Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

Love it. Obviously the opposition is very weak, but like the fact that RK is giving all the players a go. I'm a fan of Sharp; been very good in pre-seasons and is just trouble in the box. Would like to see him kept on as an option.

From these friendly matches my wild guess at our current starting XI would be:

[color=#292F33][font=Helvetica Neue]Boruc

Chambers     Fonte    Lovren      Clyne

Schneiderlin

Wanyama        Cork/JWP/Davis

Tadic                                            Ramirez

Pelle[/font][/color]

I wonder how this team would fare in the PL. Not too bad I'd think...

Be interesting to see how much game time this lad gets. We always seem to have a new name ready after breaking through pre-season

oxo, JWP, Shaw and Chambers spring to mind in recent years.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/17062014-sam-mcqueen-signs-four-year-contract-1647510.aspx

Looks like he's off to manure if you read that article:

"McQueen is also relishing training and playing alongside Shaw"

;)

Pelle looks like a proper big fella.

You can sort of see he gets the ball and lays it off before getting into the box

All looks good and easy I guess

Be interesting to see us tested a bit more with the bucket rattlers and Brighton who will both fancy their chances no doubt

From these friendly matches my wild guess at our current starting XI would be:

[color=#292F33][font=Helvetica Neue]Boruc

Chambers     Fonte    Lovren      Clyne

Schneiderlin

Wanyama        Cork/JWP/Davis

Tadic                                            Ramirez

Pelle[/font][/color]

I wonder how this team would fare in the PL. Not too bad I'd think...

With that team Schneiderlin, Wanyama and Cork will need to start chipping in with a few goals

You can sort of see he gets the ball and lays it off before getting into the box

Be interesting to see us tested a bit more with the bucket rattlers and Brighton who will both fancy their chances no doubt

I think the Swindon, Bournemouth and Brighton games will all be a tough test, Swindon still early days of pre season, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose one of them, decent quality local opposition, a week ahead of us in their preparations. Would expect to start seeing a side resembling our first choice by the Bournemouth game.

Difficult to judge on the short clips, but if you watch him his movement off the ball looks good - see the first Ward-Prowse effort, he's looking for a quick return into the box.

So, does the usage of Sharp indicate we aren't looking to sign another striker?

No. They aren't using Sharp as a striker, they are using him in central midfield because he is a contracted senior professional at the club and he makes the numbers up with a number of people who play in central midfield not available at the moment.

they are using him in central midfield because he is a contracted senior professional at the club and he makes the numbers up with a number of people who play in central midfield not available at the moment.

Such speculation MLG! Is it not possible that Koeman has identified Sharp as his first choice to play in an attacking midfield or number 10 role? Maybe Koeman will be the manager to finally unlock Sharp's potential as the new Messi or Maradona or Guly Do Prado!

It's a fair point to be honest, Sharp must have thought he'd have a chance to try and impress this summer with the change in management at a footballing and club level and yet he's being played out of position :lol: :(

He's got a year left on his deal and I suspect another loan move beckons before we wave goodbye to him.

It's a fair point to be honest, Sharp must have thought he'd have a chance to try and impress this summer with the change in management at a footballing and club level and yet he's being played out of position :lol: :(

He's got a year left on his deal and I suspect another loan move beckons before we wave goodbye to him.

I guess Billy would be the ideal example of why moving to a club with ambition doesn't always go well for the player. Billy would have probably been better off staying at Donny where he would have probably become a club legend.

I think the Swindon, Bournemouth and Brighton games will all be a tough test, Swindon still early days of pre season, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose one of them, decent quality local opposition, a week ahead of us in their preparations. Would expect to start seeing a side resembling our first choice by the Bournemouth game.

I know it's only pre-season , but Swindon did lose 2-0 to Eastleigh last night, so they're not setting the world on fire at the moment.

I know it's only pre-season , but Swindon did lose 2-0 to Eastleigh last night, so they're not setting the world on fire at the moment.

I was at the match, Swindon are a very young squad & lightweight. I don't think it will be much of a test. I saw Bournemouth at Eastleigh on Tuesday and they were excellent. That will be a test.

This footage reminds me of when we went to Sweden in '04 when we won 8-1 against Aesbro with Sturrock in charge and it could've been 20-1. I can remember watching that game and saying to a couple of SWF members that we'd get relegated that season. We didn't look well enough prepared given that the season was only a month away and I think it's the same story now. I have a horrible feeling that history is about to repeat itself.

This footage reminds me of when we went to Sweden in '04 when we won 8-1 against Aesbro with Sturrock in charge and it could've been 20-1. I can remember watching that game and saying to a couple of SWF members that we'd get relegated that season. We didn't look well enough prepared given that the season was only a month away and I think it's the same story now. I have a horrible feeling that history is about to repeat itself.

While I don't think we would get relegated, It is worth saying that I can't remember any pre season where we haven't gone somewhere - Norway, Belgium, wherever and smashed some part timers.

Utterly pointless drawing optimism from games that are nothing more than kick abouts.

I bet the same people getting excited will be the same people saying "patience, patience it's a long season" if we lose our first three league games.

Have you been measured up for your coffin yet? It seems you are right on the wrist-slitting brink.

For heaven's sake man cheer up, if Lovren & Morgan stay we have pretty much the same team as last year with an adequate LB replacement for UHOA Shaw, a much better striker than Lambert and I'll bet a pretty decent midfield/winger who may actually produce an end-product from time-to-time. What, my friend, is there to be unhappy about?

While I don't think we would get relegated, It is worth saying that I can't remember any pre season where we haven't gone somewhere - Norway, Belgium, wherever and smashed some part timers.

Utterly pointless drawing optimism from games that are nothing more than kick abouts.

I bet the same people getting excited will be the same people saying "patience, patience it's a long season" if we lose our first three league games.

07/08, smashed a swedish team 12-0, adam hammill got a hattrick and we thought he'd be amazing. He wasn't and we barely stayed up.

But most people seem to be drawing conclusions on individuals rather than the collective, which is a bit more realistic.

I pretty much knew that we had sacrificed our proud 26 year unbroken run in the top flight when we the board bowed to the lunatic fringe appointing Sturrock over Hoddle. The signs are very similat this year for the reasons you suggest except for the fact that we have a much better manager. I predict a relegation fight.

I pretty much knew that we had sacrificed our proud 26 year unbroken run in the top flight when we the board bowed to the lunatic fringe appointing Sturrock over Hoddle. The signs are very similat this year for the reasons you suggest except for the fact that we have a much better manager. I predict a relegation fight.

:lol:Have you ever predicted anything else?

Ruddy hell, your glass is half empty, isn't it. Have you ever been optimistic about saints? I doubt it.

I don't know why people are so scared of relegation - if you look at teams like Burnley, Leicester, Villa, West Brom etc their squads are considerably weaker than ours. In fact, I can't really think of a player in their Starting XIs that I would put in our team apart from Vlaar, and even then we've been linked with him!

We still have a month to bring players in, and I have absolutely no doubt that we'll stay up this season. Yes, we may have lost 3 key players but it's not like we have to play the season with 8 men. In a way I am quite pleased that we've not rushed into making a lot of signings - lots of teams would be panicked by fan reaction and try and placate them by signing lots of players (ala Sunderland last year). I would much rather take the time and choose the right targets to replace departing players than sign a load of sh!te purely to boost numbers.

I know it's not going to happen, but people have to realise that we're barely even a 1/4 of our way through our pre-season schedule yet, so it's really quite irrational to panic over signings or a lack of at this point. Just have some patience, enjoy the pre-season games and wait to see how our team looks when we kick off against Liverpool a month today before getting worried.

500x1000px-LL-c131ae1b_images.jpeg

A comfortable season ahead for us then. And again, I see facts aren't getting in the way of your Glenda love-in. Wigley/Saggy got us relegated, not Luggy.

Jeez this schtick is dull, older and worse than Rudi Skacel. Why persist? It makes you look a knob, not funny.

You haven't understood the psyche of an Internet troll. He cares not about being popular, funny or accurate he just needs the attention. The easiest way to do that is to be irritating and inaccurate, so other people won't be able to resist pointing out the flaws in his argument.

The only way to get rid of people like this is to ignore them. The fact that Dalek still gets a bite out of his Hoddle/lunatic minority/aiming for 17th routine says just as much about you lot as it does about him.

So, based on a bit of footage, you can see that we are not well enough prepared and that we are going to get relegated? Ok then :shakey: