Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

What is the point of pre season games if the majority of the squad now have to be brought in? Anyone who comes in the next two weeks will have missed the vast majority of pre season games yet will probably be first team starters.

What makes it galling. We knew Lallana, lambert and shaw were going months ago

We are still yet to finish replacement all of them

But we had targets that we were "moving on" in June. Bizarre really. Cluster**** of a summer it has to be said.

And who caused this "cluster****" of a summer? Saints? Or the greedy money grabbing let-me-go-or-else players who want to play for bigger clubs? Have a word with yourself. Honestly....

Just on way home from a pretty competitive friendly. Decent first half with Gaston and Tadic showing quality and composure on the ball.

However, we had no threat in behind at all apart from Clyne who was excellent. Oh how we miss the Jay Rod runs to stretch a defence and create space for others.

Pelle looked a handful and very strong but our crosses for him were poor.

Isgrove took his goal well and was lively off the ball and chasing down defenders but didnt really run at them when he had it.

Central defence was worrying at times with a number of simple balls down the channels catching out Yoshida.

Centre mid did well on the ball with JWP in particular spraying some great crossfield passes but a bit lightweight without a ballnwinner with none of Cork, Morgan or Vic in there.

Boruc's kicking utterly woeful throughout.

Second half we werent as good and barely threatened the goal. Thought Cork looked frustrated, he hacked a man down a couple of times and hit a terrible shot and didnt seem his usual self and missed a chance to impress.

No real impact out wide second half and as soon as Hooiveld came on we seemed more edgy at the back. He really is clumsy and generally a hoofy oaf. Centre back a massive area to improve because teams will expose us there.

Gallagher couldnt keep the ball at all and hasnt really put forward a case to be anything more than an occassional sub.

Jack Stephens impressed me in a midfield holding role and Reed looked tidy but by then we had no real threat in the team.

Targett did ok but wasnt overly tested and didnt do anything of note going forward. Clearly composed, but PL ready? I couldnt say based on that.

Mayuka won't do anything at Saints apart from post lots of Instagram photos.

Overall, a good test and we won, played ok and were at times a class above Championship opposition. However, its pretty clear our squad is thin (see bench options) and to have any designs on getting around the top 10 or 12 we need some additions pretty quickly to replace the quality we lost.

Didnt look like a side that will score a lot of goals particularly, but tidy enough at times.

Signings have become of greater importance now than the friendlies - everyone pretty much did what they usually do.

hahahahahahahahahaha he is the club record holder for selfies

And who caused this "cluster****" of a summer? Saints? Or the greedy money grabbing let-me-go-or-else players who want to play for bigger clubs? Have a word with yourself. Honestly....

Club equally to blame for having no contingency plans.

We knew Shaw was leaving for months let still havent replaced him.

Lovren was clear since end of season.

Hardly very decisive.

Club equally to blame for having no contingency plans.

We knew Shaw was leaving for months let still havent replaced him.

Lovren was clear since end of season.

Hardly very decisive.

Okay this is getting ridiculous, but I will try one more time just in case you genuinely suffer with learning difficulties;

Southampton FC does not have the power to force a non Southampton FC player or rival club to sell or accept a transfer to us at any given time we want (i.e. at the start of the transfer window). Contingency plans mean little at all if the player we have targeted isn't ready to move and the club we are buying from isn't ready to sell.

:badger:

Edited by Mallagroth

Okay this is getting ridiculous, but I will try one more time just in case you genuinely suffer with learning difficulties;

Southampton FC does not have the power to force a non Southampton FC player or rival club to sell or accept a transfer to us at any given time we want (i.e. at the start of the transfer window). Contingency plans mean little at all if the player we have targeted isn't ready to move and the club we are buying from isn't ready to sell.

:badger:

But teams seem to be able to force us? Surely we can do the same to those lower down the food chain?

Irs obviously not easy, but hard to see evidence of SFC having a plan this summer.

But teams seem to be able to force us? Surely we can do the same to those lower down the food chain?

Irs obviously not easy, but hard to see evidence of SFC having a plan this summer.

If we signed players from teams substantially lower than us, then yes it is common sense we would get it done much faster. However you would be the first on here crying that they are not good enough players to improve us.

What evidence do you want? The club has repeatedly said we are signing more players, there are transfer rumours linking us to players, our manager has said we are close to completing some deals.

Do you think putting all of our targets out in public is going to help our pursuit of them when we may be competing with much bigger fish across the world? We cannot play with the same rules as Man Utd and Real Madrid.

If anyone wants slight cheering up, this pre-season news might make you smile slightly:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/26/sydney-fc-humble-west-ham-in-wellington

LOL

Quick look on KUMB brought up

After this, I am going to the bookies and putting £20 on us getting relegated.

So that's us and WHU going down only one more team left wonder who it will be.........

5 weeks until the window closes. brilliant

5 weeks to build a team. brilliant

considering we have scouts all around the world, watching players and managers all the time and have multiple enquiries on players most of the time, I am amazed we still have no even replaced the 3 that have left. 2 of which (shaw and lallana) we knew were going months ago.

I really cannot believe we will have time in those 5 weeks to bring in the replacement for shaw, the replacement for morgan (face it, why stay) the replacement for chambers and Lovren PLUS the enhanced squad that reed said we were building on top of all that

Edited by Batman

5 weeks to sign 5 or so players. Just can't feasibly be done. brilliant

5 players? we need more than that mate

the deadline for a stable prem club should be to have the majority of your business done before the start of the season

look how a good start set us up last season....gives you a bit of leeway when you have a wobble. where as, I dunno, losing your first 4 games puts massive pressure on the team and manager

delldays/brett/batman........if you are a WUM, you are a truly poor WUM. If you are not a WUM you do come over as a drama queen. So we'll lose the first 4 games cos you say so.

Why don't you just wait and see what happens prior to making your usual (every day, several times a day) predictions of the sky falling in.

Reckon we will finish top 10.

Most of what Batman says is spot on. If it were any other PL team who finished upper midtable last year then sold 5 or 6 of the best players then we would all be tipping them for a very tough season.

Need minimum 6 new players and thats without the possibility of replacing Schneiderlin and Jay Rod potentially.

To do that in 5 weeks is tough, and our early games are winnable so would be a shame to not take advantage of that.

If we are near the bottom going into the horrendous late November and December run then will be hard to get out.

5 players? we need more than that mate

the deadline for a stable prem club should be to have the majority of your business done before the start of the season

look how a good start set us up last season....gives you a bit of leeway when you have a wobble. where as, I dunno, losing your first 4 games puts massive pressure on the team and manager

We did a fair amount of business after our first game in our first season back in the Prem, and the side that finished the season under MP looked pretty strong. Also, we really don't need to sign more than 5 players.

Confirmed/Possible Outs from last season's first team:

Lambert (replaced by Pelle)

Lallana (replaced by Tadic)

Shaw (Targett?)

Chambers (probably)

Lovren (hopefully)

Osvaldo (very hopefully)

Guly (I miss Guly)

Schneiderlin (possibly)

5 players will be enough to cover the losses of those players, and I don't think MS will leave personally. We have young players coming through to provide squad depth, all we need is to sign players who will add the quality in our squad.

Couldn't Batman and SuperMikey just PM their mutual support? We're all a bit concerned, but you don't need to repeat your own concern quite so often, we got the message some time ago..

Duly noted Sue, just got tired of reading all the negative stuff and wanted to put my point across too.

Just watched the B'muff match. Not impressed with anything tactically, hopefully RK is waiting until his first team arrives before he teaches them.

Was at the game. First half we were playing great stuff, tactics looked spot on.

Lots of high pressing, great link up play between the midfield and strikers, defence solid enough. Perfect for a pre-season friendly.

Was at the game. First half we were playing great stuff, tactics looked spot on.

Lots of high pressing, great link up play between the midfield and strikers, defence solid enough. Perfect for a pre-season friendly.

Agree we looked good at times. Used the width well especially with Clyne and Tadicnon the right.

Final ball the main issue and lack of runs made behind the defence.

#Training

anyone seen Koeman's sarcastic tweet this morning?

This is really starting to irritate me how the press have jumped on this bandwagon. RK wasn't doing anything of the sort, he frequently tweets a picture of the training set up before they get started. He wasn't having a dig, nor was he being funny.

Is it time to panic yet?

With Morgan and Jay being tipped to go to Spurs we will do well to not be fighting relegation all season. This is what it must feel like to live in North Korea where the official website and news sources completely ignore the obvious problems that are happening. I hope more than anything that we can stay up this season, but at this stage no one can know how we will do.

Is it time to panic yet?

With Morgan and Jay being tipped to go to Spurs we will do well to not be fighting relegation all season. This is what it must feel like to live in North Korea where the official website and news sources completely ignore the obvious problems that are happening. I hope more than anything that we can stay up this season, but at this stage no one can know how we will do.

Didn't they win the World Cup? Congrats North Korea.

I honestly dont believe that there was any applied sarcasm in his tweet. I just think that people read into it what they wanted.

It would be a pretty ****ty move for Koeman to comment negatively about players leaing this early on.

Don't see why the Koeman tweet got so much attention, he said 'ready' for training and put a picture up of the pitch with cones etc out - ready for training. If he had said 'training going well!' with the same picture then I could understand it:rolleyes:

Don't see why the Koeman tweet got so much attention, he said 'ready' for training and put a picture up of the pitch with cones etc out - ready for training. If he had said 'training going well!' with the same picture then I could understand it:rolleyes:

People are just looking for a news story mostly likely because the club has been relatively quiet about people leaving. The tweet can be stretched to be sensational when in reality it really isnt. :mcinnes:

No worry, I think it'll be ok.

Koeman is a coach that can buy good players like Pellè with Feyenoord but he can also creat good players.

I'm pretty convinced in Pellè, he is easily world class, follow my words, he is the best Italian striker. Tadic with more pace would have played for Real Madrid, technically he is brilliant.

We will see what comes after him, Fer is a good player, a strong box-to-box player with a good mentality, v. Dijk is a strong defender with a great potential, Vlaar is older but as you have seen at the World Cup, he was one of the best defenders. I don't know if those players are players that you wish as fans but I'm still quite positive about Koeman, I think he has a lot of potential signings in his mind.

For example, Depay and Clasie, the first will cost around 20m, I guess, Clasie around 8m. Expect of Clasie I don't see other Feyenoord players leave, maybe Immers, but I doubt he is good enough for BPL.

For me Pellè and Tadic are top signings, better than Lambert and Lallana.

From what I know about footballers in England, I'd say Gnarby, Moses, v. Ginkel and Stekelenburg

Koeman is a coach that can buy good players like Pellè with Feyenoord but he can also creat good players.

I'm pretty convinced in Pellè, he is easily world class, follow my words, he is the best Italian striker. Tadic with more pace would have played for Real Madrid, technically he is brilliant.

We will see what comes after him, Fer is a good player, a strong box-to-box player with a good mentality, v. Dijk is a strong defender with a great potential, Vlaar is older but as you have seen at the World Cup, he was one of the best defenders. I don't know if those players are players that you wish as fans but I'm still quite positive about Koeman, I think he has a lot of potential signings in his mind.

For example, Depay and Clasie, the first will cost around 20m, I guess, Clasie around 8m. Expect of Clasie I don't see other Feyenoord players leave, maybe Immers, but I doubt he is good enough for BPL.

From what I know about footballers in England, I'd say Gnarby, Moses, v. Ginkel and Stekelenburg

lets hope you are right

Cheers for the update Ron....oops, sorry....I mean Riin ;)