. At least we'll have the same squad in 5 years time and boy will they be good! It's called 'Building a New Team', something that the WHT yobos know nothing about, their sole expertise being in poaching.

Time you supported the team you supposedly support.

Disingenuous in extremis. At least we'll have the same squad in 5 years time and boy will they be good! It's called 'Building a New Team', something that the WHT yobos know nothing about, their sole expertise being in poaching.

Time you supported the team you supposedly support.

Dead right , most of our team will improve this year as they are all young , they will bulk up become stronger and harder to knock off the ball and generally more competitive due to the experiences gained in the premiership last year.

When you look at the Spurs squad that has travelled to the US for their tour, versus the one we have in Belgium its not hard to see why MP made the move he did.

If you add Gaston, Morgan, and Graziano to our squad list, does it look better ?