Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

So, based on a bit of footage, you can see that we are not well enough prepared and that we are going to get relegated? Ok then :shakey:

I was a bit uneasy when I read about RK saying that we were not doing much physical stuff but just with the ball. If the club has had all the teams from the youngsters up, playing the same way up to now, the. all

of a sudden that has been binned the players are going to pretty confused and unfit.

Yes but two of them are next week, so after that we have 3 weeks and only two games. Not everyone can play 90mina in those, so seems odd not to have a third.

Between the 21st July and the 9th August Saints have 4 games in 19 days and then a week of training to get ready for the Liverpool game. Why are you complaining?

Between the 21st July and the 9th August Saints have 4 games in 19 days and then a week of training to get ready for the Liverpool game. Why are you complaining?

After the Bournemouth game there is 22 days til the Liverpool game and we only have 2 friendlies.

Is that enough, considering we will be wanting some players to play 90mins. It mean some players will get in total less than a full game in 22 days which to me doesnt seem quite right.

We were meant to have the away friendly which has since been cancelled for some reason, would seem there should be another game in that early Aug period to me.

As of Monday we will have played half our friendlies whilst some teams only had their first one today.

After the Bournemouth game there is 22 days til the Liverpool game and we only have 2 friendlies.

Is that enough, considering we will be wanting some players to play 90mins. It mean some players will get in total less than a full game in 22 days which to me doesnt seem quite right.

We were meant to have the away friendly which has since been cancelled for some reason, would seem there should be another game in that early Aug period to me.

As of Monday we will have played half our friendlies whilst some teams only had their first one today.

Why are you going from the Bournemouth game to the Liverpool game? Teams don't generally have first team friendly games in the 7 days before the first game, that time is used to prepare for the Liverpool game. It makes more sense to look at the games between now and the Bayer Leverkusen game and Saints have 4 games in the next 21 days.

I was a bit uneasy when I read about RK saying that we were not doing much physical stuff but just with the ball. If the club has had all the teams from the youngsters up, playing the same way up to now, the. all

of a sudden that has been binned the players are going to pretty confused and unfit.

Me too. The way we have played under Poch requires high fitness levels. When MP arrived the first thing he did was doubled training and got the team fit enough to play the pressing game.

So it points to a change of tactics and that concerns me - a step backwards. The way we played last season is the future.

Me too. The way we have played under Poch requires high fitness levels. When MP arrived the first thing he did was doubled training and got the team fit enough to play the pressing game.

So it points to a change of tactics and that concerns me - a step backwards. The way we played last season is the future.

Spot on. Would be a big loss if we move away from the high intensity, pressing game.

Edited by shurlock

Except there was on PLan B, c, D or E last year. Do you seriously not think that teams might well now cope better this season with the 'pressing game' now they know what to expect?

Plan b does not mean just punt it long.

It was dropping lambert deeper, putting jrod up on his own as the central striker

Not setting the pressing trap at times

We did have a plan b. Just that fans only equate that to "whacking it up to the big man"

Losing our team spirit and commitment as well as the rumoured signings of players such as a 29 year old journey man left back (who was an un played sub for Pompey in their relegation year) are both not conducive to a high tempo pressing game. A pressing game is dependant on having a lot of young fit highly committed players who will play for each other.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

I don't really believe that any new methods that are introduced are going to be designed to have a less fit squad - but you clearly do. I doubt the whole approach from top to bottom has been binned.

We trained with the ball from day one in the summer before our Championship season and were blowing teams away with our attacking possession football.

What points to a change of tactics or a step backwards?

65% possession and only 2 or 3 shots on target all game is not 'the future'

Losing our team spirit and commitment as well as the rumoured signings of players such as a 29 year old journey man left back (who was an un played sub for Pompey in their relegation year) are both not conducive to a high tempo pressing game. A pressing game is dependant on having a lot of young fit highly committed players who will play for each other.

What points to that? All the pre-season vids I have seen suggest those players wanting to stay (or just joined) are still happy and committed and enjoying the new management.

What like our academy players? but then if I RK starts playing to many of them you will no doubt moan about that...............

Out here in Oz, Liverpool are currently "on the Telly" v PNE in a pre-season game; was it shown on Sky over there? Ricky L. is playing (well), no sign of Lallana yet.

won't be, he wasn't in the squad for the game..no idea why. Then again neither were a few others, guess it was pretty random.

won't be, he wasn't in the squad for the game..no idea why. Then again neither were a few others, guess it was pretty random.

Lallana is still on World Cup holiday, as are all Liverpool's England contingent.

Lambert returned to pre-season early to get match-fit.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rickie-lambert-make-liverpool-debut-3880484

Cant keep away form his boyhood heroes for long then!

Probably just trying to get as much time on the pitch as possible in pre-season as he won't be getting as much in the league! ;)

Also, not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but apparently JWP is going to be / has been offered a new contract:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/transfer-talk/news/saints-to-offer-ward-prowse-new-deal_165956.html?utm_source=twitter_links&utm_medium=SMFooty&utm_campaign=twitter

65% possession and only 2 or 3 shots on target all game is not 'the future'

Indeed. Manchester City didnt use the high pressing game last season. Germany did not use the high pressing game in winning the World Cup. When Spain were "the future" they did not use the high pressing game. We lost several games that we should have won because of the high pressing game. It will be interesting to see what Pochettino does next season with Spurs but I am guessing they wont be "the future."

Indeed. Manchester City didnt use the high pressing game last season. Germany did not use the high pressing game in winning the World Cup. When Spain were "the future" they did not use the high pressing game. We lost several games that we should have won because of the high pressing game. It will be interesting to see what Pochettino does next season with Spurs but I am guessing they wont be "the future."

The future of football is keeping the ball out at one end, and scoring at the other. It's really not that revolutionary!

'High pressing game' has become a commentator cliche with very little meaning, but I'm sorry to say that all three of those teams press(ed) quite hard.

I think the biggest difference is that those teams have more quality on the ball than us, so they don't have to do it that often. Pochettino built fitness and mentality which helped us compete with technically superior teams - we lost the ball far more often than those teams, so had to win it back more often. That's why 'high pressing game' became our thing. As the season went on we got better on the ball, so we didn't have to do it as much.

But Spain in their pomp did both: effortless ball retention and pressing beyond what anyone had done before. That's why they were so good!

Edited by DuncanRG

The future of football is keeping the ball out at one end, and scoring at the other. It's really not that revolutionary!

Indeed! You can have all of the possession in the world but if you score less than the other team it is a waste of time. From the WC I thought that the "future" was the counter attack.

Oh, I dunno' Thinking back 6 years or so, that would have seemed like a pretty revolutionary future to me.

High pressing game? We used to call it 'defending from the front'.

And therein lies the misunderstanding around the modern pressing game. A classic Townsendism. Rooney defends from the front; doesn't mean he or teammates are anymore effective or efficient in their pressing.

Does anyone know if Ramirez is due back from holiday today? Would be nice to see him get some game time at Bournemouth on Friday.

Apparently he is due, not sure how we will find out if that is true or not now, but he could join J-Rod in the stands tonight at Swindon, so I guess we'll know later...

And therein lies the misunderstanding around the modern pressing game. A classic Townsendism. Rooney defends from the front; doesn't mean he or teammates are anymore effective or efficient in their pressing.

Same difference.

I'd be inclined to think the difference in terminology is purely the number of players doing the closing down.

"Defending from the front" alone is pointless, doing it in numbers to close off all short passing options is much more effective at winning possession. "Defending from the front" in numbers is pressing, Rooney "defending from the front" is not.

I'd be inclined to think the difference in terminology is purely the number of players doing the closing down.

"Defending from the front" alone is pointless, doing it in numbers to close off all short passing options is much more effective at winning possession. "Defending from the front" in numbers is pressing, Rooney "defending from the front" is not.

Which only works if you win back possession frequently. If you dont, with the high line it can leave the defence exposed.

Yes indeed.

This, in a nutshell. But where we were much weaker than the most effective teams playing this way was in what happened when we won the ball back high up the pitch. That's when the fast forward movement and killer pass is needed before the opposition can regroup and we didn't quite do it.

Agree to a degree, though more important than the numbers is the coordination between players. Even if teams press in numbers, they can still make a mess of it if players don't know how or where to set traps and/or can count on their team mates to do the same.